Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread 2019

• 21-06-2019 8:07pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Feedback thread for 2019 is now open. The following are the rules for the thread, so be aware of them before posting.

Timeline:
    Please note, as per usual, this thread will be locked a week from now and will be reviewed by the Mods, Cmods and Admins.

Rules:
    Trolling, abuse or breaches of the charter in this thread will be an immediate infraction and 2 week ban for anyone who breaches the rules. If you want to post in this thread you are agreeing to accept this rule, we want this thread to run smoothly as its all in your vested interests.

Couple of basic ground rules before we get going:

(1) This isn't a platform to attack individuals or Moderators. This isn't to turn into a witch hunt against people you don't like. This is your chance to tell us what we should or should not be doing.

(2) If someone makes a point that you don't agree with then either respond in a constructive manner with a decent counter-point or don't respond at all. Attempted witty one liners to undermine an argument are pointless and will not be tolerated. Most of the time you think you're being funny, you're not. If you think it's not a good idea outline reasons why you think it's not going to work instead of dragging the thread wildly off topic.

(3) Please, when you're making a point take a second to THINK about it and make sure it's what you actually want. So make sure when you're asking for something to happen that you realise it's going to effect you too, not just other users.

(4) As usual, we'll be using 'Thanks' to work out what suggestions seem the most supported, so if you agree what someone says thank their post and it gives us a better idea and makes it easier to keep track that trying to add up loads of individual posts. This is your chance to have your say so if you have an issue and you think it needs to be resolved mention it, but please remember this isn't a place to grind your axe, try be constructive in your input.

(5) Let's have a grown up discussion.

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ban everyone, make it easy for next season.

Sorry. Seriously now though, I have very little to say this year, I think things have been going well. Some things are annoying, but they are very much under the business as usual heading that will happen regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,738 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Much smoother year.

A lot of trouble makers seem to have disappeared? Not sure, but it's quieter anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I've been following the soccer forum since i joined but only after this season did i decide to look for soccer access.

It's the most amicable I've seen it, long may it continue.

Good job, keep doing whatever it is ye are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Agree with those noting that it’s been very calm recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Are mods actually going to answer questions about the state of the forum or is this just another back slapping, box ticking exercise?

When I say mods, I don't mean Cmods or Admins, I mean the actual forum mods, the ones that are supposed to mod the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Inconsistency. It's no surprise it's sunshine and lollipops from a group of supporters who follow a trophy winning team and death and despair from their rivals who won nothing but it shouldn't mask how reported posts are dealt with, or ignored.

Active mods are the ones actioning contentious posts, so they're the ones in the firing line which is unfair. Maybe a list of how many mod actions each mod took this season might be useful.

Also, it seems there has there been more day to day moderation from Cat Mods and Admins than previously? If the season has been so calm and quiet, why are they the ones doing the moderation.

Either dump the charter or moderate to it would be my suggestion.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The charter is just as meaningless and irrelevant as it was last year.

Actions are totally random based on whatever post is randomly judged to have broke the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

INCONSISTENCIES.

Why is one poster barred from using a super thread and warned about using the thank button as a tool to try wind up other supporters but another is poster is doing it freely.

Why are abusive post against a player or public person jumped on straight away (and rightly so) for some people but not for others even tho they are reported.

Why is any attempt of people trying to express their views on how poor the soccer forums are run and moderated always shut down and brushed aside as a fanbaseof sore lose even tho we can clearly see that supporters from various teams have expressed concerns in the help desk over past 12 months.

Why was last year's feedback thread not followed up on it was just closed with no feedback giving afterwards.

Why has the soccer forums got to a state that people are going around making up fake profiles just so they can abuse other users via private message as much as possible before it's banned.

The boards soccer forum has turned into a disgusting place to post in most other boards communities they have rules and they are followed and policied but in the soccer forums we have mods ignoring complaints and questions of clarification and shutting down users looking for answers and brushing them aside and its all down to mods been allowed use the excuse of common sense modding.

Common sense modding doesn't work in soccer forums because it's tribal it goes beyond being impartial and it's allowed ruin an entire section of boards.

I fully expect this feedback thread to go like last year.... A lot of posters complaining and a lot to other posters trying to shut them down and claim all is fine and dandy. The thread will be closed in a weeks time and filed away beside last year's thread.

For that reason I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Soooooooo what’s the results from last years feedback thread? What changes were made? What actions were taken? I just want to clarify this before wasting my time on this thread!

I LOVE the way ye sent the “new” mod in to open this feedback thread. I guess the other mods “must have missed it”

Peatys wrote: »
    I've been following the soccer forum since i joined but only after this season did i decide to look for soccer access.

It's the most amicable I've seen it, long may it continue.

Good job, keep doing whatever it is ye are doing.
    Most amicable you’ve seen it in 2 years or were you a member previously do you mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »

I fully expect this feedback thread to go like last year

Indeed.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Most amicable you’ve seen it in 2 years or were you a member previously do you mind me asking?

As Rick Deckard i signed up in about 2009 i think. But one of the lads in the office ratted that i was on boards during work hours, so i closed that account, and basically lurked for a while till i had a question about broadband i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The lack of regular match threads for Premier League games helps as they always have to get closed when usually the same bunch of clowns bicker after the result as if it's achieving something in between fleeing to the humour thread to post nonsense there to be thanked by the same geeks.

The mods have definitely been more consistent this season. Trolls have been dispatched pretty swiftly imo and it's helped the forum.

MrMac84 wrote: »

But even in the last two seasons i think the fact the pool lads aren't laying into the utd thread bashing them is a good thing, also the lads who came into the pool thread to congratulate them on no6..

Yea there's always the knobs who'll look for a rise, but they're just ***** regardless of what jersey they wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

The Man United superthread was as bad as I’ve ever seen it up until the last couple of months. It has improved a bit after a few long overdue forum/thread bans.
    It’s no coincidence that all came about during a period where there was no United supporting moderator on the team.

That will be brushed off as irrelevant and I’ll be told that there’s no mod bias when there clearly is but aside from that, there’s no mod that has a feel for that thread. The 2 Liverpool mods know how the Liverpool thread works, the in-jokes, the posters that are slagging each other or players in an amicable way, they can see the posters that are constantly riling up their fellow supporters but staying between the lines of the charter. Same goes for the 2 Arsenal mods and the Chelsea mod and the Spurs mod.

All the other fast moving superthreads have one or two mods. The two busiest (excluding the United thread) have two.
    There is nobody on the mod team that regularly contributes to the United thread and nobody that has a feel for how it runs, so then you get mods only really coming in when there’s a reported post and taking that in isolation, often being too lenient or too harsh.

An admin tried to step in to fill the gap a few months ago just to be seen to be doing something and that just epitomised the whole point of this post. He put a rival poster up on a pedestal by making him an example of how rival fans should post in a superthread and then thread banned him soon after. I’m not having a go at the admin, it’s just a perfect example of how out of touch with the thread someone can be if they don’t participate.

The busy threads in soccer have more posts per day than many complete fora across the site that have numerous mods and category mods to oversee them.

Many users have stopped using the United thread, I’ve been chatting to them on other platforms and they all feel it’s gone to sh*te. I’m sure this will try to be passed off as United not doing well and people are leaving and only complaining because of that but there’s been much worse seasons than this in recent memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

1/ Yellow card for trolling should be automatic thread ban for poster.

2/ 2 yellow cards for trolling in superthreads should be permanent ban from said superthread. Due to point 1 this would obviously be after returning in next iteration of superthread.

A version of this has cleaned up the obvious trolls from the utd superthread recently. (but my point is a general point, not towards any thread or superthread)

The Man United superthread was as bad as I’ve ever seen it up until the last couple of months. It has improved a bit after a few long overdue forum/thread bans.
    It’s no coincidence that all came about during a period where there was no United supporting moderator on the team.

That will be brushed off as irrelevant and I’ll be told that there’s no mod bias when there clearly is but aside from that, there’s no mod that has a feel for that thread. The 2 Liverpool mods know how the Liverpool thread works, the in-jokes, the posters that are slagging each other or players in an amicable way, they can see the posters that are constantly riling up their fellow supporters but staying between the lines of the charter. Same goes for the 2 Arsenal mods and the Chelsea mod and the Spurs mod.

All the other fast moving superthreads have one or two mods. The two busiest (excluding the United thread) have two.
    There is nobody on the mod team that regularly contributes to the United thread and nobody that has a feel for how it runs, so then you get mods only really coming in when there’s a reported post and taking that in isolation, often being too lenient or too harsh.

Appreciate what you you're saying about having a United supporting mod, but if mods left "their" team/interest threads more often and just moderated reported posts as they receive them from whatever thread/poster, you wouldn't have the active mods (who happen to support rival teams) actioning posts all the time, and being viewed as biased as a result.*

The team they support really shouldn't matter, the in jokes shouldn't matter, whether you understand them or not shouldn't matter, if they meet the charter they're okay, if they don't, then moderate them. (which could mean discussing the post with a poster, or deletion, or carding it)

*that was a very long sentence which despite my best efforts I couldn't shorten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don’t know if things are better but it’s definitely quieter as a lot of United fans seem to have departed the site.

Main issues for me would be ‘missed’ posts depending on who posts them. And the different sanctions depending on the poster. If poster a and b post the exact same thing and poster a gets a yellow then poster b should get a yellow. When poster b’s post disappears to be ‘dealt with’ off thread it’s obvious what’s happening.

A group United fans seem to have an issue with a particular mod. If there’s an actual issue or not there needs to be some process of addressing it. I know when Liverpool fans were targeted by mods it pretty much killed the thread and there was nothing that could be done by the posters until mods had no choice but to intervene.

Also hate to be the person that brings this up but there should be some basic level of spelling, grammar, and ability to use the basic functions of the site. I get that with phones and predictive text that mistakes will creep into posts but if 50% of the words in your post are misspelled it’s an eyesore and disrupts threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Appreciate what you you're saying about having a United supporting mod, but if mods left "their" team/interest threads more often and just moderated reported posts as they receive them from whatever thread/poster, you wouldn't have the active mods (who happen to support rival teams) actioning posts all the time, and being viewed as biased as a result.*

The team they support really shouldn't matter, the in jokes shouldn't matter, whether you understand them or not shouldn't matter, if they meet the charter they're okay, if they don't, then moderate them. (which could mean discussing the post with a poster, or deletion, or carding it)

*that was a very long sentence which despite my best efforts I couldn't shorten.

See that’s the thing, the charter is black and white one day and grey the next.

• Advertisement

Agree 100%

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Also hate to be the person that brings this up but there should be some basic level of spelling, grammar, and ability to use the basic functions of the site. I get that with phones and predictive text that mistakes will creep into posts but if 50% of the words in your post are misspelled it’s an eyesore and disrupts threads.

Repeated butchering of the quotes feature aswell. You need to have a certain amount of posts before you can get access to soccer. Mangled quotes are just a huge block of text that makes no sense as the attempted quote blends with the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭SM01

Generally the forum seems okay recently, in terms of actual discussions are breaking out.

One thing that would help immensely during the on-season is just cutting the shìte-banter/slagging that constantly crops up between United and Pool supporters, regardless of the thread title. It's the same gobshìtes all the time. Restrict it to a particular thread to give them an outlet but otherwise keep it to a minimum and have a zero tolerance for those who revel in the banter-cnut carry-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

SM01 wrote: »
    Generally the forum seems okay recently, in terms of actual discussions are breaking out.

One thing that would help immensely during the on-season is just cutting the shìte-banter/slagging that constantly crops up between United and Pool supporters, regardless of the thread title. It's the same gobsìtes all the time. Restrict it to a particular thread to give them an outlet but otherwise keep it to a minimum and have a zero tolerance for those to revel in the banter-cnut behaviour.

Allow chat in the humour thread and leave that in there and allow anyone that wants to have a serious debate without windups stick to the super threads.

Well you have Admins admitting when they look at reported posts they check a posters history and cards before actioning. So the charter is Allways Grey when that’s the case as if you’ve never been carded you’ll be let off where as someone who’s come to their attention won’t be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The mods have definitely been more consistent this season. Trolls have been dispatched pretty swiftly imo and it's helped the forum.

Yet there's been complaint after complaint by posters supporting various teams (so tribalism can't be blamed) about the glaring inconsistencies in the modding of the forum. Just because one cohort gets away Scott free with trolling,baiting,abuse and generally being wums doesn't mean "mods are more consistent". It just means that the moderation has suited them.
    We've seen posters express glee in anticipation of this thread being open just to go on the wind up and straight off the bat it started. Thinly and not so thinly veiled digs thrown in.

Whoop Dee Do,ye won a trophy and didn't get the response ye craved from a huge amount of opposition fans and then proclaimed that "the forum is much better". Nah,posters are sick and tired of the abuse and trolling that develops when trying to engage so simply didn't bother as such abuse has been let slide. Do not even try to deny the cross thread baiting that has and is still going on, hoping opposition posters will be provoked into a reaction. It's so constant that it's the norm and mods just ignore it while anyone deemed to do similar in other threads gets swift justice.
    Do you not find that odd when so many who support a variety of clubs have the self same complaint,yet you see the exact opposite? Says a lot really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Think Will I Am's post hit several nails on the head.

To echo though, I'm a big fan of the thread bans that cropped up a few weeks back, and I think as a result of targeting four or five repeat offenders, the whole CL thing barely registered in the United thread, beyond genuine discussions about how it affected us. I'd be a big fan of seeing more of that sort of thing, hitting repeat offenders to help facilitate discussions. The overwhealming vast majority of posters seem to detest the inter-thread taunting, and the fact a thread ban against half a dozen people facilitated a decrease in that behavious is proof that it can be tackled, if there's a will to.

I also wanted to note that the level of soapboxing has dropped drastically in the last few weeks. "Soapboxing" was a massive, massive issue in the United thread this season, with a very small handful of posters utterly refusing to talk about anything but one or two subjects, and continually making sure any other arguments were either dragged in or drowned out. Having 10,000 posts about one subject, going round and round and round, is incredibly tedious and damaging to facilitating discussions. I've voiced my frustrations with everything being condensed into a single "superthread" before, but this season seemed to be the worst yet for struggling to have multiple discussions going simultaneously.

I also do not believe it's a coincidence that this issue resolved itself when one regular user got a lengthy ban, and two others with very similar traits vanished nearly simultaneously, and I'd be really hoping the mods and admins saw their actions had a real benefit on the thread itself. In way of feedback, I would really like to see mods and admins come crashing down on serial soapboxers, who very obviously have no real desire to engage in good faith discussions (and that's being kind; my own personal take is that many are doing it as a form of low level trolling, cause they can get away with it so freely....)

Agree. The removal of consistent soapboxers helped discussion massively.

Agreed. Thread bans have been a great success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Damien360

SM01 wrote: »

One thing that would help immensely during the on-season is just cutting the shìte-banter/slagging that constantly crops up between United and Pool supporters, regardless of the thread title. It's the same gobshìtes all the time. Restrict it to a particular thread to give them an outlet but otherwise keep it to a minimum and have a zero tolerance for those who revel in the banter-cnut carry-on.

Agree with this. Between the two threads there are the same 3 or 4 on each thread that cross threads regularly to do nothing more than bait. And one Arsenal fan and a lone City fan that post in each thread just to annoy.

Incursions across each of the main threads should be met with ban. That would keep the main threads cleaner.

Open one "cross-over" thread with an access request like the general soccer forum. Make it easier for the mods to deal with. Prevent viewing without access if possible. The mod here would know the "banter" between the usuals and slap down anything out of charter rules. All the troublemakers in one place. Lengthy bans from this thread for trouble. Mods from each faction would be required here.

Yet there's been complaint after complaint by posters supporting various teams (so tribalism can't be blamed) about the glaring inconsistencies in the modding of the forum. Just because one cohort gets away Scott free with trolling,baiting,abuse and generally being wums doesn't mean "mods are more consistent". It just means that the moderation has suited them.
    We've seen posters express glee in anticipation of this thread being open just to go on the wind up and straight off the bat it started. Thinly and not so thinly veiled digs thrown in.

Whoop Dee Do,ye won a trophy and didn't get the response ye craved from a huge amount of opposition fans and then proclaimed that "the forum is much better". Nah,posters are sick and tired of the abuse and trolling that develops when trying to engage so simply didn't bother as such abuse has been let slide. Do not even try to deny the cross thread baiting that has and is still going on, hoping opposition posters will be provoked into a reaction. It's so constant that it's the norm and mods just ignore it while anyone deemed to do similar in other threads gets swift justice.
    Do you not find that odd when so many who support a variety of clubs have the self same complaint,yet you see the exact opposite? Says a lot really.

A lot of anger in this post. I don't agree with any of it tbh. One cohort getting away with it stuff is far fetched. It's this type of tribilism that manifests into negativity. The bias thing was dismissed by Beasty and tbh I haven't seen any of it. Trolls are treated equally as far as I can see.

The mods are doing a decent job, getting rid of trolls and soapboxers as mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think we, the users have to be more proactive - I'm sure I'm fairly typical in that when I see something that could be considered marginal, "troll-ish" I just shrug and move on rather than report it. I tend to feel the mods have enough to be getting on with, that I might be the only one who bothers and that whichever Mod in question sees the report will not take any action anyway.

This is of course precisely what troublemakers are relying on in part.

So I think from here on we should all report every post that is (outside of thread humour context) designed to rile, annoy, provoke and not get bored with doing so once the initial empowered excitement has worn off! :)

And obviously the mods will be expected to take action both through cards but also a helpful PM which does more than merely list why the card was issued - and if Peter Poster still racks up a succession of yellows in short order and gets banned - tough.

I think from here on we should all report every post that is (outside of thread humour context) designed to rile, annoy, provoke and not get bored with doing so once the initial empowered excitement has worn off!

The only issue with that is that you'd get posters who aren't in on the many many in-jokes reporting what they think is trolling.

Or worse, pretending they're not in on the injokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

All abuse of players/managers should be a yellow card offence per the soccer forum charter. Abuse of users should be a Red card offence.
    Minor Offences (including but not limited to):
    Abuse of players.
    Threadspoiling
    Flamebaiting in threads.
    Debating moderation in threads.
    Mild flaming or trolling.
    Provocation.
    Derailing or off topic posting in super threads.
    Accusing a member of trolling/being a troll
    Misuse of the Reported Post system
    Back-seat moderation
    Abusing through the thanks system (thanking abusive posts)

Major Offences (including but not limited to):
    Blatant or deliberate breach of charter.
    Misuse of tagging system
    Abuse of users.
    Flaming
    Trolling
    Breaking a boards.ie rule

This rule is probably one of the most inconsistently applied rules on the forum. When in essence it should be black and white. There was previously an update from a feedback thread that allows leeway during matches, due to the immediate emotional reaction, this should be done away with. Anyone that opens boards, clicks reply to a thread, writes a post, (probably checks for errors) and clicks posts could not be deemed an immediate emotional reaction. There should be absolutely no leeway with regards to any form of abuse.

The problem in the SF, and across Boards as a whole is the level of consistency in moderation and implementation of the charters, and while we cannot expect mods to be on at all times due to having real lives we should expect that the report post feature is looked at and actioned if deemed in breach when they do come on be it a couple of hours/days later. One problem seems to be that as the mods have not been active for a couple of hours/days that the conversations have passed and the threads have moved on so they seem to leave the posts from this time unactioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

A lot of anger in this post. I don't agree with any of it tbh.

You’d have to be incredibly bias not to agree with any of it or just plain ignorant. I don’t frequent the Liverpool thread much but could point you to clear abuse of the charter in the United thread and the disproportionate punishments handed out.

As has been pointed out I’m sure you’re delighted with how the Liverpool thread is being run, quit playing dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Less bile posing as "banter" from rival fans on all sides would be great.

There are a couple of posters who are more interested in that kind of behaviour than actually supporting their own team.

It's a difficult one though and some of the offenders try to muddy the waters.

I think an illustrative example would be the Barca-Liverpool first leg match thread. The ****housery being passed off as "banter" in that thread is just so inconsistent with some of the victimisation claims in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

jayo26 wrote: »
    Allow chat in the humour thread and leave that in there and allow anyone that wants to have a serious debate without windups stick to the super threads.

Humour Thread should be locked tbh.

It would work great if it served as an isolated cesspit for the United vs Liverpool bickering that everyone else could ignore if they wanted to.

But it doesn't. Just both sets of fans taking pot shots at each other that further degrades any sense of harmony on the forum and inevitably spills out into other threads.

noodler wrote: »
    Less bile posing as "banter" from rival fans on all sides would be great.

There are a couple of posters who are more interested in that kind of behaviour than actually supporting their own team.

It's a difficult one though and some of the offenders try to muddy the waters.

I think an illustrative example would be the Barca-Liverpool first leg match thread. The ****housery being passed off as "banter" in that thread is just so inconsistent with some of the victimisation claims in this one.

True but while we are at it worth noting that the PSG-United first leg match thread could also be an illustrative example (if thats whats needed here). The ****housery being passed off as "banter" in that thread is just so consistent with some of the victimisation claims in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭giveitholly

beno619 wrote: »
    You’d have to be incredibly bias not to agree with any of it or just plain ignorant. I don’t frequent the Liverpool thread much but could point you to clear abuse of the charter in the United thread and the disproportionate punishments handed out.

As has been pointed out I’m sure you’re delighted with how the Liverpool thread is being run, quit playing dumb.

In the run up to the United home game to Liverpool the Liverpool thread had to be closed because of posters coming in having the 'banter'. It goes on in both threads from a minority so no point putting all the blame on Liverpool posters,there are a few on both sides only looking to troll plus an arsenal supporter who only ever seems to post in the Liverpool thread about how much he hates Liverpool

In the run up to the United home game to Liverpool the Liverpool thread had to be closed because of posters coming in having the 'banter'.

Woah there holly was that not closed because of Hillsbrough memorial?

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »

One 'group' is getting away with things and another isn't.

Show the evidence of this conspiracy. Are mods in on it too? Sorry, not buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I just don't get the whole tribalism thing on this forum. I'm a Liverpool fan with family, friends and work colleagues who support other teams, many of them United fans. Any banter is light hearted and good natured. I can have discussions with United fans about United and they can chat about Liverpool to me and it never descends in to the childish crap I see posted on here regularly derailing threads.

The General Premier League Thread was regularly derailed by Liverpool vs United bickering all season. It's almost always the same contributors, so it shouldn't be hard for mods to issue warnings to these posters. It's off putting for posters whose only interest is actual discussion. Post something decent and watch it get swallowed up never to be seen by the tit for tat rubbish regularly posted.

If some posters want to spend most of their time here posting "banter" or lol at posts then maybe expand the humour thread to include any banter related posts. Set up some rules in that thread so that certain lines are never crossed. It should free up the other threads for actual discussion. I would like to see it strictly enforced to include posters of one club posting ****house posts in their teams discussion thread about rival teams. It's a regular feature of both the Liverpool and Manchester United discussion threads I'd like to see gone.

I can't comment in modding consistencies or inconsistencies since I have never reported a post and tend to ignore as best i can. That aside some posters who post regularly here need to grow up and take some responsibility for their own contributions to the forum.

I find it amazing that the same people who were straight in trying to wind up opposition fans after the Barcelona first leg can complain about being subjected to “attacks” and “bias” etc, etc. The accusations of modding bias were directly addressed by the admin team in a Helpdesk thread and found to be baseless. It’s time to let that chestnut go. And on a general level - as the Barcelona first leg / second leg comparison illustrates clearly - the calmness on the forum is coupled with results on the football pitch.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I find it amazing that the same people who were straight in trying to wind up opposition fans after the Barcelona first leg can complain about being subjected to “attacks” and “bias” etc, etc. The accusations of modding bias were directly addressed by the admin team in a Helpdesk thread and found to be baseless. It’s time to let that chestnut go. And on a general level - as the Barcelona first leg / second leg comparison illustrates clearly - the calmness on the forum is coupled with results on the football pitch.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

A lot of anger in this post. I don't agree with any of it tbh. One cohort getting away with it stuff is far fetched. It's this type of tribilism that manifests into negativity. The bias thing was dismissed by Beasty and tbh I haven't seen any of it. Trolls are treated equally as far as I can see.

The mods are doing a decent job, getting rid of trolls and soapboxers as mentioned above.

There is bias applied and just because beasty set out his stall and backed the mods to the hilt doesn't make it any less true.

There is a huge amount of protection applied to the liverpool thread.

A united fan was pmd by a mod and told to stop thanking posts in the thread. Not abusive or troll posts, just regular posts. Do you think that would happen anywhere else across the entire site, that people can complain about who thanks posts and has mods tell them to stop doing it.

There has been constant and consistent baiting and name dropping of one united fan in particular. The obsession that many lfc fans have about this poster, what he posts and where he posts is as bizarre as anything I've ever seen on the site.

I have reported posts that clearly are against the charter but in a number of cases no action was taken. It's very clear cut, breach of the charter is a breach of the charter and the same rules should apply to everyone but that simply does not happen. The excuse that mods cant read every post only washes if the posts aren't reported. If they are reported they are seen by multiple mods yet it's a case of pick and choose when to apply the charter or not.

When one mod is calling the shots on the forum then how they view things will be the order of the day rather than applying the common sense approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I just don't get the whole tribalism thing on this forum. I'm a Liverpool fan with family, friends and work colleagues who support other teams, many of them United fans. Any banter is light hearted and good natured. I can have discussions with United fans about United and they can chat about Liverpool to me and it never descends in to the childish crap I see posted on here regularly derailing threads.

Welcome to the internet.

It would work great if it served as an isolated cesspit for the United vs Liverpool bickering that everyone else could ignore if they wanted to.

But it doesn't. Just both sets of fans taking pot shots at each other that further degrades any sense of harmony on the forum and inevitably spills out into other threads.

This seems like a good suggestion.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Again focusing on the Liverpool - Barca thread when the same stuff happened in the United - PSG first leg thread.

Yep this thread will be as much use as last years then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I find that the same posters who post crap in the humour thread are generally trolling outside that thread too, some even inexplicably complain about stuff posted in it but then contribute to it , mind boggling ignorance! Good idea to get rid of that thread altogether, it'll stop people getting their trolling thrills.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Again focusing on the Liverpool - Barca thread when the same stuff happened in the United - PSG first leg thread.

Yep this thread will be as much use as last years then.

But only one side is complaining about bias and witch-hunting mods and posters out of the forum. The worst thing to be is a hypocrite.

And if you’ve a negative fatalistic attitude then, yes, this forum (or any forum after a while) is probably a waste of time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement