Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English speakers who have played abroad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

David Beckham a very obvious candidate to your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I can't judge Brady's Italian, but Beckham is far from fluent.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Michael Robinson is a high profile commentator in Spain. Came to play for Osasuna and stayed on afterwards. Lots of Spaniards take the piss out of his accent and there is a rumour that he gets sent back to England every summer so as not to lose his English-tinged Spanish accent. It's actually pretty unfair because he speaks very well. He has a bit of an accent but its far less noticeable than other foreigners who speak Spanish.

Gareth Bale has had a lot of trouble learning Spanish. Apparently he won't even speak to his teammates in Spanish, despite having been at Madrid for six years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's good context to see Beckham's broken Spanish after 4 years at Madrid to imagine how hard it can be for non-English speakers coming to the Premier League for the first time.

It's never considered a factor at all, but some people find languages hard. I know Keita apparently has been struggling with English and has been cited as a reason for a mediocre first season. We don't consider it all but it must factor in, even if not on the ptich but into the general feeling of comfort in a new city. I'd love to hear more about how much of an issue it is, or stories about players who couldn't speak a word but excelled anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

David Platt is fluent in Italian after his time playing over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cascarino presumably knows French.

Owen Hargreaves with German too.

Linekar definitely has some Spanish and Japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bale.

He knows how to ask "where's the golf course" in Spanish.

There’s also a culture issue, though that may not be as big an issue as it was. But I remember Luther Blissett complaining about not getting Rice Krispies. And Ian Rush and that famous “couldn’t settle in Italy, it was like living in a foreign country” line (though probably a joke by Dalglish, it fed into a certain stereotype of a footballer in the 80s)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

A former player but worth mentioning considering he had to relearn the English language after spending a year in Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

John Charles was very successful in Italy in the 50s and 60s so much the fans voted him the greatest ever foreigner to play for them, in 1997. Take that Platini
    I assume he learned the lingo, must have been some culture shock at least nowadays players can youtube Turin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

There’s also a culture issue, though that may not be as big an issue as it was. But I remember Luther Blissett complaining about not getting Rice Krispies. And Ian Rush and that famous “couldn’t settle in Italy, it was like living in a foreign country” line (though probably a joke by Dalglish, it fed into a certain stereotype of a footballer in the 80s)

On Ian Rush, he never actually said that. It was Dalglish and picked up by the press incorrectly and then just stuck, never went away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The Joey Barton and Steve McClaren faux accents are quite normal. The process of aligning your accent with your interlocutors is known as accent accommodation.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fair play to Aldo and McGeady, they made the effort.

Especially McGeady, I grew up with a guy whose dad spoke Russian, apparently its a very hard language to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The Joey Barton and Steve McClaren faux accents are quite normal. The process of aligning your accent with your interlocutors is known as accent accommodation.

Yeah I always associated this as the first 'baby' step to learning another language, so I never found it as ridiculous as other people seemed to. In fairness, Barton's is fine but McLaren's is well OTT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Culture plays a big part and its not restricted to footballers either. I've met plenty of people from English-speaking countries who are living and working abroad who have no interest in learning another language because "everyone speaks English". I imagine for a lot of them it might only be a temporary arrangement so they probably aren't too bothered because of that. Something similar probably goes through the minds of footballers.

Considering that you can get by in most places speaking English, if that's the language you grew up with, it's harder to motivate yourself to learn another language. There's a lot more emphasis placed on learning languages in other countries where English isn't spoken, especially in places like the Czech Republic or Finland where their languages are useless outside of the country. Even people who aren't 'good' at languages, have a decent level of English and probably a bit of German, Spanish or French in these countries.

Learning languages is difficult for anyone but I do feel that, culturally, bative English speakers, in general, are less motivated to learn another language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Yeah I always associated this as the first 'baby' step to learning another language, so I never found it as ridiculous as other people seemed to. In fairness, Barton's is fine but McLaren's is well OTT!

I always thought Barton was takin the piss but McLaren's was legit, albeit ott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Morzadec wrote: »
    It's good context to see Beckham's broken Spanish after 4 years at Madrid to imagine how hard it can be for non-English speakers coming to the Premier League for the first time.

It's never considered a factor at all, but some people find languages hard. I know Keita apparently has been struggling with English and has been cited as a reason for a mediocre first season. We don't consider it all but it must factor in, even if not on the ptich but into the general feeling of comfort in a new city. I'd love to hear more about how much of an issue it is, or stories about players who couldn't speak a word but excelled anyway

I wouldn't have too much sympathy for a player after about 12 months. They could be getting lessons every day of the week as well as being surrounded by the language. The likes of Bale not speaking Spanish is actually a joke and taking the piss out of Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

NIMAN wrote: »
    Fair play to Aldo and McGeady, they made the effort.

Especially McGeady, I grew up with a guy whose dad spoke Russian, apparently its a very hard language to learn.

It's awful saying this given the trouble a lot of N.I born players encounter still.

But I know that Russian was quite prevalent amongst a cohort up that way that subscribed to the auld Marxist-Leninist economic theory ;)

I know quite a few lads released thanks to the GFA that speak quite a bit of Russian from the Soviet equivalent of Radio Free Europe in the 80's and early 90's a lot of them learnt by forced immersion.

Aidan went and plied his trade and plied it well.
    Same with Aldo, the Spanish bloody loved him when he was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

JPA wrote: »
    I wouldn't have too much sympathy for a player after about 12 months. They could be getting lessons every day of the week as well as being surrounded by the language. The likes of Bale not speaking Spanish is actually a joke and taking the piss out of Real.

I think it's a large part of the reason he's so unpopular over their and to be honest it's a perfectly justifiable reason, it's really disrespectful to the Spanish people that you don't at least make a proper effort to learn the language.I remember Steve McManaman saying they don't really mind if you're not good at speaking the language just that you at least try it and make a genuine effort to speak spanish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Patrick Walker

The above link from about the 1:05 minute mark. Patrick Walker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rooney still not fluent but reports from the States say he has mastered the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Roy Hodgson på svenska

Stuart Baxter på svenska (Current South African coach)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

banie01 wrote: »
    It's awful saying this given the trouble a lot of N.I born players encounter still.

But I know that Russian was quite prevalent amongst a cohort up that way that subscribed to the auld Marxist-Leninist economic theory ;)

I know quite a few lads released thanks to the GFA that speak quite a bit of Russian from the Soviet equivalent of Radio Free Europe in the 80's and early 90's a lot of them learnt by forced immersion.

Aidan went and plied his trade and plied it well.
    Same with Aldo, the Spanish bloody loved him when he was there.

Who was NI born from those? McGeady was born in Scotland and Aldo on Merseyside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Who was NI born from those? McGeady was born in Scotland and Aldo on Merseyside

I'd thought McGeady was born in Donegal, my bad ;)
    And the reference to Aldo, is in relation to his command of Spanish after playing there not his place of birth.
    Apologies for any lack of clarity on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Cillian Sheridan went around the place, Poland, Bulgaria etc. Eamon Zayed played in Greece, Malaysia. Not sure how much of the local language they spoke.

Steve Finnan and Ian Harte played a few seasons in La Liga and I recall the latter speaking Spanish alright.

There's an increasing amount of poaching young kids from England to continental teams. Jadon Sancho is at Dortmund, Reiss Nelson was at Hoffenheim and Monchengladbach tried to poach Rhian Brewster from Liverpool until they got angry and cancelled an arranged friendly. Germany is a place you can get by without knowing the language but I presume the likes of Sancho learn a bit being there for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Liam Kelly signed for Feyenoord from Reading, 3 year deal.
    So lets see how his Dutch will go in about 6 months. Cause that is about the average a Scandinavian needs to do interviews in Dutch.

While a "normal" person might have an excuse of not having the time to go to school and learn the language (i dont agree with that but ok) a footballer has no excuse whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

inforfun wrote: »
    While a "normal" person might have an excuse of not having the time to go to school and learn the language (i dont agree with that but ok) a footballer has no excuse whatsoever.

Not only the spare time they have from not playing fortnite or golf but their clubs would surely ensure they have the best teachers. I'm terrible at languages but even I would struggle to pick up the basics in that kind of environment.

I should also say accents could be a problem. I always laughed at Jan Molby's scouse accent. I got lost in Wales once and couldn't understand the locals.

They should go here https://www.reginacoeli.com/about-regina-coeli/the-nuns-of-vught.html

Many Dutch players and managers, the ones who cared, went there for 2 weeks after landing contracts in Spain or Italy.
    You will not be perfect in 2 weeks but anyone who went there was able to do their "announcement" press conference in the local language.
    probably the easiest way to start a career at a new club with with a bit of extra credit with the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

sugarman wrote: »
    McGeady speaks decent Russian
    Aldo is fluent in Spanish, I've seen a more recent clip of him speaking to the press

Aldo was nowhere near fluent in Spanish going by that interview. Anything he said in that interview was elementary. As someone else said, at least he made the effort and some players couldn't be arsed.

Antonio Valencia got a club award at United a few years back. He went up to collect the prize with an interpreter after about 10 years in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They should go here https://www.reginacoeli.com/about-regina-coeli/the-nuns-of-vught.html

Many Dutch players and managers, the ones who cared, went there for 2 weeks after landing contracts in Spain or Italy.
    You will not be perfect in 2 weeks but anyone who went there was able to do their "announcement" press conference in the local language.
    probably the easiest way to start a career at a new club with with a bit of extra credit with the fans.

:eek:

A grand a day!

They are really good.
    If you can make Louis van Gaal, who didnt speak any language but Dutch, do his press presentations in German and Spanish when he signed up for Bayern and Barca in 3 weeks time, you know what you are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Antonio Valencia got a club award at United a few years back. He went up to collect the prize with an interpreter after about 10 years in England.
    Aguero as well, I've only ever heard him speak in Spanish when interviewed.

I think with footballers, especially those who are world class, there's going to be more accommodation of their laziness with hiring interpreters and that.

Much more so than non-footballers obviously.

Slightly off-topic, I remember reading an interview with Fernando Torres about his English lessons at Liverpool. His teacher had him calling up local real estate agents, car dealers, etc, making inquiries about buying stuff, just to get genuine practice with the language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Steve "El Macca" McManaman speaks fluent Spanish as far as I know.

There was a video of him on YouTube somewhere being interviewed on the equivalent of Spanish Sky Sports news and he sounded ok!

Not an English speaker, but Trapattoni famously going nuts in German at a press conference is a good example of a football figure adapting to a foreign language, he sounded like he was at one of those bad rallies in Germany in the 1930's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Maybe not the same, but Irish man Tony Galvin could speak Russian. He play for ireland and in the euro 88 against USSR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Liam Kelly signed for Feyenoord from Reading, 3 year deal.
    So lets see how his Dutch will go in about 6 months. Cause that is about the average a Scandinavian needs to do interviews in Dutch.

Are Scandinavian languages similar to Dutch? Is that a reason why a lot of Scandinavian players have played in the Netherlands?

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »

There was a video of him on YouTube somewhere being interviewed on the equivalent of Spanish Sky Sports news and he sounded ok!

He was in Madrid in 2010 for the CL final and asked if he wanted to be interviewed in English or Spanish and chose English. I reckon after 4 years there though as a player he could get by.

Explains my Templeogue accent, even though I have moved back to Cork:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Maybe not the same, but Irish man Tony Galvin could speak Russian. He play for ireland and in the euro 88 against USSR.

He studied Russian in college before he became a pro footballer.

Moghead wrote: »
    Are Scandinavian languages similar to Dutch? Is that a reason why a lot of Scandinavian players have played in the Netherlands?

Wouldnt call them similar. They just seem to be good at picking up languages. The Swedes most of all.

Reason why a lot of them come over is probably a financial one. Eredivisie is a step up for them under any circumstance and so they are easier to convince than South-Americans of Southern Europeans.
    Clubs probably like the fact there is no drama to expect from them as well.
    Not many Swedes that comes with 14 agents and 7 managers all expecting to be paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,877 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lineker picked up passable Spanish and Japanese I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Lineker picked up passable Spanish and Japanese I think.

Not sure about his Japanese but linekar still has very good Spanish as seen by his documentaries in Argentina.
    I assume at the time of living there his Spanish was excellent.
    w/s/p/c/ wrote: »

Macca still does regular ‘pundit spots’ on Mexican Premier league shows.
    I lived in Spain when he payed in Madrid and he was always willing to do interviews in Spanish (contrary to what another poster here has said). While it was not perfect it was always very good. The Real fans loved him and called him ‘El caballero Ingles’ (The english gentleman). He was voted most likeable player something like 3 years in a row by Real fans.

Another player I would see on telly around that time was Vinny Samways. He was playing for Las Palmas and was completely assimilated and sounded like a local. I think he went back there (after a brief stint in the championship) to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

osarusan wrote: »
    Aguero as well, I've only ever heard him speak in Spanish when interviewed.

I think with footballers, especially those who are world class, there's going to be more accommodation of their laziness with hiring interpreters and that.

Much more so than non-footballers obviously.

Slightly off-topic, I remember reading an interview with Fernando Torres about his English lessons at Liverpool. His teacher had him calling up local real estate agents, car dealers, etc, making inquiries about buying stuff, just to get genuine practice with the language.

Aguero speaks English well as did tevez during his time but both used it as a reason not to do interviews with the press for fear of a slight mistake been magnified. Just easier to say “no english” and go about ur life without been destroyed by a journalist.

Not sure about his Japanese but linekar still has very good Spanish as seen by his documentaries in Argentina.
    I assume at the time of living there his Spanish was excellent.

Macca still does regular ‘pundit spots’ on Mexican Premier league shows.
    I lived in Spain when he payed in Madrid and he was always willing to do interviews in Spanish (contrary to what another poster here has said). While it was not perfect it was always very good. The Real fans loved him and called him ‘El caballero Ingles’ (The english gentleman). He was voted most likeable player something like 3 years in a row by Real fans.

Another player I would see on telly around that time was Vinny Samways. He was playing for Las Palmas and was completely assimilated and sounded like a local. I think he went back there (after a brief stint in the championship) to retire.

The video I saw of him was in 2010 which was 5/6 years after he'd left so logically he was a bit rusty and given the choice chose English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

POKERKING wrote: »
    Aguero speaks English well as did tevez during his time but both used it as a reason not to do interviews with the press for fear of a slight mistake been magnified. Just easier to say “no english” and go about ur life without been destroyed by a journalist.

Aguero is perfectly happy to chat with fans in English and it's definitely not bad, so the interpreters at interviews must be due to him not trusting the English media. Not so sure about Tevez though, I don't think he ever managed to get past the absolute basics.

In general, people in other countries do appreciatem it if someone makes an effort to at least learn some of the local language, and it really doesn't have to be perfect. On the other hand, someone living there for 6 years and cannot be bothered, like Bale, that tends to go down like a lead balloon. It is utterly disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Thanks for posting this. During the Trap era I was always curious about whether he could really speak Italian or not. Obviously he can, even after all these years.

It’s not only English speaker who don’t make the effort though, Italians for example don’t have great culture of learning languages. Trap deserves great credit in my opinion for learning English at his age, and German before that.

Language apart, I don’t think Brady gets enough credit here for his achievements in Italy. They were the glory days of the Seria A when it was the toughest league in the world and he won it twice. And he probably would have one more if he hadn’t been forced out by the signing of Platini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this. During the Trap era I was always curious about whether he could really speak Italian or not. Obviously he can, even after all these years.

But he is Italian isn't he?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Mars Bar wrote: »
    But he is Italian isn't he?!

Trap is Italian, but Brady is from Dublin. If you listen to the interview, and you can hear a bit of the Dublin accent come through ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Trap is Italian, but Brady is from Dublin. If you listen to the interview, and you can hear a bit of the Dublin accent come through ðŸ˜

Oh your were talking about Brady? That makes more sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Tony Woodcock was an England International who played for Arsenal and Nottingham Forest in the 70s and 80s

He transferred to Cologne and stayed in Germany after he retired, he speaks German as his first language now

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/where-are-they-now-tony-woodcock-1603025.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement