Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas FM to pull 'Baby it's Cold Outside'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, bit of flirtation, that's the same as locking up your daughter in a basement and raping her repeatedly.

* thinks you've lost the plot*

**sees post you quoted**

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Did they play the song often in the past?

The strange thing is, Baby it's cold outside is actually about women owning their sexuality, not 'date rape'. It's essentially sexual liberation, not supposed 'rape culture'.

The people trying to ban it are those who do the 'slut walks'. They don't get that it's very liberal, ahead of it's time in many respects.

https://www.indy100.com/article/baby-its-cold-outside-consent-song-drink-spiked-feminist-feminism-christmas-misogyny-8084571

Retards will be Retards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Retards will be Retards

Can't say that anymore-it's insulting to those with mental disabilities...
    It's crazy... (cue the thought police).

There was discussion of this on Ivan and Matt's show (but Anton Savage standing in for Ivan)...and, well...it went stupid pretty quickly. (They played a clip where Tom Jones and Cerys Mathews did a cover of the song). Their bias showed immediately-that video has a 'magic drink' where suddenly good girl Cerys goes 'bad'-and if you see how the video plays out, essentially she's made Tom her 'sex slave'. But they only play 'magic drink' bit/

First, the 'lady dj' comes out and 'ignore the analysis on the internet refuting this, because the person who wrote it was a man, Women end up in that situation more than men do and don't understand it's meaning''...yet they didn't mention that in the film from which the song was used gender reversed halfway through the song.
    Niall Boylan was on to refute the allegations-and referring to the clip, referred to it as a 'magic drink' to make her fall in love with him-but then the lady DJ goes crazy about how 'creepy' that is.

Kevin Sharkey was there-he made an interesting point about how 'if you take out all these things in history, suddenly you're trying to erase history'. Books often have horrible incidents in them that are treated as everyday-but you take that out, suddenly you're removing history-and books are often historical, showing history and events that historians might ignore.

Songs are the same-some of the 'prettiest' songs are actually ugly as hell-
    Gilbert O'Sullivan's 'Alone Again, Naturally' is a suicide letter, for gawd's sake.

I remember there was a fuss about this song last year and i just didn't get why. there is clearly nothing wrong with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The feminist video posted a few pages back seems to have an issue with all Christmas songs (in their own words). If that is where this started, how on earth did it get legs (how did it anyway)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This movie should be banned an all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

'Baby it's Cold Outside' is the latest victim of the crazy age we live in, having been pulled by Christmas FM.

What next?

Isn't it about time then that we removed Christ from Christmas!
    It only gives credence to dying and suffering and sacrifice.
    Would Jesus if was here today be an ISIS supporter?

Suckit wrote: »
    The feminist video posted a few pages back seems to have an issue with all Christmas songs (in their own words). If that is where this started, how on earth did it get legs (how did it anyway)?

Her most famous quote is 'everything is racist, everything is sexist, everything is homophobic-and it's up to us to point it out'. Tells you all you need to know about her from that quote alone.
    Isn't it about time then that we removed Christ from Christmas!
    It only gives credence to dying and suffering and sacrifice.
    Would Jesus if was here today be an ISIS supporter?

They already do-in America there was this grand stand push to say 'Happy Holidays' instead of Merry Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Fordcspri23

Is it common for a lesbian to be a feminist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Zulu wrote: »
    So put-up or shut-up!
    Counter my offer, donate to the charity! ;)
    Or are you just all talk?

Tumbleweed.
    Figured.

All talk. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

LON will be going mad this is finally getting some attention when she's off on sabbatical or wherever she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ugh I dont even care enough to find out who or what group apparently take issue with this but I imagine its entirely for publicity, no reasonable person is going to have a problem with a light hearted song from a different era, its just looking for problems where there are none

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I always just read it as a flirty song. There's far worse out there . Neill Diamond beloved of grannies everywhere came up with an actual paedo anthem by today's standards in "Girl you'll be a woman soon" whose lyrics include :

"Don't you know, girl, you'll be a woman soon
    Please, come take my hand
    Girl, you'll be a woman soon
    Soon, you'll need a man"

I know it was a more permissive era , but Still, that's creepy as **** .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I heard they're banning Jaw's 2
    "Smile you son of a bitch"

I always just read it as a flirty song. There's far worse out there . Neill Diamond beloved of grannies everywhere came up with an actual paedo anthem by today's standards in "Girl you'll be a woman soon" whose lyrics include :

Soon, you'll need a man"

Wasn't this just about a person (of no discernible age) loosing their virginity? :confused:

(I mean making it about pedophilia is doing the same as those opposed to Baby its cold outside, and construing the worst possible meaning. Is it not?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Sting will be getting it next....

Iron maiden too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So put-up or shut-up!

Counter my offer, donate to the charity! ;)

Or are you just all talk?

All talk. I couldn't give a shít really. A spotify playlist is 100 times better than Christmas FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

To be fair I've noticed that Baby it's cold outside is a bit rapey. But I wouldn't call for it to be banned. It's just from another era. I didn't see it as an instruction manual.

That said the line where the lass sings 'say what's in this drink?' bangs of Hot Cosby, as South Park would put it.

Cienciano wrote: »
    All talk. I couldn't give a shít really. A spotify playlist is 100 times better than Christmas FM
    Boooooo-urns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

It's just from another era.

That said the line where the lass sings 'say what's in this drink?' bangs of Hot Cosby, as South Park would put it.

You acknowledge that the song is from another era, yet you still insist on taking the quoted line out of its era's real meaning and context, and twist it for today's agendas. You're a part of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

"Say, what's in this drink?' is just as archaic a saying as "ain’t that a bite" or calling someone "daddy-o".

It means nothing in today's context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

"Say, what's in this drink?' is just as archaic a saying as "ain’t that a bite" or calling someone "daddy-o".

Also, the song was written after prohibition and during world war 2. Maybe he was using Irish whiskey or Kahlua? Maybe she was just curious what was in the ****ing drink.

Relikk wrote: »
    It's just from another era.

You acknowledge that the song is from another era, yet you still insist on taking the quoted line out of its era's real meaning and context, and twist it for today's agendas. You're a part of the problem.

Well the song is from another era. And maybe getting someone drunk to help you get the leg over was fine back then. But it's a bit off colour now. Can't you see that?

I presume it means he made her a strong gin and tonic that's more gin than tonic, as an example.

Like I said, it bangs of Hot Cosby.

I presumed it meant the drink is strong. Is that what it meant back then

Soon, you'll need a man"

Far worse out there than that.

Bruce Springsteen - I'm on fire
    The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar
    The Kinks - Art Lover
    The Knack - My Sharona
    The Police - Don't stand so close to me

And on... and on... and on...

I presumed it meant the drink is strong. Is that what it meant back then

No, she wanted to blame the drink, to have an excuse for staying over, as she didn't wan the neighbours to assume she was a bit of a tramp. So she wanted to blame the drink, or anything else (hence the excuses).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Well the song is from another era. And maybe getting someone drunk to help you get the leg over was fine back then. But it's a bit off colour now. Can't you see that?

I presume it means he made her a strong gin and tonic that's more gin than tonic, as an example.

Like I said, it bangs of Hot Cosby.

I'm afraid you're completely wrong. But I think you know this and are just arguing the point.

"What's in this drink" as a phrase was used an excuse for behaviour that was unexplainable and out of character, by the person themselves. If someone was acting this way and recognising it in themselves, they would be looking to blame an outside influence - hence, mentioning the drink.

Here's a good explanation of the phrase, this was from 2010 about the same song:
    The phrase generally referred to someone saying or doing something they thought they wouldn’t in normal circumstances; it’s a nod to the idea that alcohol is “making” them do something unusual. But the joke is almost always that there is nothing in the drink. The drink is the excuse. The drink is the shield someone gets to hold up in front of them to protect from criticism. And it’s not just used in these sort of romantic situations. I’ve heard it in many investigation type scenes where the stoolpigeon character is giving up bits of information they’re supposed to be protecting, in screwball comedies where someone is making a fool of themselves, and, yes, in romantic movies where someone is experiencing feelings they are not supposed to have.

http://persephonemagazine.com/2010/12/listening-while-feminist-in-defense-of-baby-its-cold-outside/

Wasn't this just about a person (of no discernible age) loosing their virginity? :confused:

(I mean making it about pedophilia is doing the same as those opposed to Baby its cold outside, and construing the worst possible meaning. Is it not?)

'Losing'-not 'loosing'.

I genuinely like that song-tho the Urge Overkill cover. It's one of the few covers that is equal or better than the original.

Plus, he's hardly forcing her-in the song I mean-he clearly say's 'Baby I've done all I could
    Now it's up to you

please take my hand'. He pleads, but not in a 'do it' way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The world really is becoming such a boring place, can't say a word without offending some touchy ballbag these days. Fcuk people like this absolute sad weirdos, people are damn right to fight back against this marxist crap. It's not a trivial issue, it's the entire context of what is happening today, culture and history is being trampled on by these scumbags maggots and cheap lousy ******s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

What’s in this drink? In my day (and I’m a 1980s baby) that referred to the way you mixed it. Pretty sure drugs like Flunitrazepam, Flurazepam, Diazepam and other benzodiazepines didn’t exist in 1949. Majority of these drugs were actually developed in the 1960s or later. That’s not to say there wasn’t other drugs at the time that could but these wouldn’t have been widely available.

Let’s just all agree that everyone born after 1995 is incredibly stupid with their dumbed down leaving certs. We’re all ****ed expecting these people to pay for our pensions/medical cards in the future.

What’s in this drink? In my day (and I’m a 1980s baby) that referred to the way you mixed it. Pretty sure drugs like Flunitrazepam, Flurazepam, Diazepam and other benzodiazepines didn’t exist in 1949. Majority of these drugs were actually developed in the 1960s or later. That’s not to say there wasn’t other drugs at the time that could but these wouldn’t have been widely available.

Let’s just all agree that everyone born after 1995 is incredibly stupid with their dumbed down leaving certs. We’re all ****ed expecting these people to pay for our pensions/medical cards in the future.

Yeah, the argument on Matt and Ivan (but it was Anton instead) was 'it meant that then, but it doesn't mean that now'...at least according to the dour feminists whose faces would sour milk at the thought of men being flirty.
    Like, I never heard anything as foolish (and the show showed it was skewed already-when they showed that clip alone). They also said 'what is acceptable in the 40s isn't acceptable now' or something-but the clip they showed was from 1999. :confused:

And there are more recent covers with people like Lady Gaga (who herself is a rape survivor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The best idea ever regarding a Christmas song was Ronan Keating doing a cover of 'Fairy tale of New York'. ;)

The best idea ever regarding a Christmas song was Ronan Keating doing a cover of 'Fairy tale of New York'. ;)

Surpassed the original...only Ed Sheeran came close too...:rolleyes:

Yeah, the argument on Matt and Ivan (but it was Anton instead) was 'it meant that then, but it doesn't mean that now'...
    Isn't that part of the attraction to old songs? That times were more innocent etc.?

I'm more confused as to how a small minority of idiots (probably 100 worldwide - I would guess and hope), were able to make such a loud noise that the bigger idiots listened to them and thought what they were saying made sense, and repeated it on twitter etc.
    They would do the world a bigger favour by not repeating things that they haven't thought about first, and maybe stop listening to people with so much time to themselves that they come out with this rubbish.

• Advertisement

Isn't that part of the attraction to old songs? That times were more innocent etc.?

I'm more confused as to how a small minority of idiots (probably 100 worldwide - I would guess and hope), were able to make such a loud noise that the bigger idiots listened to them and thought what they were saying made sense, and repeated it on twitter etc.
    They would do the world a bigger favour by not repeating things that they haven't thought about first, and maybe stop listening to people with so much time to themselves that they come out with this rubbish.

It’s like saying trolling is wrong and young fat people in the 1940s were trolled on Twitter.

Twitter is something that didn’t exist until 2006 and neither did obesity among teenagers.

Date rape didn’t really exist back then either.

It sort of reminds me of Charles Dickens books where characters say stuff like 'how queer' or 'he's a queer sort', and it's not 'ahead of it's time' by saying someone is gay. No more than when a character says something like 'I've come here to be gay and free' (Which I believe is from Great Expectations). IF someone were to adapt that story now, it doesn't mean the characters would have to be made gay.

I've got books where the original stories were published in the 1700s and 1800s that has characters use the 'N' word, among other expletives (and the books are stories from Australia and America, to name a few). I didn't buy them knowing there were nasty words in it-they popped up, I was surprised but not taken aback, and the world didn't collapse. As I heard someone say before, if a writer writes a character who uses racist, homophobic or anti-semitic language, and he's the villain-it doesn't mean the writer condones that language. The fact the character is the villain tells you very clearly their opinions of those views.

But modern times would have you believe the writer is an evil individual who should be banned from ever writing again... (but only if they're white).

It’s like saying trolling is wrong and young fat people in the 1940s were trolled on Twitter.

Twitter is something that didn’t exist until 2006 and neither did obesity among teenagers.

Date rape didn’t really exist back then either.

I don't know if this is honest or sarcastic, especially the last two sentences...

I don't know if this is honest or sarcastic, especially the last two sentences...

So the guy in the song actually did roofie her by getting in his time machine and going into to the future to acquire the drugs capable of this that were only developed in the late 1960s?

Are you saying everyone was plus sized in the 1940s?

Rape existed obviously but the drugs used in date rape most certainly didn’t in that era.

So the guy in the song actually did roofie her by getting in his time machine and going into to the future to acquire the drugs capable of this that were only developed in the late 1960s?

Are you saying everyone was plus sized in the 1940s?

Rape existed obviously but the drugs used in date rape most certainly didn’t in that era.

Well, date rape's been around for quite some time-remember a man could rape his wife and not face criminal charges until relatively recently.

Date rape was a similar thing-it doesn't, and still doesn't, require roofies. (Date rape implies there may have been a relationship-but at the time of the rape, consent wasn't given). If one is severely drunk, and intoxicated, then they may pass out-and thus get date raped.

But that is neither here nor there-and not related to the song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

A piece about it on The Last Word
    https://www.todayfm.com/podcasts/93835/Baby,-Its-Cold-Outside-Receives-Radio-Ban

The Journal's leading identity politics commentator Aoife Barry gives her opinion. The word "problematic" is used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

so, you're saying he wasn't trying to slip her a mickey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was listening to a do-gooder lefty champaign socialist radio presenter last night where he argued 'why shouldn't Santa be a Woman'.

I was so tempted to call in to the show. No one mentioned the Santa beard issue. You know the way Santa impersonators cover their face as far as possible with the beard and the cap where all you can see is basically the eyes. Never seen a woman with a beard, not yet anyway although I have seen some with a bitta mustache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

this world is getting harder to live in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

mrmorgan wrote: »
    this world is getting harder to live in!!

For men.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    For men.

not just men, everyone that has to listen to the rubbish

not just men, everyone that has to listen to the rubbish

Women are used to listening to rubbish of one kind or the other.

well able to speak it too

well able to speak it too

Well then this tiny little matter won't really make life any harder for men if listening to rubbish is a way of life for them already.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Well then this tiny little matter won't really make life any harder for men if listening to rubbish is a way of life for them already.

given too much free reign now

• Advertisement
Advertisement