Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you smoke?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

smoking - a disgusting habit imho. why anyone starts in the first place is completely beyond me. it doesn't do anything for anyone - the person doesn;t look cool, mature, smart, whatever. their breath and clothes and hair and home and car smell. the gut-wrenching cough and phlegm clearing that occurs is disgusting. the cost over a lifetime is unbelievable. the affects it has on health is brutal. i could go on but i'll stop at - disgusting habit and i hate it.

We're not all a hacking, spluttering, haggard mess. I tend to smoke alone when I need to think in peace, and sometimes at certain other times, so looking cool or smart doesn't come into it. We do actually change and wash our clothes, so if you're getting a stale smoke smell then it's as much a hygiene problem. Also, some brands smell stronger than others. I think Rothmans and Carrolls and Mayfair are particularly pungent cigarettes.

It does do something for people. As I said it helps me with clarity of mind when I'm overwhelmingly stressed. It doesn't cloud my mind like alcohol might.

We're all aware of the health risks but there are many risks with other common substances that people hypocritically ignore.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I agree. My little dig at drinking notwithstanding

You'd think we were injecting heroin into our eyeballs from the revulsion some people exhibit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Trained in classical ballet. Some of the girls decided to try smoking. It affected their stamina in breathing immediately and the teacher always noticed that. It deterred me for life.

Also bad memories of a bad father who smoked "helped" the aversion..

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Interesting interpretation..

Graces7 wrote: »
    Trained in classical ballet. Some of the girls decided to try smoking. It affected their stamina in breathing immediately and the teacher always noticed that. It deterred me for life.

Also bad memories of a bad father who smoked "helped" the aversion..

I had a grandfather whose sitting room was always fuggy with smoke.He sounded like a male version of Marge Simpsons sisters. I have always hated to see that and I hate the sight of ashtrays, even empty ones. So, I don't own ashtrays. I don't even like the sight of a box of cigarettes lying around.

No, I don't flick ash on the floor, before anyone asks! I usually smoke outside, or next to a window, and throw the extinguished, dampened 'butt' (awful word) into the bin, or into the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've gone a bought some more question marks for your next thread title OP

??????????????????????????????????????????????
    ????????????????????????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I've never smoked
    gramar wrote: »
    Now I only smoke if I have a couple of drinks which might be once or twice a week or the odd day after a meal. A pack of 20 could last me up to a month and I often don't smoke for a week or two. I don't give them up, it just doesn't occur to me and I don't feel any temptation smelling other's cigarette smoke.

In fact I'd go as far as to say my smoking has also become healthier over the years as I don't smoke indoors meaning I get some freshair when I go out and I'm not breathing in second hand smoke inside after I've finished. Add to that that I smoke a 'light' cigarette, drink less so I'll smoke less and have been doing more exercise I'm beginning to think they might actually
    be good for me.
    I'd love to be like that but unfortunately I was a pig on them. Was about 60 a day when I quit over a year ago so I just can't take one or two cos they will just lad me to go back heavy onn them
    I always reckon if you could leave it to a couple of fags a day it would be a very enjoyable and reasonably ok habit then

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Smoking is a horrible thing. The rank smell, the damage to your body and health, the annoyance to others around you.

But i'd love one right now. I've been off them (again) since October or Novemeber last year, except New Year Eve where I smoked about 15 ciggies. So gone nearly a month without smoking officially :)

I should note that on New Years Day when I woke up I was horrified by the smell of smoke off myself and the pile of clothes that where on my bedroom floor from the night before.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I've never smoked but I don't care if someone else smokes once they're not blowing it in my face. One of my exes smoked about 20 a day.

I was delighted when the smoking ban came in as I used to always come home from a night out with bloodshot eyes and clothes stinking of smoke. At least now I can choose to join my smoker friends in the smoking room (most of my friends don't smoke though). Some pub smoking rooms are really nicely done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I am a former smoker
    I gave them up in November, the first while was grand but then Christmas came and I started having a few again when I was drinking, the fact I was drinking every day meant I was also smoking every day again!

Then in January, was grand for a few days, but back to exams and work and having the odd one before an exam, etc. I smoke a lot less than I used to but I'm definitely having difficulty getting rid of them altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've never smoked
    Thread could probably do with a 'vaper' option too. Maybe it's covered by the 'former smoker' option I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Never have never would its a filthy habit , your cloths stink breath stinks teeth and nails go yellow oh and you massively increase your Irish of just about every cancer.

I can see how the 1 in 5 stat might ring through thou , literally no one in my family smokes but all of my OH's family do i had an absolute mare for 4 years trying to get her off them before she eventually quit.

Never have never would its a filthy habit , your cloths stink breath stinks teeth and nails go yellow oh and you massively increase your Irish of just about every cancer.

I can see how the 1 in 5 stat might ring through thou , literally no one in my family smokes but all of my OH's family do i had an absolute mare for 4 years trying to get her off them before she eventually quit.

Your nails and teeth go yellow~? Is this inevitable and when does it happen? :confused:

Your nails and teeth go yellow~? Is this inevitable and when does it happen? :confused:

My Oh had to get her teeth whitened last year when she quit because of the permanent staining , she had smoked for 6 years i think ... her mam her aunts all have the stained teeth and nails they've been smoking for 30+ years though. its also woeful for your skin and hair causes thinning and brittleness of the hair , and skin conditions similar to exema.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Never. I can't stand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've had asthma since I was a small child, so to me smoking would be the most moronic thing I could possibly do. During a stay in hospital I was asked all the usual questions about smoking and drinking and jokingly mentioned that my lungs were in bad enough shape without smoking as well. The reply I got was that I wouldn't believe the number of asthmatics they check in who said they were smokers. And tbh I've seen it myself, I have known a good few of those people over the years. In an age where the effects of smoking have been well documented for so long, it's absolutely mind-boggling that someone with an existing condition like that would voluntarily do something that could only make it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Your skin will be in bits from it too. The lines on the face are a dead giveaway whether someone smokes or not, even on a relatively young person.

Zaph wrote: »
    I've had asthma since I was a small child, so to me smoking would be the most moronic thing I could possibly do. During a stay in hospital I was asked all the usual questions about smoking and drinking and jokingly mentioned that my lungs were in bad enough shape without smoking as well. The reply I got was that I wouldn't believe the number of asthmatics they check in who said they were smokers. And tbh I've seen it myself, I have known a good few of those people over the years. In an age where the effects of smoking have been well documented for so long, it's absolutely mind-boggling that someone with an existing condition like that would voluntarily do something that could only make it worse.

This shows how addictive it really is.

When I bought a cottage on a small island, the flowerbed by the door was mulched with cigarette filters and the bedroom ceiling above one side of the bed was stained with nicotine, Everyone thought it was a great joke what a smoker the previous owner had been .

Your skin will be in bits from it too. The lines on the face are a dead giveaway whether someone smokes or not, even on a relatively young person.

There are photographs on both sides of cigarette boxes. One of them is a shriveled apple with warning about aging of the skin.

I don't know if I've just been lucky so far but I don't have any of these problems and I'm typically assumed to be four or five years younger than I actually am. I've got quite a hideous mental picture of the possiblities at this stage of reading this thread, though.

On the other hand, stress ages people pretty quickly and many of us find smoking helps with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,533 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes, I do smoke. I just find it funny that the same's never said of drinking. ''I find it hard to believe that 4 out of 5 people I know, consume alcohol on a bi-weekly basis or more!''
    Why is it so much more acceptable, when it, too, causes cancer?

50% of drinkers don't die from it though.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

There are photographs on both sides of cigarette boxes. One of them is a shriveled apple with warning about aging of the skin.

I don't know if I've just been lucky so far but I don't have any of these problems and I'm typically assumed to be four or five years younger than I actually am. I've got quite a hideous mental picture of the possiblities at this stage of reading this thread, though.

On the other hand, stress ages people pretty quickly and many of us find smoking helps with that.
    I do a good bit of skin consultations and there are tell tale signs on peoples skin, and you'll know they smoke before you even ask them. Though I'm sure the majority of people aren't scrutinising smokers in so much detail so maybe I'm just paranoid, I won't drink coffee either because of wrinkles

I do a good bit of skin consultations and there are tell tale signs on peoples skin, and you'll know they smoke before you even ask them. Though I'm sure the majority of people aren't scrutinising smokers in so much detail so maybe I'm just paranoid, I won't drink coffee either because of wrinkles

Alcohol dehydrates the skin quite quickly, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Never have never would its a filthy habit ,.

This seems to be generally accepted, bit how is it filthy?
    your cloths stink

I wouldn't worry about a cloth. Now if you meant clothes, there's this new thing called a washing machine. It gets rid of grime and odours.

breath stinks .

Probably. But everyone's breath smells of something.

Teeth and nails go yellow

My teeth stain from drinking coffee.

oh and you massively increase your Irish of just about every cancer.

No sense made.

50% of drinkers don't die from it though.

They've only classed alcohol as a carcinogen quite recently but obviously it always has been one. It does horrible things to your body. So, I'm not so sure.

It's not a competition, anyway. The point was, one is reviled while the other is so commonplace and accepted but also very harmful.

They've only classed alcohol as a carcinogen quite recently but obviously it always has been one. It does horrible things to your body. So, I'm not so sure.

It's not a competition, anyway. The point was, one is reviled while the other is so commonplace and accepted but also very harmful.

it think smoking is probably in a category with alcoholism , if you see someone having a pint you don't give it a second thought.

If you were sitting in someones kitchen having a chat though and in the 2 hours you were there they casually knocked back 10 - 15 cans it probably wouldn't be as harmless. you can enjoy the occasional social drink but most of the smokers i know in my OH's family literally light one fag off another one are two are smoking 40+ a day, everyday to the point where there all ill in some way shape or form , their cloths stink , their houses stink. how would you view someone drinking even half that say 20 cans a day., and rotting the liver out of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've never smoked
    Used to smoke a 20 a day.

Wanted to give up for years, struggled a few times.

My mother, a very heavy smoker, required surgery for a non-smoking related illness, but years of smoking had affected her fitness so badly that her heart and lungs were not fit to get through the operation and she had serious complications caused by smoking that she never fully recovered and sadly passed away 6 months later.

I saw her on Day 2 in intensive care, it really frightened the bejaysis out of me. I gave up smoking 3 days later and it was the easiest and best thing I ever did. No withdrawal whatsoever as I knew 100% I wanted to be off them.

I am now a painful reformed smoker. Can’t stand the smell of smoke or being anywhere in its vicinity. I’m actually baffled and appalled that I once found it a pleasant thing.

My health, fitness and energy levels have improved. I did not gain weight and have not smoked in almost 6 years now and I cannot foresee any circumstances now that I would.

I think those who are off the smokes and say that they miss them are not really fully off them yet and could slip up.

it think smoking is probably in a category with alcoholism , if you see someone having a pint you don't give it a second thought.

If you were sitting in someones kitchen having a chat though and in the 2 hours you were there they casually knocked back 10 - 15 cans it probably wouldn't be as harmless. you can enjoy the occasional social drink but most of the smokers i know in my OH's family literally light one fag off another one are two are smoking 40+ a day, everyday to the point where there all ill in some way shape or form , their cloths stink , their houses stink. how would you view someone drinking even half that say 20 cans a day., and rotting the liver out of themselves.

I find that excess quite disgusting, myself! Not everyone is at it to that level, though..

Does anyone know what the other 50% of lung cancers are caused by? Offhand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Does anyone know what the other 50% of lung cancers are caused by? Offhand?
    Source: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/lung-cancer/about/lung-cancer-risks-and-causes

Obviously nobody knows exactly what causes individual cases of lung cancer, but these are some of the other risk factors.

Alcohol dehydrates the skin quite quickly, too.
    I don't really drink anymore either to be fair, though I would have a lot in the past

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »

Very high radon levels where I live. Can't win sometimes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

We will all die of something! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

No, but even among radon-related lung cancer deaths the percentage of smokers is about 90%. So it should really be even more of an incentive to give up smoking :pac:

I find that excess quite disgusting, myself! Not everyone is at it to that level, though..

it's just such a dangerous dirty habit , like how people with kids keep smoking or people with medical issues baffle me like. i'm looking at her unless their only late thirties 2 of them already have smoking related illnesses and they both have kids under 10 , still smoking. One of her aunts is a single parent with a 12 year old , if she was to get cancer or some other smoking related health issue what would happen to the kid.

Her mams cousin actually died about 18 months at 36 from Throat cancer , she had 4 kids all under 12 , caused by smoking that was when my OH ditched them totally having cut down because of my nagging , but the rest of her family kept going.

Like i said id view it as negatively as i would binge drinking daily

I smoked for a short time as a teen - but only as an (ultimately successful) attempt to get a girl-friend of the time to stop. I probably smoked for just shy of a year before it worked eventually and she and I both gave up together. Even today - over 20 years later - I occasionally get that "I would love a fag" feeling flittering across my consciousness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDaZXZd19OM

"If you aren't hungry it will give you an appetite
    If you are hungry and if there is no food, you can dull the pain of hunger
    It wakes you up if you are tired, makes you sleepy if you are not tired,
    It is the perfect self administered micro drug. The little glowing friend that never lets you down.
    In fact come to think of it now, I can't think why I gave that **** up!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I've never smoked
    Was off them for three years up until about 2.5 years ago and very stupidly went back on them while having a few drinks, and ended up back on them full time.

Started vaping in the past year or so and would only have a real cigarette when drinking at the weekend

Gave up both the vaping and real smokes 3 weeks ago today. It's going well so far anyway, so really hoping I will never go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Gave them up for 14 years only to go back on them when I hit 40.
    There isn't a day goes by when I wish I didn't smoke.
    For those who have quit and can't foresee how they ever again might smoke- stay diligent.

I've never smoked

You need to read real research on smoking which has been found to have zero health benefits instead of trying to justify your smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I've never smoked
    I quit 4 years ago.

I do still use the Nicotinell Lozenges though. Utter waste of 24 Euro every 7-10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I've never smoked
    chakotha wrote: »
    I quit 4 years ago.

I do still use the Nicotinell Lozenges though. Utter waste of 24 Euro every 7-10 days.

Jaysus, you should try try to get off them too. The nicotine is obviously what keeps us hooked, but it's out of your system after 3 days. Genuinely didn't find it that bad at all (cold turkey). but you're off the physical things, so can only imagine it would be easier again for you.

maudgonner wrote: »
    No, but even among radon-related lung cancer deaths the percentage of smokers is about 90%. So it should really be even more of an incentive to give up smoking :pac:

I have enough incentive, one of the very good reasons is enough but it's not useful until you're ready to give up.
    it's just such a dangerous dirty habit , like how people with kids keep smoking or people with medical issues baffle me like. i'm looking at her unless their only late thirties 2 of them already have smoking related illnesses and they both have kids under 10 , still smoking. One of her aunts is a single parent with a 12 year old , if she was to get cancer or some other smoking related health issue what would happen to the kid.

Her mams cousin actually died about 18 months at 36 from Throat cancer , she had 4 kids all under 12 , caused by smoking that was when my OH ditched them totally having cut down because of my nagging , but the rest of her family kept going.

Like i said id view it as negatively as i would binge drinking daily

You'd view chainsmoking, or moderate smoking, the same as daily binge drinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Seeing a really hot girl light up a smoke is one of the most disappointing things the world has to offer. From a 10 to 2 just like that.

I have enough incentive, one of the very good reasons is enough but it's not useful until you're ready to give up.

You'd view chainsmoking, or moderate smoking, the same as daily binge drinking?

my mam is a doctor and i think she put it best for me , she always said that roughly every cigarette is as bad for your health as 2 alcoholic drinks , so how would you view someone that drank 20 cans a day everyday (not good ) well that's only 10 fags a day.

even at 5 a day you may as well be binge drinking every night of the week in terms of the damage your doing.

Now if your having the odd 1 or 2 on a night out , it's bad but hardly world ending , but i think smoking on a daily basis is a woeful habit for anyone to have and particularly irresponsible if you have kids.

as i said to my OH bout her aunt who easily smokes 20 a day if she was drinking that much daily, how would you feel about her as a parent ? because effitivly what shes doing is twice as bad for her health

mzungu wrote: »
    We will all die of something! :D

So it's cancer, or cancer?
    my mam is a doctor and i think she put it best for me , she always said that roughly every cigarette is as bad for your health as 2 alcoholic drinks , so how would you view someone that drank 20 cans a day everyday (not good ) well that's only 10 fags a day.

even at 5 a day you may as well be binge drinking every night of the week in terms of the damage your doing.

Now if your having the odd 1 or 2 on a night out , it's bad but hardly world ending , but i think smoking on a daily basis is a woeful habit for anyone to have and particularly irresponsible if you have kids.

as i said to my OH bout her aunt who easily smokes 20 a day if she was drinking that much daily, how would you feel about her as a parent ? because effitivly what shes doing is twice as bad for her health

If she was drinking that much a day she'd be intoxicated so it's not the same. Smoking doesn't effect your mental faculties at all. If you have children the ideal would be to be as clean living and healthy as possible for their sake but nobody's perfect.

I agree with you on the heavy smoking and the negatives that go with it but I can't equate my sucking on some mashed up tobacco leaf fumes a few times a day with being obliterated on beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Smoke the odd one here and there and I always, always enjoy it.

• Advertisement

I've never smoked
    Arghus wrote: »
    Smoke the odd one here and there and I always, always enjoy it.

What is it you actuallty enjoy?

I believe when you really think about it there is actually nothing to enjoy in it.

Unless you're getting that lightheaded buzz as you smoke so infrequently.

So it's cancer, or cancer?

If she was drinking that much a day she'd be intoxicated so it's not the same. Smoking doesn't effect your mental faculties at all. If you have children the ideal would be to be as clean living and healthy as possible for their sake but nobody's perfect.

ill give you that ok she would be mentaly be literally impaired by being drunk , but already some of my OH's uncles are physically impaired two have emphazema, 1 has been hospitalized twice in the last year beacuse of this and been out of work , the aunt im talking about has had on and off chroic chest infections the last few winters this year her son had to go stay with my OH mam for a few days because she was too sick , like i said one of her mamas cousins actualy died at 36 all because of smoking related illnessess , it it honestly worth it?

Like what am i missing how is it worth it ? unlike a drink it doe'st even taste nice by all accounts , and the relaxation thing is a total placebo

ill give you that ok she would be mentaly be literally impaired by being drunk , but already some of my OH's uncles are physically impaired two have emphazema, 1 has been hospitalized twice in the last year beacuse of this and been out of work , the aunt im talking about has had on and off chroic chest infections the last few winters this year her son had to go stay with my OH mam for a few days because she was too sick , like i said one of her mamas cousins actualy died at 36 all because of smoking related illnessess , it it honestly worth it?

Like what am i missing how is it worth it ? unlike a drink it doe'st even taste nice by all accounts , and the relaxation thing is a total placebo

No, it's not worth that. For me I can only think in the short term, i.e massive stress at times and a touch of anxiety, and I'm healthy and fit so I feel like I can give up at some point, when ready. But to be in that deep sounds awful. I doubt it's a placebo, but some say anti depressants and anxiolytics are, so why shouldn't nicotine be one..who am I to argue.

No, it's not worth that. For me I can only think in the short term, i.e massive stress at times and a touch of anxiety, and I'm healthy and fit so I feel like I can give up at some point, when ready. But to be in that deep sounds awful. I doubt it's a placebo, but some say anti depressants and anxiolytics are, so why shouldn't nicotine be one..who am I to argue.

i would do it sooner rather then later , i think its an awful way to end up so youg it really ages you , appearance wise and health wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ultra violet 5

I am a smoker (mixture of above)
    i don't smoke cigarettes but i smoke loads of marijuana,

every day sincwe 1998

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement