Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[First-Time Buyer]What are the legal process of purchasing house?

Options
  • 16-07-2019 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi,

my wife and I are completely first-time buyers and we want to know what exactly a solicitor's job when purchasing a house, because we were quoted for 2k + vat for legal process, but I want to know what are the process that includes when I pay for a solicitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You're paying the solicitor for their time. If it's a straightforward sale then you'll go to the solicitor's office to sign various things and the solicitor will deal with all the financials. In the background they're doing things like making sure the title of the house is correct, any modifications are to regulation, nobody has inherited the house, etc etc. There's no point in getting worked up about the cost, you can't buy a house without a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

You get what you pay for. Don’t go cheap with a solicitor. We had quoted a few and had some price difference, not much though. The solicitor we spoke to that we picked had gone through the whole process with us and gave some great advice and tips on the phone initially. She was abit more expensive but as she said, your paying for her time and she can only do so much work in a day and she likes to give clients one and one time. You won’t realise how much is in involved or how often you’ll be in contact with solicitor. Their dealing with the auctioneer and bank in addition to sellers solicitor. Basically if someone thing somewhere goes wrong, it’s usually your solicitor your going to to see what can be done.

Your signing the legals for the bank with solicitor. And usually there are problems with legal title to be fixed.

So don’t focus on the price. Get recommendations from friends and family. Pick up the phone and talk to the solicitor and see if you felt they were helpful or knew what they are talking about.

Same for engineers. A house is the biggest thing you’ll buy so you want good people working for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A good solicitor is worth their money. In addition to doing the conveyancing and usual searches, we found ours to be very good at explaining everything to us. She took us through the entire contract and set of paperwork, making sure we understood everything we were signing up for. She also was great at giving us clear deadlines and instructions so that everything would be in place at the right time.

Your solicitor will deal with you, the estate agent, the seller’s solicitor and finally, your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Hi,

my wife and I are completely first-time buyers and we want to know what exactly a solicitor's job when purchasing a house, because we were quoted for 2k + vat for legal process, but I want to know what are the process that includes when I pay for a solicitor?

Any solicitor that gives you a quote should be explaining exactly what they will be doing for you and what all the involved costs are.
    We got multiple quotes and recommendations and I would advise everyone to do the same.
    The solicitors fee that we went with came in at about 1800+VAT and we are very happy with him so far.
    A word of warning, while it is definitely not something to skimp on, just because you get an expensive quote, doesn't necessarily mean you will get a great service. Get recommendations, get quotes, speak with the solicitors and use your intuition when making the final decision!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The solicitor makes sure that all bills are paid before the transaction is complete, this includes gas bill,s , esb bill ,etc
    So you are not left with extra expense,s after you buy the house .

Advertisement