Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

City cleaning out the squad to make room for the England captain?

Barca in talks with another player available on a free this times it's Donnarumma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Barca in talks with another player available on a free this times it's Donnarumma

Raiola is reportedly looking for €20m for himself from whoever he signs for, I think it's a disgrace that agents can just take that amount of money out of the sport and put absolutely nothing back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

dor83 wrote: »
    Raiola is reportedly looking for €20m for himself from whoever he signs for, I think it's a disgrace that agents can just take that amount of money out of the sport and put absolutely nothing back into it.

More fool the players who hire him! If a club ends up paying an agent €20m, how does the player possibly think that the club won't be taking any of that €20m from what extra they might have paid the player? Or when deals fall through, how does the player not think that it's the agents ridiculous demands that have torpedoed it?

I'm reminded of that player from Lyon (name escapes me now) a few years ago who was all set to join Liverpool but his entourage came back looking for more money for themselves after the deal was agreed, which caused the club to pull out. The vibe in the public domain was that it was concerns over his knee injury, but the inside line was that it was his agent/family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fyfe79 wrote: »
    More fool the players who hire him! If a club ends up paying an agent €20m, how does the player possibly think that the club won't be taking any of that €20m from what extra they might have paid the player? Or when deals fall through, how does the player not think that it's the agents ridiculous demands that have torpedoed it?

I'm reminded of that player from Lyon (name escapes me now) a few years ago who was all set to join Liverpool but his entourage came back looking for more money for themselves after the deal was agreed, which caused the club to pull out. The vibe in the public domain was that it was concerns over his knee injury, but the inside line was that it was his agent/family.

Fekir. Some of these small time agents kill themselves with that nonsense, pulling these stunts without the gravitas behind them they'd need. Aidy Ward was another like that.

Whatever else about Raiola, he does tend to get his players good careers. And he's got so many big players (much like Gestifute do), that he can leverage deals in their favour over the clubs.

Look at Kane now for instance - his wantaway statement is all well and good, and it seems nice and quaint of him to have a family member as an agent, but ultimately he has no power now. If he was with Raiola, you know Raiola would be saying 'let my guy go for a reasonable price, or my players are off limits to you'. When you look through Raiola's list of players, it's hard to see any where he's done a bad job for them - sometimes it sucks for the clubs, but the players themselves seem happy, and are always saying particularly glowing things about him, like Haaland and Ibra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Fekir. Some of these small time agents kill themselves with that nonsense, pulling these stunts without the gravitas behind them they'd need. Aidy Ward was another like that.

Whatever else about Raiola, he does tend to get his players good careers. And he's got so many big players (much like Gestifute do), that he can leverage deals in their favour over the clubs.

Look at Kane now for instance - his wantaway statement is all well and good, and it seems nice and quaint of him to have a family member as an agent, but ultimately he has no power now. If he was with Raiola, you know Raiola would be saying 'let my guy go for a reasonable price, or my players are off limits to you'. When you look through Raiola's list of players, it's hard to see any where he's done a bad job for them - sometimes it sucks for the clubs, but the players themselves seem happy, and are always saying particularly glowing things about him, like Haaland and Ibra.

I think it should be up to the players to pay agents and even at thet it should be limited to a percentage of what the player gets themselves. The problem with teams paying these agent fees is that it means the agent makes most of his money by arranging transfers, the agent should be concerned about getting the best deal for their player rather than getting a big commission for them self.

If Kane was with Raiola then he'd probably have moved a few times already, Raiola is more concerned with the money than where the player actually wants to play imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

pjohnson wrote: »
    Danny Rose released by Tottenham. I thought he retired last year.

Off to Roma with Jose again surely ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dor83 wrote: »
    I think it should be up to the players to pay agents and even at thet it should be limited to a percentage of what the player gets themselves. The problem with teams paying these agent fees is that it means the agent makes most of his money by arranging transfers, the agent should be concerned about getting the best deal for their player rather than getting a big commission for them self.

If Kane was with Raiola then he'd probably have moved a few times already, Raiola is more concerned with the money than where the player actually wants to play imo.

Yeah, it's definitely an industry that needs proper regulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, it's definitely an industry that needs proper regulation.

And I can't understand why clubs aren't kicking up to FIFA over it. Raiola is a cancer

• Advertisement

Aguero confirmed and Barca put a €100m buyout clause in his contract :)

E2vLCicXoAcTWx3?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,033 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Does this count as a transfer? Ancelotti going to Real Madrid

https://twitter.com/marca/status/1399672302040760323

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think thats a good move for them, if Perez gives him time.

Nice to see Aguero getting the Lloyd Christmas haircut into fashion.
    His comments are a bit of a kick in the balls to Man City,
    "We all know that Barcelona are the best club in the world," said Aguero.
    "I think I made a great decision to be here and of course it is a step forward in my career".

Carlo Ancelotti agrees Real Madrid return from Everton on contract to 2024

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/01/carlo-ancelotti-in-line-for-real-madrid-return-manager-if-compensation-agreed-with-everton

Everton have an owner with bottomless pockets that would suit Conte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

https://twitter.com/WatfordFC/status/1399802931369684995

I like this signing. He's good technically, and was on pens at Nantes. Had a few defensive lapses in him at times it must be said but he's young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭This is it

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think thats a good move for them, if Perez gives him time.

Nice to see Aguero getting the Lloyd Christmas haircut into fashion.
    His comments are a bit of a kick in the balls to Man City,
    "We all know that Barcelona are the best club in the world," said Aguero.
    "I think I made a great decision to be here and of course it is a step forward in my career".

Really surprised by that. I thought he wanted to leave and planned on returning home to finish out his playing days, presume that's not the case.

Big fan of Aguero, and I don't know the details, but a pretty ****ty thing to say

• Advertisement

The UAE say they are going to spend big and give Pep what he wants.

Manchester City are ready to spend in summer says chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak
    Manchester City are ready to spend big on a couple of players of quality this summer, says chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak.

In the wake of the club's Champions League final defeat by Chelsea, Khaldoon says City "will be back".

He said "the biggest mistake" would be to rest on their laurels after winning the Premier League.

Speaking through his club's media channels, Khaldoon said the emphasis would be on "quality".

His comments come amid a growing expectation that City are preparing a club record bid for England skipper Harry Kane.

"Having won the league, it is not the time to sit back and be content," said Khaldoon.

"That would be your biggest mistake. This is the time to send a strong message that there is no contentment, that you are not satisfied with just winning the league."

City have space for Kane in Pep Guardiola's squad following the departure of striker Sergio Aguero, one of the club's highest earners.

"Sergio Aguero's shoes are very hard shoes to fill but I am confident we will find the right player to fill those shoes," said Khaldoon.

"There are other areas in the team that need investment. Not too many - it is not about numbers, it is about quality. But we will bring quality into the squad in a couple of key positions."

This summer many of City's Premier League rivals will be attempting to stretch budgets that have been massively impacted by playing virtually a full season without fans.

And there are no guarantees full stadiums will be allowed when the 2021-22 campaign begins on 14 August.

"Our financial balance sheet is strong and we will invest wisely and do what we need to do," said Khaldoon.

"But the market will be difficult as there won't be enough liquidity. There will be movement but it will done in a more creative way."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57324587

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

He's spent £830m on players since he arrived. Might pass the 1 billion mark this summer.

Conte in advanced talks with the Spurs board is being reported this afternoon.

New Director of football to go in a Spurs as well.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1400087726712573960?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,033 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

"Long Term" & "Project" are two words I would not associate with Conte at all. He seems to spit the dummy out every summer regarding signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Please get amazon back for this, Conte vs Levy will be epic.

It says to me though Spurs are trying to keep Kane, Conte would be a very big statement appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Fitz* wrote: »
    "Long Term" & "Project" are two words I would not associate with Conte at all. He seems to spit the dummy out every summer regarding signings.
    To be fair to him he commits everything to the cause and then takes issue with the board of management when they renege on commitments made.

Inter Milan told him that the club have to turn a profit of €80M from player sales this summer and there would be no new signings after he had brought them the league title.

At Chelsea he rarely got the players he wanted. Batshuayi and Morata (over €100M) instead of Lukaku, Luiz and Rudiger instead of Bonucci. Abramovich trusted his advisors and negotiator Marina Granovskaia instead of the manager when it came to deciding transfer targets.

I can't see things being any different for him at Tottenham in terms of wrangling with the board but I would expect him to shake up the squad because he doesn't tolerate primadonna types as Diego Costa learned. Everton could probably give him everything he wants if he in fact wants a real project.

Conte will get his big transfer kitty from the sale of Kane most likely if he takes over at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, cos they have been scrimping on the money up to now.:rolleyes:

Anything to make Pep look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah, cos they have been scrimping on the money up to now.:rolleyes:

Anything to make Pep look good.

Would be weirder if they weren’t trying to make their coach look good though.

Tom Heaton joining Man U on a two year contract with an option if a third year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tom Heaton joining Man U on a two year contract with an option if a third year.

I think that's 5 keepers they have now and pay them £617,000 per week (wages came from Spotrac).

Lee Grant - £30,000
    Tom Heaton - £42,000 (Villa - Would he sign for less at United?)
    Sergio Romero - £70,000
    Dean Henderson - £100,000
    David De Gea - £375,000

Not a lot of value there and if those figures are correct shows how crazy the wage structure is at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think that's 5 keepers they have now and pay them £617,000 per week (wages came from Spotrac).

Lee Grant - £30,000
    Sergio Romero - £70,000
    David De Gea - £375,000

Not a lot of value there and if those figures are correct shows how crazy the wage structure is at United.

Romero and Grants contracts end on June 30th as does Heaton's with Villa.
    So you can't count the 3 of them.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Romero and Grants contracts end on June 30th as does Heaton's with Villa.
    So you can't count the 3 of them.

Ok got you. So up to the end of June United have been paying £575k per week to goalkeepers. That's staggering.

I know Everton tried to sign Romero so why not sell him for a few million, get his wages off the books? Was he even on the bench this season?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lee Grant - £30,000
    Sergio Romero - £70,000
    David De Gea - £375,000

My God, that is unreal money to be paying De Gea, or any body in fairness.
    Thought he would be on half that at best.

de Gea is the highest paid player in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's interesting to see that DDG seems to have gotten a £25k a week pay rise since he signed his new contract that was widely reported at the time to be £350k.

The other thing is that all salaries at Utd are highly incentive based. There's a base salary and the potential of getting to the reported figures through performance related bonuses. Players reportedly take a 25% pay cut if they don't qualify for the CL.

So even if DDG could earn £375k a week, it's unlikely that he's done it too often recently.

The other thing is that all salaries at Utd are highly incentive based. There's a base salary and the potential of getting to the reported figures through performance related bonuses. .

That's the first time I've ever heard that. I don't even remember reading it anywhere.

Do you have a link to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it has a knock on effect as well, you give De Gea 375K and suddenly 20 year old Rashford is on 200K a week

That's the first time I've ever heard that. I don't even remember reading it anywhere.

Do you have a link to it?
    Andy Mitten has mentioned it quite a few times. I'm pretty sure it not unique to United either. Any link would be about as reliable as the links to supposed salaries.

It was the same with the reported wages of Sanchez. He had to meet specific performance targets to get what was being reported.

Andy Mitten has mentioned it quite a few time. I'm pretty sure it not unique to United either.

Like I said I don't ever remember reading that the salaries were incentivised at United but it's definitely possible.

The level of salaries there are ridiculous though. Even squad players like Lingard getting £100k+ and still paying a chunk of Sanchez wages.

Like I said I don't ever remember reading that the salaries were incentivised at United but it's definitely possible.

The level of salaries there are ridiculous though. Even squad players like Lingard getting £100k+ and still paying a chunk of Sanchez wages.
    Oh, there's no doubt that the salaries paid are ridiculous for some pretty average players, but the headline figures should be taken with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

JB-COMP-PL-BIGGEST-WAGE-BILLS.jpg?w=670

i really wish every online article had links to actual source material. read some of the article...19/20 mcT was on £10k per week (allegedly).

JB-COMP-PL-BIGGEST-WAGE-BILLS.jpg?w=670

i really wish every online article had links to actual source material. read some of the article...19/20 mcT was on £10k per week (allegedly).

That's probably right for a lad only after breaking into the team for McTominay though. Didn't he only start getting regular games in 18/19 in Jose last season? He signed a new contract last summer wasn't it?

Liverpool wage bill will be way down this year because there's no bonuses to pay out. In the last set of accounts they filed there was the bonuses for CL, PL, CWC and SC all included.

That's probably right for a lad only after breaking into the team for McTominay though. Didn't he only start getting regular games in 18/19 in Jose last season? He signed a new contract last summer wasn't it?

Liverpool wage bill will be way down this year because there's no bonuses to pay out. In the last set of accounts they filed there was the bonuses for CL, PL, CWC and SC all included.

not sure when he signed it but is defo on more than that.

yeah, bonuses play a huge role, and should play a larger role in fact. decent basic with whopper bonuses if the team wins things.

be interesting to see if utd manage to offload DDG this summer, or even if they want to :pac:

• Advertisement

not sure when he signed it but is defo on more than that.

yeah, bonuses play a huge role, and should play a larger role in fact. decent basic with whopper bonuses if the team wins things.

be interesting to see if utd manage to offload DDG this summer, or even if they want to :pac:

If they do get rid of him they'll probably end up paying a good chunk of his wages anyway.

Maybe when Woodward leaves you'll finally stop renewing everyone's contracts "to protect their value". No one is going to buy Phil Jones Ed, just let him leave.

If they do get rid of him they'll probably end up paying a good chunk of his wages anyway.

Maybe when Woodward leaves you'll finally stop renewing everyone's contracts "to protect their value". No one is going to buy Phil Jones Ed, just let him leave.

he'll get 1 more summer to screw the club. mad that he is staying on till the end of the year.

phil jones will be like a new signing next season. thats why there is no need to sign a centre back. same as lingard, ashley young, rojo and whoever else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Has Lee Grant actually ever played for United? 30k a week for someone to train with and sit on the bench the odd time is mental

retalivity wrote: »
    Has Lee Grant actually ever played for United? 30k a week for someone to train with and sit on the bench the odd time is mental

Cheap player for them and make sure they have enough homegrown players in squad.

City do same with Scott Carson. Chelsea same with Rob Green a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lee Grant - £30,000
    Sergio Romero - £70,000
    David De Gea - £375,000

Are those figures correct??

Fvck me, De Gea,!!! Thats mental! Given his performance level over the last 3 or 4 years too..... that broken fax machine was very expensive!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    My God, that is unreal money to be paying De Gea, or any body in fairness.
    Thought he would be on half that at best.

Not saying he is worth it (it amount is correct) but that was signed when his contract was about to end. By not leaving on a free it saved 50million in a transfer fee for a new keeper before wages.

120K a week and 50million transfer fee works out the same cost over 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Conte in advanced talks with the Spurs board is being reported this afternoon.

New Director of football to go in a Spurs as well.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1400087726712573960?s=20

Would be a good move for Spurs although I'd be amazed if Conte and Levy don't have an acrimonious falling out within 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Contes 1st season he broke numerous records on the way to a PL trophy, that City and Pool have subsequently beaten but the 2nd season, was a disaster.

Few failed transfer targets and the massive fall out with Costa all led to a poor season he was in a sulk for a lot of it and was sacked and then went about taking chelsea to the cleaners in the courts about massive pay offs, even turned down Real in 2019 while the case was ongoing

A very passionate manager but can be pretty abrasive, be fun to see him back in the PL anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Cheap player for them and make sure they have enough homegrown players in squad.

City do same with Scott Carson. Chelsea same with Rob Green a few years back.

Yeah, but surely they could find someone of equal or better quality at a fraction of the wage to be 3rd/4th choice keeper? Grant's highest level was the championship with Derby? Isnt there anyone in the championship they could have gotten at say 10k a week? I'd imagine even Grant would have been happy with that.
    Maybe its my FM head on me, but 30k a week for him seems crazy, his agent did a great job!

Yeah, but surely they could find someone of equal or better quality at a fraction of the wage to be 3rd/4th choice keeper? Grant's highest level was the championship with Derby? Isnt there anyone in the championship they could have gotten at say 10k a week? I'd imagine even Grant would have been happy with that.
    Maybe its my FM head on me, but 30k a week for him seems crazy, his agent did a great job!

Lee Grant played for Stoke in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Meh. I find these discussions about wages generally naff. Premier League doesnt disclose wages a la NBA or NFL.

I mean SportRac reports Grant on 30k which seems a bit high.

But looking at most clubs theres a few players that just look so wrong. The same website also says Nat Phillips (Liverpools 6th choice CB) was on 64k a week. Burnleys 3rd highest paid player is backup left back Erik Pieters (48k), while Dwight McNeil is the lowest paid at 5k.
    Newcastles Emil Krafth earns 57k, Sean Longstaff 1k, West Ham captain Declan Rice is apparently on 3k a week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement