Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Charge Protests 19/02/15. Dublin.

• 19-02-2015 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭

Reports in afterhours that there are problems at O'Connell bridge again with traffic stopped because of an impromptu sitdown protest.

edit : Meant to post this in commuting, apologies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Absolute parasites.

Inconsiderate, rude, selfish, delusional, reprobate, lazy - IDIOTS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Oh FFS. Are the guards standing there "observing" again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Absolute parasites.

Inconsiderate, rude, selfish, delusional, reprobate, lazy - IDIOTS!

Would these be the same inconsiderate, rude, selfish, delusional parasites that forced the government to cap water charges at €160 instead of a potential €300+ for the next few years? Hence keeping money in your pocket?

Would these be the same inconsiderate, rude, selfish, delusional parasites that forced the government to cap water charges at €160 instead of a potential €300+ for the next few years? Hence keeping money in your pocket?

There's a world of difference between legitimate organised protest and illegitimate protest that needlessly disrupts the commute of many people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think it'd be nice if my girlfriend got home before I put our kid to sleep.

If that bridge truly is being blocked as stated in the OP, it makes commuting around Dublin a pain for everyone. Last few times this has happened people complained about not getting to the airport in time for Checkins/Flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dublin forum >>>>>>

I think it'd be nice if my girlfriend got home before I put our kid to sleep.

If that bridge truly is being blocked as stated in the OP, it makes commuting around Dublin a pain for everyone. Last few times this has happened people complained about not getting to the airport in time for Checkins/Flights.

If true then I'll be affected too. Regardless, doesn't make them parasites for standing up (or sitting down in this case!) and trying to save us all money.

Granted their method may not be ideal but their reasons are right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Horses, batons ,and plenty of pepper spray it will be cleared in minutes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If true then I'll be affected too. Regardless, doesn't make them parasites for standing up (or sitting down in this case!) and trying to save us all money.

Granted their method may not be ideal but their reasons are right

No they're not. They're morons. This is the equivalent of a child stomping up the stairs and slamming the bedroom door when they don't get their own way.

• Advertisement

No they're not. They're morons. This is the equivalent of a child stomping up the stairs and slamming the bedroom door when they don't get their own way.

It's called protest. Most of us wouldn't be living here if it weren't for protest over the years. A little inconvenience doesn't stress me out thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-OPTQ4IIAAEMx6.jpg looks like a march to mountjoy. loads of cops on the bridge, looks like traffic is being diverted down the quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The [people whop got that reduction were the 150,000 who turned out peacefully around the country at protests last year. Showed up on a Saturday, no violence, no intimidation, no sit downs to annoy anybody else.

All protests last autumn were announced well in advance in local papers and local media so you had plenty of time to avoid any protest if you didn't want to get involved or delayed.

When Paul Murphy and the others decided to make political capital of a protest that he was incapable of organising when he was an MEP the whole thing turned sour. Protest on a weekday to maximise his coverage and that of politicians, but because a lot of the 150,000 actually work Monday to Friday we couldn't show up.

The "aggression" was started by a small amount of people and has ensured that most of us will not show up at future protests as we don't get involved in pissing off our fellow citizens by doing unannounced sit downs etc.

The irony was not lost at the last sit downs when us people from the country were delayed getting home for a further 4 hours because some gobsh1tes decided to do a sit down for a few hours. Nice for them that they had a few minutes on the LUAS/Bus to go home, and forgetting that we had a 4 hour journey ahead of us to get to our homes.

Shower of twats the lot of them.

Ah yes the auld 'I've nothing else to say so I'll accuse them all of being on the dole' argument.

Haven't heard that one before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The traffic cam for O Connell Bridge is only updated as far as 16:15 :(

Red Kev wrote: »
    The [people whop got that reduction were the 150,000 who turned out peacefully around the country at protests last year. Showed up on a Saturday, no violence, no intimidation, no sit downs to annoy anybody else.

All protests last autumn were announced well in advance in local papers and local media so you had plenty of time to avoid any protest if you didn't want to get involved or delayed.

When Paul Murphy and the others decided to make political capital of a protest that he was incapable of organising when he was an MEP the whole thing turned sour. Protest on a weekday to maximise his coverage and that of politicians, but because a lot of the 150,000 actually work Monday to Friday we couldn't show up.

The "aggression" was started by a small amount of people and has ensured that most of us will not show up at future protests as we don't get involved in pissing off our fellow citizens by doing unannounced sit downs etc.

The irony was not lost at the last sit downs when us people from the country were delayed getting home for a further 4 hours because some gobsh1tes decided to do a sit down for a few hours. Nice for them that they had a few minutes on the LUAS/Bus to go home, and forgetting that we had a 4 hour journey ahead of us to get to our homes.

Shower of twats the lot of them.

I'm completely against aggression and violence but there's no indication that this protest is either. If it is then rightly arrest them.

However I too will most likely be delayed on the way home but I won't get stressed about it. My kids will still see me. Nothing bad is going to happen

Where's ISIS, that'll clear them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I actually laughed out loud at George Hook on the radio just there as he questioned how he was going to get home from work later due to the protests in O'Connell St.

Considering he lives and works on the other side of the Liffey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Wait, wasn't one of their chief complaints about the Murphy arrest the waste of Gardai resources??? So.... they pull a stunt that will waste further Garda resources? Pillocks.

You can't shut down roads because you dislike a certain aspect of public policy, and you can't block people in their cars depriving them of their liberty. YOU WILL GET ARRESTED.

I saw a Paul Murphy poster yesterday with 'We won't be bullied' in large typeface. What exactly is a mob surrounding a car screaming abuse and throwing projectiles if it isn't bullying? A useful thought experiment for Murphy et al, what would he do if some punter rallied a hundred people surrounded his house or car and started calling him every name under the sun because they think he's a nuclear powered moron. How long before he picks up the phone and calls the Gardai, and do they get to crib 'political policing' as they're led away?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

Gatling wrote: »
    Horses, batons ,and plenty of pepper spray it will be cleared in minutes
    They'd probably nick the pepper spray. It'd come in handy when they're out on a job.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

ronsh2000 wrote: »
    They'd probably nick the pepper spray. It'd come in handy when they're out on a job.

True, the guards should bring their tasers instead.

Oh wait.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Yurt! wrote: »
    You can't shut down roads because you dislike a certain aspect of public policy, and you can't block people in their cars depriving them of their liberty. YOU WILL GET ARRESTED.
    so when a white van pulls up in front of my house and digs up my street not allowing me to leave i can call the guards and these people will be arrested????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No,that was the tens of thousands peaceful protesters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

They have had full benefit of free legal aid on several occasions. The Independent courts have found them guilty of contempt. Do they think the law applies only to others? Shower time in the Joy will be fun tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

cadete wrote: »
    so when a white van pulls up in front of my house and digs up my street not allowing me to leave i can call the guards and these people will be arrested????

Get off of it, if they're over your property line and are actually trapping you in your house ( I haven't heard a single report of this and would be interested in seeing one) you may have a point.

I'll be over at your gaffe in a couple of hours with my mates to throw stuff at you and shout obscenities because I don't like your opinions, all peaceful of course. We're like contemporary Gandhi's we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's not keeping anymore money in people's pocket on average. It will keep more in non tax payers pockets while tax payers have to pay more to make up the difference .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

All Irish Water related activity can be posted under the Politics Cafe forum. Link to mega thread below (even if traffic related), thanks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057354452

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement