Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Scouts!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

all i can say was that participating in scouting was one of the most valuable things i did as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,052 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

all i can say was that participating in scouting was one of the most valuable things i did as a kid.

Helped widen the circle of your friends...?:D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I have to say I spent many enjoyable years in the scouts

Post reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Roll your children up in bubble wrap, stick them in front of the Internet 24 hours a day, stuff them to obesity, live in fear and then wonder why they turn into socially maladjusted, incompetent freaks in later life.

There are problems that need looked into, and then there is total social deconstruction. Welcome to the USA.

The scouts are great for children, get them out of the house and off the phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Im a bit lost about the indecent exposure bit.

If the children are segregated according to gender and they are in tents then they surely have to undress in front of each other and therefore others see them naked.

Is this what is being called indecent exposure.

Ian Elliot has decades of child welfare experience and after examining the scout movement for months he said there are no current concerns regarding practice. He asked Tusla and presumably Zapone not to send that letter and not only was it sent it was also read in the Dail.

I think I would pay more heed to Ian Elliot than Zappone, she seems to be obsessed with the scouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I have to say I spent many enjoyable years in the scouts

I got to go to places camping that I would never have gone to, and learned some handy skills along the way
    got to meet children from other parts of Ireland and abroad

the adults who ran the whole thing gave their time generously and I am thankful for it
    and once those adults stopped being involved the local scout troop folded

so I hope the scouts can recover from all this recent negativity, and more importantly sorts out the management issues that are being highlighted
    It is a great organisation, which provides a great outlet for children. especially those who mightn't be into sports

My experience mirrored yours. It’s a shame that a few bad eggs can damage a whole organization whose sole aim is to contribute to society and the development and enjoyment of young people... I hope that they can recover from the situation too but also that lessons have been learned and that robust checks both initial and ongoing are implemented both for the enjoyment and safety of ALL involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Talking to someone who'd be in the know on the current situation, Tusla sound like the type of organization where the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Three Scouse Muslims were arrested today.

You shouldnt though - you cant make racist jokes any more.

What was racist about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A lot of hard working people giving up their time freely to help kids develop skills and allow them have fun.

Easy to knock them sitting at your keyboard.

My kids are in the scouts and it's done them no end of good.
    This would mirror my step-son's experience. Sea Scouts has done him the world of good since he joined 2 years ago.
    tretorn wrote: »
    Ian Elliot has decades of child welfare experience and after examining the scout movement for months he said there are no current concerns regarding practice. He asked Tusla and presumably Zapone not to send that letter and not only was it sent it was also read in the Dail.

I think I would pay more heed to Ian Elliot than Zappone, she seems to be obsessed with the scouts.
    I suspect this is the case based on a conversation with a friend who's a former leader. It should be stressed that the following is third hand rumour heard in the pub but it sounds plausible to me...

Apparently Zappone has had it out for Scouting Ireland for a few years. There was apparently an allegation of (adult-on-adult) rape made about a leader by another leader a number of years ago where the accuser refused to make a statement to the Gardaí.

On the basis of this, Zappone expected Scouting Ireland to expel the accused leader despite their own investigations showing no evidence of any wrong-doing and no legal case to answer (due to the refusal to report by the alleged victim they would pass Gardaí clearance). Such an action would leave Scouting Ireland guilty of defamation and wide open to having to pay damages to the leader in question. The accused refused to quit the organisation voluntarily maintaining nothing inappropriate had happened leaving Scouting Ireland in an impossible legal position: appeasing the minister by illegally acting as judge, juror and executioner (akin to many of the American Universities that have been overtaken by Zappones brand of feminism) or having to leave the accused leader in question in place (presumably under heightened unofficial scrutiny) as no evidence of wrong-doing existed and face the ministers ire. It seems they opted for the latter course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 triskelll

beejee wrote: »
    Roll your children up in bubble wrap, stick them in front of the Internet 24 hours a day, stuff them to obesity, live in fear and then wonder why they turn into socially maladjusted, incompetent freaks in later life.

There are problems that need looked into, and then there is total social deconstruction. Welcome to the USA.

The scouts are great for children, get them out of the house and off the phones.

you are totaly correct today's children need an organisation like Scouting Ireland
    its policies and regulations are very good on paper but when these policies are ignored at grassroot level and the organisation is toothless in enforcing the policies sh%t happens. some groups do it by the book but not all.
    Talk to any scouter thats been around for a few years and you will hear the stories of close calls and incidents. But the culture of blind loyalty that was mentioned in one of the reports last year permeates. all these dedicated scouters who spoke on radio and tv last week are ignoring the point, that risks are still being taken,
    because "ah sure it'll be alright we've done it this way for the last 20 years"

There's not much point in going on about how good the training is. if it's just forgotten and ignored:mad::mad: Rant over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Helped widen the circle of your friends...?:D

He now has 1 friend :D

Not sure if this is posted elsewhere

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-arrested-in-connection-with-scouting-ireland-allegations-released-without-charge-5008482-Feb2020/

The dog on the street know whose been arrested and it was fairly known throughout the 90s, it was an ongoing joke when I was growing up not to join the scouts

Not sure if this is posted elsewhere

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-arrested-in-connection-with-scouting-ireland-allegations-released-without-charge-5008482-Feb2020/

The dog on the street know whose been arrested and it was fairly known throughout the 90s, it was an ongoing joke when I was growing up not to join the scouts
    It was reported that the abuse happened in Scouting Ireland, if it was the 90s it would have been the CSI or SAI right?

TheChizler wrote: »
    It was reported that the abuse happened in Scouting Ireland, if it was the 90s it would have been the CSI or SAI right?

Just cos you change the name doesnt mean it's not the same group. Scouting Ireland has members from well before the 90s. He was still a member of scouting Ireland up to very recent times

Just cos you change the name doesnt mean it's not the same group. Scouting Ireland has members from well before the 90s. He was still a member of scouting Ireland up to very recent times
    Just pointing out how you've either got the wrong case or it's poor reporting. Probably the latter.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just pointing out how you've either got the wrong case or it's poor reporting. Probably the latter.

No I know people who were approached by the gards over the year ago about their time in the scouts and the particular individual was the main focus.

Further to your point, the same scout hall has been there for over 40 years and now is under the scouting Ireland banner.

Advertisement