Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020 Draft - Picks Thread

• 04-06-2021 10:58am
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

valencia-spain-december-10-2019-260nw-1586003932.jpg

This thread is for picks only, please keep chat to the dedicated thread here.

Pick order is as follows:

1 IncognitoMan
    2 Bounty Hunter
    3 wrestlemaniac
    4 Liam O
    5 GlaDOS
    6 Ferris_Bueller
    7 Mr. Nice Guy
    8 SlickRic
    9 Lucas Hood
    10 Hello 2D Person Below
    11 martyos121
    12 dr.kenneth noisewater

And reverse on even numbered rounds

draft.png

Any player called up for a Euro 2020 squad (List here) is eligible for the regular rounds. Form based on total career (peak) form.

Round 4 is the Euro Legends round: Retired players, who played in a a previous Euros. Form based on total international form.

Round 5 is the Non-UEFA round: Any player who has received a cap for a non-UEFA based team in the last year (Since 1/6/2020). Form based on total career (peak) form.

While just a player name is required for a pick, a brief player profile, picture,how he'll fit into your team etc is always appreciated.

Please PM the next poster on the list when you have made your pick.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

First pick and it really can only be one guy. Over 770 official senior career goals for club and country

Pick 1 : Cristiano Ronaldo

cristiano-ronaldo-portugal_q5pbq2bgqojy1e0xdy8zl7tjb.jpg?t=1879341620&quality=100

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I am second guessing this pick so much as I had no list of picks drawn up nor did I expect to draw no.2 but...

CFs always go fast in these things so I am going to take the best in the world with my pick. The guy who should have won the Ballon D'or last year and should win it this year if he doesn't get screwed because his nation won't be winning the Euros.
    210522122452-02-robert-lewandowski-0522-super-tease.jpg

Despite only making 29 appearances he scored 41 Bundesliga goals this season to break Ger Muller's 49-year goal-scoring record. That's ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Would never usually pick a GK this early, but there is one truly world class keeper at the Euro's this year and I believe there's a real drop off in quality quite quickly in this position.

52628815_101.jpg

Manuel Neuer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think the above is a great pick. If overall career including club form is going on it's Eden Hazard who's the best player I've ever seen at beating someone and an asset to any team.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmxbuRTrhTBgLo8vVKHLbDZnist5zgIe2_GA&usqp=CAU

I mentioned in the chat thread that Lewensowski is the best CF around, well for me this guy is 2nd.

221 goals in 336 appearences for spurs, 34 in 54 for England, this guy is a goal machine. He can also contribute creatively, particularly demonstrating it this season, picking up 17 assists in all competitions.

Pick number one is Harry Kane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

N'Golo Kante

newFile-2.jpg?width=982&height=726&auto=webp&quality=75

I'm picking him as my first choice as I don't think there is a better player available in this position, probably even including the two special rounds.

Back to back PL titles with different clubs, a Champions League, Europa League and a World Cup to his name, with a decent chance of adding the Euros this summer. He is an incredible player who will give me a great base and a few options from midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He's the darling of France, and arguably the most sought after talent in the game.

He's bagged a hat-trick at the Camp Nou, and his brace at the Allianz put an all-conquering Bayern side to the sword. He's also managed goals at the Etihad, Anfield, Old Trafford and the Bernabeu to name but a few. This year he beat Messi's record for being the youngest player to score 25 Champions League goals aged just 22 years and 80 days.

In 2018 his goals helped his country win the biggest prize in football. He is of course...

4E7C3EE900000578-5990287-image-a-47_1532516543920.jpg

...Kylian Mbappe.

Delighted to have him in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

A more complete midfielder you will not find.

Belgium's heartbeat.

In a galaxy of superstars at his club, he stands above the rest.

What a creative base to build a team from.

Kevin de Bruyne.

NINTCHDBPICT000613705913-e1602570848923.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Karim Benzema

You don't stay at Real Madrid for 11/12 years without being outstanding.
    karim-benzema-champions-league-real-madrid-2018.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Easy decision for me, and I’m delighted he’s still available this late in the round. Best player at the 2018 World Cup, captaining his relatively unfancied Croatia side to the final against the odds playing a starring role in every match on the way, and winning the Ballon D’Or in the same year on the back of his incredible performances at international level. My first pick is…

ca57b090-a324-4ef2-834a-ba005d63c38f-AFP_AFP_1BB6TJ.JPG?crop=1114,1141,x233,y226&width=660&height=676&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Luka Modrić

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

My first pick is Lukaku, best striker left to pick from.
    (Will do a better write up when on laptop)

My next pick gives me great flexibility and options in my attack, Thomas Muller

I was torn between two names for this pick, and I know whichever one I don’t take here will be snapped up pretty quickly, but I couldn’t resist the chance to partner Luka Modric with another world class midfielder, and a player he’s achieved everything alongside at club level. With this being an international draft, the emphasis is on performances for one’s country, and as a World Cup winner in 2014 and one of the best players of the tournament, and again one of the standout players at Euro 2016, I think he’s an excellent pick at this stage of the draft. My second selection is Luka’s Real Madrid teammate and arguably Germany’s best midfielder of the last decade…

bcsmyge5da8ea75za2vl.jpg

Toni Kroos

Andy Robertson

EdmZEiJX0AAWYNY.jpg

Jordan Henderson

84279_ap_20204820300404_1595466547514-1.jpg

Am I sorted now? haha

Going with Gareth Bale another 4 time champions league winner.

European Championship winner.
    World Cup winner.
    Serial La Liga winner.
    Multi time Champions League winner.

Not only the fulcrum for Barca through their best years, but also the Spain side that dominated football for at least 6 years.

Sergio Busquets

skysports-spain-busquets-sergio-busquets_5407507.jpg?20210606213745

Team
    Kevin de Bruyne
    Sergio Busquets

This next pick can operate in the base of midfield or at right-back, and gives me some helpful flexibility.

He's won several titles, a Champions League, been named in both the FIFA and UEFA team of the year, as well as being named Champions League Defender of the Season in 2019/20. He's one of Germany's most important players heading into the Euros. He is...

1_Paris-Saint-Germain-v-Bayern-Munich-UEFA-Champions-League-Final.jpg

...Joshua Kimmich.

Team so far:

1. Kylian Mbappe
    2. Joshua Kimmich

Giorgio Chiellini

image.jpg

Bearing in mind how strong some of the attacking players will be in this draft, I have gone a bit against the grain with my two picks and opted for defensive solidity.

So I am happy to have selected IMO the best central defender available in the draft (apart from special rounds). Nine team Serie A winner, he is a true old school Italian centre back who is comfortable both playing in a back 3 or back 4, which gives me a bit of flexibility down the line.

On phone, so can't do a proper write up.

I pick Raphael Varane.

9b7e3f3f1179c8fb5cb70503389ae71b.jpg

Had a bit of trouble deciding this one but a solid centre back is always needed and Mats Hummels is a complete one who you can build a defence around.

• Advertisement

This man is quite adept at playing in a number of positions so gives me a bit of flexibility with later picks.

2020-08-22-187-UEFA_Champions_League_Final.jpg

David Alaba

In his Prime (around 5 years ago) He was in the Uefa team of the year, Seria A team of the year, champions league team of the year and was a Ballon d'Or nominee. With more than 100 caps for Italy and is of course...
    Leonardo Bonucci

1150370268.jpg.0.jpg

Pick 2 : Genuinely didn't expect this guy to still be on the board at the end of R2

In 80 games so far for Man Utd he has 40 goals and 25 assists. Has created the highest number of chances across Europe's top leagues this season as well.

He is the Portuguese magnifico : Bruno Fernandes

E1TWZmwXMAMDAy7.jpg

To start off R3 I will go with the man who has just won the Premier league player of the season award

Perhaps the main reason Man City won the league this season. An absolute rock at the back for them in a season he has established himself as one of the best centre backs in the world.

Ruben Dias

process?url=https%3A%2F%2F90min-images-original.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fproduction%2Fportugal-v-luxembourg-uefa-nations-league-5dcdb1494ec6df86ad00000b.jpg&filters%5Bcrop%5D%5Bw%5D=0.8838095238095238&filters%5Bcrop%5D%5Bh%5D=0.9942857142857143&filters%5Bcrop%5D%5Bo_x%5D=0.0419047619047619&filters%5Bcrop%5D%5Bo_y%5D=0.005714285714285714&filters%5Bquality%5D%5Btarget%5D=80&type=.jpg&filters%5Bresize%5D%5Bw%5D=630&filters%5Bresize%5D%5Bh%5D=472

For my 3rd round pick I have decided to go for a position where there isn't massive depth available and perhaps if left till late in the game you might be struggling against some of the world class talent on display. That said this guy is also very much known for getting forward and attacking. At his peak he was without doubt one of the best LBs in the world it's...
    Jordi Alba
    Sl6C.gif

My next pick is the master of s**thousery. Well able to stand up to the top centre forwards.A very under rated defender who was at the centre of Madrid's defence for the best part of a decade.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-KDH_J7SC_asgJRfZhJI-YPo0GVts2VIWkNLPcKRA4Tx7WKYUkjI0C1zE31YxP8DF2pM&usqp=CAU

Kepler Laveran de Lima Ferreira ComM aka Pepe

Was going to take Pepe as I actually rate him the best CB in the draft but thought he was more likely to fall.

Oh well, onto the best player available who has no business being available in round 3.

CuL3cK4WgAAdv45.jpg

Antoine Griezmann will lead my attack and he showed at previous international tournaments and in his time at Atletico that he knows how to score but also link up the play. Leaves me a bit of flexibility as he is equally adept at playing from the right as leading the line.

marco-verratti-214104.jpeg

Delighted to get this player at this point, for me one of the most complete midfielders around. Capable of playing as an attacking midfielder or a deep lying playmaker and everything else in between. He's a world class passer of the ball and a strong dribbler, but also a tenacious ball-winner and strong in the tackle despite his size.

He's had injury problems over the years, but when fit is undoubtedly one of the best midfielders around. He'll bring creativity and control, without compromising solidity.

Pick number 3 is Marco Verratti.

1. Harry Kane
    2. Raphael Varane
    3. Marco Verratti.

Raheem Sterling

Raheem-Sterling-Manchester-City-1.jpg

This pick was a bit tougher than my other two, but he is one of few players left of the initial list I made for a couple of positions. Not coming off the back of a great season but he was world class for Man City the previous three seasons where he had a better than 1 in 2 strike rate, you are not going to get too much better than that from a wide forward.

Pace to burn and has the incredible knack of drifting into those positions between the full backs and central defenders. Not sure 100% yet how the team will look come the end but he should be a player that no full back will relish playing against.

• Advertisement

Going to turn towards my defence now and like my previous pick this man offers me flexibility. He can operate effectively as a LB - and played there for every game of France's World Cup win in 2018 - and also as a CB. Bayern made him their record signing when they bought him for €80m from Atletico. He is...

feb20-15538153507860-800.jpg

...Lucas Hernandez.

Team so far:

1. Kylian Mbappe
    2. Joshua Kimmich
    3. Lucas Hernandez

21 years old.

Winner of the 'Golden Boy' award in 2018.

The lynchpin of the Dutch defence in the absence of a certain megastar. Has also settled at Juve after an iffy start.

Matthijs de Ligt

Matthijs-De-Ligt-Netherlands-F365.jpg

Team:

Kevin de Bruyne
    Sergio Busquets
    Matthijs de Ligt

Thiago Alcántara

My man to keep things ticking over in midfield.

Man City pulled Juventus' pants down in this one.

Joao Cancelo

96427537dba45d435823905f296943e6.jpg

My next pick is one of the best centre backs available in this draft…

tumblr_pabodlrXSX1rmu9nmo1_1280.jpg

Jan Vertonghen

My 3rd pick is the best defensive midfielder left, still only 24 and a mainstay for Holland and Barca already. Probably the star player of the Ajax team of 18-19 where he was voted midfielder of the year and came 7th in the Fifa player of the year, its Frenkie De Jong!

GettyImages-1172903291.jpg

• Advertisement

My pick for the legends round will be the bedrock of my team, an absolute legend of the game with 103 caps, winning captain for a World cup in 1974 and European championships in 1972. Twice named European Footballer of the Year, played in three FIFA World Cups and two European Championships. He is one of three men to have won the World Cup as a player and as a manager. He was the first captain to lift the World Cup and European Championship at international level and the European Cup at club level. He was named in the World Team of the 20th Century in 1998, the FIFA World Cup Dream Team in 2002, the Ballon d'Or Dream Team in 2020, and in 2004 was listed in the FIFA 100 of the world's greatest living players.

Known as Der Kaiser, its Franz Beckenbauer

original-beckebnauer-43-jpg-fa7ce397.jpg

Can't do a write up or picture at the minute, but my pick for the legends round is...

Johan Cruyff

He has won everything in the game, yet it's his international performances that are often most fondly remembered;

- One World Cup, one runner-up
    - One European Championship
    - Two World Cup final goals.
    - Sublime Euro 2000
    - Return from retirement to carry France to the World Cup final in 2006 with one of the greatest overall individual tournament performances of all-time.

Zinedine Zidane

b70f6346d6863115b2ebf9ccd4b53521.jpg

Team
    1. Andy Robertson
    2. Jordan Henderson
    3. Joao Cancelo
    4. Zidane

Franco Baresi
    A mainstay in Milans defence for 20 Years.
    gettyimages-1214483.jpg?w=620

My Team so Far.
    Benzema
    Bale
    Thiago
    Baresi

the best striker in the world, without question, for a period.

his volley at Euro 88 is beyond iconic.

strong, quick, clinical.

DentalGoldenEel-max-1mb.gif

in an era where you didn't have social media, he was almost an enigma. you saw what you saw, took it at face value, and acknowledged his greatness when you saw him.

Marco Van Basten

marco-van-basten-netherlands-england-euro-1998_ivn84n5pzmkd1q2mg862hqpc4.jpg?t=-1010666724&w=800&h=600

Team:

De Bruyne
    Busquets
    De Ligt
    Van Basten

• Advertisement

He's France's all-time top scorer with 51 goals.

He was their top scorer in the '98 World Cup and Euro 2000, which they both won. Also voted MOTM 3 times in the latter tournament, including the final versus Italy.

One of the greatest attacking players of all time. He is...

20946248-7664527-image-a-22_1573637875919.jpg

...Thierry Henry.

The opportunity to have him alongside my number 1 pick was too good to resist.

Team so far:

1. Kylian Mbappe
    2. Joshua Kimmich
    3. Lucas Hernandez
    4. Thierry Henry

Xavi

f0e3fb584425c3e3f1ebdd6cf5d9447a_crop_north.jpg?1407263400&w=3072&h=2048

This was a really difficult pick but he is one of three left on my original shortlist for this round.

8 x La Liga titles, 4 x Champions Leagues, 2 x European Championships and 1 x World Cup. He also won player of the tournament at Euro 2008.

Above all his honours, Xavi will go down as the definition of tiki-taka football and was the beating heart of possibly the best club and international side of all time. One of my favourite players of all time as well makes it all the sweeter and I reckon with himself and Kante will compliment one another well.

c57eceb4d10a3032605166ab1d4b543a.jpg

My pick is Michel Platini.

Scorer of 41 goals in 72 games for France from attacking midfield, the man was quite simply a phenomenon. It's why he won 3 Ballon D'Ors.

Fittingly for a Euros Draft competition, Platini's best known for his performance in Euro 84:

A staggering 9 goals scored is a record to this day, despite the expansion of the tournament over time (He did it in 5 games).
    He scored 2 hattricks.
    An extra time winner against Portugal in the semi-finals.
    A goal in the final.
    Top scorer, team of the tournament and player of the tournament.

One of the best players of all time, he'll sit behind Harry Kane and provide goals, creativity, leadership and swagger.

1. Harry Kane
    2. Raphael Varane
    3. Marco Verratti
    4. Michel Platini

While I would like to have picked someone I'd be more familiar with, with an eye to the next round I feel I almost need to take Lothar Mattäus. Germany's most capped player has won both the World Cup and Euros and finished runner up in 2 more world cups. I found it difficult to think of anyone with a better international football CV than him and he will add a lot to the spine of my team.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2020/03/27/why-lothar-matthaus-is-probably-the-most-complete-footballer-in-history/

matthaus.jpg?resize=900%2C650&ssl=1

68 international goals in just 62 games
    Top scorer in the 1970 World Cup with 10 goals.
    UEFA European Championship winner and top scorer 1972
    World Cup winner 1974, scoring the winner in the final

His teammate Franz Beckenbauer said about him "His pace was incredible. In training I have played against him and I never had a chance."

Adding firepower to the side is 'Der Bomber', one of the most clinical finishers of all time.

D0VwSbjU0AUsX7J.jpg

Gerd Muller

I used to watch a lot of Seria A when I was a kid and you always heard how Italians were the best at defending and there were always arguments about which defender was the best from Italy but tbh for me it was always this guy.

My captain
    e7f81abd105711c3dfc4c8ff482dc29c.png

Going to opt for a man who can play centre back or defensive midfield

Regarded by many as one of the top 3 defensive midielders of all time. He can do it all.

Frank Rijkaard

75e03c28804faa08f8cacd66008add46.jpg

Leo Messi

That's it

leo-messi-goal-liverpool-289672.jpeg

Last pick of mine was Maldini... I just can't imagine him and my next pick rolling together

ImpoliteMetallicFluke-size_restricted.gif

Yup Neymar

Going on peak form, this man is a joy to watch.

95 goals in 145 games for Liverpool and 45 in 70 for Egypt.

Adding more pace and goals to my frontline.

Mohamed.Salah-1.jpg

Mo Salah

• Advertisement
Advertisement