Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think it will be interesting to see, seems like the logical thing to do when there was no realistic bids. It will be great that every different city will have it's own ideas and culture, I think it will make for a great competition. Provided that the groups are divided into neighbouring cities/countries it should work out quite well, fans will get to see a few different countries and experience different cultures, can only imagine it would be a bit of craic travelling across Europe in your thousands too. This way a lot more countries could hopefully get involved and countries that might have never stood a chance of hosting a Euros can get a taste of it now, even if it is only in one city.

The only problem I have with it is that each group will presumably have a "home nation", if these were for example: Germany, France, Spain, England, Netherlands, Italy - they would almost be certainties to qualify, chances of an upset would be much slimmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The only problem I have with it is that each group will presumably have a "home nation", if these were for example: Germany, France, Spain, England, Netherlands, Italy - they would almost be certainties to qualify, chances of an upset would be much slimmer.

That would be a danger but I doubt that UEFA would do that. In fact I'd hope that teams couldn't be drawn in a group that they're part-hosting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Would love if we got the gig to host a game or two....just imagine one of the big guns like Brazil etc.. in the aviva.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting Brazil....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Would love if we got the gig to host a game or two....just imagine one of the big guns like Brazil etc.. in the aviva.

Unlikely to happen in the European Championships :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Dun laoire wrote: »

Brazil in the Euros? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

kensutz wrote: »
    A fair few of the Portuguese team were born in Brazil ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

kensutz wrote: »

That will be the next thing Platini will want, a couple of guest team's invited.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That will be the next thing Platini will want, a couple of guest team's invited.

Copa America often has Teams from North America play (The US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras) as well as Japan. So could happen :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I dont see any problem with it provided, as has been said several times, the games are held in cities fairly close to one another.

I doubt it will even be the whole of Europe. I'd expect them to split it into chunks and alternate between them for each tournament. For example, Ireland, UK, France, Spain and Portugal as one chunk, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy as another, and so on.

The only real problem I can see would be Iceland as that is a bit isolated. Unless they got an entire group and that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I really like the idea. I don't see why anyone thinks that groups won't based in cities close to each other. Some people are just too quick to knock anything new.

I'd imagine you could have a 'celtic' group with Dublin, Cardiff and Scotland probably hosting one group and similar across Europe. Europe is so accessible now, it makes so much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    I really like the idea. I don't see why anyone thinks that groups won't based in cities close to each other. Some people are just too quick to knock anything new.

I'd imagine you could have a 'celtic' group with Dublin, Cardiff and Scotland probably hosting one group and similar across Europe. Europe is so accessible now, it makes so much sense.

I think it's more Platini says something it must be wrong. Never really understood what so many people seem to have against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think it could be a fantastic idea if done properly.6 groups in the first round so you could base the first round out of 6 countries with 2 stadiums per country.Pair countries that are close together so when the knockout stages come there would be minimal travelling for fans.I dont see why people are complaining it will ruin the atmosphere,for 2012 some countries had to travel between Ukraine/Poland for just one game,with a tightknit group of countries there would be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Dublin gets two games in the 24 team Euro 2020. The city is putting on a show as fans enjoy Iceland v Slovakia and Denmark v Estonia. Classics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I definitely think there is merit in this idea. With the tournament expanded the cost for any one country staging it would be huge. Associations and clubs would be taking on huge debts just for the 'honour' of staging the Euros. Just look at Portugal...

This way countries, like Ireland, would get the chance to host games using the developed stadia they already have. Money comes in without a huge amount going out. Win win. Yes- some countries would have the advantage of their games being staged in their 'hub'- but host countries have always had that.

As for tradition- the Euros started as two legged games culminating in only the semis and final being played in a host nation. This would just be another evolution.

Yes- we would lose the intense carnival atmosphere created by having all the countries in one place- but if continue as we are now only the same 5 or 6 countries would ever have the capability of hosting an expanded tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So a country would get a group each? Is that the plan? Then the following rounds hosted all over the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I actually think it's a sensible idea.

It means countries don't have to spend huge money in building new stadiums and other infrastructure. Europe has more than enough stadiums to cope with a competition of 24 teams.

All of the games could be played in +45,000 seater stadiums. Five of the eight venues used in Euro 2012 had a capacity of 40k or less.

More tickets in theory means that prices won't be as high for group games. Spreading matches out also means hotels and transport wont be as expensive.

The only negative I can see is that the identity would be affected, in that it's not the Poland&Ukraine tournament. But the identities of the cities would then take the place of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It had to be done because they're isn't many places which can hold a 24 team tournament. It has to be done because Platini had ruined the European Championships by making it a 24 team tournament instead of 16. It's being hailed as a great idea and innovative, but tbh, they had no choice. They didn't have one decent bid.

Turkey seemed like a decent bid but they also want the Olympics the same year. There's a handful of countries who can put on a tournament that size without huge investment in facilities and infrastructure but 24 teams is a massive undertaking.

If it's a success though (and I think it will be) then I'd imagine that it will be how most Euro tournaments look from then onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Uefa confirm that 2020 Euros will take place in 13 cities, one stadium per city. Countries can bid to host group matches and/or SF and final

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Semi-finals and final to take place in the same city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

opr wrote: »
    Uefa confirm that 2020 Euros will take place in 13 cities, one stadium per city. Countries can bid to host group matches and/or SF and final

Opr

So with 13 cities, it would probably mean that each group will have 2 host cities, with the knock phase being spread out among the 13 cities.

Sounds good, as long as they don't have teams travelling from one side of Europe to the next for group games.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

From a fans point of view here's the cities I'd like to see.

Dublin, London, Lisbon, Madrid, Amsterdam, Brussels Stockholm, Oslo, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Rome. the 12 cities hosting group games etc. Easy to get two cities close together (relatively speaking).

The semis and final to be played in Munich.

I've left out France as they host 2016 and Russia due to hosting the 2018 world cup!

I get the feeling that Dublin will definitely be on the list...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

TaosHum wrote: »
    So with 13 cities, it would probably mean that each group will have 2 host cities, with the knock phase being spread out among the 13 cities.

Sounds good, as long as they don't have teams travelling from one side of Europe to the next for group games.

Is it going to be 13 different countries or 13 different cities? If it was based on capacity (and not duplicating countries) then you would b looking at:
    1. Barcelona (Probable Finals City)
    2. London
    3. Dublin
    4. Paris
    5. Dortmund
    6. Milan
    7. Istanbul
    8. Moscow
    9. Cardiff
    10. Athens
    11. Kiev
    12. Edinburgh
    More likely to be based on populous and income, so:
    1. London
    2. Berlin
    3. Madrid
    4. Rome
    5. Paris
    6. Budapest
    7. Bucharest
    8. Barcelona
    9. Munich
    10. Milan
    11. Athens
    12. Stockholm
    Whatever way, it can be garunteed that there will only be one city represented in the UK and Ireland region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

So how exactly is this going to work? Dublin applies to be host and gets it. Then Ireland fail to qualify and we're left hosting Romania v Bulgaria group game at Lansdowne in front of about 5,000 people?

Even if Ireland qualify will Dublin automatically host their games? Seems like it'll be giving us (and a lot of other countries ) and unfair advantage. Bad enough that one or two countries has home advantage in a finals, but 12/13 out of 24?

The only way I could see it working fairly is if no country is allowed play in one of their own cities (but of course I imagine the whole point of this format is precisely to give "home" games to host cities.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Is it going to be 13 different countries or 13 different cities? If it was based on capacity (and not duplicating countries) then you would b looking at:
    1. Barcelona (Probable Finals City)
    2. London
    3. Dublin
    4. Paris
    5. Dortmund
    6. Milan
    7. Istanbul
    8. Moscow
    9. Cardiff
    10. Athens
    11. Kiev
    12. Edinburgh
    More likely to be based on populous and income, so:
    1. London
    2. Berlin
    3. Madrid
    4. Rome
    5. Paris
    6. Budapest
    7. Bucharest
    8. Barcelona
    9. Munich
    10. Milan
    11. Athens
    12. Stockholm
    Whatever way, it can be garunteed that there will only be one city represented in the UK and Ireland region.

Yeah, they are saying cities. But with the whole point of doing this being to spread the Championships around Europe, I think they will do their best to bring it to 13 countries if possible.

roanoke wrote: »
    So how exactly is this going to work? Dublin applies to be host and gets it. Then Ireland fail to qualify and we're left hosting Romania v Bulgaria group game at Lansdowne in front of about 5,000 people?

Even if Ireland qualify will Dublin automatically host their games? Seems like it'll be giving us (and a lot of other countries ) and unfair advantage. Bad enough that one or two countries has home advantage in a finals, but 12/13 out of 24?

The only way I could see it working fairly is if no country is allowed play in one of their own cities (but of course I imagine the whole point of this format is precisely to give "home" games to host cities.)

I don't think teams will play 'home' games in their home country. I also don't think that there will be any problems getting full houses everywhere. Why would there be? If anything it makes it more likely games will sell out because instead of the host country having 20-30 matches to sell out there's likely only two.

If Dublin couldn't sell out the Aviva for any game it hosted then that's a damning indictment on the state of the game in this country, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Tickets will probably go on sale for venues before the draw is decided. People will put their name down and pay in the hope they get to see the likes of Spain, Germany, England etc.
    Seen as they've already paid theyll go regardless or sell on to someone who does want to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Heard on the radio yesterday that host cities need to have 2 airports

• Advertisement

Grand so, we have Dublin Airport and Weston :)

No problem. FAI will just repeat their Euro 2008 trick and take UEFA to an empty field in the middle of nowhere and say "this is where the airport will be".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Or two terminals

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/european/2013/0124/364334-uefa-make-airport-access-key-for-euro-2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Madrid out too then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Piece from the Indo
    UEFA has confirmed that the semi-finals and final of the Euro 2020 will all be played at the same stadium.

The climax of the tournament, which will be played in 13 countries across Europe, is expected to attract bids from London, Rome, Berlin, Madrid and Istanbul.

Host countries will not qualify automatically but if they do, their national team will be guaranteed to play at least two of the three group matches at home, UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino told a news conference in Nyon, Switzerland, today.

Dublin is amongst the cities tipped to host group games.

Infantino said: "The matches of the Euro will be split into 13 packages - 12 cities who will have three group stage matches and one knock-out round match and one city will host the two semi-finals and final.

"There will be only one venue per country, and it means the semi-finals and final will be played in the same venue."

Istanbul is the favourite for the final - but only if it loses its bid for the 2020 Olympics.

UEFA president Michel Platini has already said he would back the Turkish city and he confirmed his position again today.

He said: "That would be my vote, but if they get the Olympic Games it's out of the question that they could stage the Euros or a match."

UEFA also confirmed that two cities with smaller-capacity stadiums will be among the 13 chosen in an effort to allow smaller countries to enter the bidding - only 21 of the 53 UEFA member nations have stadiums of 50,000 or more.

Two host cities can have a stadium capacity as low as 30,000, that 10 stadiums will have a 50,000 minimum capacity and four of those hosting the quarter-finals to have grounds of at least 60,000.

The stadium that hosts the two semi-finals and final will have to be able to seat more than 70,000 fans.

Dublin, Cardiff and Glasgow are all expected to bid to host group matches at Euro 2020.

The English Football Association will also bid for group matches and quarter-finals if its final bid for Wembley is unsuccessful.

The bidding requirements will be decided at a meeting of UEFA's executive committee on March 28. It is expected that bidding cities will have to provide an airport with two terminals or two different airports in order to keep rival fans apart - something that could pose a problem for Cardiff.

Infantino also confirmed that no national team will be qualified automatically for the tournament, and there will be a maximum of two host teams per group.

He said the allocation of hosting teams will take travel distances into account with a maximum flight time of two hours where possible.

A decision on the host cities will be taken in September next year.

UEFA also confirmed the 10 venues for Euro 2016 as Bordeaux, Lens, Lille, Lyon, Marseille, Nice, Paris, Saint-Denis (Stade de France), Saint-Etienne and Toulouse.

Platini also confirmed that he has been asked by a number of European associations to stand for the FIFA presidency in 2015.

He said: "Yesterday questions were asked and I told them I needed time and that I would make a decision over the course of this year."

- Martyn Ziegler

source

Couple of interesting points bolded by me.

Pretty impossible how they can guarantee two of three host games in the country of that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

SantryRed wrote: »
    Pretty impossible how they can guarantee two of three host games in the country of that team.

They can do the finals draw such that only 2 confirmed hosts can be in the one group, and also pair the hosts geographically. Its not ideal by any means but by no means impossible.

I do think people underestimate how difficult it will be to sell tickets in advance though especially at the prices UEFA charge. It was €130 a pop in Poland (so prob €150+ come 2020), I don't think many will be buying at that price when you risk getting Slovenia v Norway. The UEFA Cup Final Porto v Braga was far from a sellout which kinda kyboshes the "we'll pay to see anything with a fancy tag on it" theory.

Personally I still reckon theres a decent chance that when Tokyo gets awarded the 2020 Olympics in September this year that UEFA announce that Euro2020 will be hosted exclusively by Turkey and that the multi-city idea is pushed back to 2024 (and then quietly forgotten about).

I really reckon that if this plan takes off that it will be the earlier suggestion I read about the 12 seeded teams getting to host the group games. It's the only format I've heard that sounds like it makes any sense.

I suspect UEFA are essentially trying to create a sort of hybrid between the Champions League format and the European Championships format that existed between 1960-1976, with a long term view of turning the Euros into a purely home and away groups and legs tournament with a neutral final.

Whatever is going though I really can't see this idea of cities being selected and then qualified teams just being thrown randomly around Europe to play in these venues ever taking off, especially if one of the cities is from a country that doesn't even qualify. Each game they have will be like a constant reminder of "oh that's right, you didn't qualify did you!". Rather than a reason for celebration the games will just seem like a constant downer.

It will be very messy if they try to insure the host counties play two games at home. They'll need to come up with a good seeding arrangement to make it run somewhat smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

They can do the finals draw such that only 2 confirmed hosts can be in the one group, and also pair the hosts geographically. Its not ideal by any means but by no means impossible.

I do think people underestimate how difficult it will be to sell tickets in advance though especially at the prices UEFA charge. It was €130 a pop in Poland (so prob €150+ come 2020), I don't think many will be buying at that price when you risk getting Slovenia v Norway. The UEFA Cup Final Porto v Braga was far from a sellout which kinda kyboshes the "we'll pay to see anything with a fancy tag on it" theory.

Personally I still reckon theres a decent chance that when Tokyo gets awarded the 2020 Olympics in September this year that UEFA announce that Euro2020 will be hosted exclusively by Turkey and that the multi-city idea is pushed back to 2024 (and then quietly forgotten about).

Cheapest ticket was 30e. If it came here, tickets would sell easily.

bren2001 wrote: »

Europa League didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yeah but nobody gives a damn in Ireland/UK about the Europa League. This all depends anyway, if there's a big team involved it'll be close to a full house. I think it's a good idea anyway, it's not as if this is gonna be the last ever football tournament so no harm trying something new. The game would never evolve if risk were not taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

All this ****ing hassle for a terrible idea... just let the Germans host it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Meh, I don't see what the big deal is.

I would have imagined traveling from New York to Orlando in 94 was a bigger hassle than traveling around a couple of cities in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

SantryRed wrote: »
    Europa League didn't

Big difference between a single club and a whole country...

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »

Majority of tickets were in the €130 bracket though. From memory cheaper tickets numbers were 3500 to each participant country and 1000 to locals, so only 8000 per game. All tickets at the long side of the pitch were at the highest price.
    Meh, I've my doubts about people paying that sort of money for a game when they don't know who will be playing, or when it gets confirmed as Bulgaria v Slovakia. We aren't quite as junket loving as is made out, witness some of the price reductions the rugby people have had to have despite being in their golden era.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

My semi-final ticket (category 3) was €45, I think category 2 was €70 and I can't remember what category 1 was, so I don't know where you're getting that the majority of tickets were €130!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Majority of tickets were in the €130 bracket though. From memory cheaper tickets numbers were 3500 to each participant country and 1000 to locals, so only 8000 per game. All tickets at the long side of the pitch were at the highest price.
    Meh, I've my doubts about people paying that sort of money for a game when they don't know who will be playing, or when it gets confirmed as Bulgaria v Slovakia. We aren't quite as junket loving as is made out, witness some of the price reductions the rugby people have had to have despite being in their golden era.

Well I went to all three games, got 3 category 2 tickets (70) and sat in the upper tier pitch side twice, we must of been at different tournaments or you need to go to the doctor to get your memory checked.

Yeah, if we got Bulgaria Slovakia would many Irish go to it? Maybe not, a lot will buy tickets before in hope and a lot of touts. But the focus isn't to get 50,000 Irish in the ground, I am sure plenty Bulgarian and Slovaks would love to go.

Or we could end up with Germany vs Spain. It's a risk every country is going to have to take. With 24 teams involved it's unlikely we wont get at least one decent side if we're involved in the hosting.

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    My semi-final ticket (category 3) was €45, I think category 2 was €70 and I can't remember what category 1 was, so I don't know where you're getting that the majority of tickets were €130!

Unfortunately the little cartoon pictures of each ground and the categories are long gone from the UEFA site, but the pic from this site gives the general layout.
    http://www.football-marketing.com/2011/02/15/uefa-announces-euro-2012-ticket-prices/

So Category 3 directly behind the goal, Category 2 from corner flag to corner flag behind the goal (excluding Category 3) and Category 1 from corner flag to corner flag the length of the pitch, so definitely Cat 1 as a majority of the ground, maybe 55/60%.
    I did get my tickets early enough (on the famous portal) so I'd concede it's perfectly plausible that they adapted the layout to make more areas Cat2/3.

Edit : Thinking about it for Gdansk my Cat1 ticket was about a metre to the left of the corner flag, must have been ripped off by UEFA going by what bren2001 said.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement