Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foriegn holidays are selfish

Options
  • 06-03-2019 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Yet another example of local communities and cultures bending under the selfishness and narcissist tendencies of today's holiday makers.
    It’s easy to see why Paris’s Rue Crémieux is such a hit on Instagram.

Filled with small pastel-painted houses, weathered cobblestones, and blooming window boxes, the car-free street near Bastille has become one of Europe’s most popular spots to strike a pose, with the hashtag #ruecremieux now linking to over 31,000 images.

But the popularity of this Instagrammer’s paradise is making it hell for residents. Sick of influencers, rappers, yoga aficionados, and fashion shoots blocking their doorways, Rue Crémieux’s residents have had enough. This week, the street’s residents’ association demanded that the city of Paris protect their privacy by closing the street to visitors on evenings and weekends.

Residents of the street certainly make the Instagram onslaught sound wearisome. According to Antoine, a Rue Crémieux resident interviewed by radio station France Info, the street’s ’grammability has turned daily life there into an ordeal.

“We sit down to eat and just outside we have people taking photos—rappers who take two hours to film a video right beneath the window, or bachelorette parties who scream for an hour. Frankly, it’s exhausting.”

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/03/rue-cremieux-paris-instagram-tourists-where-to-take-pictures/584164/

We see it everywhere now. Local cultures and communities being nothing more than the playthings and Like-vehicles of the modern "open minded" traveller. These people treat the world like their own private zoo and care nothing for its inhabitants of the state of it.

Aside from all this, they're happy to destroy the planet with all the air pollution.

I personally think private air travel should be banned. The planet cannot take it. Not sure about how to limit the destruction of local communities and ways of life by inbound arsehles. Maybe some quota for the amount of visitors to each place?

Comments

You need to relax, let go of matters beyond your control.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think you need a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Is that Dennis Bergkamp?

Ah, I get your shtick now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Pensions, blood and now holidays lol.

https://touch.boards.ie/search/?userid=899753&sort=newest&threads=1

Jeez we will be all bled dry and work till we die under that regime...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Jumped shark, 0/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

woodchuck wrote: »
    I think you need a holiday.

I'm going to county Clare for a week in May. Sustainable holidays are the wave of the future.

People lamp on about plastic straws but think nothing of karting their arses to Thailand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Not sure about how to limit the destruction of local communities and ways of life by inbound arsehles. Maybe some quota for the amount of visitors to each place?

Many of these communities are hugely dependent on tourism for their livelihood. Ban tourism, and the the social and economic consequences will be devastating for the very communities you want to "protect."

Is that Dennis Bergkamp?

I always found his story interesting. The sheer planning and prep needed, really hit home that going a far distance is something which should be carefully considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm hardly going to take a holiday for someone else's benefit...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Yet another example of local communities and cultures bending under the selfishness and narcissist tendencies of today's holiday makers.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/03/rue-cremieux-paris-instagram-tourists-where-to-take-pictures/584164/

We see it everywhere now. Local cultures and communities being nothing more than the playthings and Like-vehicles of the modern "open minded" traveller. These people treat the world like their own private zoo and care nothing for its inhabitants of the state of it.

Aside from all this, they're happy to destroy the planet with all the air pollution.

I personally think private air travel should be banned. The planet cannot take it. Not sure about how to limit the destruction of local communities and ways of life by inbound arsehles. Maybe some quota for the amount of visitors to each place?

Your man on boards says we should stop Air Travel. Let's dig up Christopher Columbus while we are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was just trying to think when I last flew. I think it was 2013 :eek: , when I went to Bratislava. (Does that make me a good little boy?) I renewed my passport 2 years ago but haven't used it for travel yet.

What was the last time you flew, Eldon_Maxbank?

Many of these communities are hugely dependent on tourism for their livelihood. Ban tourism, and the the social and economic consequences will be devastating for the very communities you want to "protect."

They'll still get tourism but on a smaller and more sustainable level. Yes, I conceed that Hawaii may have an economic hit but so what. The planet will be better, the people living there will be better, the only one losing out is the selfish person flying there for Bally-go-backwards in County Galway.

(I'm from galway myself)

I was just trying to think when I last flew. I think it was 2013 :eek: , when I went to Bratislava. (Does that make me a good little boy?) I renewed my passport 2 years ago but haven't used it for travel yet.

What was the last time you flew, Eldon_Maxbank?

2016 to London (was there for the Brexit vote!). Looking back on it I should have take the ferry.

I'm going to county Clare for a week in May. Sustainable holidays are the wave of the future.

People lamp on about plastic straws but think nothing of karting their arses to Thailand.

You won't get much f*ckie suckie five dollar in lisdoonvarna.

Hoorah for air travel.

By the way some of us have respect for our surroundings when we travel abroad.

Your man on boards says we should stop Air Travel. Let's dig up Christopher Columbus while we are at it.

Private air travel. Necessary flights would fo course continue.

Being able to fly to malaga for the price of a pint is a recent development. There's no "right" to it.

2016 to London (was there for the Brexit vote!). Looking back on it I should have take the ferry.

Ferries use diesel engines too. Then you'll have to take a bus or train and\or drive to your onward destination.

Unless you plan on swimming and walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Did you vote to stay?

gozunda wrote: »
    Did you vote to stay?

Just visiting.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/apr/19/how-to-offset-flight-emissions

For everyone going abroad
    How can I offset my flight emissions?

To assuage your feelings of guilt, try carbon offsetting, where you tot up your emissions using an online carbon calculators and pay a company to counterbalance your climate pollution by investing in a project elsewhere. For your flight from Helsinki to London this would be around £20, according to climatefriendly.com. Some projects use forestry to absorb carbon elsewhere or invest in renewables. Others promise to retire permits from the international carbon market (fewer permits means they become more expensive, theoretically making it more expensive for others to pollute).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

blah blah blah..

France nets 198billion to its GDP from tourism every year... I dont think they are worried about having "too many tourists"..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I always found his story interesting. The sheer planning and prep needed, really hit home that going a far distance is something which should be carefully considered.

Do you reckon he would have done his bit saving the planet or would it be offset by the cars and trains he used instead?

Being able to fly to malaga for the price of a pint is a recent development. There's no "right" to it.

Air travel is a fabulous convenience.

Giving it up would be such a retrograde step.

You may as well ban all other vehicles while you are at it.

Ferries use diesel engines too. Then you'll have to take a bus or train and\or drive to your onward destination.

Unless you plan on swimming and walking.

All far less polluting than flying. And it'll keep more people "localish" and if you do manage to go really far, you'll appreciate it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The app I use to track my flying informs me my footprint currently stands at 123.3 tonnes CO2, 6.67kg methane & 5.45kg nitrous oxide.

I tell housekeeping I'll use the same towels for the duration of my stay though, so that's me making it right with the world OP.

Do you reckon he would have done his bit saving the planet or would it be offset by the cars and trains he used instead?

Boards logic:
    Eating one big mac on one day a year is the same as eating them for every meal for a year. Because they both are fattening. no difference

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What's public air travel? Aer Lingus being state owned again and no competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

You have got to admire the creativity of the threads that the OP starts

_Brian wrote: »
    blah blah blah..

France nets 198billion to its GDP from tourism every year... I dont think they are worried about having "too many tourists"..

I wonder when the last person is alive and sees the Earth begin its descent in a Venus-type hothouse, what will they do with all the cash?

Ush1 wrote: »
    What's public air travel? Aer Lingus being state owned again and no competition?

Going abroad on a flight for non-critical issues i.e. for pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Jarvis Cocker called it
    'Cause everybody hates a tourist,
    Especially one who thinks it's all such a laugh,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement