Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Saw Horse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Increases risk of kickback unless you've a long bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Google timbercroc. It a simple and very effective bit of kit, no chains or straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Diarmuid B

Google timbercroc. It a simple and very effective bit of kit, no chains or straps.

Bought it after the ploughing last year, great piece of kit and so easy to use. Pallets branches logs, it’ll hold anything in place for you to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Jeez, that's nasty. That kind of thing can so easy happen.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

And not a vestige of safety gear on him. Never pick up a saw without the works - trousers, gloves, helmet with ear/eye protection. He was lucky to be able to walk away.

Regarding a saw horse: I got one in Lidl years ago. It seems very light but I've cut an awful lot of timber on it. Cost €17 probably about 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

I got a great one a few years back with a chain to hold the logs in place. If I could only know how to add a photo. Tried a few times previously but failed to add photos.
    I got mine from Belville Eng. Athenry. Very strong and sturdy. They come flat packed and can be assembled at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Keep a loom out for a s/h saw bench.
    Something like this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McConnel-Saw-Bench-PTO-Saw-Bench-Table-Saw-for-Tractor/323849553347?hash=item4b66f005c3:g:5yoAAOSwQsFcr5iR

Other makes to wstch for are Alko, Laurence Edwards and Kidd.
    Sliding table ones a little safer than the older Fergusson swinging table types.
    You would cut a winters firewood in a day, and a few gallons of diesel.
    I stack it in six foot lengths for 12 months first.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

I was thinking the chain or strap type as the branches are not too thick so would hope to bundle them. That kickback looked like the chainsaw hopped up off the large stump facing, no fun in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There is a similar thread a few months ago in the forestry section, I think it was called "log holder" , you may find some advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Diarmuid B wrote: »
    Bought it after the ploughing last year, great piece of kit and so easy to use. Pallets branches logs, it’ll hold anything in place for you to cut.

Have one here. A brilliant tool to have. Makes cutting timber a lot easier on your own

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Another vote for the timber croc here and if you happen to have an assistant, slave, or volunteer to feed the logs into it you’ll cut a lot of logs in a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭southkilkenny

I made one with some 3 by 3 timbers as uprights and also to go between the uprights. It is 4 foot wide and is built so that when full, the 20 inch barn and chain on the saw can cut all the sticks. Tbh i wanted one most for small sticks as when topping trees, we take everything down to less than an inch in diameter to minimise the boughs and tops to be disposed of in field (too close to forestry to light fires). Problem with mine is there are only 3 uprights along the 4 foot width so need to add in more uprights to help keep the smaller sticks in place. I generall use a rathchet strap to hold the sticks but the smaller ones are a real pain so even this isn't an ideal set up. Has anyone found a good solution for smaller sticks. How is the timber croc for holding and cutting multiple small sticks at the same time? Would be too slow to load and cut each small.stick one by one. Any ideas or experiences with this and might also be useful for the op.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

Make one urself and get a young lad to hold them and feed them as you cut. I used to make £5 a day doing it for local fella back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

make something like this
    space the uprights to suit your fire size,
    and width to suit your saw length,
    Like SouthKilkenny said strap the branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Fairly expensive at 220 euros. Is it worth it?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

80sDiesel wrote:

120 I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

lab man wrote: »
    80sDiesel wrote:

120 I thought
    https://timbercroc.com/shop-2?store-page=Timber-Croc-Log-Holder-p125634228

Nope 220. Probably was cheaper at the ploughing championship.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

80sDiesel wrote: »

It must be gone up, I think I paid 150 or around that. But either way, without a doubt it’s worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I've got one almost identical to this, it's a great job & galvanized to last a lifetime
    https://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/log-holder/22483873

Similar painted versions also on Donedeal
    https://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/log-holder-32-county-delivery-next-day-saw-horse/6034325

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

I asked my Stihl dealer years ago if he knew anything about sawhorses, or where I'd get one. He said Stihl make one, and he'd get me one if I wanted. I thought with the Stihl name it would be grand, so I got one... I'm less than impressed with it...It works, but it's a pain in the ass. I only used it a couple of times, and it's sitting in the shed since....

• Advertisement

Aravo wrote: »
    I got a great one a few years back with a chain to hold the logs in place. If I could only know how to add a photo. Tried a few times previously but failed to add photos.
    I got mine from Belville Eng. Athenry. Very strong and sturdy. They come flat packed and can be assembled at home.

Might be a good Xmas present

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Pic attached

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Aravo wrote: »
    Pic attached

This has to be the handiest for small bits up to 5/6 inches. https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/new-electric-log-saw-450mm/21302307

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

gazahayes wrote: »
    This has to be the handiest for small bits up to 5/6 inches. https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/new-electric-log-saw-450mm/21302307

A neighbour of mine has something very similar to that. He buys in small diameter lengths and cuts them
    He thinks it's great. No oil or fumes

Advertisement