Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all just money,money,money!

• 17-10-2001 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Since starting back in Uni. Iv only had to bye two books but its already cost me nearly £50stg this is a major pain in the ass for me and I know other people who have to by 8 or 9 core books.

Why are textbooks so dammed expensive and why do we have to shell out for them shouldn’t the course supply the books?
    After all here in England I have to pay fees.

The thing that bothers me is that by the time my course is over the books will be out of date and useless so there is no way I can resell them.

God I hate spending money!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

what about the poor UCD students who as of next year have to compulsoraly purchase Dell Laptops in a new e-learning initiative:eek:

Although they will be subsidised- its still goin to be about £750
    Supposdely applicants through the CAO for commerce next year will be informed they will have to be able to afford a laptop or else dont apply! ( they're will be a small hardship provision but...eh!?)

Oh and BTW

If your spending is in 2 digits-ie £xx Your bloody lucky-
    My Law Text books are fuppin scandalous
    My corporate finance book last year cost £98 and my revenue law this year costs £100, equity £60 among others.

[What we need is someone to upload them onto Kazaa:p]
    all in all- your sentiment is taken.
    My worry for many ppl is that although there are free fees, there will be many who can not afford the running costs asscociated w/ college and thus will be a marginalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Sheesh no wonder lawyers are all moneygrabbing b@stards, they're still bitter about how much they had to spend in college :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL, in Ireland we have it easy, I'm in college IN Carlise, and I have to pay £1075 fees, £18 per DVCAM tape I use, £50 for books, £10 for internet use (not that I mind that), Also we have to pay for Photocoping. This is all in sterling don't forget. But hey thats what parents are for ;)

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by 80project
    what about the poor UCD students who as of next year have to compulsoraly purchase Dell Laptops in a new e-learning initiative:eek:

have to?
    please explain more about this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Lump
    ....£18 per DVCAM tape I use,

John

Is that mini DV tape you mean?? That shouldn't cost £18 per tape. You can get 5 tapes for a tenner or £15 ish.

Originally posted by decob

have to?
    please explain more about this...
    Re: the laptops ....

I should have said for next year its only commerce students but I'm reliably informed that w/in the next few years it will be ALL
    students. Its as stated part of an new e-learning iniative-part of which is the new OnlineClasses aprt of the Internal Network. So if you've any younger siblings better tell them to start saving!!

heres the article from the Irish Times about it....
    http://scripts.ireland.com/search/highlight.plx?TextRes=laptop&Path=/newspaper/finance/2001/0912/fin8.htm
    Laptops required
    Laptops required
    by business students

By Emmet Oliver, Education Correspondent
    Business students entering UCD from next September will be required to buy laptop computers in order to participate in its programmes.

The laptops will be used in UCD's new high-tech Quinn Business School which UCD said would be the most modern business school in the State. It has been named after businessman, Mr Lochlann Quinn, who donated £4 million (€5.1 million) to the venture.

The total cost of the school will be £19 million and Prof Philip Bourke, dean of UCD's commerce department, said the investment would allow the faculty to move out of its current offices in the commerce/arts block and offer new forms of teaching. laptop.jpg

He said the use of laptops and associated technology would change the face of business education forever and that a collaborative approach represented the future.

Dell, he said, would provide the laptops at low cost and Bank of Ireland would allocate low interest finance to students to buy them.

UCD's commerce department has produced a long list of leading business people, but Prof Bourke said the old ways of teaching where lecturers addressed students in a large lecture hall and imparted knowledge while students took notes, was gone.

The new school had been set up to allow students use their laptops no matter where they were in the building. Transponders would be situated throughout the building so students could log on anywhere. He said the curriculum would be changed to reflect the increasing emphasis on technology. The laptop project is going ahead after a pilot phase in UCD's Smurfit School of Business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

My school uniform and PE rugby shirt cost like £200, its mad. And then there is the books to buy.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

My wife must have missed out on that pilot scheme.. damn that could have been handy, ie. if you kinda needed a laptop...

I heard something about this before where laptops were being given to a class of kids to see as a study how they got on.... I could have being dreaming but then again my dreams are usually a bit more graphic ;)

Even for a primary school kid, the "back to school" cost is at least £200...

/me almost goes in search of a scalpel ...or something™

Advertisement