Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth Strike

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

Genuine question because I feel like I'm missing something obvious, what is this connection between migration and global population that means you can't logically advocate for halting or reversing population growth and also advocate for unrestricted or nearly unrestricted migration? What's the difference between having 20 people in region A and 80 people in region B, and having 40 people in region A and 60 people in region B?

Ethnic groups will not allowed themselves to be replaced. It's beyond stupid trying to force plantations upon the peoples of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

some people will decide not to have kids. personally i admire them for making this decision and being comfortable stating it.
    the world has no shortage of people already.

what type of reception would she have gotten if she'd said ill have as many kids as i possibly can and may need to sign on to support them.
    Well it's not like it can only be one or the other. I don't think it's admirable to have children or not have children.
    Zorya wrote: »
    How many of those people making a personal decision feel the need to start political movements? I don't have a problem at all with people not having children, many of my friends and family have made that choice but to elevate that choice to an ideology is problematic.
    It is for one thing a biological imperative in the species to reproduce, it is hardwired in our evolutionary traits - to make a problem out of fundamental evolutionary activities is unwise to say the least. Anti natalism is a very nihilistic philosophy on so many levels.
    Also to live with the level of fear and depression they describe is very unhealthy.
    If the political statement was simply "I'm not having children" in and of itself, I'd agree. I think there is or was the "childfree movement" which just seems like "lady doth protest too much" carry-on. Fine, don't have children - no need for the big production. Nobody has ever given me or friends hassle for no children yet - a lot of the judgements people talk about are likely in their own heads.

But in this case, there is a specific reason for their choice - and one they feel so strongly about that they're compelled to spread the word. I don't think anyone who really wants a family will be put off though, nor will those who say "Yeah, good reason not to have kids" not be people who wouldn't be having children anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe we need to get all the medical research people, the surgeons, the nurses, doctors etc to stop discovering new ways of making us live longer?

If your time is up, its up. Off you go. No treatment for you my old bucko. Didn't you hear, the planet can't cope. You've had your turn.

You could say medical and technological advancement is killing the planet. Evolution isn't being allowed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe we need to get all the medical research people, the surgeons, the nurses, doctors etc to stop discovering new ways of making us live longer?

If your time is up, its up. Off you go. No treatment for you my old bucko. Didn't you hear, the planet can't cope. You've had your turn.

You could say medical and technological advancement is killing the planet. Evolution isn't being allowed to happen.

Nah, rather have less people but longer lives -- let's be like the Elves in LoTRs! ;)

Tried listening to the video, but could only manage a couple of minutes of the 2 crazy people.

The planet is going to be around in 100, 200, 300 yrs, and there will be loads of insects and animals and humans on it too. They really are doomsday merchants, and I would honestly say there is a little bit of mild mental illness with these 2. They are like crazy conspiracy nuts, and to get so depressed about the world is irrational (imho).

But hey, just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    Finally, the justification i was looking for!

Well just don't wash your hands after you pee, and you'll not waste any water.

Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Usually when I ask friends who have kids why they decided to have kids, the response is ‘sure who’s going to look after me when I’m old?’

Yeah let’s overpopulate the planet so your kids can visit you in your nursing home.

Must admit in almost 30 years of having had children that thought has literally NEVER crossed my mind. Nor have I ever heard it from any of my friends, but then maybe we are hardy folk who plan on going into the woods when old age dawns. I hope my children are having a good time and do not feel bound to me in my old age. There used to be a grotty old nursing home on the road to Dublin from here - The Omega, it was cheerfully called :rolleyes:, what a name for an old folks home - and my oldest from the age of about 8 or 9 used to say whenever we passed it, tha's where Mammy and Daddy are going when we don't want them, which would start a cheer in the back seat of Omega! Omega! from the others. :pac:

Yes, I was looking up population growth and it is actuallyboth the longevity as a result of improved health care and the drop in infant mortality that is most contributing to growth, not some frenzied breeding by the masses. And the drop in infant mortality is what is directly causing people in all parts of the world to have fewer babies. There is an innate intelligence in the species that seems to be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

People arent living that long, life expectancy is still only early 80's

Anyway, its good that people live longer lives, they have more experienced and knowledge to teach younger people and can work for longer. The more new children there are and the higher death rates the more learnt knowledge is lost and needs to be taught anew

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

If the political statement was simply "I'm not having children" in and of itself, I'd agree. I think there is or was the "childfree movement" which just seems like "lady doth protest too much" carry-on. Fine, don't have children - no need for the big production. Nobody has ever given me or friends hassle for no children yet - a lot of the judgements people talk about are likely in their own heads.

But in this case, there is a specific reason for their choice - and one they feel so strongly about that they're compelled to spread the word. I don't think anyone who really wants a family will be put off though, nor will those who say "Yeah, good reason not to have kids" not be people who wouldn't be having children anyway.

Just when you thought that vegans were the most insufferable group of moral grandstanders, this crowd has just casually said 'hold my beer vegans....'

What are the chances that these same cat ladies will be bitching about the struggles and expense of IVF to anybody that will listen a decade from now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

wakka12 wrote: »
    People arent living that long, life expectancy is still only early 80's

Anyway, its good that people live longer lives, they have more experienced and knowledge to teach younger people and can work for longer. The more new children there are and the higher death rates the more learnt knowledge is lost and needs to be taught anew

More of us are getting there. It wasn't too long ago when a high amount of kids would be dead before puberty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,812 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Zorya wrote: »
    This seems to me to be neurotic.

To be living in such fear, to be so daily depressed - anti-natalists wouldn't be much fun as flatmates, I think.

Some of the forced birthers around would be even worse flatmates

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Some of the forced birthers around would be even worse flatmates

Eeeeewww. :( What a horrid phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

El_Bee wrote: »
    pTsqlbl.jpg

Wow, that's so fcked up. Fewer white babies more immigrants. :D

What a creepy publication.

Advertisement