Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

• 19-04-2021 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Old one here - All the same rules still apply.

Reminders: People don't have to agree. In general if a poster finds themselves constantly at odds with views of others and it might be worth skipping over such posts.

Where posters do engage, please remember to be civil. If you post in a thread ensure you are adding to the debate and not commenting on it's validity. All posters have a responsibility to ensure that they contribute in a positive manner, that does not mean you have to agree with everyone else but you must avoid deliberate disruption of the forum.

Please no abuse https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058153189

Post edited by DM_7 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

New thread, same story.

Fúck the Glazers and Ed Woodward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Protests are useless. The Glazers and others know they can accomplish what they want without homegrown fans.

if anything it will just push them towards international venues, which they already want.

I could see them doing a shock strategy and awe next season. Spend a few quid on players and maybe the stadium to appease some fans who might be on the fence.

Also, keep an eye on United share price, it’s taken a jump Already.

I think some people are thick if they think this is good for the game just because it’s not uefa or FIFA driving it. As always, look the the motive for the change and ask if the majority of fans and the sport will benefit, there’s your answer.

And the award for Best and most relevant first post in a new thread goes to ....
    New thread, same story.

Fúck the Glazers and Ed Woodward.

ea2416c3480a4fd53bdf1116ae05df29.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ESL champs 23/24 lets gooooooo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Lets go mighty Manchester Red Sox!! go team!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

So the Europa league dream is dead ? We have been thrown out ?

Drumpot wrote: »
    And the award for Best and most relevant first post in a new thread goes to ....

ea2416c3480a4fd53bdf1116ae05df29.gif

My only positive of today :D

In all seriousness, I'm seething with this. It's just so greedy. Feels like they are finally stealing the club.

We knew what they were like and hoped they'd eventually fúck off but this may actually kill off the club as we know it. Fans, history, culture, etc all gone.

Pure disrespect to SAF, Matt Busby, Bobby Charlton, the Busby Babes, class of 92, the list goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

CJXYhLZiSKiiGMM-800x800-noPad.jpg?1563756338

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

So the Europa league dream is dead ? We have been thrown out ?

No we haven't, and won't be as it would cost uefa money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I despise all of this for so many reasons.

The idea of a boys club closed competition is a disgrace. Places in an "elite" competition should be earned. Of course the Glazers are the ring leaders, as it removes the one thing that makes them spend money - qualification for the Champions League to guarantee the money it provides.

Reportedly, the winners of the Champions League get €100m. Every founder club gets €300m annually regardless of performance. Imagine the only thing that makes the Glazers invest (missing out on Champions League revenue), is taken away and replaced with a 3x guaranteed payment for winning the entire competition. They let the Tampa Bay Bucs rot as one of the worst in their closed franchised league for nearly 20 years. They didn't even make the playoffs for over a decade.

Games against European teams are supposed to be a big occasion. When United get drawn against Juve or Madrid, it's a massive game as they are two giants and play so rarely. When everything is special, nothing is special.

Why the f*ck are City, Arsenal, Spurs and Atletico in there? A grand total of zero European Cups/Champions League between them. Arsenal are barely in the top half of the Premier League. Spurs have not won the domestic league since 1961. And they're talking about being in a super league? Milan have a great history, but haven't even been in the Champions League for seven years.

It's all sh!tting on the history of so many great clubs, Celtic, Ajax, Benfica, and a slap in the face for all of the fans of the "founding" clubs.

It will need managers, players of those clubs to come out strongly against it. The outcry seems to be so big that, it might actually have caught the Glazers, FGS, off guard. It will require them being hit in the pocket.

The fans, players and staff of the clubs ultimately hold the power if they come together against this. The owners of the club entities/assets do not - they have nothing without fans or elite personnel. I can see that ultimately the Champions League will be reformed to be even more stacked for the "big" clubs than it currently is, and this will all be a power play.

Hopefully it ignites the Love United Hate Glazer movement. I can't post my thoughts about Woodward and the Glazers. It would be a permaban.

• Advertisement

In all seriousness, I'm seething with this. It's just so greedy. Feels like they are finally stealing the club.

We knew what they were like and hoped they'd eventually fúck off but this may actually kill off the club as we know it. Fans, history, culture, etc all gone.

Pure disrespect to SAF, Matt Busby, Bobby Charlton, the Busby Babes, class of 92, the list goes on.

Honestly, I hope I don’t get sucked into the hype, it’s very possible I will but I despise what this represents. I hope they are thrown out of EPL as it will make it easier for me to switch off and stop supporting United. I hope I can rechannel it to real football, not this plastic rip off treating fans as consumers. I know some people will argue it’s already like that but this is next level consumerism. Every act like this erodes the sport further.

While this feels shocking when I think about it, it was inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have zero interest in paying a subscription to Amazon or DAZN or whoever to watch this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Winning the Treble means nothing now.

20 league titles? Who cares.

Its all about coming 8th now in the Super League. Or even 15th. Sure who really cares. Glazers get their money anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Drumpot wrote: »
    I could see them doing a shock strategy and awe next season. Spend a few quid on players and maybe the stadium to appease some fans who might be on the fence.

Yeap. I think all the big clubs will try to start hoovering talent up, and send out PR minions to go, "Look how much we can do now!"

Go, grab Sancho, grab Grealish, grab Rice, grab a striker. Say "we couldn't have done this without the ESL!"

Barca will keep Messi and have money to spend again. Juve can keep Ronaldo without needing to sell him to free up funds. Spurs will go for two or three superstars they never would have attracted otherwise, while nailing Kane down to a massive contract.

They'll want to do a PR run to get fans invested, THEN will start lowering the investments to line their own pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

They stole it years ago, they are just making their getaway now.

Ceferin on the new format of UCL
    This new format supports the status and future of the domestic game throughout Europe. It retains the principle that domestic performance should be the key to qualification and reconfirms the principles of solidarity… and open competition. This evolved format will still keep alive the dream of any team in Europe to participate in the UEFA Champions League thanks to results obtained on the pitch. “It will enable long-term viability, prosperity, and growth for everyone in European football, not just a tiny, self-selected cartel.

Love that last line.

Im not a fan of the new proposals either. Im not mad about the current UCL format too, but I have accepted them and to change them IMO is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It's going to take a monumental effort from football fans, players, managers etc to kill this one. I fear the horse has already bolted with the 'custodians' of United signaling their intentions.

I'd much rather see United get chucked out of the Premier League and made to restart in the lower leagues than see them in this glorified circle jerk.

[Samuel Luckhurst] Senior Manchester United sources believe there are parallels with the "defiance" of Sir Matt Busby and the current regime's support for the Super League

Lord TSC wrote: »
    [Samuel Luckhurst] Senior Manchester United sources believe there are parallels with the "defiance" of Sir Matt Busby and the current regime's support for the Super League

Utterly disgusting comparisons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Busby regime was, "Football is nothing without the fans ".

Woodward and Glaziers regime is. FCUK the fans who needs them.

Disgusting to even compare the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I really hope this completely backfires on them, it's probably our best chance to be rid of the Glazers.

Busby regime was, "Football is nothing without the fans ".

Woodward and Glaziers regime is. FCUK the fans who needs them.

Disgusting to even compare the two.

Unless the ESL is banning fan involvement... the fans can still go.

United (and all the rest) will still want fans filling the stadium. Just instead of participating in the CL (or EL, or neither) they will be competing in the ESL.

I don't like the ESL idea and think it is ultimately doomed to failure, but fans aren't be excluded from going to the matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Matt Busby railed against the parochial views of the FA who didn’t like England’s best testing themselves against Johnny Foreigner.

This on the other hand is a cynical cash grab.

But fans can stop it if they refuse to go to games and refuse to buy this garbage.

PARlance wrote: »
    I really hope this completely backfires on them, it's probably our best chance to be rid of the Glazers.

I can't see how it doesn't backfire against them.

I don't see where the aditional 3 founders are going to come from and I don't see how they can get agreement on how the remaining 5 will qualify - if the Domestic Associations AND Uefa don't ultimately agree to allow them their ESL, those 5 teams can never be found as they won't be able to qualify via domestic leagues and West Ham (for example) won't trade 1 season in the ESL for never being allowed to compete in a Uefa competition should they not qualify for the ESL the following season.

I don't think they are anywhere close to be in a position to push this through, and it will only get further away.

They are going to end up scrapping the idea, with Woodward (and others) having lost their seats at the top tables of Uefa and the clubs having lost their leverage and voice with Uefa.

Unless they have something up their sleeve and there is a different endgame in plan - ie. use this ultimate bluff to force Uefa on something - I just don't understand it. And even if it is part of a bigger plan.... I don't think they are going to get something that was worth this.

United/Woodward have massively lost respect in europe (as have all the others).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,131 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I don't see where the aditional 3 founders are going to come from and I don't see how they can get agreement on how the remaining 5 will qualify - if the Domestic Associations AND Uefa don't ultimately agree to allow them their ESL, those 5 teams can never be found as they won't be able to qualify via domestic leagues and West Ham (for example) won't trade 1 season in the ESL for never being allowed to compete in a Uefa competition should they not qualify for the ESL the following season.

I don't think they are anywhere close to be in a position to push this through, and it will only get further away.

They are going to end up scrapping the idea, with Woodward (and others) having lost their seats at the top tables of Uefa and the clubs having lost their leverage and voice with Uefa.

Unless they have something up their sleeve and there is a different endgame in plan - ie. use this ultimate bluff to force Uefa on something - I just don't understand it. And even if it is part of a bigger plan.... I don't think they are going to get something that was worth this.

I could see the 5 being touring franchises. Inter Miami/Al Saad/Sao Paulo/Guangzhou Evergrande et al.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I could see the 5 being touring franchises. Inter Miami/Al Saad/Sao Paulo/Guangzhou Evergrande et al.

And then FIfa ban them and their players from Fifa comps, as Uefa are threatening to do so. They probably get banned from competing in their regional Champions Leagues too.

Also, we've seen nothing to suggest the plan for the ESL is to have no euro teams in it. Not saying it wouldn't, but the plan put forward so far is 15 founder (Euro) clubs and 5 qualifying (Euro) clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Unless the ESL is banning fan involvement... the fans can still go.

United (and all the rest) will still want fans filling the stadium. Just instead of participating in the CL (or EL, or neither) they will be competing in the ESL.

I don't like the ESL idea and think it is ultimately doomed to failure, but fans aren't be excluded from going to the matches.

My point is that for a long time now the board and owners of Manchester United did not give a toss about supporters of this club. I'm sure they were expecting a backlash but who cares, it's not a club for supporters .its a cash cow for the Glaziers and co.
    What ever happens, I'm finished until the Glaziers and Woodward are gone.

I agree. I believe this is the bluff of all bluffs, and it shall be the ultimate bridge burning exercise in the end. Football will be in tatters and the damage done to these clubs with their fans will be hard to repair.

Utd and Ed appear to be all in, spinning it that they believe that all the negative press is misguided and we are all misunderstanding just how "great" this ESL is for everybody.

Its clear to everyone what this is and its insulting by these ESL clubs to pretend its anything else.

• Advertisement

And then FIfa ban them and their players from Fifa comps, as Uefa are threatening to do so. They probably get banned from competing in their regional Champions Leagues too.

Also, we've seen nothing to suggest the plan for the ESL is to have no euro teams in it. Not saying it wouldn't, but the plan put forward so far is 15 founder (Euro) clubs and 5 qualifying (Euro) clubs.
    Those clubs I mentioned represent the primary markets that the ESL is aimed at. I'd be more amazed if they didnt make an appearance.

[Mirror] Manchester United do not believe the Premier League will have the nerve to ban them and fellow rebel European Super League clubs.

[Daily Mail] Big Six clubs could be blocked from signing foreign players amid push to join new European Super League, with the Government set to step in and deny work permits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What a twist it would be if Boris turned out to be the hero we needed.

[Mirror] Manchester United do not believe the Premier League will have the nerve to ban them and fellow rebel European Super League clubs.

[Daily Mail] Big Six clubs could be blocked from signing foreign players amid push to join new European Super League, with the Government set to step in and deny work permits

Boris is the hero we need, and maybe the one we deserve?

I really think this means the matrix has completely shât itself but ok I can roll with that cmon Boris.

Wonder how they could legally say we would give you a permit to play for Everton, but not for Liverpool. Especially if the clubs remain in the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

When this boils over(hopefully) at least Woodward should be ousted from our club.

• Advertisement

When this boils over(hopefully) at least Woodward should be ousted from our club.

By who? Wont be the fans, we have not the power to do so.

Woodward is not the big bad here, hes just an employee doing his job on behalf of the Glazers.

i've seen whispers he was leaving in the summer.

Conspiracy theory me says he will be the sacrificial lamb when the compomise is reached and the clubs sign up to Uefa and dump the ESL plan.

these are whispers I did not believe, but when I think about how far this ESL plan is from being workable, I have to think there is something at play in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

United are going end up penniless and homeless because of the glazers. Going end up playing games against a team made up of Instagram celebrities and competition winners exclusively at Trump resorts.

PARlance wrote: »

It was going to take something seismic to get rid of them. Hopefully this is it.

Though I fear it's just going to end up with a reformatting Champions League which panders even more to top clubs.

It's not only pitting these clubs against other clubs, these clubs against all of the football governing bodies, but it's also pitting a handful of individuals against the worldwide football community.

They may win some of those battles but they would ultimately lose if people need to stay away, not subscribe, not engage. Millions of fans, players & staff would have to disown their clubs to really stop this. The owners are betting against that happening. There is no money if people don't attend, watch, or buy merchandise.

v3ttel wrote: »
    It was going to take something seismic to get rid of them. Hopefully this is it.

Though I fear it's just going to end up with a reformatting Champions League which panders even more to top clubs.

It's not only pitting these clubs against other clubs, these clubs against all of the football governing bodies, but it's also pitting a handful of individuals against the worldwide football community.

They may win some of those battles but they would ultimately lose if people need to stay away, not subscribe, not engage. Millions of fans, players & staff would have to disown their clubs to really stop this. The owners are betting against that happening. There is no money if people don't attend, watch, or buy merchandise.
    Uefa have already negotiated (and agreed) the next itteration of the CL. I can't see them bending over backwards at this point - though they could cause of the money involved....

Its an absolute mess of a situation.

• Advertisement

Manchester United’s stockmarket value up over $250 million on announcement of the European Franchise League.

Rich getting richer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭KH25

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Manchester United’s stockmarket value up over $250 million on announcement of the European Franchise League.

Rich getting richer

Just what the Glazers want. That’ll pay for a few new kitchens.

KH25 wrote: »
    Just what the Glazers want. That’ll pay for a few new kitchens.

If they sell more shares or take out a loan using United as equity. Unless they cash out in some way, they haven't made more money on United yet.

It also makes me wonder if this is why the Glazers have stuck around. If this does go ahead they could potentially sell up for a lot more than the 3billion or so they could have sold for up to recently (going by speculation).

I can't see why else they are sticking around. they will never get more in dividends than they could get by selling. If money is their only motivation, and it has to be, then selling rather than holding makes sense.

currently they take out about 20million a year. Selling for 4billion (for example) would be the equivient of increasing the dividend 5 fold ever year for the next 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Wishful thinking on my half but is there any potential this kicks them on to finally look to correct the system?

Any possibility of incorporating the 50+1 approach German clubs run with? Would that have helped in this scenario? Not knowledgeable enough to know, correlation doesn’t mean causation but surely Bayern and Dortmund would have been asked about the Super League. Maybe their clubs just have more sense and it’s not linked to the 50+1 rule.

I’m naive I know. I’m hoping this finally pushes them towards addressing the overall issues of wealth in football. A boy can dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Wishful thinking on my half but is there any potential this kicks them on to finally look to correct the system?

Any possibility of incorporating the 50+1 approach German clubs run with? Would that have helped in this scenario? Not knowledgeable enough to know, correlation doesn’t mean causation but surely Bayern and Dortmund would have been asked about the Super League. Maybe their clubs just have more sense and it’s not linked to the 50+1 rule.

I’m naive I know. I’m hoping this finally pushes them towards addressing the overall issues of wealth in football. A boy can dream.

Ah look. Wealth is a key part of football. Clubs like United have been leveraging their fans and associated income for years for the benefit of the club's and owners. Even in Germany you have a few clubs far better resourced than others despite the ownership models.
    Football is literally big business.
    This is a great article on it:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56800611
    Hard to see why owners and ultimately fans desire their club to be as rich as possible

Uefa have already negotiated (and agreed) the next itteration of the CL. I can't see them bending over backwards at this point - though they could cause of the money involved....

Its an absolute mess of a situation.

Agreed, it's a cluster.

I absolutely hope you are correct about UEFA. It needs to be stamped on by FIFA, UEFA, the leagues and the FAs. Even if they sit down to negotiate, then the power grab will have worked. The proposal on the reform of the existing Champions League was bad enough as it was with a "safety net" for clubs who underperform. Underperform and you shouldn't be in it - it's for the best teams.

Hopefully they have been outraged enough by this that they will not even come to the table with the clubs. Block them and their players from competing in competitions under their jurisdiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Adamocovic wrote: »

This I do not get most of the clubs are privately owned businesses (a majority owned outside of the UK) the UK government have left it far too late to force this in. There is no way they can force any business to be 50+1 fan owned unless they nationalised every single club and that is never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

He was thrown to the press and the players rightly should be annoyed about not being clued in.

No shock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

kippy wrote: »
    Ah look. Wealth is a key part of football. Clubs like United have been leveraging their fans and associated income for years for the benefit of the club's and owners. Even in Germany you have a few clubs far better resourced than others despite the ownership models.
    Football is literally big business.
    This is a great article on it:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56800611
    Hard to see why owners and ultimately fans desire their club to be as rich as possible

I probably should have been clear.

Obviously will always be wealth and it is needed.

I was more so about how to gap between the clubs just keeps growing. The discrepancies between the two.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement