Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donabate Distributor Road

• 14-12-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Contracts were signed yesterday by Minister for Housing & Local Government Eoghan Murphy for the Donabate Distributor Road.

The Department of the Housing & Local Government is financing 75% of the cost of the project and Fingal Co. Council the balance of 25% (total cost € 14.15m).

This is the first project that the Dept. of Housing has signed under the LIHAF scheme; the purpose of the scheme is to open up lands for residential housing development.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Boocal2013

Hi, Does anyone know the exact route and size of road or how many lanes etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Boocal2013 wrote: »

Starts just past the entrance to Newbridge House then goes close to Corballis, crosses New Road around the back of Donabate village and rejoins the Portrane Road beyond St Patrick's School.

It's essentially a bypass of Donabate village and opens up a lot of land around Ballymastone which will see significant development once this is complete.

I would have expected it to start much closer to the M1. The bad bend (where there's almost an accident on a weekly basis) will still be there. A missed opportunity IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Boocal2013 wrote: »

There's a map in the pdf in the OP, on last page

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Boocal2013

Missed opportunity is right! I am sure they will have to upgrade the entire Hearse road?? Then again this is Ireland anything is possible! We bought in Rahillion so it looks like it will benefit us hugely and take the pressure off the village of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

No mention of any upgrade works to the Hearse Road. There was talk of resurfacing and possibly realigning the bad bend, but I haven't heard anything further about it in recent times.

I'm sure completion of this is several years away. In the meantime, traffic around Donabate will get progressively worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Work has started on this according to CIS Ireland:

“The project consists of a distributor road of approximately 4km length. The alignment runs from R126 Hearse Road on the southwest of Donabate village, heading in an easterly direction, crossing the Dublin-Belfast railway line, then heading in a northerly direction to reconnect with R126 Portrane Road. Construction of the scheme is to consist of constructing the distributor road as a single carriageway for the entire length. There is a bridge over the Dublin-Belfast railway line which is to be constructed for a full dual carriageway development of the scheme.“

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

spacetweek wrote: »
    Work has started on this according to CIS Ireland:

“The project consists of a distributor road of approximately 4km length. The alignment runs from R126 Hearse Road on the southwest of Donabate village, heading in an easterly direction, crossing the Dublin-Belfast railway line, then heading in a northerly direction to reconnect with R126 Portrane Road. Construction of the scheme is to consist of constructing the distributor road as a single carriageway for the entire length. There is a bridge over the Dublin-Belfast railway line which is to be constructed for a full dual carriageway development of the scheme.“

OK so they're building the bridge to allow for an upgrade to dual carriageway which is good, but why not just do it all in one go now rather than have to disrupt and tear half of it up again later.

Can't we ever do proper planning? - but then of course there wouldn't be another round of lucrative tendering, some local TD wouldn't be able to claim credit for the expansion etc I suppose.. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    OK so they're building the bridge to allow for an upgrade to dual carriageway which is good, but why not just do it all in one go now rather than have to disrupt and tear half of it up again later.

Can't we ever do proper planning? - but then of course there wouldn't be another round of lucrative tendering, some local TD wouldn't be able to claim credit for the expansion etc I suppose.. :(
    It seems daft to build a road in the full knowledge that it's going to have to be upgraded again - surely the bulk of the cost is in the realignment aspect as well as the structures, the main one of which is be to built for dual carriageway accommodation anyway. How can people be so daft??? Well, the Irish elite could! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If the bridge were being built as S2 only, people would whinge that it wasn't being future proofed. This is a rare example of us actually future proofing something. The Donabate distributor road won't need to be widened for like 50 years, then it will be that much easier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Why would they have to "tear it up again"?
    The bridge won't need to be altered when the bypass is dualled.
    You don't provide a DC unless it's needed. The amount of traffic a road receives is proportionate to how big it is. If a DC was provided now the road would get more traffic than if it was single carriageway. So you have to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

I drove past Donabate last weekend there has been significant progress with the distributor road. Sound barriers are up and junctions almost finished.

Any ideas when it's going to open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

FCC currently have a Part 8 consultation out for sorting out the bad bend on Hearse Road mentioned above;

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/part-viii-r126-hearse-road-bend-realignment-townland-lanestown-donabate-co-dublin

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    FCC currently have a Part 8 consultation out for sorting out the bad bend on Hearse Road mentioned above;

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/part-viii-r126-hearse-road-bend-realignment-townland-lanestown-donabate-co-dublin
    Is this connected to the opening of the realignment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

yannakis wrote: »
    Is this connected to the opening of the realignment?
    Impossible to say really. They probably intended doing something about that bend at some stage regardless of the distributor road but the new road may have spurred it on. Given they will have to tender for the works to the bend, the distributor road may be open before any works are done on the bend if that's what you mean.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Impossible to say really. They probably intended doing something about that bend at some stage regardless of the distributor road but the new road may have spurred it on. Given they will have to tender for the works to the bend, the distributor road may be open before any works are done on the bend if that's what you mean.

That's what I mean, yeah. Because my original question was if anyone has info on when the realignment is going to open so that question still stands. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭mickmmc

I heard December 2019 (no specific date mentioned) for the opening of the Donabate Distributor Road.

FCC have Q4 2019 on their website. There is a By Election in Dublin Fingal on 29th November 2019.

Jons are working on upgrading a 1km (approx.) section of the R125 Rathbeale Road (Swords - Ashbourne Road).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭SeanW

You can see the new route under construction on Google Maps view of Donabate - click Satellite View.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4848038,-6.1542682,1996m/data=!3m1!1e3

Question, is the bridge over the railway line wide enough to fit 4 tracks underneath? The M50 bridge was built that way "back in the day" over the Kildare line and of course we now know that was a wise precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Does anyone have a link or source to updates on when this road is to be finished or how much time is left until it opens?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Any update on when this road will open? It looks like everything is completed to the untrained eye.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Any update on when this road will open? It looks like everything is completed to the untrained eye.

Unfortunately I haven't found a legitimate source. I'm sure this thread will come alive when it finally opens :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 the deuce

ongarboy wrote: »

The road is finished...just that the electrical work isn't yet.

Councillor Adrian Henchy:
    "Update on the Donabate Distributor Road and Road Widening on Donabate Bridge

As most of you know the Donabate Distributor road was due to open by Christmas 2019. This was subsequently delayed due to both an engineering issue at the junction for Ballymastone Sports Campus and the ESB connections all along the new Donabate Distributor Road for both junction and public lights. These issues are currently been addressed on-site and the new Donabate Distributor Road is expected to fully open by the end of February / early March."

facebook.com/cllradrianhenchy/posts/2449045925207590

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Victor wrote: »

As of this evening, only this bit is open with the new junction to access the pitches.

ATSL6Ynl.png

yannakis wrote: »
    As of this evening, only this bit is open with the new junction to access the pitches.

https://i.imgur.com/ATSL6Ynl.png

I'll revert it to highway=construction then. How much of the other end is open, at Kilcrea Road and Coast Road?

What map are you using there?

Victor wrote: »
    I'll revert it to highway=construction then. How much of the other end is open, at Kilcrea Road and Coast Road?

What map are you using there?

That's Waze, I'm one of the editors there and edits typically get published within a few days. It's focused on drivers and I've got it linked in my signature in case you'd like to give it a try.

On the other end it's only open up to the point you see the closure in the screenshot above so no chance since a good few months while.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭mickmmc

The road opening this morning according to Fingal Co. Council twitter page.

mickmmc wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/1235897375320936454

mickmmc wrote: »

Good stuff, there's a video too!

Edit: I was late :) I'll remove the duplicate link
    <clip>

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Walked along it today. It’s a somewhat bizarre road.

It is significantly higher than the surrounding lands. There’s some future accesses on it which are over a metre above the current field levels.

There’s a cycle lane along most of the NB carriageway (starting after the railway bridge) but its a shared space along the SB carriageway?? It’s certainly not due to lack of space and in some cases it almost looks like they went out of their way not to put a cycle lane in.

The railway bridge is wide enough to accommodate 4 track railway under and a dual carriageway road. It looks quite strange now with the way the road is laid out (not centred on the bridge).

There’s a very obvious kink in the road geometry after the New road junction for no apparent reason.

In what must be a first, they have installed the traffic light signals (not turned on) at a future junction which won’t be built used for a good few years.

I have no doubt it’ll be well used and a great piece of infrastructure to facilitate future growth but there are some real head scratching aspects to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Last Stop wrote: »
    Walked along it today. It’s a somewhat bizarre road.

It is significantly higher than the surrounding lands. There’s some future accesses on it which are over a metre above the current field levels.

There’s a cycle lane along most of the NB carriageway (starting after the railway bridge) but its a shared space along the SB carriageway?? It’s certainly not due to lack of space and in some cases it almost looks like they went out of their way not to put a cycle lane in.

The railway bridge is wide enough to accommodate 4 track railway under and a dual carriageway road. It looks quite strange now with the way the road is laid out (not centred on the bridge).

There’s a very obvious kink in the road geometry after the New road junction for no apparent reason.

In what must be a first, they have installed the traffic light signals (not turned on) at a future junction which won’t be built used for a good few years.

I have no doubt it’ll be well used and a great piece of infrastructure to facilitate future growth but there are some real head scratching aspects to it.

It definitely looks like it's been built with future dualling in mind.

I wonder then will cyclists be directed through Donabate village, if and when dualling happens; this might possibly explain why cycling provisions seem quite poor.

Advertisement