Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair-splitters thread: How do you pronounce the current year?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Ah man, I wish I spoke another language so I could impress you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Ah man, I wish I spoke another language so I could impress you all.
    If you say the year in French it sounds like van cans. Which reminds me of drinking cans in a van.

Probably the best thing about the French language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Or every year since 2010, for that matter?

I would say twenty-fifteen for the current year, and would generally say twenty-(year) for every year since the start of the current decade.

Pronouncing 2015 as "two thousand and fifteen" seems a bit out of date, and while it seems OK now, in about ten years time it will become quite a mouthful to say "two thousand and twenty five".

In the last century, the years up until 1909 were pronounced nineteen O-x or nineteen hundred and-x, and those after it as just nineteen-x. Why is this century different?

And yes, this does deserve a thread! :D:D

How very dare you.

One should rather ask of splitting 'heirs'. Not "hairs".

Commoners.

Yes yes I said it.

You too Tilsbury if you're still stalking me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Splitting Heirs is a 1993 Film which currently has an 8% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

XXXIV

34?

I say Twenty Fifteen and Two Thousand Fifteen

Advertisement