Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Idah has all the tools to be a great number 9. His hold up play tonight has been very good.

What a save Kelleher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kelleher in form tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Two cracking saves

And again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Two great saves from Kelleher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Superb saves from Kelleher there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Kelleher is some buachaill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Manning for J McC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

McClean had a decent game defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Typical that Ireland have two good options in the one position, and can only play one of them!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nice passing leading up to that chance.

Needed to compose himself. Cracking move though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kelleher looks so assured in goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Super keeper

Kelleher just looks the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Typical that Ireland have two good options in the one position, and can only play one of them!

Stick Kelleher up front. Pretty sure he played as a striker in the Kennedy Cup and only moved into goals at 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭RonanG86

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Kelleher looks so assured in goal.

You just never think he's going to make a mistake.

Bazunu's really good too, but at the moment I'd put Kelleher ahead of him. They just need to play at club level and not stagnate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That could have been worse, some nice saves from Kelleher.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Daryl Horgan is our most important creative player all of a sudden. The new Wes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Love the positive play from Ogbene since he came on

• Advertisement

Ogbene has put himself about. Great to see.

Ft 0-0

I'm reasonably impressed with tonight's performance I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Improving

I saw enough lads wanting to play on the ball tonight to brighten my expectations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Ogbene looked really lively when he came on. Was looking to get on the ball and drive at Hungarys defence. Need a few more players like that

Big step up tonight imo against a talented team. The young players are really promising I think this is the most optimistic iv been after a game for some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

That was fine.

Hourihane has to go though. Absolutely useless.

Encouraging from Ireland tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Always difficult to take much when playing such poor opposition. Hungary are very lucky to be at the Euros.

So I don't know really. Overall positive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Well, think that was OK all things considered. Unbeaten in 3 games with a +2 goal difference.

Does not excuse the problems we have, but we need to take any positives as we will probably be tanked by Portugal in September :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Solid away performance, shaky at times at the back early on, but they seem to be going long with good passes when needed. Could have won it, draw prob a fair result. Some nice moves and at times breaking down too easily in the final third.

Delighted for Duffy after a tough year, was very good. Few more lads getting a cap and experience. Onwards and upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Some very impressive stuff. Two fine keeper. Doherty, Egan and Duffy all solid. Knight and Cullen improved as the game went on. Idah could be very good. Parrott didn't do much tonight but we need a goal scorer. Ogbene really showed something - he has power and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Nice to feel optimistic after a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No goal again but decent performance away from home, no game for 3 months now, alot will change in that time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Some positives to take for sure. Duffy and McClean with their best performances in a good while, Knight impressive, some good appearances from the bench as I thought Horgan, Molumby and Ogbene (for 3 mins) looked good. Cullen looked better second half too once Hourihane went off. Definitely thought we played better second half and it felt like a more Irish performance in terms of lads putting in a shift and we looked like we might nick a goal.

Kelleher and Bazunu are going to have great battles for that number one jersey over the next ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thought Knight was MOTM

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

No goal again but decent performance away from home, no game for 3 months now, alot will change in that time.

We probably need almost all of our starters tonight to move clubs to either a higher level or to just get games. If Irish players can get some good moves over the summer Id be much happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Positives:
    Duffy. Apart from his awful touch near the end, it transpires the big man can use his feet after all.

Cullen & Knight. Irish midfielders who know what a midfielder is supposed to do.

McLean. One of his better performances, I thought. He used his footballing ability rather than just running around a lot. Faded a bit in the 2nd half though.

Bazunu & Kelleher. Goalkeeper should not be an issue for us going forward.

Negatives:
    Hourihane. He put himself about more than Andorra and got in a couple of blocks, but generally looked off it. He just goes missing too much especially when we have the ball.

Doherty. He is very frustrating to watch. I cannot fault his effort, and he was good defensively today, which is normally a weak point in his game. But he seems to have no head for getting into a good position to receive the ball, and when he does get the ball he can't cross. His choice of pass leaves a bit to be desired too.

Still a little concerned about where a decent supply of chances will come from. I find it very hard to really rate how Parrott and Idah did because there were stretches of the game where they fed off scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I think we had an issue in the first half particularly with nobody trying to make runs in behind, idah and Troy both coming deep for the ball, we needed players running off them...

But a much better performance, also since when has ogbene learnt to pass, when he was at Limerick he was a glory...a very effective one nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That was a good performance. Would've been great for Ogbene to grab the winner.

Both GKs excellent.

Defence was solid. O'Shea poor in possession but good defensively. Duffy surprisingly good in possession bar that one slip up near the end.

Hopefully that performance was the death knell for Hourihane's chances for the foreseeable future. I'd have Molumby ahead of him every time. May not be as good a passer but his ability to pick up the ball and drive from deep, and his overall energy offer so much more.

Some engine on Jason Knight. Non-stop running and really came into it in the second half. I'd stick with Idah and Parrot up front as I think they showed enough in their first start to show they have an understanding and could link up well with Knight.

Horgan again impressed when he came on. That touch and flick to Idah would've been spoken about for years as one of our best ever goals if Idah had scored. The through ball for Ogbene brilliant also.

I said it the other day, but I think it's abundantly clear that it's the players who have played for Kenny before that are really starting to come good for him.

A word for Ogbene too... He has the type of pace we just haven't had in a long time on the wing. Potentially a really good option from the bench when playing on the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Lisa Fallon is superb. She has a great awareness of the game

Constantly playing it so deep at the back from goal kicks won't be possible against better teams. Bit of a gamble if that's the decided path.

One of Kenny's better interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The two goalkeepers did well. Nice to see Duffy playing better after his difficult spell at Celtic. I liked what Ogbene did when he came on at the end.

Overall, I'm still not seeing any evidence of the swashbuckling new brand of Irish football we were sold. They had 17 shots to our 6. They had 6 efforts on target to our 1 (and that was Idah's effort from an unforced error by the defender). They had 60% possession to our 40. We don't look capable of getting goals, and we look worryingly vulnerable at set plays. Kenny still has no idea what his best XI is and this was his 13th game in charge of the side. We have 1 win in those 13 matches - against Andorra. We've been held scoreless in 9 of those 13 games.

The remaining 6 odd qualifiers this year will bring it all to a head one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

One of Kenny's better interviews.

For all his faults he oozes passion about his job. I’ve worries about if he’s good enough but I so want him to do well.

The remaining 6 odd qualifiers this year will bring it all to a head one way or another.

Qualification is basically gone already so results might not be as important in that regard as they would have been.

If we continue to see progress and we have some good games i'd be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

She's a very good analyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

I'm reasonably impressed with tonight's performance I have to say.
    Was happy out with that myself. Really good positive play. It was always going to take time to adjust to a different style of play. You don't need world quality players if you have the right formation and play as a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Soups123 wrote: »
    For all his faults he oozes passion about his job. I’ve worries about if he’s good enough but I so want him to do well.

If we want to play football the right way then it's worth giving him some time to put a team together, like others said he should cut ties with some of the former under-performing players.

Duffy, McClean, Coleman and Doherty are giving their all for the shirt though which is great to see, others are not and should not be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭briany

Definitely a better performance tonight. Gives some hope that Kenny is getting a proper gameplan together and perhaps the team could at least go into the Autumn looking to give opponents a decent game. Hey, I'll take that after the last year and a bit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement