Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N78 - Athy Southern Distributor Road [completed]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Top Survey went out a week or two earlier so you can see the corridor under consideration

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Decision due from An Bord Pleanala in the next 3 weeks.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/HA0050.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Shame they wouldn't just build a proper N78 bypass, this thing looks more an inner relief road and will be pretty much useless if and when it gets swamped by development.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Decision on this to be published on Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

marno21 wrote: »
    Decision on this to be published on Monday.
    I think this has already been approved...

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/275885/an-bord-pleanala-approves-athy-distributor-route.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

The detail of what was decided was supposed to be released on Monday after the decision was made,
    This info was released by Martin Heydon this morning.
    But all people who made a submission were given the result today, and as a result, Thomas Redmond a County Councillor who made a submission, was able to release the details today, thankfully.
    Now all that is required is funding.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Middle Man wrote: »
    Cheers Man in the Middle.

Good to see another project get approval, hopefully funding can be found in the next year or two.

Tenders for advance works to be published for this next week.

marno21 wrote: »

Thinks a shame athy isn’t getting a proper bypass I’m not convinced of this relief road thing. Or the glacial pace it’s moving at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Athy has an AADT of around 5,000, it barely warrants this never mind a bypass considering some of the other bottlenecks around the country.
    The distributor road will do an excellent job at taking through traffic off the Main Street and into a road which will be designed to cater for it.

Last Stop wrote: »
    Athy has an AADT of around 5,000, it barely warrants this never mind a bypass considering some of the other bottlenecks around the country.
    The distributor road will do an excellent job at taking through traffic off the Main Street and into a road which will be designed to cater for it.

Where’s the traffic counter saying that? All I can is one closer to Castlecomer and one out on the M9 link. These arent the same as in the town itself. Athy is choked with traffic daily

road_high wrote: »
    Where’s the traffic counter saying that? All I can is one closer to Castlecomer and one out on the M9 link. These arent the same as in the town itself. Athy is choked with traffic daily

The counter to the south has an AADT of 3,000
    The counter to the north has an AADT of 5,000
    Neither of these would be justification for a bypass in terms of numbers for a start.
    The distributor road will take any through traffic out of the town that doesn’t need to be there. If the town is choked because of local traffic well then a distributor road will have more of an impact than a bypass.
    I really don’t see why Athy needs a bypass. I know it’s not a particularly nice town but where are people going from/to that need the bypass? The M9 took all the traffic that used to go this way as an alternative to N9 from Kilkenny.

Last Stop wrote: »
    The counter to the south has an AADT of 3,000
    The counter to the north has an AADT of 5,000
    Neither of these would be justification for a bypass in terms of numbers for a start.
    The distributor road will take any through traffic out of the town that doesn’t need to be there. If the town is choked because of local traffic well then a distributor road will have more of an impact than a bypass.
    I really don’t see why Athy needs a bypass. I know it’s not a particularly nice town but where are people going from/to that need the bypass? The M9 took all the traffic that used to go this way as an alternative to N9 from Kilkenny.

So what is the ADDT through the town itself? I live fairly close by and avoid athy like the plague if I can. I despise these half arsed cheap options that merely move from one part of a town to another rather than out of the environs properly

road_high wrote: »
    So what is the ADDT through the town itself? I live fairly close by and avoid athy like the plague if I can. I despise these half arsed cheap options that merely move from one part of a town to another rather than out of the environs properly

The AADT for through traffic is presumably somewhere between 3-5k.
    What benefit is a bypass going to have over this road? The problem with Athy isn’t through traffic, it’s local traffic. A bypass won’t solve that but a distributor road will.

Kildare County Council have started the tender process for the construction of the 3.4km Athy Southern Distributor Road

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/164878/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Notice of Kildare County Council for Athy Southern Distributor Road for May 4th 2021 to May 3rd 2022. Closure of athy canal side to facilitate construction of Distributor road. Is this the start of construction or has it already begun

https://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/TemporaryRoadClosure-NoticeofIntention-CanalSideAthy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Anyone know its progress?

• Advertisement

Very little from anything I’ve seen. Seemed to have stalked completely. Not surprising with an idiot like Martin Heydi

Athy Southern Distributor road has got the green light.

Hopefully will start within the next month.

BAM have the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Did BAM get out on the ground before the end of 2021 with this?

They spoke of been on site shortly after contract signing but no dates given for start or end in anything I've read. https://www.bam.com/en/press/press-releases/2021/10/kildare-county-council-awards-contract-for-athy-distributor-road

Looks a fairly easy build other than a new river crossing. There was already prelim work done on this from what i can see (removing old structures / asbestos etc) so should progress rapidly once they put a digger on site.

Unfortunately I don't know, I have moved away from Athy so not on top of local activity anymore.

There seems to be radio silence on social platforms regarding it especially from the local Politicians.

@Pablod May have an idea if they see this.

passed through athy a few weeks and didn’t see a thing going on. Usually that prat Martin Heydon TD would be going on about it if anything was happening

A Tweet from CISIreland advising that BAM have commenced construction on the Athy Distributer Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Yes, @rameire

They are on site about 3-4 weeks and they have started clearing (A LOT OF CLEARING) either side of the R417 along the old railway line,

Will try grab pics over next few days and throw up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I won't believe it until I see the proof 😃😃😃

I remember going to the peerless rug company on a school trip (md's son was in my class) and there was talk about how the "soon to be started" bypass would make things better and that they had been waiting a few years by then.

That was circa 1980

So photos or I won't believe it 😃

Fair enough.... i'll have to go get photos now....

I know PICs or GTFO 😂🤣

• Advertisement

Here you go folks @rameire @silver2020

Few brief pics over last few days on Athy-Carlow road (R417) by old railway line along the back of the Rugby grounds

the last pic is from the R418 Castledermot road where they have just started works last few days to join up with R417

Advertisement