Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low cold water pressure in bathrooms only

Options
  • 23-07-2019 10:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Info

3 story house (attic converted)
    No toilets or taps in attic but I did put in a new tank and adjust plumbing during renovations. House originally built in 1996.

Kitchen tap is perfect (mains fed)
    Bathroom and en-suite cold taps are very low. The bathroom is a trickle and the en-suite is manageable but noticeably low pressure.

Gravity fed system, no pumps etc

Where do I start?
    Plumber out job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is it just the cold in the taps? Hot water pressure is fine everywhere?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Is it just the cold in the taps? Hot water pressure is fine everywhere?

Yes, hot water is fine.
    Mains cold is fine and the WC at ground floor level is fine as gravity obviously helping that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

could dirt or sludge have moved down the pipes and be blocking some areas so reducing the pressure?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    could dirt or sludge have moved down the pipes and be blocking some areas so reducing the pressure?

Possible.
    It was a tank out renovation. New tank in and a bit of re-routing of some pipes within the existing plumbing.

The taps are these - https://nikobathrooms.ie/product/venice-basin-mixer-4/

Some mentioned that its possible the taps are for a pumped system and are not getting an adequate supply to give the impression of pressure?

kceire wrote:
    Some mentioned that its possible the taps are for a pumped system and are not getting an adequate supply to give the impression of pressure?

This would be likely if hot and cold were bad. Only cold problem suggests issue with isolation valve or the cold water fee from the tank.

Valve not open fully. Airlock in the cold supply of debris in the cold water supply

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This would be likely if hot and cold were bad. Only cold problem suggests issue with isolation valve or the cold water fee from the tank.

Valve not open fully. Airlock in the cold supply of debris in the cold water supply

I’ll check the valve later when home.
    Any tips on how to remedy if one of the other 2?

kceire wrote:
    I’ll check the valve later when home. Any tips on how to remedy if one of the other 2?

I'd get back whoever did the original work & let them worry about it if that possible.

Airlock could be bad pipework with a high point trapping air. Usually with an airlock if you go to the bath mixer, put your hand over the spout stopping any water getting out & turn on both hot and cold. With luck the pressure from the hot will force the air up into the tank from the cold pipe. Some people use a garden hose with mains pressure to force the air out of the cold supply.

Cheers. Yeah it’s my cousin that done the plumbing. He’s getting married next week so didn’t want to bother him so close.

If I can’t sort it myself I’ll get him back afterwards.

Cheers for the tips.

Advertisement