Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-07-2019, 16:01   #76
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblunt View Post

I'm sure Aguero has an ok level of English and I don't blame him for not speaking English when the media will jump on anything thats left unclear. Torres didnt interview for ages in English despite it being known that he was getting on fine, similar with Pochettino. Its hard to blame them really. Geoff Shreeves' incident with Lacazette wouldn't do much to convince players to give it a go either.
This is a really really good interview with Hernan Crespo. For somebody who didn't spend long in England (a lot less than Aguero!), his English surprised me
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-07-2019, 17:42   #77
el_gaucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
This is a really really good interview with Hernan Crespo. For somebody who didn't spend long in England (a lot less than Aguero!), his English surprised me
Surprised me too. He also speaks Italian very well. Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles (brutal accent apart) learned English well back in day. In the Maradona documentary film you can hear that he seems to speak good Italian.
16-07-2019, 17:57   #78
gimli2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_gaucho View Post
Surprised me too. He also speaks Italian very well. Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles (brutal accent apart) learned English well back in day. In the Maradona documentary film you can hear that he seems to speak good Italian.
It was probably important for his cocaine negotiations (allegedly) . I do like Maradona though.
16-07-2019, 18:20   #79
chicorytip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ush
Scandi's are good at English. The languages are close. But I wouldn't say they're are good at languages. There's been steep fall-off in third language acquisition.

"F*** Off Norway" (Paul Gascoigne, Polyglot 1996).
(2) thanks from:
16-07-2019, 21:13   #80
el_gaucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicorytip View Post
"F*** Off Norway" (Paul Gascoigne, Polyglot 1996).
You of little faith.

https://youtu.be/KNqRXb4IyJE

I have to admit I searched for this more in hope than expectation. He is by no means fluent, but you know what he’s saying. And remember it’s 20 years after he played in Italy.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-07-2019, 00:58   #81
yabadabado

Julio Geordio springs to mind .
18-07-2019, 09:03   #82
Larry Bee

There is an interesting article here on why Pochettino insisted on using an interepter when dealing with the press on England.
https://www.football365.com/news/poc...an-interpreter
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion