Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe Messi or Ronnie or Neymar are already on 500k per week after tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe Messi or Ronnie or Neymar are already on 500k per week after tax?

Neymar is on a reported 600k after tax.

So I imagine Messi & Ronnie are on more than that.

Ok, maybe mbappe would be getting close to the mill per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Don't understand this one from PSG. I wouldn't consider the goalkeeper position a problem area for them at all.

I think they do consider it a problem as Navas can be a liability at times, it was one of the reasons Madrid sold him and got Courtois. iirc he was at fault for one of the goals v City in the CL semi, a shot he should have saved but his hands were weak. His distribution isnt on the level of someone like Ederson either. Hes still a top class keeper but Id say the PSG view is if they want to win the CL they need an upgrade to a better one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Didn't think that a RWB would be a priority signing for Chelsea, especially at the reported €60m - €80m pricetag, when they already have a young homegrown player in Reece James and club captain Azpilcueta playing in that position

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1402383362954780676?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ah hes a super player though and can play in multiple positions. Az us coming to the end of his time also and also plays multiple positions, James has been good though without doubt, just shows you the ambition Chelsea I suppose.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Ah hes a super player though and can play in multiple positions. Az us coming to the end of his time also and also plays multiple positions, James has been good though without doubt, just shows you the ambition Chelsea I suppose.

I'd say it's more Chelsea making the most of their advantages more than having higher ambitions. Chelsea & City really flexed their financial muscles in 2020 and can do so again this summer while other clubs are recovering from COVID. Direct investment clubs will really prosper again this summer.

Fitz* wrote: »
    I'd say it's more Chelsea making the most of their advantages more than having higher ambitions. Chelsea & City really flexed their financial muscles in 2020 and can do so again this summer while other clubs are recovering from COVID. Direct investment clubs will really prosper again this summer.

You don't think they have lofty ambitions?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

They do, but I don't think that they necessarily have more ambitions than a lot of other clubs of a similar level. They just have more resources which allow them to reach those ambitions in a much easier fashion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Advertisement

A fresh set of demands like a need to sign half a team of decent players since there is only about 12 contracted players at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I wonder why Nuno left Wolves if the sorts of jobs he would be going to would be bloody Palace

I wonder why Nuno left Wolves if the sorts of jobs he would be going to would be bloody Palace

By all accounts he was going to be fired and got there before them by resigning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

By all accounts he was going to be fired and got there before them by resigning.

Thats even stranger

I get the feeling Wolves were strong due to the sum of the parts that included Nuno, he was seriously hampered by losing Jota late in the window and Jimenez to injury, as well as Jonny Otto all season

I wouldnt be surprised to see them in the same place next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Really?

Sounds like a Club getting ahead of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I thought Chelsea's ambitions are to own all the players? They seem to have more in their squad /on loan than the rest of the league combined. Thankfully they keep letting the wrong ones leave early (De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku etc.)

Bruno Lage the new Wolves manager/Head coach.

https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/1402551039337902080?s=20

More managers than players moving this summer.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1402576034533462019?s=20

Spurs in talks with Paulo Fonseca tonight to be the new manager.

Spurs in talks with Paulo Fonseca tonight to be the new manager.

Wasn't he sacked from Roma so that Mourinho could take over?

This has a very Alan Curbishley & Alan Pardew ring to things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Wasn't he sacked from Roma so that Mourinho could take over?

This has a very Alan Curbishley & Alan Pardew ring to things.

Won a few trophies with Shaktar and in Portugal but not the kind of signing that will convince Kane and the like to stick around. A little underwhelming but a crazy amount of managers on the move this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,991 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I'd love to see it to be honest. Think it would be a great move for everyone involved. Be great for him to be back with his family full time, and with everything he and his wife have done for the city and for the JFT96 campaign over the years I can't imagine he'd get too much vitriol from either sets of fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sacking Jose for not being good enough, and then replacing him with the guy that Roma thought worse than Jose isn't great planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-make-first-official-24288898

"Man U agree personal terms with Sancho, then bid €70m, far below Dortmunds valaation of €90m+"

Is that not tapping up? Is it not frowned upon anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

retalivity wrote:
    "Man U agree personal terms with Sancho, then bid €70m, far below Dortmunds valaation of €90m+"

retalivity wrote:

Sure Haaland was flying around meeting clubs during the season with his agent, Dortmund dont seem to care as long as they get the fee they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

retalivity wrote: »
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-make-first-official-24288898

I thought tapping up only applied in England. Lfc got a smack on the bum when Klopp met up with VVD but Barca and the like have been doing it for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tapping up is a load of ****e, all the business is done through the agents behind the clubs back anyway. Clubs don't bid for players if they aren't sure the player will sign for them. Players meeting managers directly is a bit brazen, but any clubs that complain about "tapping up" is guilty of doing the same.

Barca go beyond tapping up, its orchestrated media campaigns by current players, former players to get the player to the club.

Ange Postecoglou joins Celtic as there new manager the Greek has left Japan after winning the J League with Yokohama F. Marinos.

He also won the Australian A League 10 years ago with Brisbane Roar

• Advertisement

Ange Postecoglou joins Celtic as there new manager the Greek has left Japan after winning the J League with Yokohama F. Marinos.

He also won the Australian A League 10 years ago with Brisbane Roar
    Greek born, but Australian by all accounts. He also managed Australia to the AFC Cup in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Gini opts for PSG over Barca, PSG offer double what Barca offered in wages

Still some money in the French league.

Marseille sign Gerson from Flamengo for €20m he had 3 seasons at Roma and was on loan at Fiorentina before returning to Flamengo on a permeant deal last season.

There could be some potentially good transfers picked up from Ligue 1 if the clubs are in some financial difficulty. This TV deal is not great for the clubs and may set them back a bit.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1403288310349500417

There could be some potentially good transfers picked up from Ligue 1 if the clubs are in some financial difficulty. This TV deal is not great for the clubs and may set them back a bit.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1403288310349500417

Amazon have just signed a deal to stream games for 3 years so that will be a boost to clubs.

They will show 302 games live a season which is 80% of games and it's worth €250m a year to Ligue 1

That brings the TV and Streaming money up to €1b a season.

• Advertisement

Nuno in advanced talks with Everton.

That might his reason for dropping the talks with Palace.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/11/everton-in-advanced-talks-with-nuno-over-replacing-ancelotti-as-manager

Paulo Fonseca is set to sign a 3 year deal to become the new Spurs manager.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/14/paulo-fonseca-agrees-to-become-the-new-manager-of-tottenham-hotspur

Is he a big enough name to keep Kane at Spurs?

Paulo Fonseca is set to sign a 3 year deal to become the new Spurs manager.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/14/paulo-fonseca-agrees-to-become-the-new-manager-of-tottenham-hotspur

Is he a big enough name to keep Kane at Spurs?

No.

The price Daniel Levy will demand for a player with 3 years still left on his contract is the reason Kane will stay at Spurs next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,736 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Kane is 28 next month.

£100m would be enough to get him? Peanuts for City, and affordable to Utd I'd assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭adaminho

Looks like an ice hockey goalie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

6 wrote: »
    Kane is 28 next month.

£100m would be enough to get him? Peanuts for City, and affordable to Utd I'd assume.

City could spend it, but never have previously. I guess they will hit that level of transfer eventually.

United could afford it, but not without basically ignoring other key areas of concern and without address those other areas I don't know that Kane would fancy going to United to see other sides win trophies just as he has at Spurs. If he goes, surely he goes somewhere his is nearly certain to be winning trophies. Be that City, PSG, Real Madrid, Juve?

United with Kane would be a better side than they are now, but would still be without an actual right winger, a top defensive midfielder and arguably lacking quality at CB beyond Maguire.

City could spend it, but never have previously. I guess they will hit that level of transfer eventually.

I get the impression that City would prefer to buy 3 x £60m players, rather than 1 x £100m player.

They will get to that milestone eventually but when and who is anyone's guess.

Watching Kane yesterday, not too many teams will be willing to stump up any great sum of cash for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I get the impression that City would prefer to buy 3 x £60m players, rather than 1 x £100m player.

They will get to that milestone eventually but when and who is anyone's guess.

If they don't do it on Haaland or Kane the year Aguero leaves, or Mbappe with a year left on his contract, I'm not sure who would get them to a world record fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If they don't do it on Haaland or Kane the year Aguero leaves, or Mbappe with a year left on his contract, I'm not sure who would get them to a world record fee.

Neither Kane nor Mbappe are gonna be world record fees. The world record is 198 million GBP like. Even Haaland doesn’t go for that. If Mbappe had an actual contract left at PSG, he would.

It's wages where City can top everyone else really the transfer fees they spend in a sense don't really matter as much.

£60 player transfers get paid £100m player wages anyway.

The same would go for Chelsea.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watching Kane yesterday, not too many teams will be willing to stump up any great sum of cash for him.
    Somehow I reckon his 23 goals and 14 assists in the PL last season will have more say on that than a single performance for England (where he's scored 34 in 55).

It's wages where City can top everyone else really the transfer fees they spend in a sense don't really matter as much.

£60 player transfers get paid £100m player wages anyway.

The same would go for Chelsea.

Don't think they have a hugely out of line pay structure do they? Wasn't Liverpool's the highest last year for example rather than city?

Then you have the agent fees as well I suppose, not sure who pays the most in the greasing the wheels market

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement