Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you get your drinking water?

• 23-07-2019 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I tried a different forum but no response.

I'm not a fan of the tap here and I don't want to buy bottled.

Those here that don't do either of the above, what do you do?

I'm thinking some kind of filter for the tap but what type?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I blast myself with piss in a perpetual cycle of hydration

When I first moved to Dublin, I couldn't drink the water. I could smell the chlorine, and it made me gag. Growing up, and in school, our water came from a well. The very moment I tasted chlorine in water my reaction was to get rid of it.

I've since gotten used to it. Now I can't tell the difference. Has anyone else experienced this or was it my imagination?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I drink the tap stuff. It's grand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

From the tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I won a renewel water filter yoke. It's actually great. I hate the tap water and I felt guilty as bejaysus with bottled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Britta filter jug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Water filter in the office. I fill a bottle home and take off home each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Tap water or sparkling for me. When I drink plain bottled water it tastes like something's missing.

Tap water or sparkling for me. When I drink plain bottled water it tastes like something's missing.

Chlorine and trace compounds from urban faecal matter, presumably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

When I first moved to Dublin, I couldn't drink the water. I could smell the chlorine, and it made me gag. Growing up, and in school, our water came from a well. The very moment I tasted chlorine in water my reaction was to get rid of it.

I've since gotten used to it. Now I can't tell the difference. Has anyone else experienced this or was it my imagination?

As you know, I didn't grow up 100 miles (160km for the kids) from you. We had a rural group scheme. All run by local volunteers. The water was to die for. After I moved to England I didn't drink water or tea for a year. No wonder I turned into a pisshead. Supplied by Sligo CoCo / Irish water now. Whenever I get a chance I go up to the butt of Ben Bulben and fill 5 litres out of one of many streams. I'm told by the locals that it gets its flavour from thousands of years of sheep carcasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You weren't imagining it, I get the same smell if I leave the tap running for a few minutes. The water in D15 is foul, so we end up buying bottled water instead, which environmentally is crap, but at least we can drink it.

Zaph wrote: »
    You weren't imagining it, I get the same smell if I leave the tap running for a few minutes. The water in D15 is foul, so we end up buying bottled water instead, which environmentally is crap, but at least we can drink it.
    You might be near a chlorine tap. Something in my brain is reminding me that the amount of chlorine in your water depends on your proximity to these taps.

Having said all that, I must admit this townie water is probably healthier. I spent 17, maybe 18 years of my life drinking delicious water from wells that were never serviced, and had no anti-microbial protections whatever (the well at home still doesn't), so we needn't get too romantic about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A bottle

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You might be near a chlorine tap. Something in my brain is reminding me that the amount of chlorine in your water depends on your proximity to these taps.

Having said all that, I must admit this townie water is probably healthier. I spent 17, maybe 18 years of my life drinking delicious water from wells that were never serviced, and had no anti-microbial protections whatever (the well at home still doesn't), so we needn't get too romantic about it.

A lot also depends on what part of Dublin you're in. I'm originally from the southside, and I'd happily drink the water from my parent's tap all day long. However I had the same chlorine smell issue when I lived off the Howth Road years ago.

Irish Water via the filter, which is changed every six months, in the icemaking/water compartment on my fridge freezer. Well worth paying the extra for that feature, especially in this hot weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Let your tap water gas off for a few hours in the fridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The tap....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Last rental but one the water stank of rotten eggs unless you ran it a while, Private well and no added filtering.

When I lived near Boyle, the shopping centre had a filter tap where you could fill your bottles? Seen the same in other small towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Zaph wrote: »
    A lot also depends on what part of Dublin you're in. I'm originally from the southside, and I'd happily drink the water from my parent's tap all day long. However I had the same chlorine smell issue when I lived off the Howth Road years ago.

Chlorine doesn't have a smell. When it comes into contact with fecal matter it reacts with it to create the smell we call chlorine.

Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

kneemos wrote: »
    Chlorine doesn't have a smell. When it comes into contact with fecal matter it reacts with it to create the smell we call chlorine.

Sorry.

Not just fecal matter. Chlorine will react with any dissolved organic matter (mostly vegetation) to form trihalomethanes. https://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/trihalomethanes/

• Advertisement

Sorry.
    Interesting. But why do swimming pools smell so strongly? It's not like there are floating turds or plant life to react to the chlorine.

It must be sweat and human body dirt? And it must be a reflection of the filth in the pool, the stronger it smells?

Interesting. But why do swimming pools smell so strongly? It's not like there are floating turds or plant life to react to the chlorine.

It must be sweat and human body dirt? And it must be a reflection of the filth in the pool, the stronger it smells?

Urine.

Again. Apologies.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I only use water from the Himalayas.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

5 litre bottles of Tesco water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Baybay

Filter unit fitted under kitchen sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Urine.

Again. Apologies.

Well aren't we organic matter, so wouldn't the smell always be about if humans are in the pool, regardless of urine.

All those dead skin cells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

From our own deep well, bore was done 1976/77 beautiful fresh water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Have a well at home and the water is great. When I moved out for college I couldn't drink the city water so used a Brita Filter jug which did take the manky taste away.
    Now I drink away the tap water. I hardly notice the chlorine-y taste. Try a Brita.

Sorry.

Chloroamines are responsible for the smell. Monochloroamine is sometimes added to drinking water intentionally to disinfect it.

Urine.

Again. Apologies.

But urine is sterile, no?

I'm not sure whether that means it simply doesn't have bacteria, or that it doesn't have organic matter. I feel like urine *shouldn't*have organic matter in it (shocked emoji)

• Advertisement

But urine is sterile, no?

I'm not sure whether that means it simply doesn't have bacteria, or that it doesn't have organic matter. I feel like urine *shouldn't*have organic matter in it (shocked emoji)

Organic matter here means organic compounds I presume! Urine contains things like proteins and hormones that are considered organic. Most molecules that contain the element carbon are considered organic.

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Organic matter here means organic compounds I presume! Urine contains things like proteins and hormones that are considered organic. Most molecules that contain the element carbon are considered organic.

Yeah I understood what organic meant, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have protein in your urine? Or at least, not much protein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

I use an in-line filter feeding into a separate tap to make mains water more palatable. Similar to this one:
    14306_P

Yeah I understood what organic meant, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have protein in your urine? Or at least, not much protein.

Yeah you should only have very small amounts but its still an organic substance. Metabolites would also be present as an organic material

Pool smell is commonly caused by ammonia from the human body reacting with the free chlorine.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/03/01/517785902/just-how-much-pee-is-in-that-pool?t=1563964389614

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

https://www.aquasoft.ie/1/index.php?route=common/home

Wide selection of under sink types on there, any body recommend one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

vargoo wrote: »
    I tried a different forum but no response.

I'm not a fan of the tap here and I don't want to buy bottled.

Those here that don't do either of the above, what do you do?

I'm thinking some kind of filter for the tap but what type?

From the tap or bottled Volvic - Touch of Strawberry. Love the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Baybay

vargoo wrote: »
    https://www.aquasoft.ie/1/index.php?route=common/home

Wide selection of under sink types on there, any body recommend one?

Eirsoft installed ours & if I remember correctly (there was a lot going on as we’d just moved in!) I think it works by osmosis. We’re very happy with it so far.
    We also decided on a tri flow tap. Quite expensive but worth it for us as the house has a ceramic sink & granite work surfaces so I didn’t want any drilling for the extra little tap that’s installed as part of the deal. I felt it would also be in the way a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Bit of an update for you here lads.

Most of the affordable large(and some small) containers of water people buy in this country have been tested to contain unsafe levels of arsenic. Back to the tap water for everyone so........

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0803/1066784-fsai-orders-recall-of-branded-water/

https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/News_Centre/Food_Alerts/Food__Alert_Listings/Table%20for%20food%20alert%20on%20bottled%20water.pdf

These have been taken off the shelves or flagged on the system so they can't be scanned for purchase but I'm sure many people have bottle with these batch numbers in their home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Britta jug. Stored in the fridge.

I can never understand people who leave their britta jug out on the counter at room temp.

Other than that, water cooler at work, or bottled when on the go. Also have the odd bottle of san pelligrino sparkling for when I want something different.

dotsman wrote: »
    Also have the odd bottle of san pelligrino sparkling for when I want something different.
    The tee-totaller's Bollinger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

from a tap.

originally though it was a trick question:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I drank the tap water here for nearly 40 years of my life (good, clean water from the Wickla Mountains) but then they messed with the formula a few years ago and mixed it with water from the Barrow. It's not so great these days.
    tuxy wrote: »
    Bit of an update for you here lads.

Most of the affordable large(and some small) containers of water people buy in this country have been tested to contain unsafe levels of arsenic. Back to the tap water for everyone so........

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0803/1066784-fsai-orders-recall-of-branded-water/

https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/News_Centre/Food_Alerts/Food__Alert_Listings/Table%20for%20food%20alert%20on%20bottled%20water.pdf

These have been taken off the shelves or flagged on the system so they can't be scanned for purchase but I'm sure many people have bottle with these batch numbers in their home.
    FYL (Fixed your link.) ;)

Most have arsenic? I usually get my bought water from Tesco when I shop online, and they're not on your list. I don't drink tea or coffee so it's not a bit deal for me.

I drank the tap water here for nearly 40 years of my life (good, clean water from the Wickla Mountains) but then they messed with the formula a few years ago and mixed it with water from the Barrow. It's not so great these days.

FYL (Fixed your link.) ;)

Most have arsenic? I usually get my bought water from Tesco when I shop online, and they're not on your list. I don't drink tea or coffee so it's not a bit deal for me.

TY, I also fixed my link

It's water from Celtic Pure in Co. Monahan that has the problem
    I think Tesco water is sourced in Tipperary

Aldi on twitter are advising people to return the water for a full refund.
    I'm sure it will be the same with other shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The fizzy water in green bottles in lidl is as nice as any of the premium brands, tastes like San Peregrino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I buy the Lidl 5L bottles of water. That doesn’t appear to be on the FSAI website, am I safe ? :-|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Frpm the tap. Where else would you get it. Only fools buy water for household consumption.

I buy the Lidl 5L bottles of water. That doesn’t appear to be on the FSAI website, am I safe ? :-|

Looks like you are, does it say where the 5l bottle you have was sourced?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

I've got one of these at home.

https://staypurewater.com/

Its a tablet that purifies tap water in seconds, turning it into fresh drinkable water. Basically it removes all the toxins and chemicals that are in it. Can reuse it like 500 times.

Not only green but also saving a fortune on not buying plastic bottles.

Used to hate drinking tap water and buying plastic bottles over and over again. Now I just refill my 2.2 litre bottle everyday with tap water and it's like bottled water in seconds.

I've got one of these at home.

https://staypurewater.com/

Its a tablet that purifies tap water in seconds, turning it into fresh drinkable water. Basically it removes all the toxins and chemicals that are in it. Can reuse it like 500 times.

Not only green but also saving a fortune on not buying plastic bottles.

Used to hate drinking tap water and buying plastic bottles over and over again. Now I just refill my 2.2 litre bottle everyday with tap water and it's like bottled water in seconds.

It doesn't remove fluoride though does it? The Illuminati will be controlling your mind.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Maybe you're losing your taste. Either way, you compromised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement