Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audiobooks?

Options
  • 05-04-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, a bit of a tech dino here...

I want to start listening to some books - I have an iphone.. whats the best way to go about audiobooks for iphone?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

sporina wrote: »
    Hi folks, a bit of a tech dino here...

I want to start listening to some books - I have an iphone.. whats the best way to go about audiobooks for iphone?
    TIA

Just listening to one now as I type. Sign up to Audible, get the two free downloads and then cancel. Every now and again they'll try and tempt you back. My local library also does audible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I use audible, I find it good, £8 per month, which gets you one book, and you can buy any three books for £18 on top of that. They have other offers such as a book of the day for £3. At the moment all books are 1/2 price, which is great for cheaper books. Frequently, they'll have 2 for 1 offers, but the range of books is limited to maybe 500.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for the replies.. sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

Join your local library they are all linked together now and use borrow box for ebooks and audio books.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feichin

Hi, i'm a regular audiobook "listener"
    I'm fully up to date with Michael Connelly, Vince Flynn / Kyle Mills, David Baldaccii, John Grisham, Robert Galbraith, Lee Child, Tom Clancy and all their various characters.
    Are there any more authors in a similar vein that would be worth a listen???

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭AMTE_21

You could try George Pelecanos, was one of the writers on the Wire, also James Lee Burke, Denis Lehane, all great thrillers/crime writers.

I'd find it difficult to be absorbed in an audiobook of a novel. Audio is often an excellent alternative for short stories, when you know you can give the book 20 - 40 minutes of uninterrupted attention.

Tried listening to some longer materials when driving recently, and had to keep skipping backwards to listen again , whenever my attention was diverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feichin

Thanks for the responses.
    As regards the long or short listen, I suppose it depends on a lot of different factors.
    For me, I prefer something between 10 & 15 hours, ie, a weeks listening. I have a 1.5hr drive each way to work (pre lockdown) mostly in traffic travelling at 80 /100kph.
    It's not heavy duty stop /start driving.
    I find a novel that I can finish in a week, gives me something to look forward to each day, to see where the story is going next, and pass the time. If my attention does wander, or the road does need my full attention, it generally doesn't take too long to pick up the thread of the story again.
    I don't think shorter stories would have the same pull, and I feel could get very boring very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Audible now includes audiobooks for free. There's a very wide selection of free titles (over 7, 000 titles) and there's no limit on how many you listen to a month , it's well worth it for a tenner a month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement