Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some people enjoy being assholes

Options
  • 24-07-2019 7:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭

It doesn't cost anything to be nice. It doesn't cost anything to apologise when you're in the wrong. So why are some people permanent dickheads?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

F+ck off ya prick

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

But what if they are only putting on a front of being nice but don't mean it?

Is this the 'apology' syndrome again??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I agree,

I held a door open for some business type chap, like one of them holding the door where he needed to walk another 5 or 6 paces. No thanks. I asked him if he had any manners and he looked all shocked i called him out, he started to go bright red as a few people heard me say it and he scuttled off

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It doesn't cost anything to be nice. It doesn't cost anything to apologise when you're in the wrong. So why are some people permanent dickheads?

Here, go get a blog or go on Bebo hunnn xoxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

I generally try to be a nice person but I believe society sometimes incentivises you to be an asshole.

Example: I had to take my brother to A and E a few months ago. We were waiting for hours, politely asking every now and then when a doctor would be around - nothing. After 6 or 7 hours I made a conscious decision to start making a fuss, complaining in very strong terms to the nurses and a passing doctor - he was seen in minutes.

I am pretty sure it would have been another few hours if I hadn't started being a bit of a d1ck about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Aw there not worth it hun your better then them dont fourget that xxxxxx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

stupid phucking thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I agree,

I held a door open for some business type chap, like one of them holding the door where he needed to walk another 5 or 6 paces. No thanks. I asked him if he had any manners and he looked all shocked i called him out, he started to go bright red as a few people heard me say it and he scuttled off

I hate when people just ignore you after holding the door. Most people in Ireland will thank you.

Go abroad and you'll be lucky to be even acknowledged. I think Irish culture in general makes people a lot more polite than people abroad. That's the first thing I notice when I arrive back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

Humans are a disgusting species

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think there are people in this life who are thankfully very much in the minority, who derive pleasure from being unpleasant and causing difficulties for others. I can think of an individual in particular in my old job who just would zone in on anyone who was even just disagreeing with him politely in a meeting or who was enjoying some sort of career boost. If anything or anyone was perceived to be successful or helpful without his input to enable credit for himself he'd too be picking holes in what they were doing AND them...

Example :

Boss -“ok Kevin has taken on the training rehearsals and managed to get all of his line work done ahead of time, well done”.

Him - “ that’s grand but could this time not be spent better in the warehouse giving a dig out, the lads might appreciate that “

Me - “ Kevin wasn’t employed to work in a warehouse, he is doing HIS job, and well”

Him - “ ahhh I know, just the lads in this heat might appreciate the dig out and when they see you fellas down there they feel more appreciated “

Me - “ they feel when they see us like sending two of their lads off doing jobs not due from them till much later so they get ‘ahead’, we end up struggling to finish on time while them with an hour to go in their shift are sitting down drinking tea watching tv.

Him - “well they appreciate it”

Do your job, well, but only YOUR job and from MINUTE ONE...DO NOT ENABLE ASSHOLES...mark their card straight away, be brave, call them out, they are always cowards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A lot of people classified as ‘assholes’, ‘dickheads’, ‘bellends’, ‘fückknuckles’, ‘ballbags’ are actually winners in life. Successful, wealthy, good looking etc.

While some of the people doing the classifying are the real assholes. Ineffectual and angry men spending their days on the internet jawing about people who they are unconsciously deeply jealous of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

There are three types of people in this world: assholes, pussies and dicks...

Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get ****ed by dicks.

But dicks also **** assholes — assholes who just want to **** on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can **** an asshole is a dick, with some balls.

The problem with dicks is that they **** too much or **** when it isn't appropriate — and it takes a pussy to show them that.

But sometimes, pussies can be so full of **** that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are only an inch and half away from assholes.

I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know that if you don't let us **** this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

In my experience, Consideration is a dirty word for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ask Shane Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Manners cost nothing, and quite often can aid making a good impression.

As for it costing nothing to be nice, I disagree.
    Imagine being at an event or an occasion with someone who has repeatedly and deeply hurt you?
    They know they have, you know they have, everyone in the building knows they have and you have even laid out for them exactly why and how they hurt you?

Then they start chatting to you about the weather, about the kids or how the football went...

Making small talk, see by the OPs reasoning responding to that small talk costs nothing, isn't it nice to be nice?

But IMVHO, It costs! Massively!
    It's selling little bits of your self respect away to show some kind of veneer of "normality" to people looking on.

Tell them, look small talk with you isn't in my plans, and walk away.
    Do it politely, calmly and Fúck 'em all ;) :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

A lot of people classified as ‘assholes’, ‘dickheads’, ‘bellends’, ‘fückknuckles’, ‘ballbags’ are actually winners in life. Successful, wealthy, good looking etc.

While some of the people doing the classifying are the real assholes. Ineffectual and angry men spending their days on the internet jawing about people who they are unconsciously deeply jealous of.

You say assholes are good-looking....and winner's in life, lol so to be successful one needs a mixture of good looks and be a winner...

Fair play for undermining good looking people and winner's in a few paragraphs....

Most of the winner's I know are attractive and not assholes....

Who's sayin' toerag. Jog on ya vagrant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Omg pm me xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

nthclare wrote: »
    You say assholes are good-looking....and winner's in life, lol so to be successful one needs a mixture of good looks and be a winner...

Fair play for undermining good looking people and winner's in a few paragraphs....

Most of the winner's I know are attractive and not assholes....

Eh, pal, I think you picked my message up wrong.

• Advertisement

Good manners are a bourgeois artifice for the mechanism of social repression.

Being a dick often means speaking up in some real way (not online) , pointing out BS when you see it, and challenging people on their BS

You don't need to be a troll, or mean to old ladies, or steal sweets from children, but otherwise, I say go forth and be a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

You don't need to be a troll, or mean to old ladies, or steal sweets from children.
    Nobody really 'needs' to do those things but they are undeniably fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It more than some have to always be right, even to the point of making a fool of themselves in order to be right plus some are contrarians its an irriating personality type more than anything else. There is probably an underlying hint of nastiness in it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I can't abide rude people or bad manners and won't tolerate either but you need a little bit of 'nasty' in you too.

If you go around being nice trying to please people all of the time you will be treated like a doormat.

I can't abide rude people or bad manners and won't tolerate either but you need a little bit of 'nasty' in you too.

If you go around being nice trying to please people all of the time you will be treated like a doormat.

It’s a bit like those dweebs who dislike all women because said women don’t fall for their ‘I’m a nice guy’ routine. They don’t seem to realise that it’s them that are the unattractive asshole, and not the rugby playing chap with great teeth and a better personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

People are as*holes. There is a grey area in everyone.
    I used to work in retail and if someone didn't get their way or you "inconvenience" them you'd see them change.
    I remember one woman came up to my till and moaned about how the trays of busweiser were gone (on special for 20 euro) and that how some guy bought something like 6 of them a few minutes before (she said she saw him buy them on another till) The way she acted... urgh. Like everyone else got a free piece of cake but she wasn't offered any. It's a shop you twit. Thats just one tame example and I got loads.

If you don't realise how most people act/are in this world then you're naive.
    Of course theres good people out there. Few and far between. Also setting has a lot to do with it. Can't tell your boss to f-off but you can be rude as F to the waitress in the coffee shop for no reason. Pssh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Eh, pal, I think you picked my message up wrong.

Sorry Johnny, I reread it, I get you now.

You mean they're assholes because of their ego's and thinking because of their success and looks it gives them a free license to trample on others...

My mistake I'll take back my comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Keyzer wrote: »
    There are three types of people in this world: assholes, pussies and dicks...

Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get ****ed by dicks.

But dicks also **** assholes — assholes who just want to **** on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can **** an asshole is a dick, with some balls.

The problem with dicks is that they **** too much or **** when it isn't appropriate — and it takes a pussy to show them that.

But sometimes, pussies can be so full of **** that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are only an inch and half away from assholes.

I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know that if you don't let us **** this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in ****!

But have you ever seen a man eat his own head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I agree,

Don't know about calling him out like that. I'd make an allowance for it. Maybe he was not purposely being a prick and had something on his mind. Sometimes people can have all sorts going on and be in an emotional flux.

I know during the height of my own depression I could not effectively communicate and it made me look like an asshole to others. Constantly withdrawn and distant. People will pick on that sometimes and make light of the quiet nature to get the jollies of others.

its one thing workplaces need to improve on. Not having a go btw, I guess what I'm saying is sometimes you need to cut others a bit of slack.

Advertisement