Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glorious grudges!

• 19-12-2018 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

As I posted already in the thread “What are you reading atm” I’m reading atm a fabulous and hilarious book: How to hold a grudge. From resentment to contentment – the power of grudges to transform your life.

The author, Sophie Hannah, is actually a crime writer that I admire greatly because of her brilliant style, her wicked plots and dark and yet warm sense of humour.
    https://sophiehannah.com/how-to-hold-a-grudge-2/

I’m grinning while reading, sometimes laughing out loud, to the consternation of my cat. And I finally see the light, or the enlightenment of holding grudges.

I’m a passionate grudge holder, I can hold them for decades and in one case beyond the death of the instigator of one grudge. It’s not that I’m always angry, resentful or miserable. I’m just aware that someone did something that caused the grudge and I’m henceforth wary of this person without being vengeful.

I’m not one to forget and forgive. Or maybe forgive at some stage or rather can’t be bothered anymore. I think that the sanctimonious forgiveness, some people utter after some tragedy, is completely false. It’s human nature to be hurt, angry and feeling resentful, at least in the immediate aftermath of a certain grudge-inducing incident. A grudge is a healthy thing to deal with hurt. And after some time it can turn into forgiveness, maybe or maybe not.

I found the Irish are especially good and long lasting grudge holders, I think they have the longest lasting grudge in the world, 800 years or so...

And village life in Ireland wouldn’t be half the fun without grudges over generations between certain families that don’t even know anymore what the original reason was.

So do you hold grudges? And why? And do you cherish them?
    Do tell.

Comments

Hold on tightly, let go lightly. I've little room for grudges, matters consigned to the past remain there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Feic that noise. You carry a grudge your carrying around a curse you've cursed your own self with, whoever or whatever slighted you to cause you this feeling almost certainly doesn't give a damn or isn't thinking about it, so why should you. Living well is the best revenge

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Woody harellson in true detective. " I don't hold long term grudges. That s**t causes cancer"

Advertisement