Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pensioner who died in Cork lay undiscovered for seven months

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Article states he kept to himself so not that surprising. It's unfortunate and sad to read about, but it's not uncommon.

He might have preferred that to the proposed support network calling unsolicited to elderly people living alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Yeah, I agree. His living under the radar was probably down to his own choices over his life. Some people just dont like people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He may have been a reclusive character, reluctant to engage with neighbors etc, that’s grand but if I’m that neighbor and haven’t seen the guy in a few days and you are used to see him checking his mailbox, going for a walk, to the shops, for a drink etc... I’d say fûck it, knock on his door, he might just answer, might even tell you to get lost but hey, he’s ok, you could even just open a line of communication...”hey if you need anything give me a knock”...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't know about this case so I won't comment on it.

However I have seen elderly people becomes isolated and left alone over the years.
    The popular answer is the youth of Today don't care about the elderly and only care about social media.
    However in my experience these people.
    Treated the district nurse terribly and were often abusive and the same with home helps.
    Same with neighbors always calling the Gardai over the kids out on the green with a ball or the tiniest bit of noise.
    Some one new moves in and tries to help them out around the house/shpping or garden. They get accused of only doing it for there money or trying to steal something.
    I even heard of a man doing a task for a neighbour for free. He was a trades man and she reported him to his work place for doing it and he got a warning over it.
    Then there are those who are abusive to their family and they eventually have enough of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's never easy to get a full picture in these cases. Some people need, and like, company or people calling to them. Others prefer to be left alone, and some can be downright aggressive towards anybody who calls on them. This is yet another sad story but, as I said, we don't know the full story.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    He may have been a reclusive character, reluctant to engage with neighbors etc, that’s grand but if I’m that neighbor and haven’t seen the guy in a few days and you are used to see him checking his mailbox, going for a walk, to the shops, for a drink etc... I’d say fûck it, knock on his door, he might just answer, might even tell you to get lost but hey, he’s ok, you could even just open a line of communication...”hey if you need anything give me a knock”...

I know people who were great people and tried to help people out. They'd do anything for anybody and expect nothing in return.
    However they asked a neigbhour did they need something from the shops/etc.
    They were reported help the elderly/Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

If in the same situation, I could definitely see myself cutting all ties with the outside world and not having any contact when I'm older, which is fine as I'm just a narky old bugger and it wouldn't bother me.
    Then there's other people who are alone but not by choice and would want company if anyone would reachout to them, much sadder that this cohort exists.

Snotty wrote: »
    If in the same situation, I could definitely see myself cutting all ties with the outside world and not having any contact when I'm older, which is fine as I'm just a narky old bugger and it wouldn't bother me.
    Then there's other people who are alone but not by choice and would want company if anyone would reachout to them, much sadder that this cohort exists.

I may be wrong now but in my area the elderly all nearly have access to home helps/day care/meals on wheels/etc.
    The one's who I know who are lonely refuses contact with all these things/services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The one's who I know who are lonely refuses contact with all these things/services.

They may not be actually lonely though, might have friends that are not local

gctest50 wrote: »
    They may not be actually lonely though, might have friends that are not local

Sorry I should have pointed out they are lonely.
    They'd ring the radio station to say it or something similar.
    I might just know or have known a few stubborn one's.
    One man used throw the meals on wheels dinner at the person delivering it and then he's ring the local radio station to say he was a poor hungry man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Theres an ould lad isolated like this near where my folks live....my da rings him in morning to make sure he ok etc(he was sick few months ago)...if he in bad form etc,he just sends a text back to let know he still alive

And everyone leaves it at that....no need for overly instrusive home help etc,but no need for someone to lie dead for 7 months unnoticed either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Barring the few exceptions, most people I know of whose death would probably go unnoticed for months have made it their business to be lonely.

In the thread on Thomas Reid there was lots of sentiment along the lines of "What people need to realise is that there's people out there who just don't want to be bothered and are happy to let the world pass them by. Don't force yourself upon them, or it's only fair they'll get cranky and annoyed". This is all well and good but if you take it to the extreme like some people do, it's hardly surprising that nobody notices when they're dead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Whatever the circumstances and disposition of this old man, to lie like that for seven months is a reflection on all of us, including the deceased, but hardly fair to tell Grace that her cats will eat her!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved from AH > CA

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I know people who were great people and tried to help people out. They'd do anything for anybody and expect nothing in return.
    However they asked a neigbhour did they need something from the shops/etc.
    They were reported help the elderly/Gardai.

So be it, you don’t ask them again, but that kind of weirdness would be in the 000.1 %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

At least your cats will eat you Graces7
    I don’t know whether to thank this, report it or put in one of your much-loved Father Ted references :eek:

Yikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Whatever the circumstances and disposition of this old man, to lie like that for seven months is a reflection on all of us, including the deceased, but hardly fair to tell Grace that her cats will eat her!

No, not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dubl07 wrote: »

Many thanks but sadly I am accustomed to this kind of ..... in AH and sadly here in CA now.

I did hope for more caring frankly for others. Maybe for some ideas re how old folk can keep safe and have access to help in need. rather than be judged as
    here.

As some have said, a small check and a kind word costs nothing. and may save an old one from danger .

Anyone who is not appalled at an old man lying dead for seven months?

One day you will all be old....

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    No, not really.

Please explain. Thank you.

_blaaz wrote: »
    Theres an ould lad isolated like this near where my folks live....my da rings him in morning to make sure he ok etc(he was sick few months ago)...if he in bad form etc,he just sends a text back to let know he still alive

And everyone leaves it at that....no need for overly instrusive home help etc,but no need for someone to lie dead for 7 months unnoticed either

Perfect. And that will mean so very much to him,

I know my neighbours here and we quietly make sure they are OK. Respecting their privacy as all of us do in such a small community. They do the same for me. unobtrusively.. If I omit to take post in, they check the next delivery. I call home almost every day and if home does not hear for 2 days they have a number to call next door.

It can be done caringly and respectfully.

• Advertisement

I don't know about this case so I won't comment on it.

However I have seen elderly people becomes isolated and left alone over the years.
    The popular answer is the youth of Today don't care about the elderly and only care about social media.
    However in my experience these people.
    Treated the district nurse terribly and were often abusive and the same with home helps.
    Same with neighbors always calling the Gardai over the kids out on the green with a ball or the tiniest bit of noise.
    Some one new moves in and tries to help them out around the house/shpping or garden. They get accused of only doing it for there money or trying to steal something.
    I even heard of a man doing a task for a neighbour for free. He was a trades man and she reported him to his work place for doing it and he got a warning over it.
    Then there are those who are abusive to their family and they eventually have enough of them.

If these agencies arrived without being asked small wonder they got no welcome. We who are old need to keep choices open and retain our privacy. Not having strangers pushing in!

There is a difference between that and keeping a weather eye on elderly neighbours. As folk here do for me and I for them.

Also what help for old folk who have some form of dementia and confusion? Or mental illness?

Whatever, letting a dead one lie for seven months with no one noticing is a terrible reflection on all of us.

FFred wrote: »
    I don’t know whether to thank this, report it or put in one of your much-loved Father Ted references :eek:

Yikes.

lol.. In case you don;t know this came up in a previous thread and like others I did say my cats are welcome to my dead flesh

BUT in this context, poor taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Graces7 wrote:
    There are no words.

There are many words, as this is a discussion forum, not Facebook.
    What next - "I can't even"?

Anyways, in urban areas, it's very easy for the elderly to disappear into the background and be forgotten, not so much in rural areas as they tend to go to the local shop only for food.
    I knew a man who lived on his own up a cul-de-sac and was a bit of a recluse. He wasn't a nice person, and those who did try to help got terrible abuse from him.
    There is a reason why neighbors want to avoid these people sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please explain. Thank you.

Someone said the fact the poor gent was left there is a reflection on all of us. The poster you're quoting disagrees. How is someone dying in Cork a reflection on someone in Donegal, for example? It was a pretty sweeping statement and sounds good but what does it mean?

There are plenty of us that look after our elderly neighbours. My next door neighbour is a saint, he cooks supper for our 92 year old neighbour from across the street every day. There was a power outage the other afternoon and I went over to make sure the older man was all good and explained what was going onn as the updates were on the ESB twitter, which I don't think he used. He just thought his telly was broken. Plenty from the road drop in on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do you volunteer with elderly in your area? Or help with any support groups?

She lives on an island off the west coast of Ireland. I'd bet you a dollar she's heavily involved with her community and neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Graces7 wrote: »
    lol.. In case you don;t know this came up in a previous thread and like others I did say my cats are welcome to my dead flesh

BUT in this context, poor taste?
    Although I consider myself to have a very good sense of humour, I found it a bit ‘close to the bone’ (in a manner of speaking :) )

FFred wrote: »
    Although I consider myself to have a very good sense of humour, I found it a bit ‘close to the bone’ (in a manner of speaking :) )

Indeed! had there been a link to the other thread/ Even so in this context..

Talked earlier with my family about this. Told them that when I see death approaching, I will simply greet the inevitable quietly here in my bed. or outside. No human company sought.

It was not the lonely death in this case. I am a true loner and always will be and my family know and respect that.

as was this man. Like others no need of intrusive home help etc

It is that he lay there and no one noticed.

The pensioner was found dead in his house after a concerned person called to his home as he hadn’t been seen in some time.

and

It is understood that the man who passed away was well-liked in the area but kept to himself.

Sad times. the death of community?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A woman near us lay dead for about ten days.
    She was a particularly awkward character, who seemed to like nothing better than reporting her neighbours for many snd varied offences.
    Polluting drains, noise pollution, animal welfare problems, etc etc.
    The postman was not allowed enter on her property if the gate at the road was closed, she hated people pulling in on the entrance to her property and had large rocks placed along the roadside.
    If a car slowed down or pulled up to make a phone call, she imagined it was a burglar casing the joint and had the gardai plagued with calls about imaginary robbers.
    This went on for twenty years.
    After almost two weeks of not seeing her, the postman reported it yo the gardai, and about the same time her ex husband was trying to get her on the phone and dtove down to see what was going on.
    They broke in and found her dead in bed, with the electric blanket on.
    The Garda Sergeant wasn't the better of it for a while.
    Some people are reclusive, some are alone in the world, some are such a pain that if they aren't fighting with you you are grateful and get on with your own life.

• Advertisement

Reati wrote: »
    She lives on an island off the west coast of Ireland. I'd bet you a dollar she's heavily involved with her community and neighbours.

Thank you..Cannot find the post you reply to.

I am nearly 80, disabled and all but housebound, and yes, very involved and I know who everyone is and that they are cared for, without intruding. I seek no home help or other intrusions either.

As they do me. In the past yes I have worked with support groups. of course. still in touch with some by email etc.

Advertisement