Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a break clause in my lease?

Options
  • 23-07-2019 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Reading through my lease agreement for a 12 month fixed term rental I noticed that in the second schedule section the following is stated.

"The tenant may terminate this tenancy agreement at any time without stating the grounds by serving written notice on the landlord. The notice period for such a termination by the tenant depends on the duration of the tenancy as follows.

Less than 6 months : 28 Days
    6 or more months but less than 1 year : 35 Days
    etc. "

What does this mean exactly?. Is it essentially a break clause if I wanted to leave early?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Lowkii wrote: »
    Reading through my lease agreement for a 12 month fixed term rental I noticed that in the second schedule section the following is stated.

"The tenant may terminate this tenancy agreement at any time without stating the grounds by serving written notice on the landlord. The notice period for such a termination by the tenant depends on the duration of the tenancy as follows.

Less than 6 months : 28 Days
    6 or more months but less than 1 year : 35 Days
    etc. "

What does this mean exactly?. Is it essentially a break clause if I wanted to leave early?.

It may be. It is very important to look one single clause in isolation. Maybe the tours is only applicable after the first year fixed term has ended and no new written lease has been entered into. It is simply not possible to say without looking at the full lease.

Advertisement