Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Draft 2019 Picks Thread

• 28-06-2019 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭

This thread is solely for picks. No chat, chat goes in the discussion thread.

When selecting a pick, a picture would be ideal followed maybe by a short paragraph as to why you selected this pick.

After you pick, you must PM the next user to inform them that it is their turn.

Every user has 24 hours to make a pick. If that time elapses the next user gets to pick regardless. The initial user who forego their pick can pick again at the end of the round.

This is an All time Premier League Draft so Rules are :
    • All players who have ever appeared in the premier league from it's beginning in 1992 are available.
    • They are presumed to be at the peak of their ability while in the PL. For example you pick Edgar Davids, you would get the level Davids was at while at Spurs and not the Juventus Davids.
    • The rounds will continue until we have selected 11 players for each side. Then we will have a draw and face teams off against each other in straight knockout tournament. The winner will be decided by the post which sets out the team and tactics which receives the most votes in the allotted time frame.

The order for picks is as follows
      redzerdrog Liam O Lucas Hood Mr.Nice Guy Ferris_Bueller duffman13 KBurke85 martyos121 astradave dr.kenneth noisewater IncognitoMan correction Dozyart Morzadec jayo26 SlickRic

The list will reverse at the end of each round.

Good luck to all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Ok this pick was a straight shootout between two players for me and I have gone with the 2nd best player to ever grace this planet and without doubt the best player to ever play in England

2008 Ballon D'or winner
    An incredible 42 goals in one premier league season

Christiano Ronaldo

I believe he will offer not only a goal threat from open play but also set pieces and fantastic in the air. Also offers flexibility for my side going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,353 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Surprised he even fell past the first pick. Bit annoying him being my first as a United fan but has to be Henry.

jpeg.jpg?f=16x9&w=1200&$p$f$w=dfa40e8

Though definitely not Emile Heskey, I think he did well enough. And yes. It was the pints that caused the delay. Sorry to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

My Captain Roy Keane

52074897-1008243.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Highest scoring midfielder in Premier League history, with 177 goals.

Fourth all-time provider in Premier League history, with 102 assists.

Scored the most goals from outside the box, with 41 goals.

Most different teams scored against, with 39 goals.

Most goals from a central midfielder in a season: 22 (2009–10)

Double-figure goal returns for 10 straight seasons.

All-time leading goalscorer for Chelsea.

Three-time Premier League winner and four-time FA Cup winner.

Captained Chelsea to their first and only Champions League win.

Captained Chelsea to their first and only Europa League win.

Ballon d'Or runner-up in 2005.

Three-time Chelsea player of the year.

Most Champions League Knockout Stage goals by an English player, with 15 goals.

Delighted to announce the signing of...

lampard34.jpg

...Frank Lampard.

And since I came across this when researching, here's what the great Xavi said about him when he retired...
    “There is absolutely no doubt that Frank Lampard is one of the great midfield players of the generation.

“At his peak he would have got into any team in the world - he was an exceptional talent and a model professional.

“There are some players who don't get the full appreciation at the time they are playing - but Frank will be remembered as one of the best midfield players in the history of the game.

“Not only was he a complete midfield player - he had the goalscoring record of a striker - maybe we won't see that goalscoring ability from a midfield player again."

https://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/lampard-will-be-remembered-as-one-of-the-best-midfield/1jhwusq1pf2kf1n6nlvskwxokh

OGC Nice (Guys)

Pick #1: Frank Lampard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

My first pick is going to be, in my opinion, the best midfielder of the Premier League era - Steven Gerrard.

olde8hra1e5dl7g65xms.jpg

He holds the record for the most appearances in the team of the season with eight, six of them coming in a row between 2004 and 2009 when he was at his peak under Benitez. I have never seen someone drag his team by the scruff of the neck so many times, if it weren't for him I think it really would have been possible for Liverpool to drift into a mid table side but he constantly kept them in and around the Champions League places.

He was another great goal threat from midfield netting double figures over ten different seasons in his career. He is Liverpools 4th top goalscorer of all time despite playing in midfield and has notched up over 20 goals at international level as well.

Over the course of his career he has played every role possible in the midfield, from tough tackling midfielder to playing behind the striker and then onto a deep playmaker. This gives me good flexibility for future picks as Gerrard is capable of playing many roles and playing in either a 2 or 3 man midfield.

The obvious thing going against Gerrard is that he has never won the PL. It would have been easy for me to pick another player with more trophies to their name but I chose who I genuinely believe to be the best available player and one of the most influential leaders to ever play the game. His performance in Istanbul will never be forgotten and was just one of many big games he shone in over his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Patrick Vieira (C)

A man signed for £3.5m in 1996 who went on to become arguably the best midfielder of Premier League era. A world cup winner with France along with being integral to European Championship winning side in 2000. He won the league in England 3 times with Arsenal captaining Arsenals incredible invincibles side. Named in the PFA team of the year for 6 years running, he also won the Premier League player of the year in 2001, Vieira was a key player as a leader in possibly the greatest Arsenal team in history and is always in discussion for the best premier league midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

alan-shearer.jpg

I'm surprised my pick was still available.

The leading goalscorer in Premier League history.

441 appearances, 260 Goals, 64 Assists

Golden boot winner 3 years in a row 95-97,

Player of the Season and Title winner in 94/95.

Mr. Alan Shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sorry for the delay lads, just home now. I’m going to go for the best player still available, and I’m surprised he didn’t go earlier.....

Paul Scholes.

A midfield general to pull the strings with an impeccable scoring record. I’ll give more of a write up for future picks, but this one needs no justification to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I always find that the best teams are built on a solid base, for my first pick I pick the most expensive defender in the world at the time and a catalyst of one of Fergusons best teams.

Rio Ferdinand

rio-ferdinand-7.jpg?w968h681

While Vidic would get the plaudits for his all action head anywhere displays, Ferdinand imo was the better of the 2, he had an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time. He once went through a whole season without making a slide tackle such was his ability to stay on his feet and win the ball.

He was extremely comfortable on the ball and a leader from the back, continuously starting attacks with his surges forward and his wide passing range. He had the pace to match most forwards in the game at the time.

He was at the heart of the defence during 6 League titles, 1 champions league, 2 league cups and has an individual honor list to match. Selected in the PFA team of the year on 6 occasions and the FifPro world XII during the CL winning season. He is widely regarded as one of the best CB's England have ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Busy day so wont go into major details on my desicion or a picture. But this guy was unplayable at his peak in the EPL, winning PFA player of the year twice and EPL player of the year.
    The Welsh Wizard

Gareth Bale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Comfortable in possession on both feet, he has every quality you want from a centre back. A leader with 18 seasons in the PL to his name.

**** person but a great player.

Welcome to the club John Terry.

405E0FCE00000578-0-John_Terry_wears_a_toy_crown_as_Chelsea_celebrate_their_title_tr-a-101_1494965983578.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

95557CD6FC0161DAF1A1169B910BCC9840B26EF7

I'm unsure when this guy would've been picked. I worry I've gone for him too soon but he's the first guy I would want on my team in a big game. The guy scored big goals against big teams in big games when it mattered the most. Possibly the best cup final player of all time.

My pick is Didier Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

My first pick is the man i believe kick started Uniteds dominance in the early years of the premiership!Lying 8th in the table when he joined in November 92, Utd went on to win their first league in 35 years by 10 points......

The King - Eric Cantona!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Shocked he hasn't been picked yet :pac:

But in all seriousness, this guy would have been my first pick outside of Henry and Ronaldo.

Undoubtedly the best Liverpool player I've seen in my 25 years following the club - the PFA Player of the Year in 13/14, Luis Suarez.

thumb_41068_default_news_size_5.jpeg

His 13/14 season was one of the greatest individual Premier League seasons produced, up there (or maybe even better) than anything Ronaldo and Henry produced in a single season.

A quite incredible 31 goals and 12 assists in just 33 games - no player putting up over 30 goals gets double figures in assists but Suarez did. And this was without penalties! If he had been on penalties (like his counterparts in Henry and Ronaldo) and secured a modest conversion rate we'd be talking about 40 goals and indisputably the greatest attacking season ever - that's how good he was, simply unstoppable that season, with unrivaled numbers.

He was not a flash in the pan either - the season previous he scored 23 in 33. This was all in a distinctly average Liverpool team that he was having to drag up by the scruff of its neck.

That's another reason I picked him - his determination, his fight and will to win is up there with anyone, and his work rate and pressing off the ball will be the first line of defence and cause headaches for any defender not comfortable on the ball. The fact he could be this type of player too while putting up the very best attacking numbers is just incredible and shows what a complete player he was.

Here's a reminder of how good he was at his peak:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Every squad needs a goal scorer and a work horse and a player that can play many positions and still influence and turn a game in a split second.

The amount of things that this man achieved at such a young age is astounding and is currently the second highest goal scorer in the Premier league he is without doubt at his peak in the top the top five players to grace the premierleague and can't believe he is down 15th pick

2kHs.gif

Welcome Wayne Rooney to my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,356 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

an absolute disgrace that I can pick this guy up at 16.

underrated by fans, underrated by the PFA, underrated by everyone in the Premier League bar the team he plays for, seemingly.

everyone said he was on the way out 18 months ago, and yet adapted to spearhead Man City's league dominance over the last 2 seasons.

a bona fide fúcking superstar.

Sergio 'Kun' Aguero

GettyImages-1076896298.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C429&ssl=1

this was tough. but I've gone for another superstar.

in my opinion, the best player in the Premier League over the last number of years - certainly the most talented, and has achieved more than many already picked.
    can win a game single handedly, while also having the ability to make others around him play.
    can play as a false 9, out wide, or even as a 10 if necessary.
    and a big game player.

couldn't resist the pick.

Eden Hazard

15591688771487.jpg

Ok so again after picking one of the best goal scorers ever to grace the premier league I needed to make sure I had someone to supply him with quality deliveries and also score goals himself so for that reason they do not get any greater then this man.

anigif-enhanced-buzz-637-1368714096-6.gif take a bow David Beckham.

I'll add to the disgust and outrage of players not yet being picked by pointing out that after 18 picks we only have 1 member of the greatest Premier League side picked so far. There may be some nostalgia going on with some of these older players being valued higher than some playing today. This player will no doubt be considered as good as or better than Scholes as a creative midfielder once he stops playing.

river?version=4697796&width=1340

Before being the heartbeat of Pep's steamrolling current side, he helped bring City up from a top 4 contender to league winners. Along with Aguero he's been the only mainstay of this first "noisy neighbuors" City team, into the current era of complete dominance that we thought was not possible in the Premier League (hitting 100 points).

City fans consider him their best ever, his teammate Aguero called him "City's greatest ever player", and Pep compares him to Xavi and Iniesta. 125 caps for Spain when he was competing with the above two as well as Xabi Alonso in Spain's greatest ever era winning 3 major international conpetitions in a row shows just how good he is too. That's how highly he's regarded - perhaps slightly underrated as much of his ability to dominate games, not lose the ball and be tenacious in his press does not neatly translate to easy stats or highlight packages, there's no doubt that those who closely watched him and played with him fully acknowledge him as on of the greatest Premier League midfielders and maybe the best outright playmaker.

Gives me flexibility in my team too as I can play him as a creative wide man, a no.10 or a central midfielder.

Only playing two full seasons without interruption by injuries,144 goals,53 assists in 280 games.Hit the woodwork 44 times over his PL career.Moving from Arsenal to Man Utd in 2012 and allegegly taking the number 20 jersey, believing that he would help Utd win their 20th league title.He done that and won the golden boot on the way!

One of the PL best strikers - Robin van Persie

• Advertisement

I'm stunned this guy has fallen to me in the second round. But I ain't complaining. One of the most consistent, reliable and intelligent players the league has seen. One of the best dribblers and crossers in the leagues history and always good for an important goal. My pick is

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPy8cX6bPTetRS4knCtENalED8sMyraKVr6yAPOsggJIFGWDKNcA

Ryan Giggs

For my second pick I'm going with the best left back the league has seen. A member of the invincible Arsenal side he would also go on to win the league with Chelsea. He'll link up nicely with his former team-mate

Welcome Ashley Cole

article-2206920-1525A6B2000005DC-497_634x405.jpg

Was tempted to pick this guy in the first round but thought he'd slip by. He was one of the best players in the league from 07-11 before moving back to his home club. Won 2 Euros and a WC in that time as well and still has the 2nd most assists in EPL history. Made a successful comeback with Chelsea winning 2 league titles (had always hoped we would tempt him to Utd that time). One of the best box to box players who never shirked playing against anyone.

Cesc Fabregas
    nld-arsenal-v-river-plate-5bbdbc3487de37217f000003.jpg

I was going to risk leaving this pick for another round but couldnt let Liamo pair him up with Henry, so it's more a tactical pick. His goal and assist stats playing mainly off the frontline were brilliant. But it was his silk touch and eye for a pass that really made the difference in an Arsenal team that were challenging at the top. He was a member of the team that won 3 PL and 4 FA cups. He will also give me a bit of leeway with formations as he can play AM, as a second striker or up top.

My second pick, the king of cool. Dennis Bergkamp. Who else could do this.

giphy.gif

It’s possible he mightn’t have been snapped up in this round but I couldn’t risk losing him to another team, so next up for me is a player who raises the game of anyone playing in the same team as him, especially in defence. He’s a centre half, he’s the number 4....

18f5fd40a7.jpeg

It’s Virgil van Dijk!

Without question, the best centre back in the league right now, and when it’s all said and done, will likely go down as one of the greatest based on last season’s form alone, at least. Much like Rio and Terry, he literally makes defending look easy, rarely has to go to ground to make a challenge which is the hallmark of a top class centre back. He’s just had a season where he’s lead the best defence in any of Europe’s major leagues, and to top that all off, he wasn’t dribbled past even once last season, in fact it hasn’t happened to him since March 2018!

There’s definitely no recency bias with this one, after a stellar season at Liverpool, he’s tipped by many as a favourite to win the Ballon d’Or, such is his influence on the team and the impact he’s made over the past season and a half. No defender has won the award or even been seriously in the conversation since 2006, so to even be spoken of in that circle is enough to warrant his status as the greatest centre back in the world right now.

Welcome to the club, Virgil van Dijk.

My second pick is one of the top players currently in the league.
    74 appearances for Liverpool 54 goals, a tailisman, 2017/2018 player of the season mo-salah

Mo Salah

Harry Kane
    Possibly a player who will feature more heavily in future talks like this one but at 26 and already becoming Tottenhams record goal scorer, named in the PFA team of the year 4 times and holding the record for most player of the months, Harry Kane is undoubtedly a man who can find the back of the net. Exceptional ability to lead the line as a lone striker and the one likely to get close to Shearers record should he remain in England

Nemanja Vidic

One of only 3 players to win Premier League player of the season more than once. Premier League winner 5 times. Team of the season four times. Champions League winner.

The man was an absolute rock of a centre half, didnt have the longevity of Terry and Ferdinand but aside from that he is on a par with them in terms of best central defenders to play in the league.

My next pick is one of the most physically imposing central defenders the Premier League has ever seen.

When Ferguson was asked his biggest mistake in management he said it was selling this man.

The rock at the heart of United's treble-winning team and a 3-time member of the PFA Team of the Season...
    1699817-35994772-640-360.jpg

...Jaap Stam.

Was a huge fan of Stam and he'd make my personal all-time United XI. Delighted to have him on board.

OGC Nice (Guys)

Pick #2: Jaap Stam

• Advertisement

Fernando Torres

CP4369021.jpg

Best player in the world behind Messi & Ronaldo for a time.

Would have been tempted by many of the last few picks but I think I need to be boring and go for the tried and tested. Guaranteed goals with the pairing I now have, adding Robert Pires. Equally capable of scoring or setting up and had a great understanding with Henry. Hard to move past him. Probably the best and most consistent left winger there's been in the league for the time he spent in it.

558ebe865bb9e7bba0376aa76fb675ad.jpg[img][/img]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Ok after much deliberation my two picks are yaya, yaya, yaya, yaya, yaya, yaya toure.

One of the best midfielders the premier league has seen and definitely an equal to to some of those gone in round one.

My second pick was more difficult but I have gone for someone who at at his peak was the best defender in the world. Even beyond his peak he lead his team to a league title with a huge contribution.

My captain Vincent Kompany

I feel there's a lot of players who can play in the other positions that I was considering but so few could play the role my next pick did that I doubt he'll make it back around. Probably the best deep lying playmaker in the league's history is Xabi Alonso.

soccer-friendly-liverpool-v-lazio-anfield-390x285.jpg

I feel him feeding Henry and Pires gives me a good technical base.

Sol Campbell
    Sol-Campbell-669907.jpg

Going for my striker now and I select one of the deadliest marksmen in Premier League history with 95 goals in 150 games.

He was the PFA Player of the Year in 01-02, was a 2-time member of the Team of the Season, a 3-time top scorer in the Champions League, and a former Premier League Golden Boot winner...

Ruud-van-Nistelrooy-2.jpg

...Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

As Roy Keane said when picking him for his United dream team in his documentary with Vieira, "When I saw him go through one on one with the goalkeeper, I just knew it was a goal."

One of my favourite strikers to watch. Always felt United had a chance of a goal with him in the team. If only they had a finisher like him these days!

OGC Nice (Guys)

Pick #2: Jaap Stam
    Pick #3: Ruud Van Nistelrooy

• Advertisement

N'Golo Kante

N-Golo-Kante-604503.jpg

The man at the heart of the biggest shock in Premier League (and possibly football) history when Leicester won the league in 2016. It was widely stated at the time that they would not have achieved it without this workhorse in the middle of midfield. In his first season in the Premier League he was a shoo in for the team of the season that year. He then showed just how influential he was by moving to Chelsea the following season and retaining the league title with them, again getting his place in team of the season and this time winning Premier League player of the season as well. Both title winning seasons he won his clubs players' player of the year which shows how highly thought of he is by his team mates

A world cup winner with France in this period as well, he is the epitome of a terrier in midfield and will be the perfect player to allow Gerrard to play further up the pitch where he is most effective.

Peter Schmeichel

Why cause he's the only goalkeeper jersey I ever had but in all seriousness the Great Dane was a force to be reckoned with, amazing in one on one and very rarely made a mistake. Integral in the success of Ferguson's first great side and amazing leader of defenders in front of him. A few of the Great cbs are gone already in this draft but Schmeichel doesn't need to play behind the best. Might be surprising for some to go for a keeper this early but I wanted him :D

A midfielder so good he pretty much had a position named after him.Regarded as one of the best ever players in his position No better man for protecting the defense Also known for his tenacity, awareness, consistency, and strong mentality. 144 appearances for Chelsea between 2003 and 2008, winner of two league titles, an Fa cup and two league cups during that time.

Claude Makelele

I'm going to add some much needed pace to the team now and what better man to lead the line than Michael Owen. Don't have time for a proper write up at the minute, but in his prime he was an absolute nightmare to defend against and I feel that Scholes would provide him with some outstanding service from midfield.

So far that's:

Scholes
    Van Dijk
    Owen

Adding to the spine of my team again with this pick, the modern day Makelele, one of the players that makes City tick and has plenty of honors.

Fernandinho

451764_1.jpg

Picks:
    Ferdinand
    Bergkamp
    Fernandinho

• Advertisement

Keeping up the trend of DM being picked I had Kante and Makelele earmarked but missed out so going with my 3rd choice. 
    This guy was one of the most important members of the invincibles and worked well with my other midfield pick Fabregas. He came as a world cup winner  and was very underrated and never properly replaced by Arsenal. A good DM was essential to my plans so happy to have him onboard

gilberto-silva-4325.jpg
    Gilberto Silva

Think I'll go with the best player left on the board imo.

The leader of that famous Arsenal defence inherited by Arsene Wenger.

First-teamer at 17, captain at 21, 669 appearances. 3 times in the team of the year.

Tony Adams

Tony-Adans.jpg

With my third pick I must take who I believe is not only the best midfielder left on the board but a better player than a few midfielders picked before him.

luka-modric_2283943b.jpg

Luka Modric

One of the primary reasons Spurs developed from a routinely mid table club to a serious contender for the top 4. Very few in Premier League history could dictate the tempo of a game like this guy. He had the final ball, a decent shot and composure for days. Pretty much the perfect modern midfielder.

My next pick will be Kevin De Bruyne

Easy enough pick now, to take what I believe is probably the last truly world class centre-back left in the draw:

soccer-axa-fa-cup-final-chelsea-v-aston-8386072.jpg.webp

He joined Chelsea 21 years ago and Chelsea were not quite up there as title challengers at this stage, so maybe some of you don't remember much about him. So how good was Marcel Desailly in his Chelsea years (98-04)?

He joined Chelsea right after the 1998 World Cup, where he formed part of a formidable back line, the first great defensive line I witnessed watching football, that was the foundation for France's World Cup win (they conceded just twice all tournament). 2 years later they won the European Cup and he was integral again. There's no doubt he was at his peak in his Chelsea years.

He was named in the team of the tournament for both those competitions, as well as in Euro 1996. 116 caps (so an ever present) and a captain for France during an era where, overall you would have to say were the best in the world.

He won two Champions Leagues with two different clubs before joining Chelsea (possibly my first ever footballing memory is him scoring in the 4-0 trouncing of Barcelona).

Named in the team of the decade in the Premier League 10 Seasons Awards, so considered one of the 2 best centre backs of the early Premier League years.

He was fast and athletic, as well as being extremely good on the ball (so much so that he could play in midfield for a great Milan team of the 90s). He was in many ways a modern day centre-back before the game had moved onto this era.

This will give me flexibility to possibly use him as a DM, but most importantly comfort on the ball and pace to deal with modern day forwards who press hard and are more about pace and trickery. Have a feeling having a proper footballer at centre back will be vital for how my team is going to play.

Can't believe this guy has been overlooked for some of the more Limited midfielders that have been picked before him, he is without doubt one of the best all round midfielders to grace the premier league.

He had supreme defending ability he could intercept passes and read the game better then anyone and his passing range was sublime he was equally comfortable driving forward from deep midfield to assist or get onto a chance on goal.

download.jpg

My third pick and inside the best 5 midfielders ever to grace the premier league is Emanuel Petit.

WAYNE ROONEY
    DAVID BECKHAM
    EMANUEL PETIT

Back to back Premier League champion.
    Part of the first Double in Chelsea's history.
    Players' Player of the Year at a time when Terry, Lampard and Drogba were in their pomp.
    Talked about by many as better than JT while he was there.

Supreme reader of the game, and underrated when it comes to his actual defending. Mourinho was desperate for him when at Chelsea, got his man for a hefty €30m (it was back then), and the rest is history. Some of the best defensive statistics for a team in the history of the Premier League.

Ricardo Carvalho

ricardo-carvalho-chelsea_3146511.jpg?20140523162215

love this guy.

part of a nucleus at Liverpool which would have won the League if it wasn't for the Utd juggernaut at the end of the 00s.

reads the game beautifully, isn't afraid to put his foot in, a leader on the pitch and gets up the opposition's noses (who doesn't love that?).

Benitez called him a 'monster of a player'.
    Alonso called him ' a thinker and reader of the game'.

He is 'El Jefecito', the 'Little Chief', who played 147 times for Argentina.

Javier Mascherano

PA-8772593.jpg

Team:
    Aguero
    Hazard
    Carvalho
    Mascherano

Ok so my next pic is undoubtedly going to be my leader on the pitch but also without a shadow of a doubt gives me the strongest right hand side pairing ever to grace the premier league he will overlap Beckham all day long and fire in pinpoint crosses when Beckham is after cutting inside

Competent-Remote-Alpinegoat-size-restricted.gif

Gary Nevile

Picks so far

WAYNE ROONEY
    DAVID BECKHAM
    EMANUEL PETIT
    GARY NEVILE

Very glad that this chap has made his way back round to me. A mainstay and integral part of United's most impressive period in my opinion, won everything there was to win.

1-3.jpg

United had gone 3 seasons without winning the league when they signed him in the summer of 06. In the next 7 seasons until Fergie retired, United won 5 of those 7, made the Champions League final 3 times and won 1. Carrick started all 3 of those finals.

The period after Fergie left was obviously not as good for Carrick and United, but he still had incredible longevity at the highest level, the only prolonged period where United could really be considered a consistent dominant force in Europe compared to their patchy attempts in the 90s.

He was a smart player, more in the mould of Alonso than Mascherano or Kante, where his intelligence and reading of the game allowed him to stop attacks. One of those players that maybe only the fans of the club that watch him week in week out fully appreciate, but make no mistake you weren't getting into this United team week in week out without being a world class player.

Very classy and comfortable on the ball too, described by Xavi as "a complete player" and by Guardiola as "one of the best holding midfielders I've ever seen in my life", will fit in nicely with the other classy footballers in my team so far.

1. Luis Suarez
    2. David Silva
    3. Marcel Desailly
    4. Michael Carrick

• Advertisement
Advertisement