Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Feedback Thread 2021 [Read first post before posting]

• 09-06-2021 10:20am
    Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Feedback thread for 2021 is now open. The purpose of this thread is for forum members to have an opportunity to provide constructive feedback about the forum and set out how you would like the soccer forum to be improved.

The following are the rules for the thread, so be aware of them before posting.

Timeline:
    Please note, this thread will be locked next Wednesday (16th) and will be reviewed by the Mods, Cmods and Admins.

Rules:
    Trolling, abuse or breaches of the charter in this thread will be an immediate infraction and 2 week ban for anyone who breaches the rules. If you want to post in this thread you are agreeing to accept this rule, we want this thread to run smoothly as its all in your vested interests.

Couple of basic ground rules before we get going:

(1) This isn't a platform to attack individuals or Moderators. This isn't to turn into a witch hunt against people you don't like. This is your chance to tell us what we should or should not be doing.

(2) If someone makes a point that you don't agree with then either respond in a constructive manner with a decent counter-point or don't respond at all. Attempted witty one liners to undermine an argument are pointless and will not be tolerated. Most of the time you think you're being funny, you're not. If you think it's not a good idea outline reasons why you think it's not going to work instead of dragging the thread wildly off topic.

(3) Please, when you're making a point take a second to THINK about it and make sure it's what you actually want. So make sure when you're asking for something to happen that you realise it's going to effect you too, not just other users.

(4) As usual, we'll be using 'Thanks' to work out what suggestions seem the most supported, so if you agree what someone says thank their post and it gives us a better idea and makes it easier to keep track that trying to add up loads of individual posts. This is your chance to have your say so if you have an issue and you think it needs to be resolved mention it, but please remember this isn't a place to grind your axe, try be constructive in your input.

(5) Let's have a grown up discussion.

Thanks.

Other News:
    As you may have seen, Boards.ie is going to be making some changes and moving to a new platform.

Further details here and here

Soccer is specifically referenced in the thread, while this move is now delayed from the timeline in the OP it may be useful for forum members and those who only read soccer to check out the details.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭irelandrover

For me the main problem of the forum is United v Liverpool. It spills into everything except team threads.

I'd suggest having 2 premier league general threads. One where mentions of United/Liverpool are allowed and one where it isn't. Any mention of United or Liverpool is a thread ban. Obviously the alternative thread would be a lot quieter but would be great to be able to discuss games without having to wade through the pointless bickering.

Last year on the transfer thread we had about 6 pages discussing TAA when he wasn't even a rumored transfer. Things like that should be stopped by the mods before they dominate the threads. I know its not always possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,292 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

how about a sub-forum for United, and one for Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Modding has been much better since new appointments over the last year from what I noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think the forum is in better shape now than it has been for a long while. Well done to all involved.

I wouldn't agree though that the forum should cater specifically to the MUFC and Liverpool fans by having dedicated threads/sub-forums. People stirring shyte should be moderated, simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,343 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's been brilliant since I left.

no correlation, i swear :(:pac:

the only issue is Liverpool v Utd. most of it should just be ignored, but some of it is so blatant. the inability for some on both sides to be even a smidgeon objective makes conversation around certain things impossible. and unfortunately, it takes over then, and ruins the original conversation.

but as I say, apart from that, no complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,239 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

one thing that really pisses me off is the utd/liverpool fans slagging other team threads that dont get as much traffic. so childish. so what if they dont have as big a fan base on boards as my/your team does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Modding, in general, has been excellent since the last feedback thread imo. Ive been around Boards for more than 10 years and this past 12 months is honestly the first time I can say that there are no biases / favoritism / cronyism on display across the forum, everyone is treated exactly the same when it comes to moderation so kudos to the 4 or 5 new appointments in moving the forum in that direction, great to see.

The only annoyance (sic) is as others have mentioned above, the usual United vs Liverpool crap.

In the humour thread, a rule was introduced to remove the loophole where by people could post whatever they wanted having pops at rival teams so I think a similar approach in the general threads could help with that.

Obviously its more difficult to police as its not as blatant as the humour thread stuff and most of those that regularly get involved are savvy enough to skirt around the rules but its abundantly clear what the intentions are.

Eg, United or Liverpool lose, all of a sudden there is a pile on in the threads from opposition fans "great result, you love to see it" etc etc. A quick mod note to cut out the goading / baiting should resolve it fairly quickly and if not, start carding. Same with the way conversations about most everything turn into whatabouttery with respect to other clubs. A mod note to stick to the topic at hand and any further guff will result in cards.

Obviously this would be difficult to implement and / or police but perhaps something to consider.

Other than that though, no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I've only one question. Why is there still a stickied sub forum about a tournament that happened three years ago at the top of the forum?

Other wise this place is fine since I've stopped reading it bar once or twice a month :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,239 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i've taken liberties in the liverpool thread/general thread on some occasions, but always in good humour (i think :P). to me, good natured banter should be allowed. the same as you would have with your mates in real life. like, most people here are normal and carry on the same with their mates.
    i understand that cant happen here cos no one knows anyone.

i dont know how you do it, but try to differentiate between having a laugh and purely in to WUM. also realise people will go overboard sometimes and i would suggest post history should play a factor in infractions (not historical bans, but actual substance).

whats worse is the faux concern/congratulations/commiserations some people post in the utd/liverpool threads, there's always a little dig in there somewhere subtle as it may be sometimes.

solutions...cos its gonna happen....take posters history into account, or adopt a zero tolerance approach. if zero tolerance, that needs to be spelled out clearly with examples. if a more liberal approach, that also needs to be explained clearly - like VAR, just be more transparent.

sub forums? i disagree with. i post occasionally in other teams threads and its usually received well if you are making a valid point/debate. otherwise it turns into an echo chamber and the threads looses traffic.

i dont envy you mods for a second!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

will there be an open form Euro2020 forum this summer, as there has been for previous tournaments separate from the actual soccer forum itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just seen this thread. Feedback this year is overall positive, seems to be more mods around and a fairly swift response to anyone acting the bollocks. I found myself reading less and less of the forum in recent years but drifted back in over the last few months and it seems more enjoyable.

Hopefully it'll continue and isn't just as a result of the two "big" sides having relatively unsuccessful seasons but it does feel like a better place for discussion now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Modding has been superb the past year tbh.

Trouble makers are dealt with presumably quickly, and mods are on top of anyone trying to get into tit for tat nonsense. This has made the whole forum much better for discussions.

Hats off to all involved for cleaning it up.

On the Humour thread.

I can see it's gone from being a very active thread to one that's getting one post a day on average looking at the last page or so.

Did it actually warrant censoring a picture thread? The no chat rule was brilliant, and worked very well.

Also, can the actual rules regarding Liverpool/Utd posts be clarified? Some are allowed, some are deleted. Other clubs are fine to post about it seems. Bit confusng.

Imo, it's gone a bit too far on the censoring.

I think the restrictions on posting are far too stringent tbh, and this being the case the mods have a very tough job in applying them consistently

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

6 wrote: »
    On the Humour thread.

I can see it's gone from being a very active thread to one that's getting one post a day on average looking at the last page or so.

Did it actually warrant censoring a picture thread? The no chat rule was brilliant, and worked very well.

Also, can the actual rules regarding Liverpool/Utd posts be clarified? Some are allowed, some are deleted. Other clubs are fine to post about it seems. Bit confusng.

Imo, it's gone a bit too far on the censoring.

This is largely for me.

The thread had moderator notes in it for a very long time and the purpose of the thread was always for humour and not intended to create tensions or bad feeling.

Previous Note:
    The thread is for funny things; moments in games where things go bizarre, pictures of players doing crazy things, tweets or vines that make you chuckle. It is not for one set of fans to take pot shots at another set of fans. There's so much posted that actually is attempts at humor, but the "No Chat/Discussion" rule was brought in to try and combat this sort of problem, and now, instead, people are just posting the comments in pictures and creating the tensions again.

So for now, I'm deleting such posts tonight; anything that is simply going to antagonize other fans for the sake of antagonizing will be deleted. Attempts to rile up rival fans is baiting and trolling. We won't be issuing cards off the bat; there's a thin line and if someone crosses it in a genuine attempt at humour, we don't want to have to overreact. But if we feel there's a user who continually is posting pictures in this thread simply to troll or bait arguments, then we will also not simply let it slide either.

I know there'll be some who'll throw their arms up and give out that it's only "banter" or whatever. But I think the vast majority are just bored of this Liverpool/Man United penis measuring contest that takes over everything on here, and this is going to be a step towards calming it down drastically.

The above was largely forgotten, for a variety of reasons it was not always possible to enforce or encourage use of the thread for what was intended.

Some humour posts and banter are going to poke fun at clubs but at times the thread was used to take the proverbial and cause unrest, especially after games when things can be raw for supporters. That contributes to further unrest elsewhere in the forum.

The opening of a new thread was the chance to have a fresh start in line with what the thread was meant to be (as per the notes in the previous thread).

Some posts will still be missed at times but generally posts are removed rather than posters carded (unless the post contains abuse; another clear charter breach or a poster keeps using the thread to antagonise others).

In short, if a post would not be accepted in other parts of the forum then it should not be posted under humour to get around it.

Edit: The above is me trying to explain the thinking behind how the thread is moderated - it was enforcement of the rules already in play. Feedback on suitability of those rules is welcome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think the restrictions on posting are far too stringent tbh, and this being the case the mods have a very tough job in applying them consistently

Can you add some more information about what you think is too stringent or not consistent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,292 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

cards having no expiration is one thing I have an issue with.

I got a two week ban for a typo (phone autocorrected souness to sourness) because i got a yellow card for it, with the previous infraction having been 18 months previous to that.

Feels bad that having been fine for 18 months, 1 infraction can result in such a ban.

There should be some level of cards being forgotten about after some time frame - maybe not the wipe clean it previously was at the start of a new season, but cards carrying on forever feels like a swing way too far in the other direction.

DM_7 wrote: »
    This is largely for me.

The thread had moderator notes in it for a very long time and the purpose of the thread was always for humour and not intended to create tensions or bad feeling.

Previous Note:

The above was largely forgotten, for a variety of reasons it was not always possible to enforce or encourage use of the thread for what was intended.

Some humour posts and banter are going to poke fun at clubs but at times the thread was used to take the proverbial and cause unrest, especially after games when things can be raw for supporters. That contributes to further unrest elsewhere in the forum.

The opening of a new thread was the chance to have a fresh start in line with what the thread was meant to be (as per the notes in the previous thread).

Some posts will still be missed at times but generally posts are removed rather than posters carded (unless the post contains abuse; another clear charter breach or a poster keeps using the thread to antagonise others).

In short, if a post would not be accepted in other parts of the forum then it should not be posted under humour to get around it.

Edit: The above is me trying to explain the thinking behind how the thread is moderated - it was enforcement of the rules already in play. Feedback on suitability of those rules is welcome.

Thanks for the response.

Understand it's now a strict enforcement of the rules, but imo it's a bit too far. Was there many complaints about the thread? It's photos, and videos. I find it hard to believe it offended many people.It was very tame compared to other social media. Some of the funniest ones were about my own team tbh.

Not so sure abut that. I bet a lot of the posts currently on there would be complained about if posted in the General PL thread.

As acceptable photos are allowed in other threads, the humour thread will just die which is a shame imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,344 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I got a two week ban for a typo (phone autocorrected souness to sourness) because i got a yellow card for it, with the previous infraction having been 18 months previous to that.

Feels bad that having been fine for 18 months, 1 infraction can result in such a ban.

There should be some level of cards being forgotten about after some time frame - maybe not the wipe clean it previously was at the start of a new season, but cards carrying on forever feels like a swing way too far in the other direction.
    This is something I've noticed actually. There should be a limit on the toting up definitely imo. You have the same punishment for 3 yellows in 18 months as 3 yellows in 1 month. 3 yellows in 1000 posts as 3 yellows in 15 posts. It's obvious which is the worse offender in both the above scenario. It makes a ban almost inevitable for longer term posters.

I'd echo the above with regards the general running of the forum and think the moderation has done a good job at times of asking things to move on rather than the card first, ask questions later of yesteryear. Most situations can be dissolved before getting over the line and I think that's what has happened recently. Great job overall by the mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Good review from me.

Latest mods are very active and cut out the crap. A lot of the bad posters seemed to have been banned

Remember 3 years ago there was a war and everyone going mad? This is like a picnic in comparison

• Advertisement

Wiping the slate clean every season wasn't working. Users were able to rack up cards but then start afresh the following season.

Current process means people getting away with a lot of trolling are eventually caught and banned. I think it has worked well in that regard.

Maybe a 3 year expiry might be a solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,481 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

My feedback like many others is very positive this season. There were clear problems on the forum and most have been swiftly dealt with after new mod appointments, who've all done a great job so far.

Maybe there's still a bit of work to do on United/Liverpool tensions and the ripple effect that has throughout the forum, but I have to say it isn't nearly as bad as it used to be and I think most would agree with that.

So, my overall feedback to the mods would be to keep doing what you're doing, and well done to all involved for vastly improving this forum over the past year.

Good thinking. It could be like driving points. Infraction can expire from 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Soccer forum seems less antagonist in the last 12 months but especially since before Christmas. There appears to be a few if the trouble makers have either been banned or moved on and that's definitely helped the constant sniping and trolling. Probably a few more still hanging around but I'd be more confident they'll actually be stopped eventually.

Moderation seems to be good overall and I'm seeing more frequent warnings on threads to cut out the nonsense.

One thing I did see recently was discussion on a match (think it was CL) in the Man United or Liverpool thread and a mod said not to discuss the match in the superthread. I had a look at a few of the other team threads and they were all disscussing/few posts on the match but no warning was issued. I think in that situation if it's stopped in one thread and told to post in a match thread then the same warning should be posted in all threads but I honestly couldn't see the harm in a bit of chat in the team threads either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Soccer forum seems less antagonist in the last 12 months but especially since before Christmas. There appears to be a few if the trouble makers have either been banned or moved on and that's definitely helped the constant sniping and trolling. Probably a few more still hanging around but I'd be more confident they'll actually be stopped eventually.

Moderation seems to be good overall and I'm seeing more frequent warnings on threads to cut out the nonsense.

One thing I did see recently was discussion on a match (think it was CL) in the Man United or Liverpool thread and a mod said not to discuss the match in the superthread. I had a look at a few of the other team threads and they were all disscussing/few posts on the match but no warning was issued. I think in that situation if it's stopped in one thread and told to post in a match thread then the same warning should be posted in all threads but I honestly couldn't see the harm in a bit of chat in the team threads either way.

I'm not going to speak for the mod in question in this case, and mostly chat like that would be overlooked. Usually in these cases the mod would be responding to a reported post and it wouldn't be typical or shouldn't be asked of the mod to read through each thread to see if the same thing is happening elsewhere as we know that the SF is fast moving and it can be hard to follow everything.

It's one of the reasons why reporting posts that breach of the charter is asked of the users. We as mods cannot catch everything without them, which in turn can leave to posters being frustrated that they got a warning/card for something that was missed elsewhere by the mods because it wasn't reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Trigger wrote: »
    Usually in these cases the mod would be responding to a reported post

That would make more sense actually.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭SM01

To echo what's already been mentioned, the place seems a lot better the last few months with the policing of the WUMs and trolls. Actual football conversations now flourish without the unfunny banter-wnakers spoiling multiple threads. Fair play mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's several names that used to pop a lot who no longer seem to be about so I imagine they've been banned or got fed up and shuffled off with the new approach.

The forum is better for it so thanks to the mods for that, yez have done a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

.G. wrote: »
    I've only one question. Why is there still a stickied sub forum about a tournament that happened three years ago at the top of the forum?

I'd also like to know the reason for this.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks to all who provided feedback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement