Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young calf not thriving

Options
  • 22-07-2019 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭

Okay I have a week old calf from Aa dam & bb sire he doesn't seem to be thriving at all. She's slightly hunched and doesn't seem to be filling out +very slight scour.. The Dam only has milk in 2 teats she had mastitus one time. The calf is well able to suck but she's awful lethargic. I generally wouldn't be able to go near a 2 or 3 day old calf they'd be so lively.. All my cattle are outdoors... Anyways would it be wrong to feed milk replacer as a supplement to the dams milk or has anyone any other suggestions... Thanks keep in mind I'm a novice at this game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Could be a bit of a chill.
    I'd be inclined to bring it in for a couple of days, when you go to put it up does it stretch? Take the temp & check if it's a bit dehydrated by pinching loose skin & see if it stays tented or folds back quickly. Miserable weather outside the last few days for any calf, esp one that wouldn't have gotten a whole pile of beestings from a two titter.
    Definitely nothing wrong with supplementing milk replacer but can be hard to get them to agree to a fake teat after sucking the cow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'm assuming when the calf has lasted a week that it got colostrum and that the cow has some milk available. The last few days and night's were wet and cold so that is probably part of the cause, bringing the team indoors or to a more sheltered spot would definitely help the situation. Is the calf sucking the 2 blind tits or the ones that have milk? Often times a calf will favour one quarter over another for the first few weeks. This means that even though there mad to suck that there not actually getting any milk. Finally the cow wouldn't have gotten mastitis in the 2 good quarters since calving and therefore has no milk now or the milk has a sour taste? Usually in my experience a cow that loses a quarter to mastitis usually loses more in time as the infection can spread from quarter to quarter, for this reason I'd be considering culling her once the calf is reared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Twas wet and miserable you're right that might have something to do with and yes she's sucking where she has milk.. Now maybe it might be sour all right didn't think of that.. Bringing them in isn't an option but they have loads of shelter in a small wood. She sucked away after she was born too so I reckoned all was OK.. Would it be a waste to give that powered colostrum even at this stage do you think? +cull is the job for her this autumn or so you're right.. On top of everything I was away for a couple days so took my eye off the ball

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I can't see the colostrum doing much good now that's she's a week old, standard milk replacer would be every bit as good imo. It may be hard to get her to suck a bottle if she's used of the cow but then hunger is great sauce!.
    I'd be keeping a tight eye on her as a calf that age has very little resistance in them and can go downhill rapidly, if your not happy with her then perhaps some advice from your vet maybe a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Yea, doesn't a calf's absorption rate of antibodies in colostrum go downhill from birth? Or the colostrum loses antibodies from birth. Or both :pac: Be a bit late either way!
    But if you're able to take her temperature in the field, I would. Just see what it's at & work from there. Personally I find watching them stretch after they get up is the best way to know if a calf is feeling 100% or not. Or catch her sucking & see if it's drinking with gusto & waggling the tail or just drinking for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s a pain but I’d be thinking of getting calf in and checking temperature.

As others have said possibly has chill or some infection.

Week old calf will melt quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Might be no harm to check its navel

whelan2 wrote: »
    Might be no harm to check its navel
    Got plenty of iodine when she was born

For anyone interested I ended up bottle feeding the calf he's still with the mother and he's thriving so all good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Reminds me of a story our vet told me. He arrived into a place to look at cattle that were not thriving one springtime.The brains of the operation asks the vet what he thought was wrong with the cattle.
    "They are hungry" says the vet.
    "That's not a diagnosis" says me man.
    "Well alright then malnutrition"our vet retorts
    "Ah I knew it was something serious":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

For anyone interested I ended up bottle feeding the calf he's still with the mother and he's thriving so all good

Good to know.

That happened to me last year and the calf ended knocking very hard on death's door - I spent best part of two weeks tube feeding her, she had gone so far down in a short period. She has ended up so quiet with all the handling she is now in calf and will be kept in the herd.

And this year my OH spotted a month old calf with droopy ears. When we brought him in his temperature was 106 and climbing. He is back outside with his mother and all good. We are leaving the shed door open and they are coming in for a dry lie these miserable days.

Advertisement