Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

emmetlego wrote: »

The fact I've even mentioned the R word is scary, but that's nearly our form right now.

Thats the scary thing though.....we've all seen teams that we thought were too good to go down over the years do exactly that.

The problem is that we have no ppints buffer if things get messy down where we are. We are on 13 points.....plus I think the other teams around and below will fancy their chances against us, never mind the teams closer to the top that we have coming up over the next few weeks.

Our team is pathetic every week and nothing seems to be changing in terms of how we play or approach the games. No change from game to game and that's very worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lads. We're not getting relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Should I cash in on my Paddy Power bet for the title :)

I'm not panicking about the drop zone, but I can't remember the last time I had so many expectations that have reduced to almost nothing. We didn't play badly against Spurs but we just didn't join the dots and certainly didn't finish.

The Partey incident was bizarre and can't have done much good for his confidence... Last time I saw that was when Brian Clough did similar when they won the European Cup and one of the players wanted a pee....

Even I'm questioning Arteta at the moment.... For those who know me, that's totally unlike me. I'm quite sad to see us where we are especially with the job Mourinho is doing at Spurs.

The run in to Christmas could really define Mikels future as I wonder if form continues to slide will the money be pulled back for Jan.

Certainly from the person I know, the feeling in the club is rock bottom at the moment.

No, I know that but something needs to change so that we can start to pick up some points. If we continue as we are, its hard to see us picking up points against anyone. Confidence must be at a terrible low ebb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Azatadine wrote: »
    No, I know that but something needs to change so that we can start to pick up some points. If we continue as we are, its hard to see us picking up points against anyone. Confidence must be at a terrible low ebb.

I asked a few weeks ago if anyone thought that the players weren’t playing for Arteta. I’m starting to believe that’s the case. I remember AMN saying that the players were behind Ozil and I’m wondering if it’s actually the case that they’re blaming Arteta for him not being in the squad. There’s some reason why we could turn from playing good football to playing rubbish. Yesterday Spurs looked so smug going around the pitch grinning and smiling and knowing Arsenal would not break them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I asked a few weeks ago if anyone thought that the players weren’t playing for Arteta. I’m starting to believe that’s the case. I remember AMN saying that the players were behind Ozil and I’m wondering if it’s actually the case that they’re blaming Arteta for him not being in the squad. There’s some reason why we could turn from playing good football to playing rubbish. Yesterday Spurs looked so smug going around the pitch grinning and smiling and knowing Arsenal would not break them down.

I always think of that time Emery suggested the club had decided to freeze Ozil out. It's the only thing that makes any sense. Two managers in a row drop Ozil, for being no worse than any of the other guys, then every other player seems to lose form at the same time.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Developing young talent takes time, and stop gaps like Willian are required for that period. It takes poor results. Time away from the top. Patient fans etc.
    Better players than Willian are required. He's not a very good player yet was signed as pretty much a starter.
    At the moment Arteta isn't getting any time to coach. He is constantly moving from game preparation to game preparation. The sooner the better we are out of the likes of the League cup, and the Europa league, because then Arteta will get a chance to actually coach the team, which he was doing pre-COVID
    So next season when we have a run of tight fixtures and there's "no time to coach" we can expect the same run of drizzling ****s in the league as we're seeing now?
    We'll improve through the season because it's regression to the mean. Also there'll be no pressure on anything and absolutely nothing at stake so we'll probably put a decent run together then.
    Personally I think Willian should be nowhere near our first XI.
    That's true, and he shouldn't have been signed. Stopgaps (and high wage/expensive ones at that) should improve things. A 32 year old winger who's never got into double digits for (league) goals isn't someone we should have any dealings with. But it's a sign of the nonsense state throughout the club that he is anywhere near the starting XI. Before signing him I didn't know why we were doing so, now seeing him semi-regularly I can only surmise that there are clowns at every level of the club hierarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

I was listening to the arsecast podcast this morning and listening to them give out about William. I wonder if we played him in the number 10 position with Pepe and saka either side would it improve our attacking output?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I was listening to the arsecast podcast this morning and listening to them give out about William. I wonder if we played him in the number 10 position with Pepe and saka either side would it improve our attacking output?

He's too slow in his movement, and in his thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

I would wager that it would. I always assumed thst he was brought in as a stop gap for the 10 role as Arteta alluded to in his press talks prior to signing him.

Regardless I must say its painfully ironic that we have turned into a team that lumps crosses when we are without the aerially excellent Giroud. I really hope that the players just don't know what else to do rather than bring instructed to play wide and cross it in because Auba nor anyone bar Gabriel and Luiz are not good at heading at all.

Did you hear them saying we have had fewer second half shots than any team in the entire football league? Fewer than Grimsby or Harrogate?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Did you hear them saying we have had fewer second half shots than any team in the entire football league? Fewer than Grimsby or Harrogate?

Ya I did, new low really. Don't get why they are so scared to shoot.

Quazzie wrote: »
    He's too slow in his movement, and in his thinking.

I would think his only remaining quality worth tapping into is his passing ability. Just think it has more or a chance of working then him out wide trying to do one twos with Bellerin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It's worth remembering that Klopp steered Liverpool to 6th in his first season. Guardiola led a very rich Man City to 3rd, 15pts behind Chelsea. Alex Ferguson was a Mark Robins goal away from being sacked as Utd boss. Even last season, Hassenhutl was very close to being sacked as Southampton boss and today they are 5th.

Sometimes things get bad before they get better and constantly chopping and changing managers is never going to work if the club doesn't have unlimited resources. I guess we need to stand by our man and hope that something clicks soon and our players hit some form.

For many years, we've struggled against the teams that adopt that low-block against us. The likes of City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Utd decided to outplay us and it suited us better as we played out from the back while they pressed us. Mourinho was never going to do that and against teams like that, we've always needed to score the first goal or we were in trouble. This is where we need better movement and aerial ability in the box. Martinelli is certainly capable of that, but is still too young to be consistent.

We definitely need a little bit of luck right now until we have the players Arteta wants. Gabriel and Partey are a good start. Hopefully we add some creativity in January so that we can finish the season well. Right now, we're not too far away from the top 5/6, but we can't afford to fall back any further.

COYG!

Ya I did, new low really. Don't get why they are so scared to shoot.

Same here. That must be drilled into them from Arteta? Must be some direction given not to shoot from range.

• Advertisement

Really worrying about the shooting because the players have previously shown that they can shoot.

The play is just so predictable and devoid of ideas as the ball is pinged around the back only to be forced out wide followed by a hit and hope style cross.

djan wrote: »
    Really worrying about the shooting because the players have previously shown that they can shoot.

The play is just so predictable and devoid of ideas as the ball is pinged around the back only to be forced out wide followed by a hit and hope style cross.

It doesn't help that the likes of Xhaka, who can shoot, are deployed as a hybrid defensive-midfielder / defender instead of playing between the lines and getting forward.

gscully wrote: »
    It doesn't help that the likes of Xhaka , who can shoot, are deployed as a hybrid defensive-midfielder / defender instead of playing between the lines and getting forward are on the pitch.

Fixed that for you.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

Fair point, but if he has added anything, it's through shooting and passing between the lines. Where he's played now, he doesn't contribute to those and instead we're highlighting all his weaknesses and none of his strengths. He might as well not be on the pitch. Many think that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I dont suppose anyone knows where I can watch the u21 game thats on now?
    Cant seem to find anywhere to watch it, was hoping to catch Martinelli and Saliba in action

• Advertisement

I dont suppose anyone knows where I can watch the u21 game thats on now?
    Cant seem to find anywhere to watch it, was hoping to catch Martinelli and Saliba in action

You can watch it on AFC Wimbledon's website for £10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Martinelli just missed a sitter from 4 yards!

Martinelli just missed a sitter from 4 yards!

He’ll not miss for the first team. He’s rusty now. Give him time.

He’ll not miss for the first team. He’s rusty now. Give him time.

At this stage, I'm willing to give him the armband!

U21s 3 nil down and down to ten men, Saliba sent off as well as Akinola

U21s 3 nil down and down to ten men, Saliba sent off as well as Akinola

Maths is not your strong point... :P

Saliba's sending off was a joke. It was studs up, but nowhere near the player. I think he shows amazing talent, strength, speed, positioning and great feet and head passing. I know it's U-21, but that's his 4th game I've watched and he's been THE standout player every time!

Not sure what Mikel doesn't like in him.

I didn't even know that was the case. I thought his development was just pushed back due to personal issues, otherwise he would have probably been in our first team from the start of the season.

Maths is not your strong point... :P

Saliba's sending off was a joke. It was studs up, but nowhere near the player. I think he shows amazing talent, strength, speed, positioning and great feet and head passing. I know it's U-21, but that's his 4th game I've watched and he's been THE standout player every time!

Not used to saying 9 men, 2 sendings off is too rare :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

All of the papers are leading with Ozil out now in January. Playing in Turkey or the MLS with DC United are possibilities. It'll be interesting can we cash in and get something for him before his contract runs out next summer. The MLS starts the same time the League of Ireland does or thereabouts so any marquee signings for American and Canadian team would want to be wrapped up in January or as early as possible. Whatever happens he's leaving the club one way or another, either in January or next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

DenMan wrote: »
    All of the papers are leading with Ozil out now in January. Playing in Turkey or the MLS with DC United are possibilities. It'll be interesting can we cash in and get something for him before his contract runs out next summer. The MLS starts the same time the League of Ireland does or thereabouts so any marquee signings for American and Canadian team would want to be wrapped up in January or as early as possible. Whatever happens he's leaving the club one way or another, either in January or next summer.

I wouldnt even worry about cashing in, it would just be enough to have him off the books and put the whole debacle behind us.

I say this as Ozil fan FWIW but clearly there is no intention of allowing him to play again so its time to just close it once and for all.

• Advertisement

gscully wrote: »
    It's worth remembering that Klopp steered Liverpool to 6th in his first season. Guardiola led a very rich Man City to 3rd, 15pts behind Chelsea. Alex Ferguson was a Mark Robins goal away from being sacked as Utd boss. Even last season, Hassenhutl was very close to being sacked as Southampton boss and today they are 5th.
    It's also worth remembering that Klopp won the Bundesliga twice with a team that weren't Bayern Munich.
    And that Ferguson had started at St. Mirren before breaking the Old Firm dominance with Aberdeen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I hope he goes , it'll once and for all end the constant Ozil talk any time we have a poor result every manager since wenger has tried to get shot of him that should speak for itself regardless off all the noise about china and wage cuts

We all hope he goes but I’d still like to know what happened with him after he played in Arteta’s first 10 games.

Skip to 3:35 in this video :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slfXgc7w6cI

Saliba is being brought back into the fold in January it seems, and Partey is out for a few games. I'd say it's a 6 week injury, so our until at least mid/late Jan. Not ideal.

Torreira is getting feck all game time at Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Partey injury is in same area but not same place, out for a few weeks according to Arteta, but insists he wasn't brought back early.

6 weeks before we see him again is what I hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Partey injury is in same area but not same place, out for a few weeks according to Arteta, but insists he wasn't brought back early.

6 weeks before we see him again is what I hear

Unless results improve Arteta will be gone before Partey plays again for Arsenal lad.

Torreira is getting feck all game time at Madrid

He is only there 9 weeks, was away in South America on International Duty, had COVID 19 and has made 7 appearances. Seems fairly decent to me and some of the media reports from Spain have been very complementary.

Rumours that a few Italian clubs are interested in signing him in January, from the interviews and quotes I have seen he has absolutely no intention of returning to Arsenal if he can avoid it.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    He’s more game time than saliba

What the hell is going on there? Last season it was as if he was going to be our saviour when we eventually can play him. Instead he can't even get a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

DenMan wrote: »
    Unless results improve Arteta will be gone before Partey plays again for Arsenal lad.

Absolutely no chance this will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Absolutely no chance this will happen

never say never.. if we loose the next 5 games are you telling me it won't be looked at by the board? I am not saying we will loose the next few games but surely if it did happen, he would need to go. that would be 1 win in 10 games. I personally think he can still turn it around. fingers crossed anyway!

Pogue eile wrote: »
    He is only there 9 weeks, was away in South America on International Duty, had COVID 19 and has made 7 appearances. Seems fairly decent to me and some of the media reports from Spain have been very complementary.

Rumours that a few Italian clubs are interested in signing him in January, from the interviews and quotes I have seen he has absolutely no intention of returning to Arsenal if he can avoid it.
    Did you look at the minutes in those appearances?

Did you look at the minutes in those appearances?

Most were as subs but he has impressed. It's Athletico Madrid, I don't think someone who was so short of minutes was ever going to just walk into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Anybody else feel like Giroud never got the credit he deserved off opposition fans until he went to Chelsea?

• Advertisement

Anybody else feel like Giroud never got the credit he deserved off opposition fans until he went to Chelsea?

He would get a fair few goals with the way we are playing now.

Criminally underrated player for a long time!

Never mind the opposition fans, he never got the credit he deserved off his own fans!

Apart from his goals, his defensive work, sometimes even just his presence defending set pieces, was invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Azatadine wrote: »
    Apart from his goals, his defensive work, sometimes even just his presence defending set pieces, was invaluable.

He usually had the most headed clearances from set pieces for us, mental for a centre forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

darego wrote: »
    never say never.. if we loose the next 5 games are you telling me it won't be looked at by the board? I am not saying we will loose the next few games but surely if it did happen, he would need to go. that would be 1 win in 10 games. I personally think he can still turn it around. fingers crossed anyway!

The board would need to look at themselves, spent all summer chasing Aouar with no backup if it didn't happen. A creative player was what the team was crying out for and they didn't bring one in. Arteta is by no means setting the world alight but with the ****e he has within the squad no one would. I agree if he gets 1 or 2 in the January window and things still aren't picking up 2 months down the line, then questions will certainly be asked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement