Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 40 - things to ask a doctor?

Options
  • 02-06-2021 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post, but please move if needed.

I'm just looking for advice

I suspect that Im like many Irish men, in that I only go to the doctor if theres a near crippling affliction.
    The thing is, my family has a history of Cancer on my dads side, and Heart problems on my mothers.

Now that I'm on the wrong side of 40, I think It would be prudent to make myself better acquainted with my GP to keep an eye on stuff like this.

My query might seem silly - but I'm wondering, what do you ask for in this situation? Is there a blood test that can detect cancer cells, or do you need to wait till you find a lump or something?
    When is a good time to check for diabetes / cholesterol, etc?

My health insurance has free cardiac screening, so I'm going to apply for that once its open - but any advice on things that should be asked about or monitored regularly would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post, but please move if needed.

I'm just looking for advice

I suspect that Im like many Irish men, in that I only go to the doctor if theres a near crippling affliction.
    The thing is, my family has a history of Cancer on my dads side, and Heart problems on my mothers.

Now that I'm on the wrong side of 40, I think It would be prudent to make myself better acquainted with my GP to keep an eye on stuff like this.

My query might seem silly - but I'm wondering, what do you ask for in this situation? Is there a blood test that can detect cancer cells, or do you need to wait till you find a lump or something?
    When is a good time to check for diabetes / cholesterol, etc?

My health insurance has free cardiac screening, so I'm going to apply for that once its open - but any advice on things that should be asked about or monitored regularly would be much appreciated.

I would ask my GP for A1C, lipid profile and inflammatory mark blood test for start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

You could ask the GP for a “well man” check up. Say what you’ve written here - history of cancer in family etc. The GP can then do the relevant physical checks and blood work. The list of checks can depend on what type of cancer is in your family history. For example, my husband’s dad had bowel cancer so all his relatives have regular colonoscopies.

Well done for taking the initiative to see the GP at this stage, a lot of men leave it until they have serious symptoms which can be too late to make any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

markmoto wrote: »
    I would ask my GP for A1C, lipid profile and inflammatory mark blood test for start.

And what do all those test indicate ?
    I usually just get my bloods done every 6 months and am now wondering if I should be getting the aforementioned done also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

milehip wrote: »
    I usually just get my bloods done every 6 months and am now wondering if I should be getting the aforementioned done also.

HbA1c is for blood sugar, lipid profile is for cholesterol and inflammatory markers are fairly non specific unless you have any symptoms. Most doctors do a FBC and U&E as a minimum which checks for a wide range of conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

milehip wrote: »

The A1C test is a blood test that provides information about your average levels of blood glucose, also called blood sugar, over the past 3 months. The A1C test can be used to diagnose type 2 diabetes and prediabetes

Blood tests known as 'inflammatory markers' can detect inflammation in the body, caused by many diseases including infections, auto-immune conditions and cancers. The tests don't identify what's causing the inflammation: it might be as simple as a viral infection, or as serious as cancer.

If get high cholesterol & high inflammation and/or high blood sugar... well not sure this board allow... go back to GP asap

I would do coronary calcium scan as well at that stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement