Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe's second largest roller coaster for Co Meath!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What's Tayto Park like, in terms of surrounding space?

I love rollercoasters. I love theme parks. Never been to Tayto Park.

I know the likes of Port Aventura in Spain are laughing as they have ridiculous amounts of land around them with nothing really on it, so they can constantly expand. I was always under the impression that Tayto Park was squashed in where it is?

What I'm getting at, is, is there room for more coasters and rides and a 'proper' theme park?

The park is OK, plenty of green space around it..
    Its been developing consistently since opening, the zip wires are a bit of crack..
    Its a bit of fun for the kids but there is quite allot you have to pay for after paying to get in and the food isnt cheap either so you wouldn't be going too often..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

why are they making a wooden roller-coaster?

Its more fitting with the parks other wooden buildings and quiet laid back atmosphere than a massive tangle of steel

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Hope the rollarcoaster works out better than the tent in this pic taken at the contruction site!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

forget wooden roller coasters, i want a wooden spoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Slideways

I'm a huge fan of a good rollercoaster. Not the type of chap who would base his holiday based on the proximity of the nearest theme park, but if there is one in the area then I'm there. The adrenaline release is the type of thing you experience after taking running a 10k or tackling a new skiing run. It's phenomenal. Looking forward to visiting this once it's built.

Pffftttt. Sure you're only getting into your stride at 10k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Second best priest....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭josip

This

Did you hear about Ireland's wooden roller coaster?
    It had a wooden frame, wooden cars and a wooden track.
    But there was a problem.
    It wooden go.

-> coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

2nd ? Meh...

Where's the 1st ? I'm going there...

Edit - In Tayto Park ? I'm near Ashbourne, the owner of the Bison there is a neighbour of mine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corkchick88

It will be great. We need change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I wouldn´t trust the people who mistreat animals with a wooden rollercoaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It will be great. We need change

a positive change

Yes

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tayto-park-banned-from-bringing-in-new-animals-to-zoo-for-five-months-29138398.html
    Tayto Park banned from bringing in new animals to zoo for five months

19/03/2013 | 05:00SHARE
    A POPULAR theme park was banned from adding to its wildlife collection after zoo inspectors found it had a number of "inadequate" enclosures and "high levels of aggression and stress among animals".

bjork wrote: »
    Yes

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tayto-park-banned-from-bringing-in-new-animals-to-zoo-for-five-months-29138398.html
    Tayto Park banned from bringing in new animals to zoo for five months

19/03/2013 | 05:00SHARE
    A POPULAR theme park was banned from adding to its wildlife collection after zoo inspectors found it had a number of "inadequate" enclosures and "high levels of aggression and stress among animals".

In fairness, and because the way you frame your accusation is actually quite serious, it does say they are in full compliance now.

In fairness, and because the way you frame your accusation is actually quite serious, it does say they are in full compliance now.

Well fair play to them for complying when they were forced to. It´s also not my accusation but that of National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I hate rollercoasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

It is being built by The Gravity Group. It's entry in RCDB.com (Roller Coaster Database) has gone up. According to RCDB the name is "Embargoed", but I am not sure if that is it's name, or whether it's name hasn't been released yet. Also, according to RCDB it will have an inversion, but my understanding was that it won't have a real inversion - but rather an overbanked turn, and the plans seem to support that.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/layout3.png

Is there any actual inverted wooden roller coaster in the world? I would have thought it would be very hard to achieve from a structural and safety point of view.

Also the obvious question with this is it is a permanent structure so given our rainy climate this may need more maintenance then might be the case in sunnier climes? In fact i'd suggest it will need a lot of maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Also the obvious question with this is it is a permanent structure so given our rainy climate this may need more maintenance then might be the case in sunnier climes?

yeah its permanent, with the right maintenance it will last decades no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fair play, most of the population of meath would be thrilled to have go of a tyre on a rope so building them this will be mindblowing,

They just need to find a way to incorporate shotguns into it and they'll probably worship it as a god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Is there any actual inverted wooden roller coaster in the world? I would have thought it would be very hard to achieve from a structural and safety point of view.

Also the obvious question with this is it is a permanent structure so given our rainy climate this may need more maintenance then might be the case in sunnier climes? In fact i'd suggest it will need a lot of maintenance.

Inverted roller coaster is actually the term for a coaster with he cars suspended underneath the tracks and there are no wooden coasters of this type. When a coaster has loops, or corkscrews, this is called inversions. There was a bit of confusion about this when Tayto initially announced the coaster as they said it would be inverted! There are wooden coasters with inversions and the Gravity Group actually built one - Hades 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

Linnanmäki in Helsinki has a wooden one called Vuoristorata. Not so unusual says you, but then you find out there's a guy that STANDS at the back of the cars and he's the one that controls the brake!!! :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuoristorata

It's the most sought after summer job in town apparently.

haha lol dafuq?

A job bridge idea for this one perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

haha lol dafuq?

A job bridge idea for this one perhaps?

Yep, you can just imagine the benefits for any prospective intern:

You'll learn:

How to cope in a high stress environment;
    Responsibility (you'll have the lives of others literally in your hands);
    Excellent verbal communication...when shouting for help!;
    How not to sh1t yourself when travelling at 100Km/h and sideways!

Advertisement