Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

serfboard wrote: »
    Indeed. Noel Whelan was never a journalist, never presented himself as such, and never was presented as such. He was always presented as "barrister and political commentator".

Yeah, that's true. I do slightly object to that, mind you. Journalists are allowed to have opinions when writing features and commentary, but he is being described as a "pundit" today as opposed to a journalist, the latter which title I'd argue is one he deserves more than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Bit of a 'car crash' interview with Brian Hayes former FG MEP. He retired from the MEP gig and has apparently stepped straight into a role of being a PRO for the banks.

Going down like a lead balloon with the listeners. Would he not have been wiser to sit out a few years and then take on a role like this?

Depends what traction it gets, but poor publicity for FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Bit of a 'car crash' interview with Brian Hayes former FG MEP. He retired from the MEP gig and has apparently stepped straight into a role of being a PRO for the banks.

Going down like a lead balloon with the listeners. Would he not have been wiser to sit out a few years and then take on a role like this?

He agreed the role in November last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

It's part of the revolving door between the public and private sectors that goes on all over the world. Politicians in particular, but also senior public servants moving from government jobs to lobby for the private sector - and in particular for financial services (and often for Goldman Sachs).

And in fact, sometimes it works the other way around, where people from the private sector are brought into the public sector. Have a look at the career of Mario Draghi, for example - from general director of the Italian Treasury, to vice chairman and managing director of Goldman Sachs International, and then Governor of the Bank of Italy, and then to being chairman of the ECB.

Closer to home look at someone like John Bruton, who went from being Taoiseach, to being the European Union ambassador to the US, to then becoming chairman of financial services body, IFSC Ireland.

You then have to ask yourself this question - do you think that these people, while being public servants, will do anything that will not benefit the private sector, and in particular the financial services industry, when they might be the recipients of lucrative contracts from that industry when they finish? It's called "Regulatory Capture":
    When regulatory capture occurs, the interests of firms, organizations, or political groups are prioritized over the interests of the public, leading to a net loss for society.
    AFAIK, certain countries have a "decontamination" period for public servants when they leave office, whereby they cannot work for a certin period of time in an industry that they were previously in charge of regulating, although, IMO, this is just a sop. These guys have long memories of favours that were done for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Why shouldn't he take on a new role when he left politics? What would he and his young family live on for the few years you mention?

crossman47 wrote: »
    Why shouldn't he take on a new role when he left politics? What would he and his young family live on for the few years you mention?

Mr.Hayes would have been on a decent MEP salary for last five years plus unknown and possibly substantial expenses. On top of which he gets c €44000 as a leaving package according to https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mep-brian-crowley-to-get-350k-payout-and-14m-pension-922255.html Wouldn't that be enough to tide him over for at least a year?

Aside from which, I can't see any problem with ex MEPs working. But I do see a major problem with them swapping into related lobbying roles. A 'gamekeeper' one week and a 'poacher' next to use that metaphor. Opaque and sure to contribute to public skepticism of politics and big business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mr.Hayes would have been on a decent MEP salary for last five years plus unknown and possibly substantial expenses. On top of which he gets c €44000 as a leaving package according to https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mep-brian-crowley-to-get-350k-payout-and-14m-pension-922255.html Wouldn't that be enough to tide him over for at least a year?

Aside from which, I can't see any problem with ex MEPs working. But I do see a major problem with them swapping into related lobbying roles. A 'gamekeeper' one week and a 'poacher' next to use that metaphor. Opaque and sure to contribute to public skepticism of politics and big business.

Correct.

This crack of getting ‘ packages’ and ‘pensions’ should be offset by earnings after leaving a post.

I have some acceptance of ‘packages’ on leaving to compensate for extra work and stuff over the years, but this business of getting ‘Pensions’ to continue till death, whilst doing other highly paid work is for me a crock of schidt.

Time to sort out these tools who are rimming the taxpayer biggo.

Correct.

This crack of getting ‘ packages’ and ‘pensions’ should be offset by earnings after leaving a post.

I have some acceptance of ‘packages’ on leaving to compensate for extra work and stuff over the years, but this business of getting ‘Pensions’ to continue till death, whilst doing other highly paid work is for me a crock of schidt.

Time to sort out these tools who are rimming the taxpayer biggo.
    If you don't provide a public-service pension to decisionmakers in public office, be they politicians or civil servants, then lucrative private-sector careers are exactly what they are likely to pursue.

And how better to pursue such an opportunity than to befriend, or develop a good track record in defending such an industry?

I'm sure this is already happening to an extent. But leave some lad in the Central Bank in charge of making recommendations on banking policy, and then tell him he'll have to sort out his own pension, well it doesn't take a cynic to suspect what he might do.

I wouldn't think that the public would care less if retiring MEP Brian Hayes went and got a job in say a manufacturing or retail industry. But to take up the position of Chief Executive of the Banking and Payments Federation of Ireland https://www.bpfi.ie/about-bpfi/about-us/ represnting the banking industry in Ireland and from which I quote: 'Through the work of our Brussels and Frankfurt based offices, our active membership of the European Banking Federation and our well-established EU and international networks, we are well placed to represent Ireland’s banking and payments industry at an international level' is surely taking the proverbial p*ss out of the public. Gone overnight from an in depth position as a policy maker paid out of public monies to a lobbyist using the knowledge gained as a public representative.

I'm not anti FG by any stretch of the imagination but you'd think that there must have been someone having a word in his ear and advising him that it doesn't reflect well on the party. Or maybe it does and shows them to be hand in glove with an industry of which part of nearly pulled the country under the water and from which we're still recovering.

As a faux pas, it's a lot more indicting that the Bailey story.

If you don't provide a public-service pension to decisionmakers in public office, be they politicians or civil servants, then lucrative private-sector careers are exactly what they are likely to pursue.

And how better to pursue such an opportunity than to befriend, or develop a good track record in defending such an industry?

I'm sure this is already happening to an extent. But leave some lad in the Central Bank in charge of making recommendations on banking policy, and then tell him he'll have to sort out his own pension, well it doesn't take a cynic to suspect what he might do.

I think you misunderstand my post or point M.

I’m not referring to Ordinary Joe here I am referring to dudes like say Ivan Yeates , Bertie Ahearn, for example.

These guys are on mega pensions at relatively young ages.

I’m sure both of them are earning good moolah right now?

I’m sure they both got big ‘packages’ on ‘retiring’?

Why should the state be paying them ‘pensions ‘ on top of that?

Surely a pension is to tide you over when no longer in employment?

If the want to work on let them, but I would contend the ‘pension’ shouldn’t kick in till no longer employed and be ‘co ordinated’ with any other income from other sources.

That’s how I see it.

• Advertisement

I’m not referring to Ordinary Joe here I am referring to dudes like say Ivan Yeates , Bertie Ahearn, for example.

I’m sure both of them are earning good moolah right now?

I’m sure they both got big ‘packages’ on ‘retiring’?

Why should the state be paying them ‘pensions ‘ on top of that?

Surely a pension is to tide you over when no longer in employment?

If the want to work on let them, but I would contend the ‘pension’ shouldn’t kick in till no longer employed and be ‘co ordinated’ with any other income from other sources.

That’s how I see it.
    That only applies the "Little People" like you and I though Brendan in this "Great Little Country"

But the same applies to them, surely -- even moreso?

If we don't provide pensions for these guys, they'll all turn into Brian Hayes types, foreseeing a future for themselves in bank-advocacy, or similar.

Where is Dick Roche these days? Batt O'Keefe? Marys Harney and Coughlan?

Thankfully not in the public eye. We were stupid to elect them, but we'd be doubly-stupid to hand them power and then cause them to appease relatively lucrative industries during their time in office, more than they already did.

That only applies the "Little People" like you and I though Brendan in this "Great Little Country"

Indeed, indeed.

So to stop these folk we were stupid enough to elect, becoming some kind of advocates, we must pay them huge pensions, some from age 50 to the end, irrespective of what their other earnings are?

Along with huge ‘severance packages’ probably tax free.

Lookit, that’s money wasted in my book.

Indeed, indeed.

So to stop these folk we were stupid enough to elect, becoming some kind of advocates, we must pay them huge pensions, some from age 50 to the end, irrespective of what their other earnings are?

Along with huge ‘severance packages’ probably tax free.

Lookit, that’s money wasted in my book.
    Oireachtas pensions only kick in at retirement age these days, although not for those who qualified prior to about 2012, admittedly.

Means-testing them would be a good way of disincentivising politicians to pursue private sector work, actually

Although they could still just establish private companies for income purposes, though. Many ex politicians probably already do for tax-avoidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I appreciate terrible wrongs have been done to people but, at this stage, it just seems that the issue of an apology has become totally devalued and is turning into a "daily apology" slot ... particularly when someone is apologising for something they personally had no involvement whatever with.

Would it not be much better to actually resolve the issue/s and make sure, as far as possible, that there is no repetition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Very watery interview with varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

We got a report from a good citizen (aka Rat)

Very watery interview with varadkar.

Callan's Kicks - without the laughs.

• Advertisement

More words being dropped out from another expert: "body of work"... "big job of work" sez Sean. ;(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

More words being dropped out from another expert: "body of work"... "big job of work" sez Sean. ;(
    Going down the Joe Duffy route with Bodies !:eek:

DON'T SAY VERSA.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I thought one of the “selling points” of varadkar was he was good at the media etc etc media savvy

He was Effin woeful this morning

Stuttering and scuttering and stammering throughout

Sniggering inappropriately, nervous as befcuked in case he puts foot in it

Useless !!

Increasingly clear that

Fg backed the wrong horse (and ironically the members wanted Coveney not LV)

And ff are happy to let him swing in the wind as his party’s ratings continue to drop

I thought one of the “selling points” of varadkar was he was good at the media etc etc media savvy

He was Effin woeful this morning

Stuttering and scuttering and stammering throughout

Sniggering inappropriately, nervous as befcuked in case he puts foot in it

Useless !!

Increasingly clear that

Fg backed the wrong horse (and ironically the members wanted Coveney not LV)

And ff are happy to let him swing in the wind as his party’s ratings continue to drop
    Varadkar was / is all style and no substance .

Photo Shoot Phoney , As Real as Rocking Horse Sh!t !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

blinding wrote: »
    Varadkar was / is all style and no substance .

Photo Shoot Phoney , As Real as Rocking Horse Sh!t !

Sorry, you're wrong - there's no style to be had there.
    He came up the ranks as a economically-right libertarian type and has transformed into some poundland-Trudeau.
    Once he's off script he 'eh's' and 'ehms' his way through things.
    He's a gaffe-prone poser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He realized up in portrush that his ministerial keys wont open up every door :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Edwina starting to get the better of Miriam.

"Stay with us. I'm glad you joined us."

sligojoek wrote: »
    Edwina starting to get the better of Miriam.

"Stay with us. I'm glad you joined us."

Very surprised she isn't on Newstalk. Does she, like many here, have eyes only for Pat? (who's on holiday)

Ohh is the Angelus gonna be late ?

RTÉ producers shouting at the screen for this guy to hurry up and announce Boris.

Edit: 12pm and no BONGs. There shall be letters over this.

"I'm really sorry Ronan Collins for being late." Yeah, I'm sure Ronan Collins' ipod was insulted.

You think somebody would have had the common sense to tell Ronan Collins to stay at home today, and just cover the big story.

• Advertisement

Ohh is the Angelus gonna be late ?

RTÉ producers shouting at the screen for this guy to hurry up and announce Boris.

Edit: 12pm and no BONGs. There shall be letters over this.
    Another Victory for Brexit .

Borrowed money for a holiday. You really can't help some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Borrowed money for a holiday. You really can't help some people.

Couldn't bear Meeriam after about 10 mins.... what was the story?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Couldn't bear Meeriam after about 10 mins.... what was the story?

Lad giving out about the high payback rates of loan sharks. I thought he was buying bread and kid's shoes, but no, he wanted to head to Spain for a few weeks.

The working poor want to travel? You'd think they'd be content with buying children's shoes, sugarless tea and butterless bread.

Honestly, I'm afraid of all this "Progress".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

I need a 2nd car in my house (large family). I've done the sums and can't afford it.

However, should I now go and get a loan that I can't afford?...in the name of progress of course

jay0109 wrote: »
    I need a 2nd car in my house (large family). I've done the sums and can't afford it.

However, should I now go and get a loan that I can't afford?...in the name of progress of course
    So you work, and you probably work hard. And you can't afford to organise your family in a fairly normal way?

That's pretty rubbish. But you're using this example, which is a fairly big infringement on your life, as a way of attacking other working class people?

These people are desperate and are just trying to live fairly ordinary lives, as you are. They are not the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

These people are desperate and are just trying to live fairly ordinary lives, as you are. They are not the problem.
    Indeed. The minimum wage being far behind the living wage which is itself being mainly inflated by the exorbitant cost of housing is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lad giving out about the high payback rates of loan sharks. I thought he was buying bread and kid's shoes, but no, he wanted to head to Spain for a few weeks.

FFS.

So you work, and you probably work hard. And you can't afford to organise your family in a fairly normal way?

That's pretty rubbish. But you're using this example, which is a fairly big infringement on your life, as a way of attacking other working class people?

Not quiet sure why you felt the need to throw a dig like that at my situation.

I'm not attacking no one. A holiday to Spain is not part of a 'normal' life. it's a luxury which should only be undertaken if it can be afforded.

No one in Ireland is desperate unless they've made their life that way. There's plenty of social supports provided by the working people through their taxes to keep everyone comfortable.
    But holiday's to Spain....work and save or forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

".... Our own hero, Marty Morrissey"

The working poor want to travel?

Maybe instead of speaking to Paddy O'Gorman, the guy should have spoken to a few different financial advisors and see how many of them recommended going on a holiday paid for by a loan shark as a solution to his financial issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

The working poor want to travel? You'd think they'd be content with buying children's shoes, sugarless tea and butterless bread.

Honestly, I'm afraid of all this "Progress".

He could have saved for the holiday or gone to a Credit Union to borrow at a reasonable rate.

Not quiet sure why you felt the need to throw a dig like that at my situation.

I'm not attacking no one. A holiday to Spain is not part of a 'normal' life. it's a luxury which should only be undertaken if it can be afforded.
    First of all I don't know anything about you so I'm sorry that you took offence at a phrase I used but it wasn't a dig, I just said anyone who needs to go to a moneylender is in a pretty bad situation

Second of all, I don't think a holiday is a luxury per se. It's à fairly normal thing to do, definitely down the list of necessities but everyone needs a break and to get away from the ordinary stress of life.
    PinotNero wrote: »
    He could have saved for the holiday or gone to a Credit Union to borrow at a reasonable rate.
    The credit unions do the same credit checks as the banks do, and they have very similar lending criteria. So just as a pretty drastic example if you have, say, gotten into trouble with your mortgage and maybe you had to leave your house, as many people have, there's no way you're getting as much as a fiver off the credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

First of all I don't know anything about you so I'm sorry that you took offence at a phrase I used but it wasn't a dig, I just said anyone who needs to go to a moneylender is in a pretty bad situation

Second of all, I don't think a holiday is a luxury per se. It's à fairly normal thing to do, definitely down the list of necessities but everyone needs a break and to get away from the ordinary stress of life.

Wouldn't be much of a holiday if you have a loan shark waiting for you when you get back! :mad:

One man's necessity is another man's luxury! In my book, a foreign holiday is a luxury...maybe that's as a result of being an 80's child when the furthest I ever got was Achill Island, Bundoran or Mosney for a day trip.
    My problem even back then was work....my parent's worked very hard during the Summer. Never had time for holidays

One man's necessity is another man's luxury! In my book, a foreign holiday is a luxury...maybe that's as a result of being an 80's child when the furthest I ever got was Achill Island, Bundoran or Mosney for a day trip.
    These days, a holiday in Achill or Bundoran (Mosney is gone unless you drive up to the airport and claim asylum!) will cost you more than a holiday to Spain anyway.

I'm a bit puzzled by this notion that the poor should essentially 'know your place' and not expect to be able to take a holiday. The people who work the hardest are often those who earn the least, and they should deserve a holiday more than most people.

These days, a holiday in Achill or Bundoran (Mosney is gone unless you drive up to the airport and claim asylum!) will cost you more than a holiday to Spain anyway.

I'm a bit puzzled by this notion that the poor should essentially 'know your place' and not expect to be able to take a holiday. The people who work the hardest are often those who earn the least, and they should deserve a holiday more than most people.

In fairness Mil, I see no such notion in any of the posts here.

The main point is that borrowing money from a loan shark for a holiday, given the clues which that portrays, can only end up badly, sometimes very badly.

It would be my best guess that the lad who went to the Loan Shark was not in employment and therefore does not 'work the hardest'.
    I recall him saying he was paying back up to €50 a week from his welfare

• Advertisement

In fairness Mil, I see no such notion in any of the posts here.

The main point is that borrowing money from a loan shark for a holiday, given the clues which that portrays, can only end up badly, sometimes very badly.
    Yes that's fair enough, but people are generally not stupid Brendan. If they're going to loan sharks they probably have no other choice, and it's a bit naïve suggesting they trot up to the credit union. That's all I'm saying. The credit union is now just as risk-averse as the banks are, and it follows very strict lending criteria.

If someone just wants a breather for themselves and their family, I don't really blame them for going to a moneylender, risky and expensive as that this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement