Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Probably looking at 10 minutes injury time.

Villa might as well sub Kodjia off, a selfish clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Can we put El ghazi on up front. At least he will close down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Strolling around the place as if we’re 4-0 up in a game where he put in a monster shift.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This is Kodija's chance to prove himself and stake a claim to replace the injured Wes.... Jaysus sign someone now Dean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Patser

Hepburn-Murphy? Hogan? Anyone must be better than Kodjia

Patser wrote: »
    Hepburn-Murphy

How had he been doing on loan? All I've heard it's he got sent off in his first game

Luiz should have scored there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just needed to lift it there Luiz, could have finished it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Huge win.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Big win. Fully deserved too.

Using a complete change of formation that's a very good win. Saw that 9 min of injury time out quite well too.

Jack, Luiz and Mings all very good. Most of the team were in fairness, bar Kodjia tbh. Awful sub appearance from him.

Happy New Year lads

Huge win.

Huge win.

3 points of note:
    1) Grealish is wonderful
    2) Smith seems to remain incapable of dealing with any opposition tactical tweaks.
    3) Kodjia should never wear a Villa jersey again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

CSF wrote: »
    Huge win.

3 points of note:
    1) Grealish is wonderful
    2) Smith seems to remain incapable of dealing with any opposition tactical tweaks.

Spot on.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Huge win.

3 points of note:
    1) Grealish is wonderful

Hard not to agree with this although I was happy to see Smith actually change things up formation wise to begin with today. Mid game changes are a different thing though.

Really hoping we get some good news on the injuries, in particular with Wes who we do not have adequate backup on. A CF being signed be it a loan or whatever needs to be a priority even moreso now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

The effort level from Jack vs Kodjia is night and day, I'd really love to see Mings pin him against the wall in the dressing room and call him out on it, despicable attitude, he'll end up in China or India I bet, sooner the better.

Similar to the Norwich game, we conceded a lot of chances and could easily of lost that. The lack of game management from Smith and lack of holding onto the ball from the players is cancerous.

A real lucky 3 points.

Hard not to agree with this although I was happy to see Smith actually change things up formation wise to begin with today. Mid game changes are a different thing though.

Really hoping we get some good news on the injuries, in particular with Wes who we do not have adequate backup on. A CF being signed be it a loan or whatever needs to be a priority even moreso now
    First half was great. I was starting to get the hopes up and had forgotten how much of our problem was an inability to keep a good thing going.

This is what the problem has been, much more than the 4 or 5 recent games where the performance level has been woeful throughout.

3 points behind Arsenal all the same ;-)

Big win but could be very costly.
    Who wants to see Nyland and Kodija start next game?!

Burnley were really shocking though, their fans must be fuming after that.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »

Whatever about nyland at the moment it's rather some random striker from the youth team instead of kodjia

JPA wrote: »

I'd prefer to see Nyland start than Kodija tbh

I'd say anyone from Arsenal down could end up in a relagation battle this year and Burnely are very much so included in that. They have lost their last 3 games now. Poor opposition yes but Villa won 2/3 of theirs.

Unfortunately Man City are next up in the league but hopefully injuries could return /signings could be brought in by then (12 days away iirc) then a more beatable (though who knows this season) Brighton game.

matrim wrote: »
    Whatever about nyland at the moment it's rather some random striker from the youth team instead of kodjia

Read that Davis could have been in contention for today. Don’t care if Kodjia plays the 2 cup games but it’s Davis it El Ghazi to deputise in any league game.

Not sure I agree with it being a lucky 3 points at all. A team in the lead will usually concede chances due to the other team trying to get back into it. Other games this season the team has collapsed but I thought there was more solidity there today. If Burnley had chances then so did Kodjia to play a simple ball back to score, and Luiz's lob that he should have scored. Burnley didn't have a single decent chance in the 9 minutes of injury time.

Fully deserved win there today.

I thought the Hourihane change worked ok too. Gave us more cover on the right side and helped us during the added on time

Corholio wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with it being a lucky 3 points at all. A team in the lead will usually concede chances due to the other team trying to get back into it. Other games this season the team has collapsed but I thought there was more solidity there today. If Burnley had chances then so did Kodjia to play a simple ball back to score, and Luiz's lob that he should have scored. Burnley didn't have a single decent chance in the 9 minutes of injury time.

Fully deserved win there today.

I don’t think it was lucky. Both teams missing chances is a very common phenomenon in football. The team did enough in the first half to be able to give away quite a few chances and still win the game.

I just found it worrying that we completely lost our way in the second half after looking excellent in the first half. It’s been the story of so much of the season. Smith has often sent out an excellently prepared Villa team this season (most of the season up until recently), but then once the opposing manager susses out what he is doing, he hasn’t shown any ability to change it on the fly.

Strange being a supporter in the position Villa are in now. Suddenly im cheering on Spurs, Wolves and Leicester today

I don't think Smith was 'sussed' out today just because Burnley came back into it though. Very few matches have halves the same as each other. Hourihane coming on for Trez steadied it up a bit too. Team gets nervous too with the run it's been on in the closing of games.

Two cup games coming up now. No injuries and give the Semi-Finals a decent go would be only important things really.

Strange being a supporter in the position Villa are in now. Suddenly im cheering on Spurs, Wolves and Leicester today

Cheer harder, only Leicester are leading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

The initial fear is that both Wesley and Heaton have serious knee injuries and look likely to be out for the season if that is the case.

Added to having McGinn out for a long period and it means problems.

Should maybe target guys out of favour that need to be playing to get into Euro 2020 squads, like Batshuayi perhaps.

• Advertisement

Just saw that online about Heaton and Wesley. A physio who regularly comments on injuries has said he believes both could be ACL. Disaster on both counts if true. He is only guessing from his experience though, so hopefully it's not as bad.

Corholio wrote: »
    I don't think Smith was 'sussed' out today just because Burnley came back into it though. Very few matches have halves the same as each other. Hourihane coming on for Trez steadied it up a bit too. Team gets nervous too with the run it's been on in the closing of games.

Two cup games coming up now. No injuries and give the Semi-Finals a decent go would be only important things really.
    I mean, you could make that argument in isolation but these 1st half/2nd half Jekyll and Hyde performances have been the story of our season.

Norwich and Newcastle would be the only games where you could make an argument that we'd performed quite well in both halves (I'm not even talking outstanding here) all season in the league right?

Today the big positive is that we were able to cling on and grind out those 2 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Huge win , but at what price

Would prefer league game sooner to try build momentum , but we have alot of injuries and need to bring in guys.
    What goalkeep options have me?
    Heaton could be diff between stayin up and not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

sc86 wrote: »
    Huge win , but at what price

Would prefer league game sooner to try build momentum , but we have alot of injuries and need to bring in guys.
    What goalkeep options have me?
    Heaton could be diff between stayin up and not

Nyland will start for the foreseeable future. Kalinic still in the squad so he will likely go to the bench. If Kalinic leaves in January, Sarkic can always be called back from his loan spell in Scotland.

Jed Steer is still recovering from his achilles injury. He is out of the protective boot but no time set for his return as of yet.

As for Wesley:https://twitter.com/AVFCTransTweet/status/1212409360296685568

The Wesley injury looked worse than the Heaton injury, I was watching on my phone but I couldn't exactly see how Heaton injured himself.
    I thought Ben Mee went for ball and man in his tackle on Wesley but the commentary didn't see it that way.

Jarrod Bowen scored again this afternoon.

Benrahma scored too, Brentford going third in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Panrich

I can't see Wesley getting over that kind of twist without serious injury. It was a huge 3 points though and now we have a chance to get reinforcements in. If these injuries had happened on 1st February, it would be much worse.

Every one of our rivals winning

Newcastle losing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Panrich

In one way though, it brings more teams into the mix. Burnley now are struggling as are Bournemouth and West Ham. Brighton and Newcastle have been pulled back in as well and dare we even mention Arsenal?

• Advertisement

Shows how crucial our last 2 wins were , we would be cut adrift otherwise

Would still be nice to have had Watford and Norwich cut adrift and buried, with us on a scrap for final relegation space: instead of all relegation spaces in the mix

The more photos /angles I see of the Wesley challenge, the more I can't see him playing again this season.

Ben Mee put Joe Gomes of Liverpool out for 6 weeks with a rough tackle earlier on in the year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Didnt see any of the game but a win away is a great result with our form and Burnley away isnt the easiest place to pick up points.

We are going to struggle now with all the injuries, Heaton, Wes (who is much better tha Kodjia and will score more than Davis), McGinn are all guaranteed starters. I dont see much between Target and Taylor but it would be nice to have cover.

And of course Norwich take lead in first few minutes

Patser wrote: »
    And of course Norwich take lead in first few minutes

And West Ham winning too!

• Advertisement

We just can't think about other teams results, it's up to ourselves to get 40 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Esse85 wrote: »
    The more photos /angles I see of the Wesley challenge, the more I can't see him playing again this season.

Ben Mee put Joe Gomes of Liverpool out for 6 weeks with a rough tackle earlier on in the year too.

Really it was a nasty sneaky one from Mee. The ball which he won was a good bit away from where he damaged Wes, he purposely followed through with all his weight after he got the ball which is hat caused the damage. Im sure it won't happen, but he should be done for that tackle and serve a ban. I thought they were the tackles that they were trying to stop?

The Ben Mee tackle on Gomez.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_bfc1882_/status/1092704795360669697?lang=en

Would of been an excellent tackle in the 90s, however in today's game I think its dangerous and wreck less and should be punished.

Palace's late equaliser is a tough one for Norwich.

Wasn't mentioned much in after game talk but I thought Trez was really good today. Worked very well in that formation. Hope can get a lot more consistency out of him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement