Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Go find me a billionaire that could afford united thats a good guy

I will have to have a think.
    Branson did basically screw over a lot of people in his time, basically took all the money and rewards from others peoples work, not someone you want owing the club.

Branson did basically screw over a lot of people in his time, basically took all the money and rewards from others peoples work, not someone you want owing the club.

You don't make billions being a philanthropist I'd say you'll.be thinking a while

You've just described basically anyone who is going to be in a position to spend £3bn+ on a football club.

In terms of prospective buyers and their misdeeds, I'd be surprised and even just content to keep "war crimes/genocide" off the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Gosh how I wish the Stripe brothers were Man Utd fans and willing to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Feel bad for Ole.

He even referred to it as speculation when asked yesterday. Clearly didn’t know much if all about it. Woodward previously denied it claiming he was working towards CL 2024 changes.

How Ole responds will be a huge thing for how he’s remembered by the club. I know managers involved are in a tough spot but if he was to come out against it he’d certainly go up in many peoples books.

Genuinely don't think he knew much about this at all, and only learned of the idea of some announcement a few hours before kick off yesterday. There seemed to be no consultation or even any real communication to the staff of the clubs. Klopp confirmed as much for Liverpool tonight.

People can question Ole as a manager, but he absolutely respects the history and tradition of United. He knows what the club means to people. I hope he understands that as a club legend, he has the power to come out and authority to say he is against the idea.

Also hoping that Maguire as captain, Bruno as the leader of the dressing room and Rashford as a person of integrity also come out oppose it. They don't need to speak as openly as Gary Neville, but they must make their position known.

The heat needs to be at the Glazers door. They are the issue. They are the ringleaders.

• Advertisement

Pipmae wrote: »
    Gosh how I wish the Stripe brothers were Man Utd fans and willing to buy.

That is actually a perfect exception to my 'rule'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod Reminder: please be mindful not to offer abusive comments.

The frustration is clear and understandable but we can still offer posts that reflect our views that are in line with the forum charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

v3ttel wrote: »
    Genuinely don't think he knew much about this at all, and only learned of the idea of some announcement a few hours before kick off yesterday. There seemed to be no consultation or even any real communication to the staff of the clubs. Klopp confirmed as much for Liverpool tonight.

People can question Ole as a manager, but he absolutely respects the history and tradition of United. He knows what the club means to people. I hope he understands that as a club legend, he has the power to come out and authority to say he is against the idea.

Also hoping that Maguire as captain, Bruno as the leader of the dressing room and Rashford as a person of integrity also come out oppose it. They don't need to speak as openly as Gary Neville, but they must make their position known.

The heat needs to be at the Glazers door. They are the issue. They are the ringleaders.

think bruno will be kept away from media duties...

Bruno Fernandes has become the first footballer directly involved in the Super League to break his silence on the controversial breakaway competition.

Podence's post reads: "The ball. The song. The dream. The Zidane's volley... Kaka's solo... Liverpool in Athens... Ole in Barcelona... Cris and Seedorf... There some (sic) things we just can't really pay for."

Responding to the post, Fernandes replied: "Enorme (enormous)."

The Red Devils star later shared the post to his own Instagram Story, and included the text: "Dreams can't be [bought]," alongside clapping emojis.

he didnt lambast the idea, but id say he hates it and could easily pop off in a post game interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,007 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

think bruno will be kept away from media duties...

Bruno Fernandes has become the first footballer directly involved in the Super League to break his silence on the controversial breakaway competition.

Podence's post reads: "The ball. The song. The dream. The Zidane's volley... Kaka's solo... Liverpool in Athens... Ole in Barcelona... Cris and Seedorf... There some (sic) things we just can't really pay for."

Responding to the post, Fernandes replied: "Enorme (enormous)."

The Red Devils star later shared the post to his own Instagram Story, and included the text: "Dreams can't be [bought]," alongside clapping emojis.

he didnt lambast the idea, but id say he hates it and could easily pop off in a post game interview

I'd say every player hates it really... they've all grown up dreaming of stepping onto the Champions League stage, hearing that music, and maybe - maybe - even going all the way.

