Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020

• 06-12-2012 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

From The Guardian - Uefa confirms Euro 2020 to be staged in various cities across Europe.

I think this was the proposal.
    Platini continued: "We are just thinking about it. I have said 12 or 13 host cities, it could be 24 or 32. We are not at that stage yet. It is the political decision that needs to be made. We wouldn't have to build stadiums or airports. That could be important in an economic crisis."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/30/euro-2020-12-13-countries-michel-platini

Opr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ahh sure feck the travelling fans. sure who are they anyway .:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

opr wrote: »
    From The Guardian - Uefa confirms Euro 2020 to be staged in various cities across Europe.

I think this was the proposal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/30/euro-2020-12-13-countries-michel-platini

Opr

So they are killing the spirit of another one of their competitions. Terrible idea.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Where is it confirmed? Link is just an old article with Platini saying it could happen?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Where is it confirmed? Link is just an old article with Platini saying it could happen?

On Sky Sports News

Here as well now too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/06/euro-2020-across-europe-uefa?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its not going to happen. smoke blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Leiva wrote: »
    Ahh sure feck the travelling fans. sure who are they in anyway .:rolleyes:

Who are they in? :confused:

Various cities across Europe isn't that big an issue necessarily. Consider, it is within 50km difference the distance from Turin to Palermo or London. Cities in France, Germany, England are not that far apart. It makes it more a European contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Didnt they just confirm they are thinking about it?

In the minority, but as a once off I like the idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jaysus there will be some load of Host countries automatically qualifying :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Should just be cancelled along with all international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If they had Brain among them they be dangerous. Stupid idea . Stupid stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If Ireland had qualified from their group in Poland we'd have been facing a 1,000km trip East. We were closer to fecking Calais than Donetsk.

I think it's a cracking idea, as long as they keep it fairly close together (ie, not Malaga and Stockholm). Keep it fairly close together: France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland. There'd be a great element of adventure in it then -- fans not only wondering who they'd be paired with in the knockouts, but where they'd be off to as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

What are the chances on Dublin staging a game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Meh at kite flying announcement today, 95% likely it'll end up being solo-hosted by Turkey once they lose the Olympic Bid to Tokyo next June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Yurt wrote: »
    What are the chances on Dublin staging a game ?

I'd say quite high. I imagine when they get down to sorting it all out each group stage will be based in a part of the continent. Something like Group A in Britain and Ireland, group B in the Iberian peninsula, group C in the Benelux countries and so on.

Euro 2020 sponsored by Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Bad idea off the bat if it goes ahead, 3 games in you won't know where you're going to be so say it's France Germany Austria, We have our last game in Marseille then have to travel to Hamburg

Most will fly, some will get the train but the prices will be sky high at that point so it will be financially unfeasible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

"We wouldn't have to build stadiums or airports. That could be important in an economic crisis."

I suppose travelling fans don't fall under an economic crisis. :rolleyes:
    mitosis wrote: »
    Who are they in? :confused:

Various cities across Europe isn't that big an issue necessarily. Consider, it is within 50km difference the distance from Turin to Palermo or London. Cities in France, Germany, England are not that far apart. It makes it more a European contest.

Tell that to Ryanair and the rest of 'em. They never miss an opportunity to extort money for such events.

allanb49 wrote: »
    Bad idea off the bat if it goes ahead, 3 games in you won't know where you're going to be so say it's France Germany Austria, We have our last game in Marseille then have to travel to Hamburg

Most will fly, some will get the train but the prices will be sky high at that point so it will be financially unfeasible

As I understand it in the event of that draw (France, Germany, Austria, Ireland) that the 4 nations would be expected to agree something sensible.
    Which might be 2/3 cities in Germany, or Cork and Dublin hosting all the games.
    Or Strasbourg and Frankfurt being relatively close if two countries want it.
    But not Hamburg and Marseilles.

So in theory for the group games it shouldn't be hugely different for the travelling fan than for a normal finals group.
    No-one is suggesting afaik that the group with Cyprus and Iceland should have 3 games in Larnaca and 3 in Reykavik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,368 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Israel and Kazakhstan better not get any games!

I prefer having a host nation, but hiring a camper for a few weeks and driving around Europe could be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

from PA
    UEFA will stage the Euro 2020 tournament in a number of cities across the continent, the European governing body decided on Thursday.

The decision was taken by Uefa's executive committee at a meeting in Lausanne. It means there will be no one country hosting the tournament. The Football Association has already put forward Wembley to Uefa as a possible venue for the final. The announcement will also give hope to Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland hosting some Euro 2020 matches – they too have already expressed their interest to Uefa.

Uefa's general secretary Gianni Infantino said: "Some important decisions have been taken. Uefa Euro 2020 will be staged across the continent, in various major cities, following a decision taken today. A Euro for Europe follows an initial idea by Uefa president Michel Platini. The response has been extremely positive from all the national associations."

Turkey had initially bid to host Euro 2020 and the country's Uefa vice-president Senes Erzik opposed the decision, Infantino confirmed.

The format and number of cities that will be involved in the tournament will be decided by Uefa's national teams committee. Infantino said the bidding process for the host cities would start in March and would take a year with decisions made in the spring of 2014. Uefa also decided that the 2013-14 European women's under-17 tournament will be hosted in England.

• Advertisement

its a terrible idea.

I like the fact that a single host city gets really behind the tournament and sets its own vibe and atmosphere which usually goes hand in hand with that particular countries culture, you lose this,or dilute it down at best when multiple host cities involved.

fans wont be bedded into a single venue or take over a single city (ala the Irish in Poznan/Gdansk :D) and lots of expensive travelling imo.

why fix what's not broken ?

edit: ohh could we be seeing this as an ice breaker for Ireland, Wales & Scotland as possible hosts?

UEFA are led by greed, why else would they increase the number of teams to 24, and therefore reduce the number of countries who could host it by themselves. It will water it down further, just like they have done with the European Cup, where it actually used to be a competition for Champions, its now for teams who could finish in the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Western Europe hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Platini just isn't very intelligent at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Knowing UEFA, some team is going to get screwed over having a game in Dublin and then another game three days later in Istanbul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

dooferoaks wrote: »
    UEFA are led by greed, why else would they increase the number of teams to 24, and therefore reduce the number of countries who could host it by themselves. It will water it down further, just like they have done with the European Cup, where it actually used to be a competition for Champions, its now for teams who could finish in the top 4.

This.

It's all about the money. They will make a fortune from what ever countries are interested in hosting the games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So more bribery in order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think it's a brilliant idea. Countries will still be based in individual cities and I'm sure (as mentioned earlier) you'll have groups in nearby countries, so Group A in London & Paris, Group B maybe Stockholm & Copenhagen, Group C in Lisbon & Madrid, Group D Dublin & Glasgow etc, etc.

As someone who looked into trying to get from Warsaw to Donetsk in the Summer to watch different games, having access to continent-wide rail and air transport will make the whole thing incredibly easy and I'd imagine cheaper than it currently is.

And if your team doesn't qualify you can go anywhere in Europe for your holidays and watch the tournament. Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Hahah Dublin the city no fan will want to have their teams matches held in.

• Advertisement

EdenHazard wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Really? Considering feedback of the Europa League final was very good to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its a sensible idea for 2020 where there is no standout bidder.

whether it will continue beyond then we will see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Wouldnt like this.. it breaks a 50 odd year long tradition..

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

It's a shocking idea and NOT fair on the fans!
    Not only will the tournament suffer but the lack of each countries fans at their knock out games will be unreal and ruin any atmosphere!

This is all because Turkey have the Olympic bid in and cant host both at the same time. And because Platini (winter world cup, 64 team champions league idea man) expanded the ****ing tournament from 16 to 24...

Italy are well able to host it, but didnt get the votes cause there stadia is new and shiney.

UEFA/FIFA are just a pack of old hat ****!

R.I.P Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

It'll remove the whole festival atmosphere of the big tournament. I really hope this is a once off, although I can see Platini going for an Asain contenent world cup, South American world cup etc.. When he takes over FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The expansion is already ruining the tournament and it hasnt even started yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Did they have any other choice? I don't think there was a decent bid out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

if it was managed correctly it wouldn't result in any more travel than occured to teams in this year's Euros or some recent World Cups, 1994 or 2002 for example.

Now that the tournament has been expanded to 24 teams it becomes harder for a single country to host the entire tournament. It also gives opportunities for smaller countries to get involved, which they would never have been able to before.

I really don't understand why anyone would give out about this - it all makes perfect sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like to stay open minded on things like this but my gut feeling is this will be a bad idea.

I like a tournament to have a vibe from the area it's in. Look at the great energy that enveloped London with the Olympics it held this year. Would it have been quite as good if cities like Paris and Rome had portions of the Games too? I think not. In fact, there would probably have been sniping and criticism over the different themes and ideas of the different regions.

I think the great thing about sports tournaments is being able to showcase an area to the world and the two-way bond that develops between visitors and hosts. That would be diluted, watered down under this UEFA scheme as far as I can see.

I can't say I'm surprised though because football under FIFA and UEFA has increasingly become more about money - under the guise of innovation and modernity - than about the traditions that underpin what makes the sport special.

Leiva wrote: »
    Why?

In fairness we are one of the more inaccessible parts of Europe, as a continental European your only option is basically to fly into Dublin (Belfast at a push). Islands are generally a pain to get to as you can't fly to the cheap airport 100 miles away in the neighbouring country and then get a train.
    And the weather is crap even in summer, and we don't have Poland/Ukraines advantage of being cheap as chips.

If I was a football fan from any one of about 30 countries stretching from Spain in the south to Denmark in the North and over to Romania/Hungary in the east, then Ireland wouldn't be particularly high on my 'oh goodie, look where we've been drawn' list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

In fairness we are one of the more inaccessible parts of Europe, as a continental European your only option is basically to fly into Dublin (Belfast at a push). Islands are generally a pain to get to as you can't fly to the cheap airport 100 miles away in the neighbouring country and then get a train.
    And the weather is crap even in summer, and we don't have Poland/Ukraines advantage of being cheap as chips.

If I was a football fan from any one of about 30 countries stretching from Spain in the south to Denmark in the North and over to Romania/Hungary in the east, then Ireland wouldn't be particularly high on my 'oh goodie, look where we've been drawn' list.

Also don't forget that Dublin is just shít in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great idea if they plan it so the host cities are in close proximity. You'd have a belter of an interrail-style four week holiday and see a large chunk of Europe while watching football.

Happy days.
    R.I.P Football.

Ah yes, because amongst everything else, this is the final nail in the coffin.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Great idea if they plan it so the host cities are in close proximity. You'd have a belter of an interrail-style four week holiday and see a large chunk of Europe while watching football.

Happy days.

I assume that's exactly how it will be planned - with Groups based in two reasonably nearby cities and those groups being spread across the Continent so that no one should be any significant distance away from a host city. For fans this is a fantastic turn of events and an extremely rare case of UEFA making a decision which actually makes a huge amount of sense.

It's a shocking idea and NOT fair on the fans!
    Not only will the tournament suffer but the lack of each countries fans at their knock out games will be unreal and ruin any atmosphere!

Why will there be a lack of each countries fans their knock out games? It won't be any different in that regard to how it is today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm failing to see why people are getting so outraged about this and how it's greedy and ant- fans etc.

Most of developed Europe has been tapped whne it comes to hosting the European Championships, they have all done it, England Germany, France, Bel\Ned etc

And when all of the above are no longer interested you are left with silly bids like Eire, Scotland and wales, or bids from locations that may struggle to gets things done on time, Turkey, Georgia/Azerbajain

As has been pointed out already it cannot be any worse that having to go to games as far away as Donetsk and then having you next one in Warsaw.

As has been pointed out already it cannot be any worse that having to go to games as far away as Donetsk and then having you next one in Warsaw.

Not sure if I mentioned this yesterday in my first post but I was based in Warsaw during the Euros and was quoted £700 for a return flight from there to see England vs France in Donetsk.

Munich to Lisbon or Stockholm to Dublin won't be like that as there will be plenty of different travel options available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If the groups are groups of four it's very possible that each group will have 2 stadia between them, and thus, one city. Most big cities will easily be able to accommodate this. Even if it's between 2 cities, e.g. Monaco and Marseille, Turin & Milan, Amsterdam & Rotterdam, etc., I think it would be an excellent idea.

I very much doubt, for all their shortcomings, UEFA would put one team playing in Copenhagen one day, and Lisbon 4 days later. If it is done properly, it would be an excellent idea imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Terrible idea. It also leaves the thing wide open to hooliganism due to a lack of pre intelligence regarding who is coming to what country. Imagine a Germany vs Turkey quarter final is to be played in Athens with five days notice for the local authorities- the Germans hate the Turks, the Turks hate the Greeks, and the Greeks will be spoiling for a fight with the pair of them. Same story if a knock out involved Bosnia vs Croatia in Belgrade.

Not to mention unfair home crowd advantages. Some poorer countries struggle to get more than a few thousand fans to a tournament held in a single country. Is France vs Bulgaria held in Germany really fair in terms of crowd advantage?

Like always I can see this as being one off those plans designed to give the benefits to the traditional football powers. What happened to our bid anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Terrible idea. It also leaves the thing wide open to hooliganism due to a lack of pre intelligence regarding who is coming to what country. Imagine a Germany vs Turkey quarter final is to be played in Athens with five days notice for the local authorities- the Germans hate the Turks, the Turks hate the Greeks, and the Greeks will be spoiling for a fight with the pair of them. Same story if a knock out involved Bosnia vs Croatia in Belgrade.

Not to mention unfair home crowd advantages. Some poorer countries struggle to get more than a few thousand fans to a tournament held in a single country. Is France vs Bulgaria held in Germany really fair in terms of crowd advantage?

Like always I can see this as being one off those plans designed to give the benefits to the traditional football powers. What happened to our bid anyway?

UEFA may appear foolish at times, but they are not retarded. The host cities will be pre-determined, but I imagine they will wait until after the draw is made to decide what city hosts what group, and what city hosts what prospective 2nd round tie.

Almost all of the poorer countries in Europe have a) a percentage of middle-class/wealthy people that would be more than sufficient to fill a football stadium and b) a huge amount of migrants spread out around Europe.

I would bet that France vs Bulgaria group game in Germany would have more Bulgarian fans than French at it.

I prefer the traditional, one or two country system (I was at the Euros and had a fantastic time, none of it down to pitch-related matters) but as an alternative to having games in Asia, the deepest, darkest parts of the former Soviet bloc or in Thurles, it seems to me like a good way to go.

Again, what part of this doesn't apply now? Bigger countries have bigger fanbases. That happened in 2004, 2008 and will happen in 2020.

There won't be five days notice. The draw will be made the year before like it always is, and every possible scenario will be run through. This is the European Championship, not the FA Cup.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement