Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"The English are no craic"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Feisar wrote: »
    Our brand of craic revolves around skullin' pints. We act like we took out the patent on fun, which we didn't.

Skulling pints is great craic in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

British people are harder to get to know as friends generally but less craic? Nah. When I worked in the UK, my office was full of quick-witted folks. There’d be frequent laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I think Dublin has a different humour from the west of Ireland. Dubs, have that fast wit even when they don't know it. Bit more cynical, deadpan and dry than other parts of Ireland

Yup, you really would'nt want to be sensitive 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Lads the Ass Milk thread is sinking can you give her a donation post to keep her afloat i seriously think it would be good for the craic!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057919658

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

S02E11-MQbfKTKM-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Can't buy that style of underpants anymore, and they used to be really comfortable.
    As for the wallpaper, you probably might not even be able to get it online.
    "Progress" they call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Pissartist wrote: »
    Who are you quoting ?

Yer Ma.

Obviously it was a commentary on the perception of Dublin and its inhabitants of people from other parts of the country.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Craic is a strange and often indiscernible phenomenon. It's isn't the Irish equivalent of banter imo. The English are every bit in love with the bantz and we are, if not even more so.

I'd assert that it is the Irish person's continuing mission to squeeze ounce of humour out of every moment of life. It's why our football fans are "the best in the world" - We don't go there to worry ourselves with the pros and cons of the performance, we go there because we want to momentarily forget about the bleak monotony or our every day lives by getting drunk, singing and generally being lovely and friendly to everyone we encounter. This desire to always derive the fun/happiness out of life is more than likely directly related to the absolute horrorshow being Irish used to be, for hundreds of years. We learned to enjoy the craic because the craic was all we had. That and spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Has a German discount store been offering special discounts on lobotomy’s, or wtf has happened here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ironic that "craic" didn't exist +50 years ago in the Irish language, a loanword from the English "crack", commonly used in Northern England meaning fun, merriment.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Has a German discount store been offering special discounts on lobotomy’s, or wtf has happened here?

Don't think there was much there to begin with..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Donnacha O'Callaghan is a pox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Ironic that "craic" didn't exist +50 years ago in the Irish language, a loanword from the English "crack", commonly used in Northern England meaning fun, merriment.

Really that's dissapointing but actually I was watching a a video of the Dubliners performing the other day and in the video it shoots to the crowd, if you didn't know better you think you were watching a concert from some eastern bloc country, not a lot of fun or smiles or emotion among the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Now that the Irish are "Having the Bantz" as well, well, God only knows what will happen..

It all leads to genocide, there can be craic or bantz, but not both, they can never peacefully co-exist.

We have a slightly different sense of humour. And we have lots of irish in-jokes.
    we only have in-jokes because nobody else watches our TV shows or speaks our language, so they don't get our cultural references! The Brits have no such privacy.

You're right, though, we have a subtley different sense of humour. Less deadpan than the British, less slapstick than the Yanks. It would be interesting to think about how that happened.

*Thinking about it*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Really that's dissapointing but actually I was watching a a video of the Dubliners performing the other day and in the video it shoots to the crowd, if you didn't know better you think you were watching a concert from some eastern bloc country, not a lot of fun or smiles or emotion among the crowd.
    They were too busy listening I'd say, it wasn't a disco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Anyone see that interview with Donnacha O'Callaghan. He says they're polite and nice but "no craic". Is this an example of Ireland exceptionalism? I wouldn't call what English do when they go to football tournaments "having the craic" but it's not like they're all stuffy posh types. Of course, when he means having the craic he might mean something else. I do actually think it's a uniquely Irish thing. It's not like other countries aren't fun(Spanish I'd say are more extroverted and outgoing than Irish) but the craic is different. It's actually innocent enough messing combined with a self-awareness. There's gob****es who think they're great craic when really they're just ***** but I do think we have a unique sense of humour and happy go lucky attitude. Again, it's not like all Irish people are funny but it's like we have a national light hearted mentality.

What do you think?

I didn't see the interview but I have lived in England for the past 10 years but I know what he means.

The one thing about the English is that unlike the Irish they are very deliberate- there is no spontaneity. Everything has to be planned weeks in advance. Even going for a pint or two never turns into a session. Now I accept as we get older we have other commitments with children etc but there is no craic at all.

Pubs are dangerous places- in urban areas just drinking factories by and large. Heaven forbid if you try to speak to someone in a pub- you are either mental or looking to get your head kicked in. They will actually get up and leave after 2 pints or when the pub closes- they will go home unlike me looking to go on.

I don't go to pubs over here anymore. Just not worth it. I have actually flown to Dublin and gone out on the piss on my own and had some great nights- no chance of that over here.

You also have to be careful with your humor/craic/banter- what we would regard as harmless 'ball hopping' can be taken the wrong way even if they started it.

Let's put it this way- they think Brendan O'Carroll/Mrs Brown is hilarious...:eek:

But look, this is just a generalisation on my part. I am sure there are plenty of others with different experiences.

The English (as in WASPS) are not that friendly- polite but not friendly and they would rather cut their eyes out that speak to you and only if they have to. Asians are more friendly.

Funnily enough I have been on the same flight as DOC back to Cork a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Ah sure we're great crack. Watch video clips of Irish dancing 50 years ago.

The English no craic? Aye, and other European nationalities are a hoot, like the Swiss.

Another big difference with the English- they are as tight as a duck's ass.

Christ, they would kill you over £10.00. I saw a debate over £1.00 (yes one pound) with my running club. Not some drunken crap over kebabs at 4am but two middle aged men making sure they got their £1.00 session in as there some mix up.

I have had multi millionaires sitting in front of me practically crying over a lost £19.40 in the context of a £3m sale.

Another big difference with the English- they are as tight as a duck's ass.

Christ, they would kill you over £10.00. I saw a debate over a £1.00 with my running club. Not some drunken crap over kebabs at 4am but two middle aged men making sure they got their £1.00 session in as there some mix up.

I have had multi millionaires sitting in front of me practically crying over a lost £19.40 in the context of a £3m sale.

whereas in Ireland people piss away €2m on a three bed semi and think nothing of it.

Great craic ;)

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    whereas in Ireland people piss away €2m on a three bed semi and think nothing of it.

Great craic ;)

It happens over here too. Not so much in NI as it's **** up there...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I hate to spoil it lads, but the word "craic" is a gaelicastion of the Middle English word "crak" which means 'loud conversation / chat' - same origin as 'crackling'.

It was used in Northern England and worked its way into Scots English and Northern Ireland and started to get used in the 1950s and then somehow got adopted into Irish in the 1960s and somehow everyone thinks its an Irish word.

There was no craic in Ireland before the 1960s (in many ways).

Sadly, it's about as Irish as Lucky Charms and Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Poor Brits are good craic. The middle class and the wealthy would bore you to tears.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Poor Brits are good craic. The middle class and the wealthy would bore you to tears.

The middle class would alright, but the upper class - jaysus I'd some nights out lol
    They're absolutely mad.

Basically if you're hanging around in England steer clear of the Hyacinth Bucket types.

British are more craic than us there i said it!

They go to weddings and go home at 9 o'clock in silence.

They go to weddings and go home at 9 o'clock in silence.

Hmm, can't say I recognise that part of England!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

flazio wrote: »
    A scouse is probably good craic, a brummie probably less so. There's no one "English" person. Someone from one area is probably more fun then someone on the other side of the same town. It's the same all around the western world.

It’s the same here really. As a Dub I can have the craic with people from the midlands, the southeast and out west.

It’s when you head south that you get the types with a chip on their shoulders about “the real capital” who aren’t as receptive to the “Dublin wit” or generally having a laugh with us.

You can forget about the North, dour and angry are not a good mix for having the craic. Nordie humour tends to revolve around doing screeching impressions of other nordie accents, just watch that show “The Blame Game” to get a better idea of what I’m talking about.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

topper75 wrote: »
    Can't buy that style of underpants anymore, and they used to be really comfortable.
    As for the wallpaper, you probably might not even be able to get it online.
    "Progress" they call it.

Actually crying at this post :pac:

I don't know! My experience of England's been they're great craic. We regularly ended up on mad nights out that were totally unplanned and just happened. Mad house parties that went on until 5 in the morning.

Maybe I didn't hang around the boring parts of the UK enough to get an appreciation for all the stuffiness?

I remember nights out that ended up with making cocktails and karaoke on the Tube. (Illegal now I know (sigh) Tories!)

Or has it gone really weird since Brexit?

That being said I've had mad nights out in Paris, despite the reputation that Parisians have for being a bit stuffy. Same in Belgium and Germany. I think the Netherlands is the only place I've ever ended up at a house party that rolled on for two days and again the Dutch are allegedly stuffy.

The only place I've ever found genuinely stuffy is actually the US. Certain people are really rule bound and quite conservative about loads of issues, especially drink.

I was over in Chicago and went out for a meal after work with 2 French people and we'd a few drinks and the comments we got were like we were some kind of raging alcoholics and how "European" we were.

I'm not saying that Irish drink culture's particularly healthy, but there's a happy medium.

Anteayer wrote: »
    I don't know! My experience of England's been they're great craic. We regularly ended up on mad nights out that were totally unplanned and just happened. Mad house parties that went on until 5 in the morning.

Maybe I didn't hang around the boring parts of the UK enough to get an appreciation for all the stuffiness?

I remember nights out that ended up with making cocktails and karaoke on the Tube. (Illegal now I know (sigh) Tories!)

Age group and socio-economic class make a massive difference in the UK, they're like different species, in Ireland things are pretty mobile, you can have the craic with an older crowd or between the poor and the rich. It doesn't work like that in England.

• Advertisement

Hmm, can't say I recognise that part of England!

The south generally.

It’s the same here really. As a Dub I can have the craic with people from the midlands, the southeast and out west.

It’s when you head south that you get the types with a chip on their shoulders about “the real capital” who aren’t as receptive to the “Dublin wit” or generally having a laugh with us.

You can forget about the North, dour and angry are not a good mix for having the craic. Nordie humour tends to revolve around doing screeching impressions of other nordie accents, just watch that show “The Blame Game” to get a better idea of what I’m talking about.

Well, not that we should be turning on one another when there are innocent Brits to attack, but it's Dubliners I've always had a problem with.

They're like Londoners without the sexy accent and sexy salaries. A highly rude, very unhelpful class of people. Down home in the countryside, people would quite literally go out of their way to help you, and think nothing of it. My neighbour once footed all our turf for absolutely no reason except to be nice. Our neighbours are like family - they come into our yard and take our things without asking, and we do the same. You'd be considered an eccentric to ever complain to them with any seriousness.

I often find that Dubliners have taken from the British (whose jurisdiction was of course only really focused in The Pale) an excessive formality and a most British orderliness. They may not be as bad as the tedious British Middle classes, but there is an inflexibility there, a coldness, that doesn't tend to be found in rural Ireland.

It isn't just an urban thing either. Galwegians are lovely too, as are many people from Limerick and Cork. Although the less said about Belfast, the better.

The south generally.

Possibly might explain it. I mostly went out in London, Manchester and parts of rural Yorkshire - none of which you could call stuffy.

Yorkshire types can be initially a bit dour but they warm up and are generally not too different to over here.

That being said I've had mad nights out in Paris, despite the reputation that Parisians have for being a bit stuffy. Same in Belgium and Germany. I think the Netherlands is the only place I've ever ended up at a house party that rolled on for two days and again the Dutch are allegedly stuffy.

The only place I've ever found genuinely stuffy is actually the US. Certain people are really rule bound and quite conservative about loads of issues, especially drink.

I was over in Chicago and went out for a meal after work with 2 French people and we'd a few drinks and the comments we got were like we were some kind of raging alcoholics and how "European" we were.

I'm not saying that Irish drink culture's particularly healthy, but there's a happy medium.

I think it varies regionally. I have had some mental nights out with lads from Massachusetts and some very boring nights out with lads from Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah I agree with this. As a midlander I find our humour is somewhat similar to Dubs and westerners. Southerners are a bit different, especially Cork people as you mentioned. They become intensely irritating at times, especially when they start up with their anti Guinness sh1te.

Nordies are like a different species. They wouldn't really be liked in my part of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I think Dublin has a different humour from the west of Ireland. Dubs, have that fast wit even when they don't know it. Bit more cynical, deadpan and dry than other parts of Ireland

Dubs are West Brits. Similar humour to the English themselves.

Our neighbours are like family - they come into our yard and take our things without asking, and we do the same.

do you all have wheels on your houses as well?

I think it varies regionally. I have had some mental nights out with lads from Massachusetts and some very boring nights out with lads from Texas.

I'd actually say the most boring nights out I've ever had were in Vancouver which I didn't expect. It's a lovely city but just seems to have lots of workaholic health freaks.

I was there, again with some Irish, English and French people and when we suggested going out on a midweek night (and this was for a meal and some drinks) there was a look of total disapproval. It seems to be the kind of place you do a 10k run and go to bed by 9pm.

Yeah I agree with this. As a midlander I find our humour is somewhat similar to Dubs and westerners. Southerners are a bit different, especially Cork people as you mentioned. They become intensely irritating at times, especially when they start up with their anti Guinness sh1te.

Nordies are like a different species. They wouldn't really be liked in my part of the country.

I think you have to also realise that Corkonian humour is incredibly sarcastic banter. If you take it at face value, you'll definitely get the wrong end of the stick. They slag each other off in a kind of condescending tone and it's literally part of the banter/craic.

They're good craic, just a matter of standing your own ground with the sarcasm. It's different to Dublin's slagging as it can seem kinda real but it's not.

• Advertisement

Well, not that we should be turning on one another when there are innocent Brits to attack, but it's Dubliners I've always had a problem with.

They're like Londoners without the sexy accent and sexy salaries. A highly rude, very unhelpful class of people. Down home in the countryside, people would quite literally go out of their way to help you, and think nothing of it. My neighbour once footed all our turf for absolutely no reason except to be nice. Our neighbours are like family - they come into our yard and take our things without asking, and we do the same. You'd be considered an eccentric to ever complain to them with any seriousness.

I often find that Dubliners have taken from the British (whose jurisdiction was of course only really focused in The Pale) an excessive formality and a most British orderliness. They may not be as bad as the tedious British Middle classes, but there is an inflexibility there, a coldness, that doesn't tend to be found in rural Ireland.

It isn't just an urban thing either. Galwegians are lovely too, as are many people from Limerick and Cork. Although the less said about Belfast, the better.

I find the opposite when you are talking Dub v Country. In the country they're nice to you if they know you. If you're a Dub like me starting a conversation it's all one word answers, vacant stares and lack of eye contact and the occasional probing question into your socio-economic background. Then when your back is turned they're building a profile of you based on many assumptions. In Dublin if people are out for the chats they'll make it obvious, if not they'll abruptly end the conversation, which suits fine.

Agree about Belfast and the North East in general, I've had conversations like this:
    Where are you from: about 3 miles from X
    Where do you live: about 2 miles from X
    What do you do: I work in the civil service
    Where's good to eat/drink around here: I don't really know

do you all have wheels on your houses as well?

Funnily enough, as I wrote that I noticed that our trailer has been missing from the yard for a while. The neighbours probably have it.

I'm not clapping rural people on the back here, no doubt this inter-reliance is partly self-serving, and would be somewhat obsolete/unreliable in an urban environment. But I do think it translates into a personality that is generally more generous and selfless.

I find Dubs a bit mean actually. There, I said it.

Dubs are West Brits. Similar humour to the English themselves.

Brits are east Dubs. No seriously though, there's little in common there.

I'd actually say the most boring nights out I've ever had were in Vancouver which I didn't expect. It's a lovely city but just seems to have lots of workaholic health freaks.

I was there, again with some Irish, English and French people and when we suggested going out on a midweek night (and this was for a meal and some drinks) there was a look of total disapproval. It seems to be the kind of place you do a 10k run and go to bed by 9pm.

Agree with this, even Montreal, which is the most craic of anywhere in Canada, was quite dull midweek.

It's horses for courses though and cultures vary. For all the positives about Irish culture and craic and friendliness and it is mostly very genuine, I've heard a few people (particularly from the continent but also even Irish people who've moved city) say that they've found it can sometimes be skin deep.

I've certainly noticed that in Cork City. You could be on a night out and having great banter and craic with some group of people and you meet them in a different context and they just blank you.

What I've heard from French people in particular is they find that people are all enthusiasm and craic in a bar and then if you try to actually make friends that they're cold as ice and very cliquey, again that could be a Cork thing I don't know. I certainly noticed it in university with some people who'd have their clique from school / home place. France is tough to make that initial connection but people are very open to inviting people home for dinner and that kind of thing in a way that's less common here.

I know part of that is we tend to use the pub as our living room, but it's not always interpreted the way we think it is - i.e. not inviting people around for dinner after you've known them for weeks can look very cold to a culture where that's normal.

It can be hard to have a true perspective on a culture when you're embedded in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Any nights out I have had with English people have been great craic. I have friends, work colleagues and family who are English, whom enjoy a good night out and having fun. I think the OP may need more socialization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's horses for courses though and cultures vary. For all the positives about Irish culture and craic and friendliness and it is mostly very genuine, I've heard a few people (particularly from the continent but also even Irish people who've moved city) say that they've found it can sometimes be skin deep.

I've certainly noticed that in Cork City. You could be on a night out and having great banter and craic with some group of people and you meet them in a different context and they just blank you.

What I've heard from French people in particular is they find that people are all enthusiasm and craic in a bar and then if you try to actually make friends that they're cold as ice and very cliquey, again that could be a Cork thing I don't know. I certainly noticed it in university with some people who'd have their clique from school / home place. France is tough to make that initial connection but people are very open to inviting people home for dinner and that kind of thing in a way that's less common here.

I know part of that is we tend to use the pub as our living room, but it's not always interpreted the way we think it is - i.e. not inviting people around for dinner after you've known them for weeks can look very cold to a culture where that's normal.

It can be hard to have a true perspective on a culture when you're embedded in it.

This is our worst national trait. We can be very very stand offish and reserved in the cold light of day. Like no link between seeing a person on a night out and then just randomly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

He is more or less correct I think. But really, its a compliment to the English, and the criticism is consistent with the mindset that values 'craic'. The English are more sophisticated - or a least a significant proportion of them are. Craic, as Dunners means it, is that they arent as into childish waffle, pranks, simpleminded jokes, or basically talking bollix with great facility, which is the sort of socialising that appeals to a lot of the Irish. Craic is what fills a gap for many unable to engage in more adult or serious conversation. Fundamentally more interesting and stimulating, but not for the average 'craic' merchant. Long live no craic - lifes too short, and there are more interesting things to engage in than craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Down home in the countryside, people would quite literally go out of their way to help you, and think nothing of it. My neighbour once footed all our turf for absolutely no reason except to be nice.

No they are not.

That is because you are FROM there.

They don't do that for everyone.

Dubliners are nice to people they know too ..anyone can do that!

Country people are nice to the people they know well in their area. It isn't that they are nicer people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭pgj2015

This is our worst national trait. We can be very very stand offish and reserved in the cold light of day. Like no link between seeing a person on a night out and then just randomly.

this would be a funny issue to see on the savage eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Anyone see that interview with Donnacha O'Callaghan. He says they're polite and nice but "no craic". Is this an example of Ireland exceptionalism? I wouldn't call what English do when they go to football tournaments "having the craic" but it's not like they're all stuffy posh types. Of course, when he means having the craic he might mean something else. I do actually think it's a uniquely Irish thing. It's not like other countries aren't fun(Spanish I'd say are more extroverted and outgoing than Irish) but the craic is different. It's actually innocent enough messing combined with a self-awareness. There's gob****es who think they're great craic when really they're just ***** but I do think we have a unique sense of humour and happy go lucky attitude. Again, it's not like all Irish people are funny but it's like we have a national light hearted mentality.

What do you think?

The english are more than one tribe though - there's outside london, northern england and so on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement