Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you smoke?

Options
  • 29-01-2017 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

The overall prevalence of cigarette smoking in 2014 was 19.5%. This compares to 21.5% for 2013. This equates to over 70,000 fewer smokers in 2014 compared to 2013. A higher percentage of men (21.6%) reported being smokers than women (17.6%).

According to this, almost 1 in 5 Irish adults smoke. I'd struggle to think that 1 in every 5 people I know smoke. Is is really that high? Do you smoke or are you a former smoker?

Do you smoke? 233 votes

I am a smoker (rollies)
    0%
    I am a smoker (cigarettes)
    8%
    ScumLordpq0n1ct4ve8zf5beertonsmookishboyLukker-SetOverSetStab*City3hn2givr7mx1scUndertowMyStubbleItchesplay4fun1GerB40brembo26SteoLTemptamperuUmekichiWhatsisnameeoinzy2000Anesthetize 19 votes
    I am a smoker (pipe)
    20%
    SleepyJupiterKidMr.Scolm_mcmORVEEytpe2r5bxkn0c1redfacedbearpudzey101SennaSEPT 23 1989Potential-MonkeDarth MelkoroebbrummytomlaughaohBilly86pillyJimmy GarlicMonkieSocks 47 votes
    I am a smoker (cigars / cigarillos)
    0%
    fizzypish 1 vote
    I am a smoker (mixture of above)
    1%
    Bobby42aj89ultra violet 5 3 votes
    I smoke only when drinking
    2%
    readyletsgoPretzillJ Mysterioanon71gitzy16v 5 votes
    I am a former smoker
    18%
    bohsmanTerrorFirmerm5ex9oqjawdg2iantormissmattyaidan24326RobbieTheRobber2smiggytechdivershellda1chosen1swiftbladeKnex*gramarCheensboWolf ClubGunslinger92nihicib2jtcelticRothko 42 votes
    I've never smoked
    49%
    VenomZascarbytethe_sycoBorderfoxdazberrychakothastimpsonknipexCinaPrivate JokerCanis Lupusconor222Knasher_feedback_jimbob_jonesMr.PloughokedokeamsHoagy 116 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I am a smoker (pipe)
    I'm smoking right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I'm 26 social smoked from 17-21 smoke about 10 a day from 22-25 then stop altogether and now use a vape when drinking only to stop me reaching for a fag don't smoke at all otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I am a former smoker
    This post has been deleted.

I am a former smoker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

dfeo wrote: »
    According to this, almost 1 in 5 Irish adults smoke. I'd struggle to think that 1 in every 5 people I know smoke. Is is really that high? Do you smoke or are you a former smoker?
    You obviously don't know a lot of people then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

I've never smoked

Had to be done.

I am a former smoker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Deedsie wrote: »
    20% of the population responsible for littering our streets and countryside with theirs filthy butts. Should put a litter tax on it.

Dog ****ting is a lot worse than cigarette buds.

I've never smoked
    Bollocks ! I knew I was leaving out something !! Never-smokers will either have to abstain from the poll ... or failing that maybe a mod will kindly edit ... if possible :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've never smoked
    No option for spliffs?

20% of the population responsible for littering our streets and countryside with theirs filthy butts. Should put a litter tax on it.
    That could have a double meaning to a yank :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I don't smoke. I know six smokers. Used to be many more but the majority gave it up around 10-12 years ago. Only one current smoker I know is under 50.

I feel so excluded by your poll. Is this a sneaky ploy to pressure people into smoking so we fit in?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I like big butts and I cannot lie!

Do you smoke? Then he adds a poll with no option for non smokers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Nope, gave up about 8 or 9 years ago and delighted I did. The smell of stale smoke turns my stomach

I've never smoked
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Nope, gave up about 8 or 9 years ago and delighted I did. The smell of stale smoke turns my stomach

Any chance you can add the option ?? please and thank you ?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I quit 6 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Smoked turf back in the day when money was tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I regularly smoke about 2 rollies a month.
    Just to remind myself that I'm not a smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Smoked turf back in the day when money was tight.

Moss was cheaper

I like big butts and I cannot lie!

J Lo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Patww79 wrote: »

407797.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Never have and never will

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭joejoe87

Nearly 30 and been smoking half my life, just ordered a vaping kit so hopefully will be off the tasty little bast*rds soon. Gonna spark one now, all this talk of smokes has got the best of me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

"I only smoke cigarettes after making love. So back in England I'm a 20-a-day man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I had to watch both my parents die horrible deaths as a result of cancers from my fathers chain smoking.

I never have and never will smoke. I hate them with a passion.

I've never smoked
    TheBody wrote: »
    I had to watch both my parents die horrible deaths as a result of cancers from my fathers chain smoking.

I never have and never will smoke. I hate them with a passion.

Terribly sorry for what happened, I genuinely am. I hope you don't see the thread as insensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Former smoker. Still miss them despite being off the things since November 2014, bar one slip up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Terribly sorry for what happened, I genuinely am. I hope you don't see the thread as insensitive.

No, you're fine. People are free to do as they wish. I don't shove my opinion down anyone's throat!!

Not everybody will die as a result of smoking but the studies say that many do. I often thought if smokers had to see what I had, they would stop in a heartbeat.

Both my parents were riddled with tumours caused by smoking. They died less than a year apart. They were on morphine to ease their pain in the last few weeks of their lives.

I'm a grown man but those images will haunt me until the day I die.

Advertisement