Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting Period House Offices to Apartments

Options
  • 21-07-2019 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some suggestions/advice in terms of the scale of difficulty in taking a building like this:

https://www.daft.ie/5804729

I believe it was originally a house but was converted to offices at some point in the past.

I'm just wondering how much work would it be to convert it into maybe 4 apartments. Assuming getting planning permission to do this was not an issue (and it may well be) I'm wondering:

(1) If you're converting an old building like this what standards would the apartments have to meet? I'm assuming they would not have to meet current regs re apartment sizes/dual aspect etc? If they did it would be dead in the water.

(2) This is a listed building/protected structure but could you still adjust the interior configuration of it?

(3) I'm thinking you'd need to (a) separate the building into 4 apartments (b) add kitchens/bathrooms to each one (c) add some sort of separate heating system for each (I'm guessing having boilers/gas fired central heating would be harder/more expensive than electric) (d) separate electricity supply/meter to each apartment. Is there anything else basic I'm missing here, like needing fire escapes etc?

Any advice on this, I suspect it's probably a non runner, would be appreciated.

Thank!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A listed building will be a complete headache to convert...... Unless you can work within the existing layout parameters.

If you have to start doing major internal works then youre in for a world of pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

This doc may be useful for guiding you through some of the issues you could face https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/bringing_back_homes_final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Gileadi wrote: »
    This doc may be useful for guiding you through some of the issues you could face https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/bringing_back_homes_final.pdf

Thats a great document

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Fire Safety Certificate required also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks very much for the replies guys.

However from reading that document it looks a non runner as would require extensive work. I think it's this category:

Option c
    Conversion of a multi-storey building
    (non-dwelling) into multiple dwellings

Typical Scale of Intervention
    • Building Regulations* apply, as this work is a
    material change of use to the building. Typical
    works will include:
    > Fire separation and sound insulation between
    dwellings (walls and floors) and access
    corridors
    > Provision of independent services to each
    dwelling (including heating, lighting and
    plumbing)
    > Installation of integrated fire-alarm system in
    the building
    > Upgrade of thermal insulation
    > Replacement of windows
    NOTE: Where the building is greater than 3
    storeys in height, further requirements may
    result.
    • Rental Regulations apply in any case where it is
    proposed to offer a dwelling for rental.**

The fire separation/sound insulation/thermal insulation stuff sounds like it would be major work to do and thus render the whole thing far too costly to do. I reckoned it would only be an option if you could essentially divide up the building without having to do major work to it and unless I'm missing somthing that does not seem possible?

• Advertisement
Advertisement