It has been very effectively built up as the absolute pinnacle of club football over decades, and that's going to be very hard to shake off for players. Mentally and emotionally I'd imagine this new thing feels a lot more like the International Champions Cup preseason tourney. You're in it because of the huge money it gives you, but it doesn't mean anything to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

Dunno if this was said, but hopefully this puts the glazers
    off and they sell up and fcuk off!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4034017929954412&id=148788988477345

Share value in the club took a hike after the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I wonder what will happen when these ESL games actually take place. Will fans try to disrupt them? It would be a fairly easy thing to arrange like stopping traffic, pitch invasions etc. Do they really think fans are going to take this lying down?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen when these ESL games actually take place. Will fans try to disrupt them? It would be a fairly easy thing to arrange like stopping traffic, pitch invasions etc. Do they really think fans are going to take this lying down?

Really hope so.
    An ESL game should never be allowed to be played at OT.
    Never have a better opportunity to get rid of the glaziers and Woodward if that is what supporters really want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The sad thing is the Glazers will be last to pull the plug on this if it goes pear shaped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

(Bloomberg) --UEFA is in discussions with Centricus Asset Management over a 6 billion-euro ($7.2 billion) financing package to overhaul its flagship soccer tournament and stop plans for a new breakaway Super League, according to people familiar with the matter. The Switzerland-based sporting body is working with Centricus on a plan to fund a new-look UEFA Champions League tournament, the people said, asking not to be identified discussing confidential information.

It looks like UEFA are creating a war-chest to quell the rebellion. I do think that’s the most likely outcome, i.e. the clubs just get a lot more out of UEFA.

I don't care really how this is resolved or not. But one thing is clear, the Glaziers are one of the main characters behind this greed fest and cannot be allowed to stay in the league as owners.
    I would take any sanctions gladly to be rid of these.
    Even if the ESL falls through things will never be the same at United.
    Hopefully the premier league meeting today will show they have the balls to stand up to these leeches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,902 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

(Bloomberg) --UEFA is in discussions with Centricus Asset Management over a 6 billion-euro ($7.2 billion) financing package to overhaul its flagship soccer tournament and stop plans for a new breakaway Super League, according to people familiar with the matter. The Switzerland-based sporting body is working with Centricus on a plan to fund a new-look UEFA Champions League tournament, the people said, asking not to be identified discussing confidential information.

It looks like UEFA are creating a war-chest to quell the rebellion. I do think that’s the most likely outcome, i.e. the clubs just get a lot more out of UEFA.

The thing there is the same as JP Morgan backing the Super League is that asset management company will want to be making huge profits if they are going to be fronting billions.

The clubs will want to make hundreds of millions.

Then the broadcasters will want to make huge profits.

It’s us the fans who will get screwed no matter who wins because we will be the ones paying for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Being reported this morning that two clubs are having second thoughts

Don't think Utd will be one of them, I would be very surprised if it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't care really how this is resolved or not. But one thing is clear, the Glaziers are one of the main characters behind this greed fest and cannot be allowed to stay in the league as owners.
    I would take any sanctions gladly to be rid of these.
    Even if the ESL falls through things will never be the same at United.
    Hopefully the premier league meeting today will show they have the balls to stand up to these leeches.
    What i find hilarious, is that 15 years ago Ed Woodward and Malcolm Glazer completed a JP Morgan funded LBO which turned United upside down and it was allowed by the PL and we were all told that thats just business and to suck it up. The club became a meme and rival fans laughed. 15 years later, a consortium lead by Woodward, the Glazers and funded by JP Morgan is about to turn all of football on its head at the highest level. And now everyone gives a ****. 3 decades of greed and allowing disgraceful figures into the sport have lead to this and somehow we are all shocked and appalled now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Really hope so.
    An ESL game should never be allowed to be played at OT.
    Never have a better opportunity to get rid of the glaziers and Woodward if that is what supporters really want.

This stance is what they want.

They'd love to take United on the road to play games in Asia, Qatar, USA.....

United are fudged until the Glazers exit... which will only happen if the ruin the club first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What i find hilarious, is that 15 years ago Ed Woodward and Malcolm Glazer completed a JP Morgan funded LBO which turned United upside down and it was allowed by the PL and we were all told that thats just business and to suck it up. The club became a meme and rival fans laughed. 15 years later, a consortium lead by Woodward, the Glazers and funded by JP Morgan is about to turn all of football on its head at the highest level. And now everyone gives a ****. 3 decades of greed and allowing disgraceful figures into the sport have lead to this and somehow we are all shocked and appalled now.

Yeh, the sport has allowed this happen and in many ways uefa, the EPL and sky are getting what’s been coming to them.

At this stage I’d be delighted if it fell apart, the club value tanked, they got relegated and football reinvented itself for the better.

I don’t see that happening, I can see the super league starting in august and things change progressively over the years.

In 15 years time games will have 6 quarters because young peoples attention span can’t last 45 minutes. Teams home ground will rotate around the world because it will of been reclassified “the world super league” and like it’s not fair to limit where the teams play...

I don’t think some people realise, this is going to follow whatever whims the billionaires want and if the data shows young people want more cowbell, the players will end up playing with cowbells on their boots. They won’t be stupid but nothing will be sacred , nothing in the sport will not be on the table for the chop. Think USA 94 by a thousand. No draws allowed. Widen goals in xtra time, oh they are gonna do whatever they want with the sport now that they have restless control.

The thing there is the same as JP Morgan backing the Super League is that asset management company will want to be making huge profits if they are going to be fronting billions.

The clubs will want to make hundreds of millions.

Then the broadcasters will want to make huge profits.

It’s us the fans who will get screwed no matter who wins because we will be the ones paying for it all.

United are Predator, UEFA are the Aliens.... we are the weak humans....

Who ever wins.... we, the fans, lose

Lots of fans were shocked and disgusted, but some chose to complain about the songs sang about Woodward and glaziers at games and being outraged at a crowd outside his house that I think was fairly staged. Alot of people knew what damage they were doing to the club but still some would stay quiet and rather complain about a certain section of supporters who knew the truth.
    Perhaps the people who were staying silent have finally realized what a complete crowd of scumbags are running our club. If I was on that board I would be very worried as i fear this is not going to end well.

Lots of fans were shocked and disgusted, but some chose to complain about the songs sang about Woodward and glaziers at games and being outraged at a crowd outside his house that I think was fairly staged. Alot of people knew what damage they were doing to the club but still some would stay quiet and rather complain about a certain section of supporters who knew the truth.
    Perhaps the people who were staying silent have finally realized what a complete crowd of scumbags are running our club. If I was on that board I would be very worried as i fear this is not going to end well.

But its not just the fans. Where the **** were the PL and UEFA when they were allowing owners like this to complete leveraged buy outs of football clubs and saddle them with debt? Where were they when middle east and Russian oil money started flooding in and no longer operating clubs as a going concern? The impact of all of this was rippling through the leagues and now we are all shocked that they are taking it to the next step. They got into bed with these guys, held the door open for them gladly and are now saddened that they turned out to be the greedy scumbags we all knew they were. Just now its impacting more than just the fans so we care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,966 ✭✭✭billyhead

If there needs to be 20 teams for this to work where are the other 8 teams coming from? The Germans can't join up due to their ownership structure/model.

But its not just the fans. Where the **** were the PL and UEFA when they were allowing owners like this to complete leveraged buy outs of football clubs and saddle them with debt? Where were they when middle east and Russian oil money started flooding in and no longer operating clubs as a going concern? The impact of all of this was rippling through the leagues and now we are all shocked that they are taking it to the next step. They got into bed with these guys, held the door open for them gladly and are now saddened that they turned out to be the greedy scumbags we all knew they were. Just now its impacting more than just the fans so we care.

Brown envelopes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

billyhead wrote: »
    If there needs to be 20 teams for this to work where are the other 8 teams coming from? The Germans can't join up due to their ownership structure/model.

been saying this since it was announced - with the backlash that has understandably followed, I just can't see where they get the other 8 sides from.

I think this thing is doomed to failure, and it is just a matter of how much United and the rest are willing to cost themselves before they give up and go crawling back to Uefa.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112241270&postcount=447

I got lambasted by some in here because I said while I wouldn’t be part of any violence against Woodward (back in Jan 2019) but I wouldn’t condemn it either. These guys are playing with an institution that is like a religion for some people. They are making a fortune on the backs of fans and ignoring the hardcore base. If they get attacked or worse, it’s their own fault.

• Advertisement

been saying this since it was announced - with the backlash that has understandably followed, I just can't see where they get the other 8 sides from.

I think this thing is doomed to failure, and it is just a matter of how much United and the rest are willing to cost themselves before they give up and go crawling back to Uefa.

Wouldn't it be great if the proposal fell flat on its arse. The Glazers sulked, sold the club and pissed off back to America.

Wouldn't it be great if the proposal fell flat on its arse. The Glazers sulked, sold the club and pissed off back to America.

That is ideal situation for me from a United POV. But then there needs to be institutional changes with every team having an equal right. Collective prosperity with uefa sorting itself out. Even reading that last sentence I don’t see anything changing. Unfortunately absolute power corrupts absolutely, regardless of sport or country etc, it’s inevitable. We needed the FBI to clear out some of the rot in FIFA, there always gonna be dodgy f*cks running the show as these positions attract power hungry parasites. Like politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

PSG can't join as they've hitched their wagon to FIFA with the 2022 world cup.
    Have the other big French clubs come out against it (Lyon & Marseilles)? Ajax have ruled themselves out now.

Other options would be maybe Spartak, Galatasary (big clubs in huge football markets). More Spanish and Italian clubs - Sevilla, Roma possibly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Drumpot wrote: »

I got lambasted by some in here because I said while I wouldn’t be part of any violence against Woodward (back in Jan 2019) but I wouldn’t condemn it either. These guys are playing with an institution that is like a religion for some people. They are making a fortune on the backs of fans and ignoring the hardcore base. If they get attacked or worse, it’s their own fault.

Ah come on. What they’re doing is wrong, but that’s mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It seems so ill thought out. To announce as 12 seeking another 3 founders and 5 rotating members. To be publicly wooing 3 clubs into joining.

It has to just be brinkmanship and they're pushing for something very specific from UEFA.

If they really wanted this to be reality, announcing before they have all their ducks in a row is madness.

Surely something else is at play here that we're not privy to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

loyatemu wrote: »
    Have the other big French clubs come out against it (Lyon & Marseilles)? Ajax have ruled themselves out now.

Other options would be maybe Spartak, Galatasary (big clubs in huge football markets). More Spanish and Italian clubs - Sevilla, Roma possibly?

I haven't seen any mention of Porto, they've actually won it twice and are regulars in the quarter finals though success in the competition does not seem to be a factor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It seems so ill thought out. To announce as 12 seeking another 3 founders and 5 rotating members. To be publicly wooing 3 clubs into joining.

It has to just be brinkmanship and they're pushing for something very specific from UEFA.

If they really wanted this to be reality, announcing before they have all their ducks in a row is madness.

that is whagt i keep coming back to - there has to be something we are missing because what has been done so far is insanity.

They are nowhere close to being in a position to do this.

Missing 3 founders - difficult.
    Missing 5 qualifiers - impossible.

What on earth are they at?

Listening to carra and Neville Last night telling people it was up to the fans to stop this. My immediate thoughts were that this is going to get messy.
    As you rightly said they have no one to blame but themselves, they knew what kind of backlash they would get but profits and money are more important than the club or supporters.

Ed's handling of the Felliani deal and Sancho deals gives me hope that hes not the shrew negotiator he thinks he is.

loyatemu wrote: »

Porto @ Benfica perhaps? This ESL is just to appeal to the Chinese and India masses. They don't give a toss about history or tradition. Theseso called fans want to see the best compete against one another on a weekly basis not United v Fulham for example. If this goes ahead the heart and soul of football is gone and a lot of clubs will go bankrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Agreed, I remember that Drumpot and again when it was brought up again in Jan 2020 when there were more anti Glazer/Woodward songs - The Bonfire Song included.

Effectively they have stolen a club from fans that has been in existence since 1878, used it for their own profit, tried to make more money for themselves with the SL, leeching from the club that fans have supported emotionally, financially since many were young and never once consulted fans and in this instance even the staff and players.

If someone steals something from you, you won't take it lying down. At this stage were something to happen to the Glazers or Woodward, I wouldn't give a fúck. That goes for themselves, their property, whatever. It might be the only way they'll listen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[Mike Keegan] I understand that Harry Maguire confronted Ed Woodward at the meeting over the players (who went out and played on Sky as the news broke) not knowing about the plans. Fair play to the United captain.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    [Mike Keegan] I understand that Harry Maguire confronted Ed Woodward at the meeting over the players (who went out and played on Sky as the news broke) not knowing about the plans. Fair play to the United captain.

I never wanna hear another bad word said about our Harry ever again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I never wanna hear another bad word said about our Harry ever again.

Bruno yesterday, Maguire today. And I feel we're the only team who are "leaking" that the players are frustrated by this too.

Last night from Klopp and Milner was a good start, but more players need to be vocal if they have any shred of morals.

Milner, hes in a good position to speak out as hes probably at the end of his career anyway.

But Klopp, and high profile players need to speak out if they believe this is wrong. And if they dont believe its wrong, surely they are just as greedy as everyone else.

The high profile players, like KDB, Bruno, Maguire, Kane, Mane, Salah, Rashford, Bale, Loris, ... High profile managers like Pep, Klopp, Zidane, Conte, they need to either support the fans or in my eyes, they are as greedy as everyone of those owners.

These high profile figures, are in a hugely influential position to take a stand against this, and vote with their feet about which teams to represent.

I feel for the players, they didnt ask for this, but we are where we are. I also wonder if the ESL clubs are breaching the terms of their contracts with the players, assuming that this can be settled with an uplift in salary. If that’s so – and it’s big if, but not an unlikely one – then if they decide they’re doing well enough already, the clubs have a potentially insurmountable problem.

These high profile players are earn bucket loads already, time will tell if some are greedy for more.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Last night from Klopp and Milner was a good start, but more players need to be vocal if they have any shred of morals.

Milner, hes in a good position to speak out as hes probably at the end of his career anyway.

But Klopp, and high profile players need to speak out if they believe this is wrong. And if they dont believe its wrong, surely they are just as greedy as everyone else.

The high profile players, like KDB, Bruno, Maguire, Kane, Mane, Salah, Rashford, Bale, Loris, ... High profile managers like Pep, Klopp, Zidane, Conte, they need to either support the fans or in my eyes, they are as greedy as everyone of those owners.

These high profile figures, are in a hugely influential position to take a stand against this, and vote with their feet about which teams to represent.

I feel for the players, they didnt ask for this, but we are where we are. I also wonder if the ESL clubs are breaching the terms of their contracts with the players, assuming that this can be settled with an uplift in salary. If that’s so – and it’s big if, but not an unlikely one – then if they decide they’re doing well enough already, the clubs have a potentially insurmountable problem.

These high profile players are earn bucket loads already, time will tell if some are greedy for more.

If we are hoping for players and their agents to decide to rock up at West Ham or Aston Villa next year with a 100k a week haircut to their wages then we are going to be very disappointed. They will take the soup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The players didn't ask for it but the fans didn't either. They will probably have to choose which side they're on eventually and be remembered as vermin or legends. The ESL can't really happen without the best players.

Personally, whether the 12 clubs cave or not I won't be spending another penny on United until there's a change of ownership.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lord TSC wrote: »

It'll be interesting to see what the players/managers come out with now that the whirlwind has passed and the owners of these clubs will have had the chance to get the PR gurus on board.

I hope we see interviews like Klopp, Bamford and Milner from last night but I suspect they will be more measured like Tuchel's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

The majority of fans will subscribe, the absolute majority will and likewise for the majority on here. We will tune in if its the new elite football competition.

Right now I hate the idea of the ESL but if it was to go ahead I cannot say I would be able to resist watching it for long. A few years in and the hate would die down and figures will go up. They know this. The owners and organizers have all the power.

They can take football and totally reshape it. Reshape how it is played and viewed, as depressing as that sounds.

I don't agree at all. Yes it may attract new fans in massive numbers at first but I don't see it lasting. Will people continue to pay to watch Utd v Madrid year after year if its a pointless 8th v 9th game ? Can't see it. I for one will never subscribe to an ESL match, and I'm sure there's plenty others who won't. The whole concept sounds ****e to me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I haven't seen any mention of Porto, they've actually won it twice and are regulars in the quarter finals though success in the competition does not seem to be a factor!

Porto have said they were invited but turned it down.

https://theathletic.com/news/porto-european-super-league-teams/EJxxUYb0b1i1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

that is whagt i keep coming back to - there has to be something we are missing because what has been done so far is insanity.

They are nowhere close to being in a position to do this.

Missing 3 founders - difficult.
    Missing 5 qualifiers - impossible.

What on earth are they at?

I think it was opportunistic. A lot of private money is interested in financing sport. On a smaller scale venture capitalists were/are trying to set up a new golf league away from the existing tours.

In this case football clubs are having a pot of 4billion in advance funding waived at them during a time of reducing revenue.

UEFA planned reform of champions league, to be announced one day after this news broke, did not include a guaranteed cash injection so it looks like they decided to pressure them into a rethink that would include cash and more games.

They want a way to replace lost income and they want it rapid. They want cash to to do up stadiums and or clear existing financial problems of today. They want more games to get more tv money now and more stadium money in the future.

They are pretty up front about it:
    Perez said that the top teams were losing money and that big-name matches would help increase their revenue.
    When you don't have any income other than from television, you have to find a solution to make more attractive matches that fans all over the world can watch with all of the big clubs

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56812151

_118115763_optimised-football_revenue-nc.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement