Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As it is a free transfer and seeing as we really don't know what to expect from Wesley but Watkins needs competition while Davis could massively benefit from a loan and first team football, a move for King could make a lot of sense all round.

Reports today saying Norwich and Celtic also in for him and that he was on 45k at Everton. that is a wage I could see Villa being happy enough to give him considering he is free and out of those teams Villa probably would be the favorites if he is up for a challenge and does not want to be the big fish in a smaller pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

As it is a free transfer and seeing as we really don't know what to expect from Wesley but Watkins needs competition while Davis could massively benefit from a loan and first team football, a move for King could make a lot of sense all round.

Reports today saying Norwich and Celtic also in for him and that he was on 45k at Everton. that is a wage I could see Villa being happy enough to give him considering he is free and out of those teams Villa probably would be the favorites if he is up for a challenge and does not want to be the big fish in a smaller pond.

It depends on his own motivations. If it's money, then I'm sure we could offer more than the others. If it's playing time then we are probably in the weakest position - he would definitely be starting from the position of being Ollie's backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It depends on his own motivations. If it's money, then I'm sure we could offer more than the others. If it's playing time then we are probably in the weakest position - he would definitely be starting from the position of being Ollie's backup.

And would have pretty much no chance of ever usurping him. Ollie is just better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I hope we stay miles away from King. This is a guy who has barely played in over a year and in reality was a pretty average player in the first place.

Need to bring in better then him as surely we have to have 2 quality strikers available in order to change formations at some stage?

Also, a long term injury to Watkins would leave us badly found out.

I dount we are interested really as it doesnt match our current and much better transfer approach of buying younger players with more potential.

CucaFace wrote: »
    I hope we stay miles away from King. This is a guy who has barely played in over a year and in reality was a pretty average player in the first place.

Need to bring in better then him as surely we have to have 2 quality strikers available in order to change formations at some stage?

Also, a long term injury to Watkins would leave us badly found out.

I dount we are interested really as it doesnt match our current and much better transfer approach of buying younger players with more potential.

We’ve a 20+ million striker when we get him back to fitness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

CSF wrote: »
    We’ve a 20+ million striker when we get him back to fitness

He was £20 million two years ago, before a massive cruciate knee ligament injury. His value hasn't held after that.

I don't think King is the answer either.

Esse85 wrote: »
    He was £20 million two years ago, before a massive cruciate knee ligament injury. His value hasn't held after that.

I don't think King is the answer either.

It probably hasn’t held, but he’s young enough that you shouldn’t expect it to destroy his future. He’ll be back, and given the success rate of recent signings who didn’t hit the ground running, I’m genuinely expecting him to prove to have been a good signing also.

I also rate Keinan as a 15 minute impact option when we need to change shape more than others on here. And eh I don’t see us playing 2 up top to start games regardless. Wide players will continue to be the partners for Watkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Buendia deal officially completed. Looking forward to seeing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭pavb2

JPA wrote: »
    Buendia deal officially completed. Looking forward to seeing him.

Yes and Hopefully Sanson back from injury and a pre-season under his belt will be like a new signing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

If we play Buendia in the Barkley role and sign Sarr or Ward Prowse as an upgrade to Nakamba, then we could see Sanson, McGinn and Luiz fighting over one spot.

Panrich wrote: »
    If we play Buendia in the Barkley role and sign Sarr or Ward Prowse as an upgrade to Nakamba, then we could see Sanson, McGinn and Luiz fighting over one spot.

Buendia and Sarr both are usually considered right wingers so I doubt they would be replacements for Barkely or Nakamba.

Beundia on the right, Grealish on the left with McGinn between them AMC. then most likely Luiz plus one in the center. If someone like Ward Prowse was signed then that one would certainly be him. Sanson and Nakamba would be backup for those two while Carney could be backup for McGinn while Grealish and Buendia can also play that role.

Watkins

--Grealish---McGinn---Beundia

Luiz
    Prowse

I am not that confident that Southampton would be willing to let JWP go for a non crazy fee though so it will be interesting to see what other targets they may have lined up. He is the standard they should be looking at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭pavb2

The other player I’d forgotten about is Indiana Vassilev spent last season on loan at Burton and Cheltenham. He’s 20 and whenever He’s come on as sub for Villa he’s always looked a handful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Think he had 2 disappointing loan spells, wasn't up to League 1 and when we dropped him down to League 2 in January he still wasn't up to much

Buendia and Sarr both are usually considered right wingers so I doubt they would be replacements for Barkely or Nakamba.

Beundia on the right, Grealish on the left with McGinn between them AMC. then most likely Luiz plus one in the center. If someone like Ward Prowse was signed then that one would certainly be him. Sanson and Nakamba would be backup for those two while Carney could be backup for McGinn while Grealish and Buendia can also play that role.

Watkins

--Grealish---McGinn---Beundia

Luiz
    Prowse

I am not that confident that Southampton would be willing to let JWP go for a non crazy fee though so it will be interesting to see what other targets they may have lined up. He is the standard they should be looking at though.

Talk of Pape Matar Sarr from Metz, a DM, not the Watford Sarr.

He is only 18 so I don't see him coming in and starting for a while, if it was to happen.

Talk of Pape Matar Sarr from Metz, a DM, not the Watford Sarr.

He is only 18 so I don't see him coming in and starting for a while, if it was to happen.

Ahh yes (I weirdly even mentioned him being linked about 2 weeks back). If there was such a signing it would indeed be in the place of Nakamba. I've always felt Villa have benefitted a lot from Nakamba's presence in games, especially when it allowed McGinn to push forward (and us not play Barkely) but never got the impression that he was in Smith's long term plans given how often he played him.

• Advertisement

Mourinho talking up Grealish today.

Might back him to be player of the tournament.

40/1

Mourinho talking up Grealish today.

Might back him to be player of the tournament.

40/1

I don't think he will start if Southgate plays a back 3. Not the first game anyway.

I don't think he will start if Southgate plays a back 3. Not the first game anyway.

Agreed, think Southgate prefers Sterling and Rashford which is crazy.

Agreed, think Southgate prefers Sterling and Rashford which is crazy.

I don't think he knows what to do. But results are what will matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

I hope he doesn't play a min, comes back fresh as a daisy and plays out of his skin.

• Advertisement

Hourihane being linked with a move to Newcastle.

Theres 2 places reporting that Sanson might be on the way. Both of them saying he's difficult to manage which I assume means he's a bit of a boll0x behind the scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Reports of grealish training seperate to the camp. Supposedly his previous injury related but hard to know

Traore had surgery on a groin injury that he's been carrying since Jan. Still expected back for pre-season training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Ashley Young return anyone? Seems like we are interested.

36 years old next month which would make it head scratcher but on the pro side, he would be an experienced professional into the dressing room which has lost Heaton, Elmohamady and Taylor and would provide back-up to Cash and/or Targett.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

VillaMad wrote: »

36 years old next month which would make it head scratcher but on the pro side, he would be an experienced professional into the dressing room which has lost Heaton, Elmohamady and Taylor and would provide back-up to Cash and/or Targett.

I can't see him being much use on the pitch but maybe off it he would add something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not for me, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭basillarkin

you're mad

If he’s transitioning into a coaching role, grand. If he’s expecting to play a quantity of games, shouldn’t happen.

He played regularly for Inter this season while winning the league, ideal as a back up and even moreso if we have faith in one of the young lads being able to take his place the following year.

Big news this morning as it transpires that we play each team twice over the course of the season.

Watford away will be the first. 2 promoted teams in the first 3 games is rarely ideal.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Big news this morning as it transpires that we play each team twice over the course of the season.

Watford away will be the first. 2 promoted teams in the first 3 games is rarely ideal.

Title decider on the final day away to City. Have to do it the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

thAthletic wrote:
    Aston Villa have made their latest move to bolster Dean Smith’s squad ahead of the new Premier League season by submitting a bid to Arsenal for England Under-21 midfielder Emile Smith Rowe.

Villa’s offer for the 20-year-old — believed to be worth in the region of £25 million — has been rejected by the north London side, who are in the process of trying to renew the player’s contract and have no intention of selling.

No way it will happen but interesting none the less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Young signing is decent imo. He'll be a decent backup both sides and he had a lot more than I thought left in him watching him for Inter last year.

Doodee wrote: »
    No way it will happen but interesting none the less

Assuming we aren't being spoofing ***** and I've no reason to think we are being then Ward Prowse and Smith Rowe are serious statements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

https://twitter.com/jpercytelegraph/status/1405427206403280898?s=21

I actually think this is a good move. Seasoned player with a winner mentality which will benefit the dressing room, can play left or right as cover for wing backs.

Doodee wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jpercytelegraph/status/1405427206403280898?s=21

I actually think this is a good move. Seasoned player with a winner mentality which will benefit the dressing room, can play left or right as cover for wing backs.

Shame we don't play wing backs!

Went to the Bohemians pre season friendly about 11 years ago.
    He was the only villa player that didn't come over to the fans and clap them or pose for a photo after the game.

I'd imagine his wages would be high.

I dislike the guy and from a playing perspective don't feel he fits in, but for experience and to help the younger players, he could be a good fit.

Allows more money to be spent in areas of the pitch that need improvement.

Shame we don't play wing backs!

You don't think Targett and Cash are wing backs?

LeBash wrote: »
    You don't think Targett and Cash are wing backs?

No, they are full backs. Anyway, I'm just being pedantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Think we need some old pros around for when things are not going well.
    Free transfer , reported wages are not huge 30 to 40k per week.
    Dont see issue
    Inter are champions and they wanted to keep him so hes not washed up just yet

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Went to the Bohemians pre season friendly about 11 years ago.
    He was the only villa player that didn't come over to the fans and clap them or pose for a photo after the game.

I'd imagine his wages would be high.

I dislike the guy and from a playing perspective don't feel he fits in, but for experience and to help the younger players, he could be a good fit.

Allows more money to be spent in areas of the pitch that need improvement.

Just to add in Bohs won that game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭basillarkin

young as back up rb no thanks, guilbert is decent imo but cant see him waiting around to be a cash back up, these young rumors are worrying thought the club was going in a different direction, hopefully its his agent that is pushing things and not the club.

young as back up rb no thanks, guilbert is decent imo but cant see him waiting around to be a cash back up, these young rumors are worrying thought the club was going in a different direction, hopefully its his agent that is pushing things and not the club.

More LB I would of thought.

Just to add in Bohs won that game...

Yes 2-1

Does that change anything in relation to Young acting like a spoilt child to the villa fans who loved him during the MON years?

Seems like it is going to happen and soon.

• Advertisement

Double post

Why are they 'worrying'? He'll be a useful enough squad player, once season starts it'll be a footnote of discussion and is a better backup than Taylor with huge experience. The club is still going in a very good direction imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Club is viewing the loss of Elmo, Heaton and Taylor as a big change regarding levels of experience in the squad remember we have the youngest squad in the league.

Young is 35 and multiple trophy winner who can play left or right back and was played at centre back a few times by Ole.

I think he is a great addition

If we are just taking taylor's wage and giving it to Young to be a squad player who adds experience to the group then I am ok with it. That said I think it will still take time for me to get used to Young as a defender even though he has been one for a long time now.

Might not be the only one thinking of past Young though based off the Bohs conversation above. You would hope he has matured etc during the past 11 years though

Seem to remember Young had decent set piece delivery back in the day. Something we lack since Hourihane. Not sure what he's like these days.
    Always felt he was more of a left winger than left back.

Getting our knickers in a twist over a 35 year old who just won the Serie A title is OTT. I'm sure Smith and the recruitment team know what they are doing. They have gotten it right far more than they have been wrong. This is very low risk. I'll give it a chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement