Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you smoke?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

A bit of fry and Laurie anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Off them for years, never became one of those types who were off them a week and critising every other smoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I am a smoker (pipe)
    Yep I smoke.
    About 5/6 a day more if I'm anxious or stressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

murpho999 wrote: »
    What is it you actuallty enjoy?

I believe when you really think about it there is actually nothing to enjoy in it.

Unless you're getting that lightheaded buzz as you smoke so infrequently.

That first drag of of a well rolled fag is for me like you've been crumpled up as an old piece of office paper and then for a few seconds you're good fresh, warm and new; straight from the photocopier. A bit like that first drink of coffee in the morning, but more deeply felt. There's plenty to enjoy in that.

Love the smell of rollie tobacco filling my nostrils, love the few minutes of contemplation that come with a cigarette. Love it.

A few drags later I'm more than happy to put the cigarette out and generally wont need another one for another day or two. Unless I'm drinking, in which case I can never get enough.

I know the difference between the little "pep" a cigarette gives you and that lightheaded - feet made of concrete, brain made of clouds - buzz. Alas, those lightheaded days have long since passed for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Yes. Bensons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I have enough incentive, one of the very good reasons is enough but it's not useful until you're ready to give up.

Yeah, I think that's the case. Not just for smoking but for all addictions & bad habits. Most people have something that they do that isn't the healthiest, but we do it anyway.

Good luck to you if you do eventually decide to give it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I've never smoked
    had an op to remove a polyp from vocal chords when I was 30, and again when I was 32... so I quit, its not an option for me to smoke anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Funny how the boards poll matched up very closely with the statistic in the OP ,around 18-20% being smokers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Also I don't know whether smoking rates are increasing in younger people, but about 30-40% of my college year smoke. They are middle class, educated.. could be related to the extremely stressful course we take or just a college fad who knows. Anyway, sad to see young people damaging their health like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I guess if you're young you don't care!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's really really not though.
    annoying. but not nearly as disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I've never smoked
    wally1990 wrote: »
    I'm 26 social smoked from 17-21 smoke about 10 a day from 22-25 then stop altogether and now use a vape when drinking only to stop me reaching for a fag don't smoke at all otherwise

Exactly the same as me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I've never smoked
    I was never a 20 a day smoker, I usually wasn't even a 20 a week smoker for the most part, but I did do it off/on for many years. I managed to stop last October by buying a vape, which I then stopped about a month ago. Now the smell repulses me.

But my god it's tough, I've no idea how people who ARE on 20 a day do it, it really is tough to do. When drinking especially. I used to quit for months and then I'd have a sh*tty day or a bad breakup/argument, or a bad experience and BAM, first thing I'd do to ease the pain/stress is buy a box of fags and chain 'em.

It's so worth it, though, the money saved, the lack of smell, the astonishingly improved fitness and well-being, the self satisfaction in succeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

I've never smoked
    Ex. Didn't end up pious either. Smoke away I say, but it's a young man's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

From my research, all people - smokers and non smokers alike, will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

I'm smoking right now

For some reason when I read that, in my head I heard Denzel Washington saying it as per his line at the end of the film Flight.
    Just thought id share that. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I am a smoker (cigarettes)
    Yeah, but not heavily. I've had one today so far. I'd say I normally have around 5-10, closer to 5. Certain situations or a feed of drink and that could be up to 20 or 30 though. I'm not sure if I'm doing it properly, my sister, partner and father smoke and you can see them nearly twitching in the morning until they have one, I wouldn't even think of them for the first half hour. If I'm sick or hungover I can't even look at them.

I guess I'd like to quit, but a) I enjoy it and b) a bit ironically I think if I was a heavier smoker I'd have more incentive to quit because I'd be seeing the effects more. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if I cut out those five a day I'd feel like a new woman and I'm sure non smokers can smell the difference, but I don't have the cough, or the yellow fingers, all that craic.

I'm gradually trying to change my weed methods, I did quit before and ended up back on them because of that, same has happened to every schmoker smoker I know at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭don corleone

Im a light smoker. In that I smoke 3-5 a day. When I drink it becomes a full 20 if not more. I have tried an failed to stop altogether. Genuinely thinking of replacing cigarettes with an odd joint during the week. Anyone ever go down this route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't believe those stats quoted by the OP: the proportion of women who smoke has to be much higher than that. Every place I've worked as long as I've been in Ireland, they've been the ones out in the smoking area in all kinds of weather.

I was never keen on being "cool", but I took a single puff when I was 12 or so and hated it, so that was that. I could have perservered, but it's a good thing I didn't. I may have gone too far in the other direction e.g. one time in a nightclub, before the indoor ban, a girl came and sat next to me on purpose, but I totally ignored her because she was smoking ... it remains an absolute deal-breaker for me.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I only smoke weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Estrellita wrote: »
    Late thirties now and have never smoked, came from smoking parents. There wasn't as much publicity about the dangers of smoking around when I was born, and in some cases doctors told expectant mothers not to give up as it maybe too stressful for a woman and her baby. I was born prematurely and underweight.

I've one remaining parent with terminal cancer (lung). Again, the awareness wasn't really there and never managed to give up. Growing up with was awful. My clothes and hair stank. Ceilings, curtains etc had to be regularly painted and washed to address the yellowing. You can only imagine what it's doing to you inside. I always reserved judgement, they were my parents.

Back in the day you could excuse it, and I can appreciate its hard as hell to kick. But why anyone lights up these days is mind boggling. I'm going to lose another parent prematurely, and losing the will to bite my tongue on the matter anymore. I'm not to be mistaken for someone on a high-horse, I'm bitter as fcuking hell over it.

You have summed it up right there. I'm still struggling to give up, but I'm getting there bit by bit with an e-cig, which has to be better than an actual cig. I'm from a generation that accepted it. But over the last 10 years or so, I fail to see why people take up the filthy, expensive and dangerous habit. We know the danger. We know the cost, yet still people join the smoking brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I've never smoked
    I used to smoke, started when i was 11 or 12, smoked 60 marlboro red at one time, stopped when i was 35. 7 years had maybe 3 to remind me why i stopped

Grandeeod wrote: »
    You have summed it up right there. I'm still struggling to give up, but I'm getting there bit by bit with an e-cig, which has to be better than an actual cig. I'm from a generation that accepted it. But over the last 10 years or so, I fail to see why people take up the filthy, expensive and dangerous habit. We know the danger. We know the cost, yet still people join the smoking brigade.

I started when I was 15, in the early 2000s. I can't particularly remember what I was thinking, if I had to guess the fact that my mother spent our entire childhood warning us never to smoke probably had a lot to do with it, that and the fact that I hung out with other people who smoked. Spectacularly stupid, obviously. Things like "you're going to die" and "stuff costs money" were fairly abstract concepts to me at that age. And for the first while it really does seem like you could quit whenever you want :(

I started when I was 15, in the early 2000s. I can't particularly remember what I was thinking, if I had to guess the fact that my mother spent our entire childhood warning us never to smoke probably had a lot to do with it, that and the fact that I hung out with other people who smoked. Spectacularly stupid, obviously. Things like "you're going to die" and "stuff costs money" were fairly abstract concepts to me at that age. And for the first while it really does seem like you could quit whenever you want :(

Have you quit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No. Hate them. Both my parents smoke. Well, my Mother smokes the e cigarette now for the past year. So that's better!

My boyfriend smokes. He no longer smokes in the house at least. Also banned from smoking in my car. I just hate the smell! And what it does to your teeth.

I never really understood why people take up smoking. Saying that I did smoke the odd time in college but only every now and then. Never got addicted.

Have you quit?

A few times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I am a smoker (pipe)
    Have you quit?

It's the easiest thing ever to give up cigarettes. I have a friend who has done it dozens of times.

A few times

It's up to you. I guess you understand the potential dangers and obvious costs. I would never ever judge a smoker, because I am technically a smoker, but I really want away from it, e-cig and all. But step by step. The less I buy, the more I save and the more my body and mind have a chance to recover. It's a serious addiction of habit and chemicals and even when you hit a point of accepting this and wanting to quit, it's a real struggle that requires a massive amount of willpower, even with any kind of nicotine replacement alternative.

Try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

A few times

If you want to, you can do it. Of course it's not easy, but you just need to want to give it up more than you want the next cigarette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Langerous

Graces7 wrote:
    Trained in classical ballet. Some of the girls decided to try smoking. It affected their stamina in breathing immediately and the teacher always noticed that. It deterred me for life.

Are you Lisa Simpson?

If you want to, you can do it. Of course it's not easy, but you just need to want to give it up more than you want the next cigarette.

I know, but the fact is I don't want to badly enough at the moment. I really enjoy smoking, the people I spend the most time with are all smokers, and like I said I'm a fairly light smoker which makes it less urgent - a small pack of drum would last me most of the week, so the expense and immediate physical toll aren't there as motivations to the extent that they are with a lot of smokers.

I feel bad saying all that given your own circumstances, I'm very sorry for your loss and I don't mean any belittling or disrespect.

I know, but the fact is I don't want to badly enough at the moment. I really enjoy smoking, the people I spend the most time with are all smokers, and like I said I'm a fairly light smoker which makes it less urgent - a small pack of drum would last me most of the week, so the expense and immediate physical toll aren't there as motivations to the extent that they are with a lot of smokers.

I feel bad saying all that given your own circumstances, I'm very sorry for your loss and I don't mean any belittling or disrespect.

You know the score. The day should come when you are fully ready. At least you are honest about it.

You know the score. The day should come when you are fully ready. At least you are honest about it.

I've spent so much time listening to my dad go on about all the reasons why he 'can't' give them up. For the past twenty years there's been some wedding or some other bull**** coming up and he's going to quit right after that. Or he's off them for three days and 'sure I'll have the one while I'm having a drink, the odd one does no harm does it'. It's infuriating to put up with even as a smoker, I'd say my poor mam's heart is broke with it. He seems to want to quit, but only to the extent where it doesn't actually involve ever passing up a cigarette when he wants one :rolleyes: or he's waiting to figure out what the magic trick is to quit rather than accepting it comes down to NOT SMOKING THE ****ING CIGARETTES.

I wish he would quit, he's in his late 50s and I'd say he's close to 20 a day, I'm fully expecting to have to watch him die from it as young as his own parents did. But if he's not going to quit I wish he'd just cut the crap. So I am pretty conscious of not deluding myself about it.

In all seriousness this thread has made me give it more thought than I have in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

As far as I can see, all that quitting entails is refraining from buying cigarettes and coping with the irrepressible urge to tell people who you're really thinking/think of them, until the craving-induced irritability subsides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

No need to feel bad, it's certainly not my intention to make anyone feel bad. I suppose I just mentioned all of that to show the other side of the coin.

As previously said, as least you are honest that you aren't ready or in a place where you can see yourself giving up at the moment. Because it will take every ounce of your willpower if that day does come.

One thing I noticed with my parents was, any attempts made to give up were made alone. Nothing more than them and their nicorrete(s?) or plain old cold turkey. I think people that want to make an honest go if it need to face how hard it is and go to their GP for guidance and medication if needs be. Maybe it's fear of judgment that stops them from going. I don't profess to know the ins and outs of it, but Im nearly sure there is something to take the edge off cravings now (open to correction). Its important to arm yourself with as much ammo as possible to beat smoking and to give yourself the best chance at succeeding.

I think people prefer to look at as a bad habit as opposed to facing the harsh reality that it is an addiction and that they may actually need help.

I don't profess to know the ins and outs of it, but Im nearly sure there is something to take the edge off cravings now (open to correction).

The last time I asked, there was something called Champix available on prescription. It has side-effects..

That's the one I was thinking of. I don't know what the side effects are, but most medication carries some risk of unwanted effects. Maybe I'm being too flippant about that, but is it worth a shot as it's not intended for long term use?

I could be wrong but I think Champix has been linked to suicides.

I could be wrong but I think Champix has been linked to suicides.

As of 2014, it has not been established that it does cause suicide, depression or heart problems, which were all the reported side effects in its early days. I have never tried it, but knew people on it and they still required willpower and felt better smoking rather than taking it. I'm no expert so I can't conclusively state this as fact, but if it worked so well, quitting wouldn't be a problem and vaping wouldn't have took off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've never smoked. My Dad was a heavy smoker but cut down when I was born 27 years ago. He has been off them for 7 years now. Mam still smokes.

I've held a cigarette for a friend once in my life and the stench on my hand was vile. Ugh!

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I've never smoked. My Dad was a heavy smoker but cut down when I was born 27 years ago. He has been off them for 7 years now. Mam still smokes.

I've held a cigarette for a friend once in my life and the stench on my hand was vile. Ugh!

Keep things that way and never fall for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

I am a former smoker
    stimpson wrote: »
    No option for spliffs?
    only use tobacco in joints myself..so maybe a cig a day

vape for the rest of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

mzungu wrote: »
    "I only smoke cigarettes after making love. So back in England I'm a 20-a-day man"

On that subject, out of all the jokes ever said in Blackadder that one cracks me up so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm smokin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I've never smoked
    Gave them up the week of the ban. With the help of the Alan Carr book. It actually worked for me, after multiple attempts to cut down or quit, for about 35 years. I also had to change some habits, went off Guinness for about 6 weeks, No more cups of coffee after dinner. No more red wine with dinner.

Eventually weaned myself back onto Guinness, red wine and coffee. And cocaine. hahahaha, nah, never into that kind of stuff.

Even now, I dream of sitting in front of the fire on a Christmas Eve, with some Christmas pudding, a glass of port and a couple of Major. However, I would never ever light up again, for fear of succumbing. Within weeks I felt the improvement in my breathing, my blood was working properly too because the occasional and slightly scary chest pains and leg cramps faded away. So well worth the initial cold turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Higher proportion in teenage and younger years so the average is likely upset. I know when I was 19, 70pc of my group at home smoked. Typical musician group :D

Advertisement