Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffin Making?

Options
  • 24-07-2019 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

:) I want to make myself one. Not fussed about that usual shape. Just a rectangular 'packing case' will do. Just something they can put me in, to shift me and burn me.

Considerations that spring to mind?

1. I may not be in the best condition, by the time they find me. So; Would it be better to line out and staple gun in DPC plastic sheeting? Or, seal the joins with silicone? (I'm leaning toward the latter. Save me leaking into any ones van)

2. I'd be using 9", rough cut planks. How about the handles? How many? What of? Where? Any suggestions, please?

3. Any thoughts, in general, really.

Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

F--k the planks, Cardboard burns better and quicker. You are welcome.
    http://www.greencoffinsireland.com/all-coffins/cardboard-coffins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I Like the basic cardboard ~ fluid proofed too! And, my local place is listed.

I'll drop by there, next time I'm in town. See what they have to say.

Though, I must say; I far prefer the idea of sorting myself out ~ it grates on me, knowing I'd be paying middle men and needing to rely on them, rather than having my own box in the stable.

I just happen to make a Lot of bird nest boxes, with planks. I'm very dedicated to that / them. Just seemed a natural idea to make one for myself.

Certainly something I'll investigate though. Only, I saw willow ones, the other night? Nothing below four and a half ton?! :eek: I could make a plank one for Forty!

Ahh but what parting message would be purveyed to the mourning masses looking at a coffin made of pallets ? Think beyond the grave my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Ahh but what parting message would be purveyed to the mourning masses looking at a coffin made of pallets ? Think beyond the grave my friend.
    If you care about how people remember your funeral, save money with a pallet coffin and put it towards an open bar at the wake.

Lumen wrote: »
    If you care about how people remember your funeral, save money with a pallet coffin and put it towards an open bar at the wake.
    I would say most people with a pallet coffin want to take all money with them so a free bar would be off the scale for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Wtf ? wrote: »
    I would say most people with a pallet coffin want to take all money with them so a free bar would be off the scale for them.

WTF indeed.
    Surely taking a €40 pallet board coffin with you as opposed to a €10,000 gold plated, Eqyptian linen lined sarcophagus would point to someone who has chosen to leave it all behind?
    :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Note.

All can we keep this on track. Its a DIY project not Dr. Phil.

Thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,088 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The fancy handles are mainly decorative, but you could get some of those chromed drawer-pull handles. With some decent bolts in they would make the handles actually useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

looksee wrote: »
    The fancy handles are mainly decorative, but you could get some of those chromed drawer-pull handles. With some decent bolts in they would make the handles actually useful.

Handles are never used when subject is in residence

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Handles are never used when subject is in residence

Well yes, that's because they are mostly decorative! However in this case the coffin bearers are in significant danger of splinters so handles might be useful.

• Advertisement

Splinters?! Damn, that's a very valid point! Well played, sir! Perhaps I could get the old power plane out, for the outsides?

I'll actually be talking to a friend of mine, next week. One of the key, local 'Removal Men'. Bet he'll have some insight.

Also, last night ~ like ye do ~ I measured my face. Found a nine inch plank would lead to the lid squashing my nose! (Wonder how deep a standard coffin is, so?)

Thus, I now think I should be contacting the saw mill, rather than relying on the warped and cracked rubbish the builders merchant supplies.

Handles? I was rather thinking of hemp ropes. Poked through the sides and knotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some decent reclaimed timber might do the trick?

Life ain't always empty.

You could cut out a hole to accommodate your nose. It might be handy if they bury you before you are dead too. Though with all that soil it probably wouldn't help much. Oh yes, cremation. Oh well.

Some decent reclaimed timber might do the trick?

Be a bonus, wouldn't it? Unfortunately ~ being Leitrim ~ any spare wood gets snaffled up before ye can say 'Kindling'!

Honestly, if I could have my way? I'd have them shove me in my wheel barrow and drop me off in my Dogs graveyard. Let nature take its course.

As it is? I'm just trying to be as little bother to anyone as I can. Oh and, incidentally, lest anyone should wonder? I'm in disgustingly good health and hope to have at least another decade in me yet! I'm just realistic and enjoy making boxes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hope you don't fall out the bottom of it!

I would love to do something like this. Purely as a (slightly rude) gesture to the mad money expected from undertakers to put you in a box, drive you to the church (if that's your thing), then to the cemetery. Mad money. Well in Dublin anyway. You won't get much change out of 5k here, even if you own the plot. Might be cheaper for a cremation, don't know.

Would need a car that has fold down seats and long enough I suppose, but that's not rocket science either.

As for building one, when you figure it out PM me and make one for me! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

This reminds me of Miriam Margoyles (I think) decorating a coffin as part of an aging/death documentary. I love this idea:

https://www.funeralguide.co.uk/blog/coffin-club

Spanish; It'd be my absolute pleasure! :D

And, yes, exactly! I was talking to a friend (in New Zealand) only last night. Her mother's just succumbed to cancer. But, as I said to her; I absolutely Despise middle men!!! Leeches!

The local grave diggers are personal friends of mine. If I wanted planting? I'd square them up today. Cash in advance. Why the hell should I pay some " Funeral Director " to ring George and tell him a new hole is needed?

I saw those woven willow ones? Nothing under £470.00!!! :eek: Shuuut Uupp!!! The wood, for mine, won't even cost €40.00!!! I Love my power saw and Stanley 'Yankee' screw driver. They keep me out of all sorts of mischief.

But, anyway, yes; This is a DIY board. Who, in their right mind, as a DIYer, would think; " Hell, yeah! I'll pay some doughnut a couple of grand, for a wooden box, to stick me in and burn or bury, hours later! "

I seriously can't comprehend that mind set. Bunk beds for the kids? Where's my saw? Wooden box to rot with? Yes, please. I'd like the solid oak with the white silk lining and brass trims. That's just Wrong. Fantastic marketing. But, not for me. I do it myself ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Strangest coincidence, I was just looking at yankee screwdrivers, about 1 hour ago I opened up a job lot of old tools I picked up on ebay, there was a spiralux pam screwdriver in there. I remember my Dad had one and a yankee driver too,

In the right hands they were a serious time saver. Unfortunately I think the one have now is just a ratchet without the spiral neck.

Anyway to the point. Why would you not built this with pallets and spend nothing on it ? Do you want full length boards.

I've built a few kennels with pallets and they are rock solid,

I'm assuming you know all this anyway. but you could do this with pallets no problem.

Anyway your mindset is not all that novel, in the States it's more common than many think for people to buy their coffin.

It beats some Sun Life policy anyway, and takes a decision away from people.

Problem with pallets is the length would need to be at or close to seven foot, so a join right in the middle.

I was thinking MDF or something - discarded kitchen worktop maybe? - but rarely has more than a four foot length without a (sink, hob etc) hole in it, and wouldn't be that strong if joined by screwing through the face.

Would half inch ply be strong enough? an 8' by 4' trimmed for the top and bottom, another one plus the offcuts to do the sides, so three sheets in total - should be cheap.

12mm shuttering plywood is 22.50 euro a sheet at Goodwins inc VAT, 18mm is 29.50 which should be plenty strong. Don't need WBP, you want it to rot :)

Could economise with 18mm for the bottom, 12mm for the sides and top.

Life ain't always empty.

Yankee screwdrivers are well worth a thread in their own right! :) I googled the vast array of different numbers, before grabbing mine, off the bay. It really pays to research them, to make sure ye get the size and action ye hoping for.

Pallets? Yeah; The creamery has mountainous stacks of them, in the yard. It's now a thing, with me and my neighbour, to Always mention All those pallets, to the staff.

Works every time. They go all guarded and eyeball ye like ye sneaking a hand toward the till!

Seriously; I once had a load of nuggets delivered here. Left by my gate. On a pallet. Having used them, I ordered another load. Only, I left the empty pallet out there. Bugger only took back the empty one! :eek: If I'd suspected that, I'd have put it in the stables.

But, yeah; Pallets are like gold dust, round here. And, also, I don't drive. No way of getting them home, even if I was offered a load.

My brother's got the pallet bug now. He makes amazing things out of them! Big set of gates ye'd swear must have been craftsman made, and cost a fortune. Wish I could fine the damn photo's!

• Advertisement

HD; Yes, a sheet, or two, of ply would, quite probably, cover it. Only thing is; Burning it? I'm no expert. But, don't they use some glues which one wouldn't want going up the chimney?

Besides which, I'm practically known as The Mad Plank Man. I'm never happy without planks to hand. I have an obsession with making nest boxes, for starlings, see?

Look; I just stepped into my kitchen and grabbed this shot:

P7250414-2-tn.jpg
    All made out of three, 9" Deal planks. I have One pallet knocking about. I'll strip that down to make the tops. But, yeah, I'm pretty desperate for more pallets, just to use for my box tops. Just can't get hold of the things. End up buying 4" planks :(

Anyway, in my experience? Planks take a screw better than ply does. I like planks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I had to buy a coffin one time and the woman I was dealing with was showing me a number of them. I asked about the cheapest one on showed and she snorted at me derisively,

'You don't want that old tat, the arse will be out of it in a week'.

I wasn't sure whether to appreciate the tip or not.

Stigura this has all brought it back to me about when I found a yankee screwdriver in my grandad's dark and slightly smelly corrugated-iron-sealed-with-tar shed, 1978, and he let me put lots of screws into a piece of scrap wood, then I found out what a knot was when it wouldn't go in :)

Nice picture but a dead body is heavier than a lot of people think, so the bottom of this thing is going to have to be sturdy.

I think most non-WBP ply is set with PVA glue, which isn't that environmentally unfriendly, I think? The equivalent in solid timber is probably 1" at least, which will be hard to find.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Box sides are made from 8 panels.

Top , end , head sides, torso sides, knee sides.

Bottom made from diagonal timber nothing fancy held in with a lip from the side panels. Then the top.

All this could be made from pallet or Reclaimed timber.

Think gold rush era boxes. Can be done easily.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stigura wrote: »
    I saw those woven willow ones? Nothing under £470.00!!! :eek: Shuuut Uupp!!! The wood, for mine, won't even cost €40.00!!! I Love my power saw and Stanley 'Yankee' screw driver. They keep me out of all sorts of mischief.

I was quoted over 2k to put my late mother in a woven willow casket.

"They're all the rage" he said, "very environmentally friendly"

I declined.

/strangest thread I've read in a long time.

I dealt with a funeral and I didn't think the cost was outrageous. However the subsequent headstone was daylight robbery.

Purchased coffins are desperately tacky looking though, all that high shine veneer and nasty plastic fabric. Cardboard seems like the logical alternative, at least it is honest.

Surely if you wanted to make a coffin of pallet wood you would make 'sheets' of timber with staggered joins, then assemble it. If you did want to use 9inch planks presumably the lid could have a lip to give it the extra depth?

listermint wrote: »
    Think gold rush era boxes. Can be done easily.

That's precisely what I Am thinking about ;) None of this lozenge shaped, halloween nonsense, hand crafted by a Master Joiner. It's just a box, to keep my stinking corpse from frightening the children or dripping all over my mates boots or horse box, till he can drop me off at the smoker.

Packing crate, basically. As stated, at the start; My only concerns are to make it with those who'll have to handle it in mind. Thus, I'm pondering caulking any joints. And the positioning, and number, of ~ probably rope ~ handles.

looksee wrote: »
    I dealt with a funeral and I didn't think the cost was outrageous. However the subsequent headstone was daylight robbery.

I make my own grave stones! :P (He thinks I'm bloody kidding, look!) Am I hell!

P7250415tn.jpg
    There ye go! Dog sized grave stones. All my own work :D Must say though; The computer cut little plaques to go on them cost a whack!

Come on though, people. This is a Do It Yeself board, and all we're getting is how much ye paid some other dilbert to do it for ye. And, 'What a bizarre thread!'

Where's the great spirit of 'Just hold my beer, while I get my tools out'? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if your going down the pallet route . look at plaster boards pallets. they are way longer almost 8 foot boards on them and only a few cross pieces in the middle. great for any diy work

great upbeat thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How about incorporating two handle-joists? Get the coffin bearers to cut them off at the graveside with battery circular saws, synchronized and ceremonial like.

Then the rest of the structure can be super light weight. Pallets or whatever.

Or a sling on poles, as used in the Bataan Death March.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litter_(vehicle)

Advertisement