Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Terrible idea. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Us Scotland and Wales should have launched a better bid really. Our one chance of hosting a football tournament is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

It's kinda funny how they're needlessly expanded the tournament to 24 and then realised that hardly any country in Europe can host a tournament of that size. It's like fixing something that wasn't broken and then compounding the mess further.

If Ireland demonstrated last summer there probably isn't 16 top quality sides in Europe at any given time anyway. Who knows what kind of rubbish there'll be in a 24 team tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

roanoke wrote: »
    It's kinda funny how they're needlessly expanded the tournament to 24 and then realised that hardly any country in Europe can host a tournament of that size. It's like fixing something that wasn't broken and then compounding the mess further.

If Ireland demonstrated last summer there probably isn't 16 top quality sides in Europe at any given time anyway. Who knows what kind of rubbish there'll be in a 24 team tournament.
    Depending on the format, it should be business as usual after the first round. The positives are that it gives us more games to watch and a better chance of smaller nations like ourselves qualifying. All the "rubbish" will be gone after the first round if they are that bad. I dont have any issues with 24 teams assuming they come up with a good format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

roanoke wrote: »

Dunno about that argument to be honest, considering the world cup has 32 teams.

I don't agree with expanding the number of teams, but making it 24 doesn't mean that the old way of hosting is now impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Terrible idea. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

But it is broken, there are no suitable bidders for 2020.
    The list was Turkey, Georgia/Armenia and Scotland/Wales/Ireland at the deadline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Can we not just let Qatar or Russia host it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Unfortunately the little cartoon pictures of each ground and the categories are long gone from the UEFA site, but the pic from this site gives the general layout.
    http://www.football-marketing.com/2011/02/15/uefa-announces-euro-2012-ticket-prices/

So Category 3 directly behind the goal, Category 2 from corner flag to corner flag behind the goal (excluding Category 3) and Category 1 from corner flag to corner flag the length of the pitch, so definitely Cat 1 as a majority of the ground, maybe 55/60%.
    I did get my tickets early enough (on the famous portal) so I'd concede it's perfectly plausible that they adapted the layout to make more areas Cat2/3.

Edit : Thinking about it for Gdansk my Cat1 ticket was about a metre to the left of the corner flag, must have been ripped off by UEFA going by what bren2001 said.

Category 1 certainly wasn't most of the ground! I'm sure the Euro 2012 ticketing superthread is still around somewhere to check but from memory the ticket prices for most tickets were very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Sepp Blatter of all people says E2020 wont have heart or soul. SEPP BLATTER says it!. The cheek. The man whos done whatever he can to take heart and soul out of football and also take the World Cup to country that knows nothing about football. Couldnt make it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21786199
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter says Uefa's plans to stage the 2020 European Championship at venues across Europe could lead to a soulless tournament.

In January, Uefa announced that 13 cities, each in a different country, will host the tournament, with one hosting both semi-finals and the final.

Wembley has bid to hold the final, with Cardiff, Dublin and Glasgow all expected to bid to host group matches.

"Such a Euro lacks heart and soul," Blatter told Germany's Kicker magazine.

"A tournament should be played in one country. That is how you create identity and euphoria.

"They have fragmented the 2020 tournament. So it is not a European Championship any more. It has to have a different name, I do not know what name."

Uefa boss Michel Platini has expressed his support for Istanbul to host the final if the Turkish city is unsuccessful in its Olympic bid.

Europe's governing body is eager to split the costs for the bigger tournament and celebrate the tournament's 60th anniversary across the continent.

Blatter, who has run Fifa since 1998, plans to retire in 2015 if the organisation is strong and stable, with former France international Platini seen as a possible successor.

"I do not know if he wants to (put himself forward)," said Blatter. "He has an idea about the future of Fifa which he has to explain to the continents at some point. But he has not decided yet."

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Bidding countries/cities have been officially announced:

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/organisation/executivecommittee/news/newsid=1998214.html#thirty+fas+considering+euro+2020+bids

Armenia (Yerevan)
    Azerbaijan (Baku)
    Belarus (Minsk)
    Belgium (Brussels)
    Bulgaria (Sofia)
    Croatia (Zagreb)
    Czech Republic (Prague)
    Denmark (Copenhagen)
    England (London)
    Finland (Helsinki)
    France (Lyon)
    Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Skopje)
    Germany (Munich)
    Greece (Athens)
    Hungary (Budapest)
    Israel (Jerusalem)
    Italy (Rome, Milan)
    Kazakhstan (Astana)
    Netherlands (Amsterdam)
    Poland (Warsaw, Chorzow)
    Portugal (Lisbon, Porto)
    Republic of Ireland (Dublin)
    Romania (Bucharest)
    Russia (St Petersburg)
    Scotland (Glasgow)
    Serbia (Belgrade)
    Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao, Valencia)
    Sweden (Solna)
    Switzerland (Basel)
    Turkey (Istanbul)
    Ukraine (Kyiv, Donetsk)
    Wales (Cardiff).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Ukraine, Poland, France and Russia should be excluded as they have or will host a major tournament in the decade leading to 2020.
    Spain are a bit brazen with their 4 bids.
    Would be great to have a game or 2 in Dublin.
    Happy to see Cardiff in there, can never understand why the Welsh haven't put the Millennium as a Champions League final bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

iDave wrote: »
    Ukraine, Poland, France and Russia should be excluded as they have or will host a major tournament in the decade leading to 2020.
    Would be great to have a game or 2 in Dublin.
    Happy to see Cardiff in there, can never understand why the Welsh haven't put the Millennium as a Champions League final bid.

I'd agree in principle about the recent hosts, but excluding them will disadvantage a number of other countries, e.g. St. Petersburg and Helsinki would be an obvious pairing for a group, likewise Minsk and Kiev or Warsaw

Spain will cut it down their bid when the formal documents are submitted early next year

I think Dublin has a good chance of hosting (it'll be 4 matches - 3 group and one last 16 or qf)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

The 2020 Euros should be played in the Scandinavian countires during their winter months. They could install heaters in all the stadia, have a fake sun in the sky to ensure there is day light.......................but that would be just as silly as holding the World Cup in Qatar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Fairly sure UEFA have enough football stadiums on the Champion League Final roster (and others queueing up to be on the roster) without any need to ever use a non football ground, so such a bid would probably be pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Spain have 4 cities, but in many ways they can be viewed as four separate bids as they essentially cover four different regions with different cultures, language etc. (Valencia is a bit of a strange one here, they identify themselves very much as Spanish, but they speak Catalan, even if they call it Valencian).

There's a decent enough chance that by 2020 Barcelona won't even be in Spain anymore!

Valencia don't have much of a chance of getting it. They are stuck with one crumbling stadium and one half-built one, and the local government is engulfed in stories of corruption.

Barcelona always has a good chance in these things. The issue for them could be that the local government will want to get some use out of the Olympic Stadium for this and may well insist on it being the chosen venue. The Olympic Stadium is a bit sh1t for football, so it could scupper their chances. The fairly serious possibility of Catalan independence may also stop the federation giving it full support.

Madrid applies to host absolutely everything and tends to make a balls of it, and as such may get a pity vote here. In a typically Spanish tale of incompetence work has already begun on the Olympic Stadium, despite the fact that Madrid lost in both their bids to host the Games (2016 and 2020). The city council and the builders are contractually bound to complete it as it has been promised to Atletico Madrid. Using it for a semi-final or final of the Euros might soften the blow of building what is essentially a very expensive white elephant in a country crippled by economic problems.

The best candidate from Spain is Bilbao. The stadium is brand new and in a football-mad city in a lovely part of the country that won't be too hot summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

OK, final bids were announced, and only 2 cities have actually applied for the semis and the final. Final will either be in London or Munich.

Interestingly Spain has put Bilbao forward. The following have applied for the other games:

Azerbaijan (Baku)
    Belarus (Minsk)
    Belgium (Brussels)
    Bulgaria (Sofia)
    Denmark (Copenhagen)
    England (London)
    Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Skopje),
    Germany (Munich)
    Hungary (Budapest)
    Israel (Jerusalem)
    Italy (Rome)
    Netherlands (Amsterdam)
    Romania (Bucharest)
    Russia (Saint Petersburg)
    Scotland (Glasgow)
    Spain (Bilbao)
    Sweden (Stockholm)
    Wales (Cardiff)

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/finals/news/newsid=2096337.html#nineteen+bids+uefa+euro+2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

DubDani wrote: »
    OK, final bids were announced, and only 2 cities have actually applied for the semis and the final. Final will either be in London or Munich.

Interestingly Spain has put Bilbao forward. The following have applied for the other games:

Azerbaijan (Baku)
    Belarus (Minsk)
    Belgium (Brussels)
    Bulgaria (Sofia)
    Denmark (Copenhagen)
    England (London)
    Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Skopje),
    Germany (Munich)
    Hungary (Budapest)
    Israel (Jerusalem)
    Italy (Rome)
    Netherlands (Amsterdam)
    Romania (Bucharest)
    Russia (Saint Petersburg)
    Scotland (Glasgow)
    Spain (Bilbao)
    Sweden (Stockholm)
    Wales (Cardiff)

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/finals/news/newsid=2096337.html#nineteen+bids+uefa+euro+2020

Millenium Stadium an outside tip for the final? Wembley, and the Allianz have recently had CL finals so would be nice to see new venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

****ing stupid concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

thelad95 wrote: »
    Millenium Stadium an outside tip for the final? Wembley, and the Allianz have recently had CL finals so would be nice to see new venues.

Wales have not applied for the latter stages by the looks of things.

Would be great to see Dublin get a couple of games and you could argue that one group is based between Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Denmark, Sweden and Netherlands could be another cluster.

Looking at the others you can apply the same logic. I think Baku and St. Petersburg are possibly too isolated, but I guess it all depends on who qualifies etc.

• Advertisement

Zero chance UEFA'd ever give such a big game like a final to a rugby-owned ground when there are plenty of similar soccer-owned grounds in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

No, as they didn't apply for the finals? As only Munich and London applied for the Final games only one of these 2 will host the Semi's and the Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

SantryRed wrote: »
    ****ing stupid concept.

Why ?

There were no decent bids for 2020 so UEFA decided to take another approach, and its pretty novel and will work out pretty well if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Zero chance UEFA'd ever give such a big game like a final to a rugby-owned ground when there are plenty of similar soccer-owned grounds in Europe.

You mean like the Stade de France which isnt owned by anybody but a company?

In fact a club rugby team plays there every now and again yet it still hosted the 2006 CL Final. UEFA Dont care. They just want proper stadiums holding their games.

In fact a club rugby team plays there every now and again yet it still hosted the 2006 CL Final. UEFA Dont care. They just want proper stadiums holding their games.

I agree. The Millenium stadium is a magnificent venue and has hosted major soccer finals as well as Welsh internationals. If a half decent bid was put in, there's no reason it couldn't get a CL final or Euro final.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Surely Israel won't get it. It's not even in Europe ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

So 13 countries out of 19 applicants will get to host. Pretty good chance dublin will get it so. Im surprised only 19 countries applied. No portugal, france, austria, switzerland, poland. Is this because they have/will have hosted other tourneys?!

adamski8 wrote: »
    So 13 countries out of 19 applicants will get to host. Pretty good chance dublin will get it so. Im surprised only 19 countries applied. No portugal, france, austria, switzerland, poland. Is this because they have/will have hosted other tourneys?!

Austria are not going because they hosted recently . Ditto the Swiss and Poles.

France are hosting in 2016

Turkey are not putting up an application because they want to host the entire tournament in 2024.

I'd be more impressed if you could give me an example where UEFA have given a final to a stadium owned by a different sport?
    As I understand it UEFA are very clear that their big matches shouldn't be a big advertisement for a rival sport.

It's understandable why they went for the pan-european format. Turkey didn't really want it that much as they were confident of getting the Olympics (which didn't happen in the end), there was a joint bid from Azerbaijan-Georgia and a half-arsed Celtic nations bid thrown together at the last minute.

Looking back, I'm surprised England didn't go for it having missed out on the World Cup.

I'd be more impressed if you could give me an example where UEFA have given a final to a stadium owned by a different sport?
    As I understand it UEFA are very clear that their big matches shouldn't be a big advertisement for a rival sport.

Isn't the AVIVA owned by the IRFU and it still got the Europa League final? Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Isn't the AVIVA owned by the IRFU and it still got the Europa League final? Could be wrong though.

Jointly owned by the FAI for the next 50 years or something. Croke park is one of the biggest and best stadia in Europe, but it'll never be considered for a CL final as it's not a "soccer" stadium.

Fair point if its owned by rugby, I'm not sure of the specifics of the deal.
    To be honest I was thinking of CL Finals and EuroChampionships finals, but can't deny that the Europa is also a big final :o

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Why ?

There were no decent bids for 2020 so UEFA decided to take another approach, and its pretty novel and will work out pretty well if you ask me.

It is a stupid concept. UEFA decided out of nowhere to up the criteria for hosting a tournament. To the point where fúck all contries in Europe meet that criteria.
    Turkey was well able to host the tournament, but UEFA couldn't hold on to find out the suss with there Olympic bid.

Germany can hold any tournament at a drop of a hat btw.

An all over Europe Euros is a stupid idea and it ruins the concept of culture. Fúck UEFA in this regard.
    Hate the idea.
    Will never support it.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    Bidding countries/cities have been officially announced:

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/organisation/executivecommittee/news/newsid=1998214.html#thirty+fas+considering+euro+2020+bids

Armenia (Yerevan)
    Azerbaijan (Baku)
    Belarus (Minsk)
    Belgium (Brussels)
    Bulgaria (Sofia)
    Croatia (Zagreb)
    Czech Republic (Prague)
    Denmark (Copenhagen)
    England (London)
    Finland (Helsinki)
    France (Lyon)
    Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Skopje)
    Germany (Munich)
    Greece (Athens)
    Hungary (Budapest)
    Israel (Jerusalem)
    Italy (Rome, Milan)
    Kazakhstan (Astana)
    Netherlands (Amsterdam)
    Poland (Warsaw, Chorzow)
    Portugal (Lisbon, Porto)
    Romania (Bucharest)
    Russia (St Petersburg)
    Scotland (Glasgow)
    Serbia (Belgrade)
    Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao, Valencia)
    Sweden (Solna)
    Switzerland (Basel)
    Turkey (Istanbul)
    Ukraine (Kyiv, Donetsk)
    Wales (Cardiff).

This is probably the worst idea they've ever had, and that's saying something. Next step will be to play the first half in one country before they jet off somewhere else for the second half. Clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

frimpong wrote: »
    Surely Israel won't get it. It's not even in Europe ffs.

Neither is Turkey and most of Kazakhstan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Neither is Turkey and most of Kazakhstan.

Surely you mean Kazakhstan and most of Turkey?

I always understood that Istanbul was in Europe. Kazakhstan is the other side of the Caspian sea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Israel are considered European as far as UEFA are concerned cos they have no friends to play against in their own region!

I always understood that Istanbul was in Europe. Kazakhstan is the other side of the Caspian sea!

That's what I though until I looked at Wikipedia and edited my comment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

NIMAN wrote: »
    Israel are considered European as far as UEFA are concerned cos they have no friends to play against in their own region!

That's their own fault and their problem. They should be told to f*ck off. Sick of worrying about Sligo Rovers drawing one of their teams in Europe.

Same goes for Kazakhstan.

Oat23 wrote: »
    That's their own fault and their problem. They should be told to f*ck off. Sick of worrying about Sligo Rovers drawing one of their teams in Europe.

Same goes for Kazakhstan.

What about Russia? They have teams near Japan and Mongolia.

• Advertisement

What about Russia? They have teams near Japan and Mongolia.

Russia is massive. Moscow is a lot closer to Berlin than it is Tokyo. Can't have half in UEFA and half in the AFC we just have to make do with that. Kazakhstan are in it for the TV revenue and big games. They compete as part of Asia in other sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

This is a daft idea (not as bad as Qatat though) but as it is going ahead, the venues should be in countries that wouldn't have a hope of hosting it on their own or unlikely even with a co-host, Irleand, Scotland, Wales, Greece Bulgaria etc.

A once in a lifetime opportunity to have the tournament in these countries.
    The bigger countries such as Spain, Italy etc should only be considered for the latter stages if the smaller countries haven't the appropiate stadia.

Going to be a pain in the hole for the fans though, good chance of a qualifying team who are also hosts, not playing all their group games in their own country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Russia is massive. Moscow is a lot closer to Berlin than it is Tokyo. Can't have half in UEFA and half in the AFC we just have to make do with that. Kazakhstan are in it for the TV revenue and big games. They compete as part of Asia in other sports.

Moscows geography is irrelevant to a team that's travelling to Vladivostok.

Australia aren't in Asia either.

Moscows geography is irrelevant to a team that's travelling to Vladivostok.

Australia aren't in Asia either.

Grand. Lets just throw them to the AFC then since Vladivostok is near Japan when most of the Russian teams who play in Europe aren't even near there.

Russian Premier League teams for this season:

JzDyKUI.png

Luck-Energiya lost in the cup semi to Rostov, so the Vladivostok playing in Europe thing is ruled out for another year, and for the forseeable future as they are a mid-table 2nd division team.

Australia had to leave Oceania for the good of football in the country. Their games looked more like cricket scores.

Parts of Kazakhstan are in Europe .

Cyprus is in Asia. As is Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan.

Half of Iceland is in North America Geographically.

Bits of Turkey are in Europe. From half of Istanbul west and nearly 95% of Russia is in Asia

dan1895 wrote: »
    Jointly owned by the FAI for the next 50 years or something. Croke park is one of the biggest and best stadia in Europe, but it'll never be considered for a CL final as it's not a "soccer" stadium.
    I think there reasons other than ownership that are stopping Croke Park from being considered for a CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

JzDyKUI.png

So that's where Tom The Gom ended up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I think there reasons other than ownership that are stopping Croke Park from being considered for a CL final.

Such as?

dan1895 wrote: »
    Such as?

The ridiculous pitch proportion for a start. :pac: Have they anything like enough corporate seats/facilities? As in 20-30k capacity for those categories? Have they the right amount of parking and security? Have they enough Outside Broadcast space? Have they enough TV studios? It's one thing for Rugby (only 4 companies covering it at most) or soccer qualifiers (just RTE and the opposition's broadcasters covering it), it's another for every country in Europe wanting to send their own team.

• Advertisement

The ridiculous pitch proportion for a start. :pac: Have they anything like enough corporate seats/facilities? As in 20-30k capacity for those categories? Have they the right amount of parking and security? Have they enough Outside Broadcast space? Have they enough TV studios? It's one thing for Rugby (only 4 companies covering it at most) or soccer qualifiers (just RTE and the opposition's broadcasters covering it), it's another for every country in Europe wanting to send their own team.

You can say that about a lot of the other nations who have bid as well.

I mean Armenias stadium is big but thats about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement