Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the biggest lifestyle change you've made?

• 30-01-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

For me it was travel. I love hiking in remote and exotic locations. I make a point to get into the wilderness once a year. I'm a lot happier as a result and it's made me more focused.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I turned 30, **** young people, their music sucks and they say "like" to often.

Getting interested in politics. Worst decision ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Moving to Ireland to live with the girlfriend. Giving up the smokes was big too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ScumLord wrote: »

30 is young, your music sucks too! :P

For me, getting married. Best thing I ever did. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Mm calming down I guess. End of 2013/all of 2014 was a very wild time in my life, and while I enjoyed every bit of it, it wasn't me and it was a sloppy slope for me. Stopped partying, stopped messing around with substances, gradually stopped drinking as much, stopped looking for problems where there was no problems and feel more and more like my old self all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I stopped drinking 7 years ago and became a boring bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Quitting the smokes probably. In the process of quitting the booze, I've been falling out with it for some time now. Think I'll save up some money and go see Volcano Stromboli at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

I gave up relationships and decided to get my own house and live with my dogs, best ever ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Getting interested in politics. Worst decision ever.

I feel your pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Going from being a swotty '31 points in the Leaving Cert' nerd to being a raving partyboy dipsomaniac c***.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

2003. Started my apprenticeship (after years of crap jobs) and met my future wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Each one at it's time was important. Career choice, travel, marriage, retirement. The biggest was probably marriage and kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Quitting amateur boxing unleashed my alcohol-loving blubbery layabout for a good while.

I've moved country several times, each of those moves was a massive change in lifestyle for me. Now I'll be moving again in a few months, and I expect to be happier and more settled for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Giving up the smokes....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Just gave up the smokes after New Year. Best decision ever.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Had a kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zaph wrote: »
    30 is young,
    It happened a while ago and I've been getting progressively worse since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Candie wrote: »
    I've moved country several times, each of those moves was a massive change in lifestyle for me. Now I'll be moving again in a few months, and I expect to be happier and more settled for it.

Best of luck in the move!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Got mortgage built a house got married had 3 kids in between 2007 and 2013 that put paid to any style of life my self and my prettier half had at the time .
    Funnily enough we're surprisingly happier now go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Giving up the smokes, starting regular exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Everyone described cigarettes as 'the smokes' in this thread. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Breaking up a 3.5 year relationship to go travelling. I always had the itch. She is tied to college and her job who paid for her college for the forseeable future.This is happening right now. We are on good terms but it's still heartbreaking. I expect tears at the airport but I'm chasing the dream. So Wednesday the 8th I'm outta here for what I'd expect to be a good few years.

It's the toughest decision I've ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Quit smoking.

Bought my first home recently as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

The day I first saw Greek yoghurt on the shelf as opposed to 'Greek Style' yoghurt on the shelf.

I always felt cheated up until that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Had balooned into an awful size after having to give up physical work in 08 after a workplace accident. Back broken in two places. Went back to school to retrain in the disability sector, was still massive so two years ago set out to start walking a bit each week and start watching my diet. Built slowly so started increasing distance and pace over the next 2 years. Entered and ran Dublin City Marathon last year, now run an average of 20 miles a week. Not fast or pretty but I'm out there getting around so feck it. Big changes in lifestyle and work over the last few years..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Got leukemia, and looked at my diet, after two weeks of septicemia post-chemo

Stopped buying low-fat and went to full fat instead. Real butter, real cheese. Cut back on sugars. Cut back on red meat. Ate more nuts and more salads. Took up walking, then the treadmill and now running again.

Now 8 months on from treatment and consultant says my bloods have never been better. I feel about 15 years younger in the space of 7 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭don corleone

Starting Brazilian Jui Jitsu. Was always in sports all my life mainly Hurling. This is a different thing altogether, such a learning experience and really is  anew way of life. Highly recommend it to anyone thinking of starting self defense. People of all shapes and sizes can do it. Im 30 and I started with a guy well into his 50s, he cant believe the change in his overall physical fitness and health

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Buying a house at 32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Gave up a lovely car ,motorbike and financial freedom so my wife could give up work and have another baby.She is worth every minute of every hour we struggle.

Nice things will always return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I moved to Ireland eight years ago to start a job and didn't know anyone in this country. I joined Couchsurfing and let 400 backpackers stay in my house (Not all at once though).

I met people from 45 countries (Including Ireland) and Coiuchsurfing has become my lifestyle. Best time of my life in fact...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

ScumLord wrote: »

Try 35....mid life crisis kicks in,music even starts to become cool again,though your always the oldest on the dancefloor

promotion a few years ago after going back to college in the evenings.

committing and focusing enough to get through it and then stepping up from slacker to manager has changed me completely in terms of confidence and self-fulfilment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Diet changes.
    I got married 2 years ago and I was going to do the usual crash diet for the wedding. Everywhere I read, it stated that crash dieting doesn't work and a lifestyle change is required, so I decided to change the diet from a year out, knowing if I failed I'd have the crash diet as a backup. I ended up dropping about 4.5 stone.

Stopped fooling myself into thinking the gym was benefitting me too (I wasn't focused enough on workouts) so I joined a "functional" gym that offer classes and circuit sessions. I haven't looked back since, being and feeling fit is a great thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 missvicky

Got married, bought a house and had another baby and Im still 'young' at 28. Best decisions I ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Few years ago I gave up a job working shifts nights, was travelling for 3 hours a day and basically working 13 hour shifts. Pay was great, I took a "considerable" pay cut for a better work life balance.

Spend much more time with my kids who are growing up fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭gifted

Try 35....mid life crisis kicks in,music even starts to become cool again,though your always the oldest on the dancefloor

Try 45...honestly it's brilliant....we don't give a **** at 45...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gifted wrote:
    Try 45...honestly it's brilliant....we don't give a **** at 45...

Really looking forward to this, I've never given a ****e, so 45 will be extra special doesn't give a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Quitting online gaming, starting to get fit and losing 4.5 stone when I was in my mid-20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I don't watch TV anymore. I much prefer the radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Bought a rowing machine and started using it most nights a week. Changed my diet (I miss greasy food :( ) and just general started eating less. Lost 4KG in two weeks. Also for some reason I stopped fapping like a madman, limiting myself to 1 a week if even that. I look and feel better than ever.

Not sure what no fapping has to do with anything. Just thought I'd try. Easy as pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Moved out of town to a much cheaper house in the countryside. I've more room, sleep better, money saved that I can spend on my favourite things : gigs, festivals and travelling. I now look forward to my quiet evenings in after work and I am exercising more and eating better without the temptation of chippers on my doorstep (it was always a problem for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

30 when i stopped trying to rattle everything that moved in coppers thursday to sunday.

Advertisement