Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

emptying an old slurry pit

• 20-07-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

We have just bought an old farmhouse with a couple of sheds - both sheds used to have calves in them and have pits at one end. Neither has been used for at least 8 years and are empty apart from about six inches of mud consistency sludge at the bottom of them.
    We want to fill both pits with the rubble from renovations and then concrete to fill them in. We will be using the sheds to store furniture and other items and making a workshop in one of them.

Questions: Do we have to remove this sludge or can we just fill in over it?
    Can I use the sludge on the garden?

What is the best way to remove it if this is what we need to do?
    Thanks for any advice. It doesn't smell at all and is a nice brown earthy colour.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

if it's only 6" I'd leave it and just fill over assuming the pit is at least a couple of feet deep,

Best of luck in your new home !!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sarah 1111

Great - thanks! yes, its about 3 foot if not a bit more.. that will make life much easier (and cheaper!).. and thanks for the good luck - we might need it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭148multi

Sarah 1111 wrote: »
    We have just bought an old farmhouse with a couple of sheds - both sheds used to have calves in them and have pits at one end. Neither has been used for at least 8 years and are empty apart from about six inches of mud consistency sludge at the bottom of them.
    We want to fill both pits with the rubble from renovations and then concrete to fill them in. We will be using the sheds to store furniture and other items and making a workshop in one of them.

Questions: Do we have to remove this sludge or can we just fill in over it?
    Can I use the sludge on the garden?

What is the best way to remove it if this is what we need to do?
    Thanks for any advice. It doesn't smell at all and is a nice brown earthy colour.

Spread on the garden, it's like best quality topsoil at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

148multi wrote: »
    Spread on the garden, it's like best quality topsoil at this stage.

There are many keen gardeners who would gladly avail of it, and empty it out for you in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sarah 1111

Even better if I can use it on the garden - great, exactly what I was hoping...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

Toss it out on your lawns, by the time you're finished building it will be gone into the soil and ul have a hugely improved lawn without living through the smell of it outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

for those recommending to put it on the lawn I'm sure your'e aware that slurry gas is lethal and is heavier than air, one lungful can kill a person, op asked in her post "What is the best way to remove it if this is what we need to do?"

I don't see any recommendations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

orm0nd wrote: »
    for those recommending to put it on the lawn I'm sure your'e aware that slurry gas is lethal and is heavier than air, one lungful can kill a person, op asked in her post "What is the best way to remove it if this is what we need to do?"

I don't see any recommendations

Yes but if its been sitting there for 8 years then it will be fully decomposed and is likely just decomposed matter and water. Not toxic anymore and probably doesnt smell at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

orm0nd wrote:

It's a 3' pit with 6" or so of sludge at the bottom. Assuming that the shed is bigger than the pit then the gas will dissipate evenly along the floor of the shed to a height of less than 6 inches (That's if the whole amount is gas only and no sludge). OP should be ok if they are taller than 3' 6" in height. The fact that no animal has been in the shed for 8 years or so would mean that the waste at the bottom of the pit is pretty much dried out and more of a topsoil consistency than slurry (Going on personal experience). A few assumptions thrown in there but safe enough I think.
    OP, if the pit is enclosed within the shed if it smells of sulpher and is of slurry consistency when you break the skin get out and leave all doors open in the shed. If it is dried out and of soil consistency then you should be fine for slurry gasses.
    Maybe if you can put up a photograph it may be some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

How can you be so sure that the sludge doesn't off-gas when disturbed? Can you be certain of that it won't come more than 6" off the ground?

If someone is doing it by hand they will be bending down with the shovel and could very easily be overcome by gas if they come into contact with it. Then they fall down into the pit and suffocate. It is high risk activity. No-one should ever be going into tanks or pits of any sort without very good reason and it is absolutely unavoidable and there is no reasonably practicable alternative.

I would say that the sludge would have to be removed as leaving it in place means there is a very high chance that the fill will settle in and the concrete slab will settle and crack.
    Removing the sludge should be done using a minidigger or similar if there is one on site for another part of the job.
    If suitable it could be spread on the land or tilled into the landscaping.

The fill would also need to be very very well compacted so that the concrete will not settle and crack.

But infilling of these pits is totally the right course of action. They are absolutely lethal and countless people have died from defunct slurry pits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

I would leave the residue in situ and fill to level required; put in large 'blocks' first, say, to within 1 foot of the FFL.

The value of the residue as topsoil would be minimal; two bags of 10 10 20 would be equivalent value. And much cheaper/easier to manage.

Advertisement