Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I think a key to how I feel about this is if we find out if Bielsa decided not to strengthen in January or if he was denied by Radz. Either way, the man is responsible for reviving my love of the club and football in general. MOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A great pity if true and not necessarily the right thing at this stage of the season but this is the end of an era anyway in summer. He has brought a lot of joy and a wonderful brand of football. His system requires all the cogs to be there and you see just how vital the missing pair are in the team, a fact not helped at all by the juggling of resources to fill positions on the pitch. Still looking at some returns from the next few games but if that doesn't happen could be the third worst team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭event

It's rare that we all feel like this. The majority of our managers in the last 10 years, we never really liked them maybe with the exception of Redders & McDermott (for me anyway)

Warnock, McDermott, Hockaday, Milanic, Redfearn, Rosler, Evans, Monk, Christiansen, Heckingbottom.

They either werent good enough or didnt care enough. He's our longest serving manager since Wilko and the 8th longest in our history. If a new manager comes in and if he keeps us up, I really hope people dont use that as ammunition against Bielsa, as if to run him down. Things have unravelled recently (I think he will/would keep us up) but I can see why they want to make the change.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I really don’t know how to express how I feel. That man has done more to make me proud of this club than most have in the last 50 years. I fully expected us to go back down last year, but seeing win us at the Etihad, going full tilt at OT 6-2 down, Lineker, Sheared, Murphy and co loving us,4-3 to Liverpool, even the draws at the back end of the season, made me think we could stay up and do it again.

Yes injuries, but brilliant coaches have to be able to change. They have to go to the board and say we need a defensive coach, or Meslier could do with a goalkeeping coach. It would be terrible to think that his legacy would be tainted by this, because he couldn’t or wouldn’t change. I think I’d cope better with going down than sacking that man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It’s sad that it’s ending like this. I wish we were more comfortable and could hold on for the rest of the season and let him off in summer but we’re not in that situation unfortunately.

Some of the discourse online about anyone who questions Bielsa is frustrating tbh. A lot of nonsense about “real fans wouldn’t want him gone”. He’s been here longer than any other club and both parties can look back on the period fondly. Making a change doesn’t mean we can’t remember Bielsa lovingly and remember what he’s done for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Well, they sacked him officially

"Leeds United will aim to make an announcement on a new appointment tomorrow."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Devastated.

If MB paid all his backroom staff as well, the new manager is going to start the whole lot from scratch. Not getting a good feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Shocked with that, can't believe it was a sacking. This smells of the Americans all over its going to end in tears

• Advertisement

Yeah I think loads havent considered this. If they havent kept on anyone, the players coming in tomorrow wont recognize any of the backroom staff at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

All the best Mr. Bielsa and thanks for everything. I'll take relegation but it would break my heart if you ended up at THAT club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It was going to end in tears anyway. Leicester, Villa and Norwich would have considered their upcoming Leeds matches as a bit of respite and an easy three points. Hopefully Marsch will organize a decent structure at the back and dispense with the man marking system that was killing us. We are still in trouble, but at least a new set of eyes might make a difference and might give us hope.

Sad to see Bielsa go, but he was out of ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭xlogo

Sad day.

I guess Ted Lasso will officially appointed tomorrow.

Bamford put it best.... 

Thank you💙the man who changed everything for everyone

I'd rather they get relegated in a blaze of glory than keep things tight and try to nick something and only maybe stay up cos otherwise it'd all be in vein. Bielsa lessened the business side of football, he made it exciting and enjoyable just to watch the game again.

Feel sorry for Marsch, if he keeps them up well Bielsa wasn't given the opportunity with the returning players. If they still go down, then the appointment was pointless and the fanbase will completely turn on the owners and him by extension, which would be harsh on him. Of course ill support him, but just not a great feeling on it. It'll be an interesting next game at Elland Road anyway, I've no doubt there's one name that'll be sang right from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Gutted. Spent the pre 11am part of the morning daydreaming about the soothing balm of a win at Leicester next Saturday, but I felt like I was deluding myself. In the end, he was unlucky. Losing Paddy & Kalvin for most of the season didn't help the cause, and even having the rescheduled Liverpool fixture just compounded our rotten month. Anyway, enough of that.

It's been a thrill-ride though. After a half-dozen or so seasons that were different shades of meh, I lost a lot of emotional investment in the club. That scorching combo of wins vs Stoke & Derby though, the sickener of Frank's Derby stunning us in the playoffs, the off-season spent hoping Marcelo would stay for another tilt at promotion, the bonkers 4-5 win at Birmingham, that day down at Swansea, the thrill of seeing us score 1,2,3 goals away to the defending Prem League champions, Paddy's hat-trick vs Villa, the way we kept playing despite taking tonkings away to Man U & Arsenal, the win at Man City, a joy. Marcelo's Leeds won a lot of fans, and I daresay a lot of those will keep an eye on his next job, should he take up a post somewhere else.

Ty Mister Bielsa, Sir💙.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

The pressure on Philips and Bamford would have been immense if Bielsa had stayed, because everyone is sort of hinting at the loss of form due to their unavailability.

The only thing that is 100% clear is that Bielsa would never change his way or approach. So if something isn't working, the owners have taken a decision to remove that obstacle, to allow a change of approach to games.

If we stay up, the next few years are going to be a huge shock to some fans imo. We are going to float around mid table for a number of years probably. Like a Wolves or a Palace. Like lets call a spade a spade, we are a newly promoted team, we wont be paying huge wages, we play in a pretty small stadium, the pitch is poor and the training ground is ok.

We wont attract amazing players and our signings since we have been promoted have been fair to middling. We are going to need a huge spend in the summer IMO.

• Advertisement

It is the tough side of football, results do matter and I reckon it was Radrizzani not the Americans. Very mixed feelings about how it ended and would have preferred him to set off into the sunset in the summer. Being hard-headed about it, 12 games is enough time for a new manager to right the ship enough to get above the bottom three. With Bielsa there was only the hope he would do it and the hope that Phillips coming back would solve things. They could have left it till then but that would be 9-10 games left. There are enough points to be taken to ensure survival and much as Bielsa might have deserved that the risk of all the finances of the last four years unravelling was too great. That's not to say it won't happen anyway but glad that it was not my decision to make. Sad day though.

Gracias Profi por todos!

I'd almost fully agree, but I wouldnt be so bothered by it if they called it as mutual consent. At least that way it comes across as MB having it in some part as his way. Least he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

Basically, if we faced Norwich, Watford, Brentwood or Burnley in the morning, how many points do you think we'd get from them - 12, 10, 9, 8, ...... 1, 0 ? I think Radz had little option really (unfortunately)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'll be forever grateful to Bielsa for what he did for the club, we've had some great times under his leadership.

However everything comes to an end and the right decision has been made. The team is absolutely woeful at the moment, no confidence at all and Bielsa is the cause of a lot of that. I have no idea why he watches so much analysis of opposition teams to go out and play the exact same way in every game. What's the point? Everyone could see man marking wasn't working yet he dogmatically stuck to it. Ultimately he was the master of his own downfall.

He's a thoroughly likable man and I have huge respect for how he conducts himself and when it was working we were a joy to watch. It's such a shame that it's ended like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The decision to let Bielsa go is an absolute joke. By and large, we've a subpar Championship squad, whereby Bielsa got individuals playing to their absolute extreme. He would of kept us up, we'll plummet now, and everyone will see how poor we really are.

He's a victim of his own success, people started to believe our team/squad was Premier League standard. Yet despite our spine ripped out, and no investment by the powers who be, who seem to want regular Premier League football on the cheap, we were above relegation. Bielsa heightened expectations, to make people believe we were better than we were.

We'll be lucky not to go down and drop to league one imo. Most of our players are rubbish, made look better under Bielsa. If people think recent results were bad, they haven't seen whats coming. We just let go one of the best managers in the world, who was working miracles, with what was effectively, subpar dirt talent wise.

Worst decision in football since Argentina substituted Riquelme against the Germans in the 06 World Cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

This seems like a troll with all those nonsensical statements. The Riquelme one did give me a chuckle to be fair.

I bet it feels good to have that out of your system! The signs were there that this was the last chapter in his story at Leeds so while it has been cruelly cut short, regrettably correctly IMO, the end was near.

Post edited by is_that_so on

I think the end was near in that he wasn't going to be here next season anyway - regardless if he kept us up or not and I think that was also in the minds of the board in making the final decision.

The only way he would have stayed was if we finished in a higher position than last season - he'd brought the club on as far as he could.

Golden Miller might have taken it to extremes, but I do think Bielsa elevated some of these players above themselves. Some could be shown up now IMO

I agree to an extent, coming from a consistency perpesctive. The majority of the squad in terms of consistency are low level premier players at best.

But definitely not league 1 or poor championship level as a base line norm.

• Advertisement

I think Bielsa elevated some of the players a lot clearly but that some of that improvement was starting to fade now. Klich and Ayling for example have had some good games this year but have regressed in the grand scheme of things. The real error that is going to cost us come the end of the season is not continually improving the squad.

The board have gotten away with a lack of investment because of how Bielsa has been able to get so much more out of average players. You can't talk of Europe only being a season away potentially and then only bring in Junior Firpo and Dan James in the summer. Firpo is still adapting and James was only done at the end of the window because he became available all of a sudden.

I am hopeful that Marsch can have an impact. Bringing in zonal marking could solve a lot of our defensive problems in the short term. All of the players will have played in that type of system before so it shouldn't take too long to get up to speed on.

Talk doing the rounds that Klich had wanted to leave last summer, as he was exhausted from all the playing and training. Exhaustion might be true of the internationals between travelling and playing so much. KP hasn’t looked himself when he has played , imo.

Would you not say they're low level solely because of Bielsa? Like, before him, I wouldn't have said Ayling, Dallas, Cooper, maybe Klich, even Phillips, Bamford were going to be getting moves to pl clubs. Now fair enough they've done well and may get moves now, but that's more due to Bielsa again

BBC saying it will be Marsch.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Don't have an issue with any of this to be honest. It is absolutely the reality,despite what some might fantasise about.

We're never competing with the top mega rich clubs and I'm fine with that.

Daniel Chapman has written a good article in the Square Ball about this in the wake of the weekend's news. It could be read as being a little arrogant,as in we are Leeds, we're not like other clubs,we have a soul and we don't want to change.......but he argues that what the board has done now means that we are now the same as all the other horrible Premier League teams.

I'm really torn here. I think I'd have preferred Bielsa to stay,even if it meant relegation. For me,the only real downside of this would mean the top players moving on. But this is likely to happen even if we do manage to stay up.

But then we'll have new heroes coming through, Sean McGurk, Charlie Allen,Max Dean, Nohan Kennah,among others are all waiting for their chances and things will move on.

I'm just afraid that we end up like Burnley or Watford, playing disgusting football as a means to an end. There's no fun in watching that every week.

Fan reaction at the next two games will be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Lack of investment? I have no idea why this myth persists. We've spent £163m in 20 months. Net. No sales. In 2020 we were the third biggest net spenders on the planet, invested more than any Italian, French, German or Spanish club and more than Liverppol, Man Utd, Arsenal, etc. Only Chelsea and Man City spent more.

Last summer we also bought Jack Harrison for £12m and Kristoffer Klaesson for £2m. We offered £20m for Aaronson which would have taken the spending to £185m. We also owe Leipzig £18m for Augustin and unless we win the appeal in two weeks we're paying out. That is transfer money that has had a block put on it.

To say that Leeds are not being ambitious is wholly unfair to Radz and the board and smacks of fans becoming too entitled in terms of demands. But I agree that Marsch may sort out the zonal and other stuff. A couple of wins in March and things will look very different indeed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

@Jimmy Two Times I'm really torn here. I think I'd have preferred Bielsa to stay,even if it meant relegation. For me,the only real downside of this would mean the top players moving on. But this is likely to happen even if we do manage to stay up.

There is no way that Bielsa would have stayed on next season. If the above happened we'd be in the Championship requiring a new manager anyway all because of some sort of moral obligation.

We're all Leeds fans and we like to think that our club is better than others. We're not. Our owners are in it for the money, they want a return on their investment and we were in real danger of going down. It's hardly surprising they've made the decision to try something else.

I don't really know anything about this Marsch lad but I'm hoping he can sort out the defence asap.

Well, if we attribute it to Bielsa coaching I think we need to factor in the caliber of previous managers and their coaching . It's an element of it alright, but I think the players still need to have ability to be coached and have the on field ability. They are not consistently better for 9th in the prem but they are better than lower half championship at least.

Are you, and others saying we didn't deserve 9th last season? I'd respectfully disagree, and say that with some VAR decisions, luck and less injuries we'd have been even higher.

And this season, with our worst injury crisis in living history (Meslier the only significant player I can think of who's not been out) and with the highest number of teenagers ever given debuts in the PL (after 21 games!!) we're still going to likely finish well out of reach of the bottom three.

There's lots of valid criticism of Bielsa and several of the players, but when all are fit we really do have an impressive team and squad. I wouldn't swap ours with those of Villa, Leicester, Everton, Palace, Brighton, Southampton and several others. With less injuries, a couple of additions (and no major sales) we're good enough to finish in the top ten every season. Alas we're probably going to be losing good players soon.

No, I'm saying that the ability of the individual players is not that of a poor championship side. A select few would walk into a mid table prem side.

I think we did deserve 9th, we blew teams away, the consistency was there, quality, confidence, passing, finishing. Second time of asking and its just not there, anywhere.

• Advertisement

'A select few' are good enough for mid-table teams? Half of our side have been pursued by CL teams - Meslier, Llorente, Raphinha, Phillips, Bamford, Koch and Rodrigo all had serious interest and/or offers from major teams in the past 9 months. We have some players underperforming but we have yet to see the best of the likes of Struijk, Harrison, Firpo, Gelhardt, Hjelde, Shackleton, James and others. We have some exceptional young talent on the way and I'm very impressed with the form of Dallas and Forshaw plus cooper's return will help.

I agree re Ayling, Roberts and Klich but a few underperforming players don't necessitate the denigration of all. And yes, I know that Raphinha, Llorente and others are also going through blips. Hopefully a turnaround in March.

Not inclined to give oxygen to that pompous nitwit Keys but he mentioned this today in his blog, which made me chuckle quite a bit.

Keys stressed that Leeds would have been better going for a survival specialist in the shape of Sam Allardyce.

I'm not knocking the team\players but I am being realistic. Think of the consistency that top players bring to a team. Now, give me the names of the players in the teams that are above mid table that you think ours would oust based on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I’m sorry to see Bielsa go. In over fifty years supporting this team, the last few have probably been the most craic. Bielsa did a fantastic job with the players and the fans.

Unfortunately the team looked directionless in the past two months or so and his approach didn’t adapt to the circumstances of the squad. So much as I hate to say it, maybe we need a different approach to improves our chances of staying up.

Well it worked for West Brom. No, hang on....

Most of the clubs he's reputed to have saved weren't in any trouble anyway.

And a quick appointment means we don't hear any more of that, nor any links with Tory Frank. Happy to hear also what Erling Haaland has had to say about Marsch. We may do well with this guy.

Phillips and Raphinha would walk into almost all PL teams, hence the demand for them. Meslier is a better goalie than most PL teams have and is only improving. Llorente a better CD than 2/3 of the competition. Struijk and Koch may soon be at his level. If the latter does well at this year's World Cup he'll be another that is much sought after. Bamford was fourth top scorer in the PL last season, Spurs wanted him and others would happily accommodate him. Goals count and he scored more than every other striker bar three others in the division. Daniel James played 72 games in the last two seasons for Man Utd, he'd find plenty of options available. Harrison would get into a few teams, as would Rodrigo, though this season's performances haven't merited much. Better to come from both.

We have weaknesses, and most of our youngsters not quite ready, but the current squad are essentially the same (with some improvements) as went on that brilliant 11 match run (only one defeat to Brighton) at the end of last season. Won't happen again but returning players plus a fresh new manager may change things for the better.

Yep, I agree with four of your selection. Thats why I said a select few.

Koch, struijk, Harrison, James, klich, ayling, Cooper, firpo, Roberts, rodrigo....

I don't see it.

Confirmed Marsch now, so hopefully it works out for him. Big game on Saturday, a win would change the outlook completely

• Advertisement

Video on him on this link. Some similarities, especially with the high press.

Advertisement