Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lent!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

What is this obsession with giving things up? Is there some sort of competition going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Biscuits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Haven't bothered with Lent in more than thirty years. Load of rubbish.

Kids came home from school wondering what they would give up. I told them they don't have to bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Homework.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I'm giving up work for lent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Shenshen wrote: »
    What is this obsession with giving things up? Is there some sort of competition going on?

Yeah, it's lent. A time of year when all the a la carte/cultural catholics come out of the woodwork and try to outdo each other in showing how catholic and pious they are by giving stuff up (usually only maintained half heartedly for about a week or so) then they get a break from pretending to be religious until around Easter when they'll show up at the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I am not losing to Fr Dick Byrne in a giving things up competition. Thats what this is, a giving things up competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Decided to give up sex for lent and the wife said she'd give me a hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yeah, it's lent. A time of year when all the a la carte/cultural catholics come out of the woodwork and try to outdo each other in showing how catholic and pious they are by giving stuff up (usually only maintained half heartedly for about a week or so) then they get a break from pretending to be religious until around Easter when they'll show up at the church.

I'm with you......wish the country would just leave behind it's catholic stuff.

It's just become culturally engrained and people just feel that they have to do it without actually thinking about it despite not doing anything religious for the rest of the year apart from weddings funerals, christenings and then Christmas.

• Advertisement

Don't forget no meat or drink allowed today either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I'm giving up replying to cranky atheists who have a problem with tolerance towards theists on After Hours.
    If this upsets you, you are probably a cranky atheist who has a problem with tolerance towards theists... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Don't forget no meat or drink allowed today either!!

Not everyone is Catholic, I'll eat and drink what I like, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

Out of curiosity how many people giving things up for lent actually got to church on a weekly basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

_Brian wrote: »
    Kids came home from school wondering what they would give up. I told them they don't have to bother.

It doesn't have to be about religion. Let them exercise some control and learn to make sacrifices. Teach them something maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 doodlebops2015

My husband and I were chatting about that article in the independent couple of weeks ago about the woman who committed to having sex with her husband every day for a month and me being the fool that I am said we should do it every day for lent ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

RobertKK wrote: »
    I'm giving up replying to cranky atheists who have a problem with tolerance towards theists on After Hours.
    If this upsets you, you are probably a cranky atheist who has a problem with tolerance towards theists... :p

As this is your first post in this thread it shouldn't be too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deviladvocate

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm with you......wish the country would just leave behind it's catholic stuff.

It's just become culturally engrained and people just feel that they have to do it without actually thinking about it despite not doing anything religious for the rest of the year apart from weddings funerals, christenings and then Christmas.

Did you give or receive any Christmas presents a couple of months back?

I don't see why it has to be a religious thing... Non religious people use Christmas as a time to treat the people they care about, why can't we use lent as an excuse to give up or take up something to better ourselves or our lives.. A lot of people don't have the motivation to just do it, and lent is just the kick up the arse some people need!

I'm not actually doing anything for lent yet, was browsing here for ideas and then realised I'm already awesome and don't need to change anything :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

For lent, I'm giving modern society amish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Out of curiosity how many people giving things up for lent actually got to church on a weekly basis?

I do, I won't be giving anything up though. I'll make sure I get a walk in every day, eat weetabix for breakfast and more fruit. The timing is perfect, I feel like a fat lard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Cultural Catholics lol :pac: Amount of gimps wandering around with muck in their faces today, wouldnt be able to tell a church from a bus station if asked.

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    wouldnt be able to tell a church from a bus station if asked.

How did they manage to find the church to get the ash today so?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

How did they manage to find the church to get the ash today so?

Because they don't live places where things such as 'bus-stations' exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Cultural Catholics lol :pac: Amount of gimps wandering around with muck in their faces today, wouldnt be able to tell a church from a bus station if asked.

Da fuq?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

haven't 'done' lent since i was 13. had chicken gougons in a wrap just now. for some reason just can't be bothered any longer with the whole thing. my grandmother must be revolving in her grave.:eek:

Very steamy bible readings on Ash Wednesday. It's all sucking breasts and bridegrooms coming out of closets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Absolutely nothing. Life can be fecking stressful enough, why stop doing the little things that make it more enjoyable? Ask me hoop Catholic guilt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Wankin - I'll **** only twice a day now - and not the usual 5 times ... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

BBJBIG wrote: »
    Wankin - I'll **** only twice a day now - and not the usual 5 times ... ;)
    How were you able to see the keyboard to type that:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is ash wednesday suppose to be meat free ??

fryup wrote: »

As BBJBIG said, twice a day should be enough.

• Advertisement

Nothing in the Bible about it so no, it a 'rule' made up by a cult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

someone said to me today that the two days you shouldn't eat meat are good friday and ash wednesday

someone said to me today that the two days you shouldn't eat meat are good friday and ash wednesday
    Someone told me once that politicians are honest folk

Yeah no meat of drink good Friday or Ash Wednesday, fish for dinner both days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'm giving up drink. For real. Fairly regular drinker, 2-3 times a week (both home and out). Haven't gone six weeks without it in at least eight years.

Tough times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

RobertKK wrote: »

Yawn. I guess that means a slight decrease in the amount of rubbish posted on Boards, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

eternal wrote: »
    I'm giving up giving up.

I'm keepin' on keepin' on.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'm giving up drink. For real. Fairly regular drinker, 2-3 times a week (both home and out). Haven't gone six weeks without it in at least eight years.

Tough times ahead.
    Godspeed.

I shall drink to you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

My husband and I were chatting about that article in the independent couple of weeks ago about the woman who committed to having sex with her husband every day for a month and me being the fool that I am said we should do it every day for lent ...

Jayz - he'll have d Holes worn off ya ... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 doodlebops2015

I will write my diary on Easter Monday .. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Yeah no meet of drink good Friday or Ash Wednesday, fish for dinner both days!

I had a chicken sandwich yesterday, completely forgot. I didn't have a drink though. Not sure where this tradition comes from, I don't think its in the bible anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Yawn. I guess that means a slight decrease in the amount of rubbish posted on Boards, at least.

Rubbish such as stories about virgins becoming pregnant by immaculate conception, and the like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Magenta wrote: »
    Rubbish such as stories about virgins becoming pregnant by immaculate conception, and the like?

Ah, c'mon now - if that was a "Game of Thrones" storyline, people would love it! ;):p

Ah, c'mon now - if that was a "Game of Thrones" storyline, people would love it! ;):p
    They would indeed. But they would know its pretend:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

They would indeed. But they would know its pretend:D

Hahahha, atheists can't get enough of threads about religion. Ye make your own forum or .......oh wait.

• Advertisement

Hahahha, atheists can't get enough of threads about religion. Ye make your own forum or .......oh wait.

Im not atheist, I meant Game of Thrones is pretend unlike The Bible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Im not atheist, I meant Game of Thrones is pretend unlike The Bible.

I think you're underestimating how obsessive Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire fans are.

Ours is the Fury

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Nothing, sure I don't believe in it and I bet half of the folks giving stuff up don't believe in it either.

Advertisement