Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foriegn holidays are selfish

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Nothing wrong with getting to know your locale and country better. Our great grandparents did just fine without "city breaks" every other month. I applaud you.

I find rural living easier, I go to Dublin every two year's, get my moneys worth and head back over the Shannon, back to the country side.

Back to the Western fringe of good hope, living like my grandparents.

Bushcraft was my choice now im reaping the rewards.
    Id love to go somewhere like Canada or the northern parts of America, like those places you'd see in Twin Peaks

I don't like the urban lifestyle, not the people just the atmosphere...

Someday ill maybe get into a plane and see bow my rural cousins live across the ocean...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No reason we couldn't have them as we move on tbh. For right now though, it's a healthier alternative.

You have possibly underestimated the size of some boats, they look small on the telly but up close they can be quite substantial. The Ulysses car ferry for example weighs 50,000 tonnes, and that's before the cars and trucks pile on.

And that's just to move shít between these little rocks. Up the game to ocean going freight and you're dealing upwards of 3 or 4 times that, when empty.

You'd want quite a big sail now wouldn't you!

What would you think of the following:

I set up a tourist charter plan. I get a big bunch of rich fukwits and fly them to North Sentinel island (in the news recently). Of course I heard the locals there don't like outsiders. No worries, I'll bring a small platoon of mercs. They'd shoot any of the Sentialese on sight if we see them being agreesive. Then we spend a few weeks boozing on the island. Flash forward a few years and all the natives are gone and the place is India's answer to Magaloof.

Would you think that's ok? Why not?

Oh, I didn't realise these French whingers were being shot or that the tourists had brought a platoon of mercs to force the issue.

That is quite a bit more serious I suppose.

I thought this was about tourists walking down public streets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

You have possibly underestimated the size of some boats, they look small on the telly but up close they can be quite substantial. The Ulysses car ferry for example weighs 50,000 tonnes, and that's before the cars and trucks pile on.

And that's just to move shít between these little rocks. Up the game to ocean going freight and you're dealing upwards of 3 or 4 times that, when empty.

FWIW, I'm against private car ownership too. So that would free up room on the Ferries for more people.

I'm glad we're talking about this though, we've moved on from unsustainable air travel and talking about the alternatives and how they can improved.

You could quite easily have decent sail boats going between Ireland and the UK and France.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The heaviest, as far as I know, sail-only vessel was the German five-masted windjammer Preussen, launched in 1902 with a displacement of 11,150 tons. Compare with Royal Carribbean Cruises' Symphony of the Seas, with a gross tonnage of 228,000 (I haven't been able to find it's actual displacement, but it's bloody heavy!) and between propulsion and everything else a total of 240,000 horsepower worth of supercharged diesel stomp. :D

• Advertisement

FWIW, I'm against private car ownership too. So that would free up room on the Ferries for more people.

I'm glad we're talking about this though, we've moved on from unsustainable air travel and talking about the alternatives and how they can improved.

You could quite easily have decent sail boats going between Ireland and the UK and France.

We do have.

They tend not to carry forty foot trucks however - that'll be where your plan fails!

jimgoose wrote: »
    and between propulsion and everything else a total of 240,000 horsepower worth of supercharged diesel stomp. :D

That would want to be some sail!

Indeed yes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

We do have.

They tend not to carry forty foot trucks however - that'll be where your plan fails!

Maybe Toyota can make a self charging electric powered ship.
    you know, with a diesel generator to charge the battery ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yet another example of local communities and cultures bending under the selfishness and narcissist tendencies of today's holiday makers.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/03/rue-cremieux-paris-instagram-tourists-where-to-take-pictures/584164/

We see it everywhere now. Local cultures and communities being nothing more than the playthings and Like-vehicles of the modern "open minded" traveller. These people treat the world like their own private zoo and care nothing for its inhabitants of the state of it.

Aside from all this, they're happy to destroy the planet with all the air pollution.

I personally think private air travel should be banned. The planet cannot take it. Not sure about how to limit the destruction of local communities and ways of life by inbound arsehles. Maybe some quota for the amount of visitors to each place?

Ok, this argument is actually better than the killing brown peoples pension (because pensions don’t have to do that) but it would still be catastrophic for employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

_Brian wrote: »
    blah blah blah..

France nets 198billion to its GDP from tourism every year... I dont think they are worried about having "too many tourists"..

So just to hell with the local residents then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Oars is where it is at. I bags being hortator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

_Brian wrote: »
    France nets 198billion to its GDP from tourism every year... I dont think they are worried about having "too many tourists"..

Well ... They do kind of have a point. Most of that 198bn ends up in just a few locations (Paris, Disneyland-Paris and Paris, with the rest of it shared between the Loire Valley, Provence and Bordeaux). Where I live - plenty of instagrammable sites - tourist numbers are measured in 100s per year. Not 100(k)s, just 100s. :eek:

Rather ironically, one of the reasons we're so far off the map is because the locals don't travel themselves and have little experience of the outside world, so most actors in the tourist industry here (including our local tourism development agency) are doing things the same way they've been done for the last fifty years. That might sound like a great traditional way of life, but it isn't, because the rest of the world has moved on - even for the folks who live and work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You need a sun holiday :D

Oars is where it is at. I bags being hortator.

Is that the same as the big fat fella who beats the drum that the oarsmen keep time with? I'd love that! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jimgoose wrote: »
    Is that the same as the big fat fella who beats the drum that the oarsmen keep time with? I'd love that! :pac:

That is the very chap. Though you might get very unpopular if you announce ramming speed on the ferry to holyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

a garden hose, or maybe o bucket of piss might discourage them?

That is the very chap. Though you might get very unpopular if you announce ramming speed on the ferry to holyhead.

Be some craic though. Interestingly, the mighty Preussen currently sits in 20 feet of water near Dover, her keel broken, after being accidentally rammed by a small British cross-channel steamer farther West in 1910.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Stop posting nonsense threads

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement